Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez

According to ESPN's Gordon Edes, the Red Sox have been talking about trading for Gio Gonzalez. His name has come up and has been talked about "widely" in the Red Sox organization.

If we get him, imagaine a rotation like this:

Gonzalez
    Lester
    Beckett
    Buchholz
    Aceves

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez

what are the A's going to be asking for? it's got to be some big package of prospects....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Athletics reportedly are seeking a package comparable to the package the A's received in December 2007 for Dan Haren (and Connor Robertson): Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Chris Carter, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland and Greg Smith:

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2011/11/21/as-arent-sending-andrew-bailey-gio-gonzalez-anywhere-right-now-at-least/

Oakland is unlikely to find a comparable package for Gio Gonzalez, but I doubt the Red Sox can make a competitive offer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/22/hartnett-yankees-can-meet-oaklands-price-for-gio-gonzalez/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]The Athletics reportedly are seeking a package comparable to the package the A's received in December 2007 for Dan Haren (and Connor Robertson): Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Chris Carter, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland and Greg Smith: http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2011/11/21/as-arent-sending-andrew-bailey-gio-gonzalez-anywhere-right-now-at-least/ Oakland is unlikely to find a comparable package for Gio Gonzalez, but I doubt the Red Sox can make a competitive offer.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

he's going to be tuff to get....i was reading that and i seen kurt suzuki's name..i would love to get suzuki... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It would be a great addition to the staff, though I see you took the opportunity to slide Aceves into the 5 spot. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i know the red sox told aceves to prepare to start but i hope they keep him in the bullpen...if they can't sign a couple of free agents then slide him in the 5th spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Does it look like Bedard is gone for certain? I would not mind him coming back as the #5.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Does it look like Bedard is gone for certain? I would not mind him coming back as the #5.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Do you think his two months in Boston left a favorable impression on Erik Bedard?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : Do you think his two months in Boston left a favorable impression on Erik Bedard?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    Things haven't been optimal in Seattle for a long time Hill. I'm hopeful. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Gonzalez would be a very nice addition to the Sox staff. If the Yankees are interested in him too it will not be easy to get him. I'm not sure we can put together a package of prospects that the A's would prefer over what NY can offer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : Things haven't been optimal in Seattle for a long time Hill. I'm hopeful. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, Boom.

After Erik Bedard's trade to Boston, the Mariners went 22-33 while the Red Sox went 24-32. However, I suspect the expectations were different.

The early results from Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik's first three drafts have been encouraging (although Zduriencik will have a hard time topping his Milwaukee drafts that produced MVP Ryan Braun, All Stars Prince Fielder, Yovani Gallardo, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart and J.J. Hardy, plus likely future All Star Brett Lawrie). The M's still need hitters as the top three prospects are probaby pitchers James Paxton, Danny Hultzen and Taijuan Walker (all taken in recent first rounds, Walker with the compensatory pick from the Red Sox signing of Adrian Beltre).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

If Oakland will take Doubrant, Renaudo, Reddick, Lavarnway and Lowrie for Suzuki and Gonzalez then I saw the Sox go for it.  If not, move on.  Gonzalez is unproven and those five guys would all be ML ready STARTERS for Oakland except for maybe Renaudo who would be a year away.  Suzuki and Gonzalez will price themselves out of Oakland's range soon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

In Response to Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]According to ESPN's Gordon Edes, the Red Sox have been talking about trading for Gio Gonzalez. His name has come up and has been talked about "widely" in the Red Sox organization. If we get him, imagaine a rotation like this: Gonzalez Lester Beckett Buchholz Aceves
    Posted by redsoxfan28[/QUOTE]

Gonzalez won't be our #1 starter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]If Oakland will take Doubrant, Renaudo, Reddick, Lavarnway and Lowrie for Suzuki and Gonzalez then I saw the Sox go for it.  If not, move on.  Gonzalez is unproven and those five guys would all be ML ready STARTERS for Oakland except for maybe Renaudo who would be a year away.  Suzuki and Gonzalez will price themselves out of Oakland's range soon.
    Posted by IowaSoxFan[/QUOTE]
    The already pedestrian on-base percentages of Josh Reddick, Jed Lowrie and Ryan Lavarnway (.327, .303 and .302 in 2011) could take a serious hit at the Oakland Coliseum. Felix Doubront has never been a highly regarded prospect. Lavarnway and Anthony Ranaudo, who struggled in his first professional season, might be the only players of interest to the Athletics.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : The already pedestrian on-base percentages of Josh Reddick, Jed Lowrie and Ryan Lavarnway (.327, .303 and .302 in 2011) could take a serious hit at the Oakland Coliseum. Felix Doubront has never been a highly regarded prospect. Lavarnway and Anthony Ranaudo, who struggled in his first professional season, might be the only players of interest to the Athletics.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was a good deal for both teams.  It should be the MAX the Sox give up for an unproven Gonzalez. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think gio gonzalez would be a great pick up. there is no way they get that kind of return for him though. he is not proven enough. haren had 3 years as a full time starter under his belt before he got dealt. If your going to trade a package like that you would only do it for a proven front of the rotation starter. I hope the sox do find a way to land gio. he is the kind of pitcher we need. as for kurt suzuki i would pass on him. i really wanna see what lavarnway can do at the major league level. the guy has huge power and hopefully he will be able to improve his defensive game. then again he cant be much worse than salty. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : I didn't say it was a good deal for both teams.  It should be the MAX the Sox give up for an unproven Gonzalez. 
    Posted by IowaSoxFan[/QUOTE]
    Clay Buchholz's 2010 WAR of 3.8 marked the only season the Red Sox righthander posted a WAR over 1.3.

Gio Gonzalez, who is a year younger than Buchholz, has posted WAR of 3.2 and 3.5 the past two seasons.

Which player is more proven?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

hill,

i think the point he is making is that trading those caliber of players should net you a proven ffront of the rotation starter as opposed to gio who is relatively unproven. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]hill, i think the point he is making is that trading those caliber of players should net you a proven ffront of the rotation starter as opposed to gio who is relatively unproven. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    The problem is that the caliber of the listed Red Sox players is not high enough to land a front-of-rotation starter better than Gio Gonzalez.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I had a feeling a trade would be the way we get a good starter, but getting Gio would be nice. His numbers are helped by playing in Oakland, but a 4.32 road ERA is not bad.

A career WHIP over 1.400 is troublesome. He's only 26 and has 4 years of team control.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : Do you think his two months in Boston left a favorable impression on Erik Bedard?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

No. But I have yet to hear a name truly worth listening about for #5. Bedard was low key and seemd like he was a good fit had he been healthy. I would have no problem with him slated as the #5... if he cannot stay healthy than so-what. He is only a 5, and as we have seen they are a dime a dozen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

For the ridiculous asking price they want, they can have him..No way they get a Dan Haren haul IMO..Gio is really good, but not worth 5 top prospects..get real..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Bedard had some of the worst calls I've ever seen from the umpires behind the plate. Laughable really, and constantly hurting his pitch count and keeping innings going that should have ended before runs were scored. I have no idea what that was about, but it certainly took him out of games early.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts