Red Sox use Skype and Yankees Telephone to Head Hunt Draft Prospects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Red Sox use Skype and Yankees Telephone to Head Hunt Draft Prospects

A friend of mine is being scouted by InEpstein. His minions have used Skype to interview my friend, who is rated in the top 50 prospects in the upcoming draft. He is all set with a baseball scholarship to the top University in the world. The Yankees have talked with him by telephone. He said the Red Sox staff was plastic and trying to appear cool. He said the Yankees' front office was all business and to the point.

My friend will sign with a MLB team only if the signing bonus is large enough to make it worth his while to postpone his higher education. So it will come down to the money, not whether Theo uses Skype.

Theo, stop selling low and buying high, and stop trying to be cool when you are a gorilla head.  

I disdain the Yankees, but I respect they way they do business.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Red Sox use Skype and Yankees Telephone to Head Hunt Draft Prospects

A friend of mine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

I respect the Steinbrenner way, even if I disdain the NY Yankees. There are, of course, a few Yankee players I like, as players and people.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Softy, Dillon Maples is a stud. 20 strikeouts a few weeks ago for North Carolina. Top 50 guy. Best of luck to him!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox use Skype and Yankees Telephone to Head Hunt Draft Prospects:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

I didn't know you were the e-trade kid until now Zac!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Like any prospect, my friend will have to manage absurd expectations and hype. If he makes it to AAA and has many years in the minors, that's actually doing better than most prospects. The odds are stacked against him for a MLB career, but if he doesn't make it it won't be because of a lack of hard work or bad character traits. He will do his best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Red Sox use Skype and Yankees Telephone to Head Hunt Draft Prospects:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine is being scouted by InEpstein. His minions have used Skype to interview my friend, who is rated in the top 50 prospects in the upcoming draft. He is all set with a baseball scholarship to the top University in the world. The Yankees have talked with him by telephone. He said the Red Sox staff was plastic and trying to appear cool. He said the Yankees' front office was all business and to the point. My friend will sign with a MLB team only if the signing bonus is large enough to make it worth his while to postpone his higher education. So it will come down to the money, not whether Theo uses Skype. Theo, stop selling low and buying high, and stop trying to be cool when you are a gorilla head.   I disdain the Yankees, but I respect they way they do business.

Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

It's gotta be a lie as we all know you don't have any friends softball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Sorry but just using the phone in this day and age is weak in my opinion.

You have no idea if you are talking to the guy you think you are.
    Was he talking to Cashman or?????
    You can not see if any one else is there and what they might be shoving under the callers nose as he is talking to you.

Where as with skype or any of the other video conferencing media you can see to whom you are talking. Since most people like seeing to whom they are speaking especially when discussing money and contracts, as well as seeing who is also in the room, seems video conferencing is hands down so much better than just a phone call in today's world.

Despite you and your friends try at saying it is plastic.

So your "friend" has a baseball scholarship to the best school in the world would that be Harvard or Yale or Brown or Stanford or Princeton or MIT or CIT or U of PA or Dartmouth or Duke .....??????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

Ive been recruiting by twitter. I'll send you a pitcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Some may not get it because of a "generation gap" but most of these kids grew up in this digital age, and are used to using Technology for everything.  Not only is skype a great idea but I would think ideally many people would be comfortable with it.  You can talk to them just as you would over a telephone but you can also see them face to face.  

Maybe this story is true, and if it is there are a million things that can rub a person the wrong way and I highly doubt Theo using skype and the Yankees classically using the telephone is going to be the "deal breaker" to who recruits talent better than the other.   I really don't see any use in this post other than than a weak excuse to bash theo. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

My friend knew the Skype stunt was contrived to try and be "cool". To him, these are old guys simply trying to impress him. He was not impressed and has his focus in the right place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

He is a friend of yours.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Turning this troll thread into something, I love the advent of skype. It works incredibly well and it allows me to seemlessly "visit" people that I've met at college who live hundreds of miles away at the moment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

LOL boomer

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

You have turned this thread into drivel. Please post elsewhere, NYsOXFAN

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Skype is not cooler or hiper, it does allow face-to-face commication. Skype is becoming huge in the business world. My company just implemented it and it is rather amazing.
    Also the best University in the world you are most likely referring to is UNC, which is not, it is good but give me Yale, Stanford or Cal if you a better education and have a chance at a CWS.
    You are a retired attorney what are you doing with a 18 year old friend?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Skype rocks. My parents get to see my kids. I can speak face to face with my brother or sister. Chances are it was used by the RS because it allows for a greater variety of communication. If the player felt differently, that may say something about the player more than the team.
    If a person were to communicate the players (friends?) feelings on the internet,  that says much more about that person than the player or the team. I assume the player can communicate on this forum, himself, if he'd like to. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

So the kid will chase the money.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox use Skype and Yankees Telephone to Head Hunt Draft Prospects:
    [QUOTE]My friend knew the Skype stunt was contrived to try and be "cool". To him, these are old guys simply trying to impress him. He was not impressed and has his focus in the right place.

Your right he did have his head in the right place, and hopefully he refuses to sign with the Sox...I mean seeesh why do we even like the Sox right?  Godforbid you would ever suggest a top talent in this nation go to the team you supposedly love.

And how exactly is a man of retirement age "good friends" with an 18 year old.  Correct me if I'm wrong but unless he's your grandson (which I'm sure you would have said so upfront) I'm betting you barely know him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why is it that everyone keeps believing a troll? Are you people lonely? What a complete waste of your time in responding to this drivel. Even Harness would be ashamed and embarassed by this. Sit back and act like a Red Sox fan and start a decent thread on your own. Unbelievable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Don't worry Echo nobody believes you.... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]My friend knew the Skype stunt was contrived to try and be "cool". To him, these are old guys simply trying to impress him. He was not impressed and has his focus in the right place.
    If Skype is the "cool" way to do it now, when did the telephone overtake the telegraph?

But in all seriousness, we now have a prospect we can wish to fail. Softlaw, "close friend" of a high schooler.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

I went to high school with his Dad, who I have been friends with for many years. I know his kid quite well. No, I haven't been twittering like Weiner.

As for the best University, Cal is the former faculty home of the Unibomber and is an overpriced service in a radical Leftists environment. Stanford is also overpriced and relatively new to educational history. Yale would be the only place that has any competitive merit, but it is absurdly priced. Value is very important in any education.

Sections
Shortcuts