Red Sox untouchable prospects??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oregonwakefan49. Show oregonwakefan49's posts

Red Sox untouchable prospects??

If the Sox are going to trade for a marquee type of player/pitcher before the deadline (Pence/Ubaldo/Felix-if he is made available), which of the Sox prospects would you consider off-limits/untouchable for these caliber of players?

I keep coming back to Lavarnway, Iglesias and Ranaudo.

Other than these 3, I could probably let go of anyone else.  Your thoughts guys?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

Re: Red Sox untouchable prospects??

Sounds about right to me.  I bet in Theo's mind, though, it's nobody - if the deal and the fit is good enough.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I don't know much about  Ranaudo

but IMO no way should  Iglesias be a deal breaker

I have seen little to suggest he will have the SS job for very long in boston

and have seen much more to suggest he won't

I could go eitherway with Lavarnway

while I would be very excited to have  him

I'd be wondering if his trade value would ever be higher

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

absolutely no young prospect is untouchable if hernandez is the target, but many should be untouchable if guys like beltran is the target.

hernandez has a proven, top level major league track record, is young and is a starting pitcher under team control for several more years.  beltran-like guys are older, have a much bigger injury history, are NOT starting pitchers and are basically two month rental guys.

middlebrooks, lavarnway, renaudo, iglesius, etc can all be traded for hernandez, but none of them for beltran.

some of the trade possibles that have been listed (willingham, spilsborough, etc) should only be considered for low level, low prospect types.  and maybe, only for a bag of balls and an old catcher's helmet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I'd say the untouchable names are ZERO if reward is King Felix. He'd be almost another Pedro.

But we must live on Earth, in reality.....so otherwise, my untouchables are Reddick, Lavernaway and Middlebrooks.
    Ranaudo, Iglesias, Brentz, etc. are only " Very DIFFICULT to touch", pending the right deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I'd have to say it always depends on the player the Sox would receive, for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the guys i would not want to trade would be middlebrooks, ranaudo, larvarnway, and iglesias. Anyone else is fine. But that list would change if the trade was for say felix hernandez. For ubaldo i would trade ranaudo. But thats about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Umm, guess I should probably learn to spell his name right, if making him the next-Fisk untouchable, LOL.

Lavarnway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

when i think about our prospects i touch myself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The Sox would give up any two of those prospects for Masterson and I doubt Cleveland would say yes.  Iglesias stock has to have dropped, his numbers in AAA would make him on par with the worst hitters in MLB.  He is young and of course there is a good chance of a rebound.  Pitching prospects are not nearly as sure a bet, so Ranaudo's stock is way below Masterson's.  Kalish and Middlebrooks are not elite prospects at the moment, they could be but not at the moment.  Lars was probably rated higher than Middlebrooks is now and we know what happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

In order from most untouchable to least untouchable, my top 5 are,
    1. Middlebrooks (he has everything you look for in a stud player)
    2. Ranaudo (the only reason he isnt 1 is i would trade him for stud sp)
    3. Lavarnway (He's a smart kid, a hard worker, and he can flat out hit)
    4. Iglesias (He hasnt shown me much, and i feel he could get a good return)
    5. Kalish (He's an all out player with good tools, and i dont think he would get a good enough return right now because of his injury)
    honorable mentions are,
    Josh Reddick (He stays out of the top five because i think his return could be high, but he is a very talented player that i would prefer to keep)
    and Felix Doubront (A lefty with his stuff doesnt come around all that often)
    Ofcourse i would trade any of these guys if the right situation presented itself, but i see all these guys as potential future impact players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oregonwakefan49. Show oregonwakefan49's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox untouchable prospects??:
    Let me get this right, and by no means I'm not being mean. Seattle GM calls Theo and says King Felix is on the market. Theo replies I wont trade a Single A pitcher, for a young, great Cy Young winner, if thats part of the deal.
    Posted by bobbysu

No, I totally get it.  I mean, you would give up any prospect for Felix.  I guess I did not phrase my question right.  I guess I should have asked you guys to rank the prospects and who you would be most reluctant to trade.  I am in the minority that thinks Felix might actually get moved next week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

You cant give up Middlebrooks.  Power hitting 3rd basemen are hard to find.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'm right there with THERIMRATTLER and JIMEDFRED.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I remember a few months ago arguing with some fans of other teams about how thin our minor league system is.  I made the argument (as many of us in here have) that there is a lot of lower level talent in our system that should start to shine through soon and rise stock of our minor league system.

We are starting to see that this year.  With what is perceived as a very good draft this year as well, and assuming we sign all of our top draft picks (I'm sure we will) that trend may continue into next year. 

I saw Middlebrooks/Jacobs/Brentz/Raunado as guys that would raise their stock.  People like Lavarnway completely took me by surprise; I knew he was good with talent, but I had no idea he would improve and take such a large leap this year. 

Miles Head is another guy who really surprised me, seems like a real offensive machine....It will be really interesting to see what he and Jacobs do next year when they start to face more advanced pitching.  Hitting .300 with 20 HR is one thing in single A but when you can bring that to the next level, then to me showing the ability to evolve that talent, mold and improve is what can separate you from the pack.  

There are a couple guys who had down years who I'm still really high on and I will be watching next year to see how they bounce back, I'm talking about guys like Briton, Pimental and oscar Tejeda.  

But thats the thing about following prospects every year some will surprise you and some will fade and fall. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Will Middlebrooks is having a breakout year at Double A, but here are this year's minor league stats for five thirdbase prospects born within 14 months of each other:

A. DOB 9-11-87, 362 PA, .266/.296/.415/.711
    B. DOB 11-3-87, 359 PA, .336/.401/.495/.896
    C. DOB 8-14-88, 431 PA, .261/.338/.503/.841
    D. DOB 9-9-88, 309 PA, .311/.356/.549/.905
    E. DOB 10-31-88, 367 PA, .351/.415/.583/.998

A. Brandon Laird, Yankee organization
    B. Kyle Seager, Mariner organization
    C. Alex Liddi, Mariner organization
    D. Will Middlebrooks, Red Sox organization
    E. Vincent Catricala, Mariner organization

Perhaps Middlebrooks' closest statistical comp is Catricala, who inflated his numbers in the hitter-friendly California League before maintaining those numbers in the less friendly Double A Southern League:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=3B&sid=t104&t=p_pbp&pid=502775

Seager posted most of his 2011 minor league numbers in the Double A Southern League before moving on to Triple A and a brief MLB call-up:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=572122

Middlebrooks is a bright prospect, but is he untouchable?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Middlebrooks was just elevated to #1 on the soxprospects list yesterday. He certainly looks the part and 3rd basemen are hard to find but San Diego has several 3rd base prospects who might be better than Middlebrooks if I remember correctly. I'm not excited about Middlebrooks but he does appear to be a solid prospect. I just hope he can keep it up through next year. He was never that good until the past year or so.

Sections
Shortcuts