Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez

Oakland is unlikely to find a comparable package for Gio Gonzalez, but I doubt the Red Sox can make a competitive offer.  Hill

Agree.  What are the Red Sox going to offer, short of Ellsbury, that lands Gonzalez?  The answer is nothing.

Who do the Red Sox have penciled into the rotation right now, Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Aceves, .........  Given Clay's health, Josh's inconsistency, Jon being good but not great and the fact that Aveces might be in the bullpen...... and that is a lot of question marks in a 170 milllion starting rotation if you ask me.

I hope the new GM can make it work.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Gio Gonzalez will cost more than the Sox have available to trade.     No point is setting the already barren farm system back another 2-3 years.     Offering  Michael Bowden, Kyle Weiland  Josh Reddick, or Lars Anderson won't get a deal done.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

BB was bored the other day and decided to float a Gio trade balloon to see what would be shoppers would pay.
    It would be like Ben saying we've got Beckett with his 2.84  ERA what would shoppers be willing to pay for him. No replies.
    What could we get for him if we pay $5 M of his annual salary? Prospects...sorry no sale today we want a #3,4, or 5 starter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHO ???  IS THAT THE BEST WE CAN DO ???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]The Pros Working with two fastballs (two- and four-seamer) in the 91-94 mph range a hammer curve with two-plane break in the upper-70′s, Gonzalez misses plenty of bats (career 8.59 K/9 and 9.1% swing-and-miss rate) and generates a health amount of ground balls (47.5%). That’s helped keep his FIP comfortably better than league average, 7% better in each of the last two seasons. Gio’s changeup isn’t much more than a show-me pitch, a low-80′s offering he’s thrown fewer than 7% of the time in the big leagues. Despite that, he actually has a reverse split because his curve is that good. Righties have posted a .321 wOBA against him in 1,786 plate appearances while lefties have gotten him to tune of .341 wOBA in 547 plate appearances. I suspect the platoon split will even out a bit once he starts facing more same-side hitters. Other than a bout with shoulder stiffness during Spring Training in 2009, Gonzalez has been perfectly healthy as a pro. He’s never been on the DL and has eclipsed the 200 IP plateau in each of the past two seasons. He’s thrown at least 150 IP every year since 2006. MLBTR projects Gonzalez to earn $3.6M in 2012, his first time through arbitration as a Super Two player. He’ll be arbitration-eligible three more times before becoming a free agent after the 2016 season. That’s as friendly as contract situations get. The Cons Gonzalez has fought a career-long battle with his fastball command, and it shows in his walk rates. His 4.05 BB/9 in 2011 was his lowest since 2007, but it was still the highest in the AL ( A.J. Burnett was second at 3.92 BB/9) and second highest in MLB among qualified starters. His 91 walks led the league this year, one year after his 92 walks finished second to C.J. Wilson. Gio’s career unintentional walk rates are 4.35 uIBB/9 in the bigs and 3.97 uIBB/9 in the minors. Although his walk rates have improved each year in the show , Gonzalez has also thrown fewer pitches in the strike zone each season. He bottomed out by throwing just 42.5% of his pitches in the zone in 2011, down about 2.5% from two years ago. In ten career starts against the patient offenses of the Yankees and Red Sox (five each), he’s managed to complete six innings of work just four times. It happened more than seven years ago, but Gonzalez did get kicked off his high school team following an altercation with his coach that actually had to do with his brother’s playing time. He fell a bit in a draft because of the subsequent makeup concerns. Gonzalez is a bit on the small side, listed at 6-foot-0 and 205 lbs. on the Athletics official site . Old school types will question his durability because of that, fair or not. Gonzalez just turned 26 in mid-September, so (theoretically) his best years are still ahead of him and any team that trades for him would be getting basically all of his peak seasons. That means he will not be easy to acquire, and Billy Beane would have every right to ask for Jesus Montero as part of a package to acquire the southpaw. For comparison’s sake, the Mariners turned Doug Fister and his four years of team control into three young, big league ready players (a starting pitcher, a reliever, a platoon corner outfielder) and a top five caliber prospect (in a typical farm system, not all of baseball), and he didn’t have the same kind of track record as Gonzalez at the time of the deal, plus he’s 18 months older. The first Dan Haren trade is an apt comparison as well, though he had three years of team control left, not four. I’m very much on the fence with Gonzalez. Lefties that can miss bats with many peak years ahead of them are about as valuable as baseball commodities get, but the lack of control is very scary. Let’s put it this way, I have an easier time envisioning Gio developing into Oliver Perez than I do Randy Johnson. Gonzalez has ace-potential, I’m not denying that one bit, but he has a major hurdle to clear before reaching that ceiling. If you’re giving up multiple young players and high-end prospects, I feel like you need to get more certainty in return. Gio would undoubtedly improve the XXXXXX rotation, but by no means is he a sure thing. http://riveraveblues.com/2011/11/scouting-the-trade-market-gio-gonzalez-58777/
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Zac,

Good read...I suspect that if the A's do indeed trade him. They'll look for at least 1 ready for prime time hitting prospect and a young pitcher (starter) to replace him in their system...

If Beane is behind the rumor of Gio being available? The market dynamics are primed for him to extract maximum value with both the Sox and Yanks looking for starting pitching (along with a host of others)...

The Yanks certainly have the chips to make a deal if they really want Gio? with Montero and the young kid you guys brought up in September. Who's name I can't seem to remember (hard thrower who couldn't find the plate)? However, with CJ Wilson a FA with "similar stuff". Unless they want both? I can't see them unloading their best "prospect(s)" for a player that isn't a proven commodity?

Where I might disagree with Hill55 is that the Sox have quite a few lower level guys that they could build a deal around, if Beane was looking for 2 or 3 year projectable prospects. They could build a deal around Ranaundo and include Reddick or Kalish. Then sweeten the deal with a couple of our better A ball prospects.

Often overlooked when names are floated in the offseason is the GM is trolling and in fact Gio might not be the guy that Beane want's to move? We'll soon find out...The most aggressive buyers tend to land the biggest fish...See Milwaukee last offseason with Greinke...That said, Cashman has shown that he's not shy about dealing prospects for proven talent (see Granderson deal with Tigers)...Ditto Luccino who was the man behind the curtain when we aquired Beckett and Lowell...

We'll soon find out if Cherington covets his prospects or is he more in the mold of Cashman vs Epstein...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

The Yankees will dry up their farm system and offer Montero, Laird, Banuelos, Betances, and Nunez to get Gio.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]The Yankees will dry up their farm system and offer Montero, Laird, Banuelos, Betances, and Nunez to get Gio.
    Posted by bgomez[/QUOTE]
    Get real. I am sure that they may offer a package with several of those players, but not all of them. They may not even want Gonzalez. Maybe we don't try to get him either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : The already pedestrian on-base percentages of Josh Reddick, Jed Lowrie and Ryan Lavarnway (.327, .303 and .302 in 2011) could take a serious hit at the Oakland Coliseum. Felix Doubront has never been a highly regarded prospect. Lavarnway and Anthony Ranaudo, who struggled in his first professional season, might be the only players of interest to the Athletics.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

That works both ways.  Gio's stats will worsen foing from Oakland to Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]For the ridiculous asking price they want, they can have him..No way they get a Dan Haren haul IMO..Gio is really good, but not worth 5 top prospects..get real..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Yup, they absolutely hammered AZ on that trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : Get real. I am sure that they may offer a package with several of those players, but not all of them. They may not even want Gonzalez. Maybe we don't try to get him either.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

jrh,

If they offered Montero then they'd likely only include a couple of lower level guys and maybe one from the list above...My guess is that they'll first try ot gauge what the market is for Wilson and even Buerhle before they'd trade away 3 top prospects in a deal for guy that although shows some ability to be a very good ML pitcher is not a guy who has potential CY Young stuff...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : Yup, they absolutely hammered AZ on that trade.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Hey Joe,
    At the time of that deal Haren's resume was that of a legit top of the rotation starter...Gonzalez project to be more of a solid #2 type...Still a valuable commodity but not a guy that teams would likey sell the farm for...Just MHO...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Yankees could probably land Gonzalez for Montero, Betances and Nunez.  Not sure they would do that, however.

Sox might be able to land him with Lavarnway, Ranaudo, and Kalish.  But I am not sure I would want them to do that.  Lavarnway is the big league catcher of the furture, IMO.  And Kalish was considered the heir apparent to RF just 12 months ago.  And Ranaudo is considered one of their top pitching prospects.  Tough to let all that go for a guy who may not ever be much more than a #3 or #4 starter with mild control problems and trouble getting past the 6th inning against the Yankees.

From Oakland's viewpoint, however, they must value Gonzalez at the same level the Sox regarded Buchholz two and three years ago.  The Sox were very stubborn about trading Buchholz when asked, and passed on some pretty good players so as not to lose him.

I don't see a Gonzalez trade happening between Oakland and Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

How about a three way trade Gio to the Marlins, Ells and  other considerations to the the A's with the Sox ending up with Hanley and a prospect from the Marlins or a prospect from the A's?

What Beane wants are prospects. I think he may take Ells knowing he can "flip him" like he did Haren for a boatload of good prospects. Knowing he has two years to do it makes it more appealing--in the meantime he has a "Silver Slugger," "Gold Glove," and the second choice for AL MVP to sell some seats and if they get approved to move to San Jose perhaps sign him long term.

We get a RHanded bat to slide in behing AGon--play CF?, or 3b or SS which opens added opprotunities for trades.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Only if that prospect is ready to pitch 200 innings for the Sox this coming season.  They need pitching, not an offensive juggernaut who is defensively challenged and has a me-first, I give all only when I want to, attitude.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : jrh, If they offered Montero then they'd likely only include a couple of lower level guys and maybe one from the list above...My guess is that they'll first try ot gauge what the market is for Wilson and even Buerhle before they'd trade away 3 top prospects in a deal for guy that although shows some ability to be a very good ML pitcher is not a guy who has potential CY Young stuff...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%. I don't see them emptying the farm system for Gonzales and I certainly don't think that we should either. He looks like a nice young talent, but there are other alternatives out there that maybe we can get at a lesser overall cost. The Yankees may go after Wilson, Buerhle or Gonzales but they won't get all of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]How about a three way trade Gio to the Marlins, Ells and  other considerations to the the A's with the Sox ending up with Hanley and a prospect from the Marlins or a prospect from the A's? What Beane wants are prospects. I think he may take Ells knowing he can "flip him" like he did Haren for a boatload of good prospects. Knowing he has two years to do it makes it more appealing--in the meantime he has a "Silver Slugger," "Gold Glove," and the second choice for AL MVP to sell some seats and if they get approved to move to San Jose perhaps sign him long term. We get a RHanded bat to slide in behing AGon--play CF?, or 3b or SS which opens added opprotunities for trades.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Just what the Red Sox don't need to do. Trade one of the best player in MLB, 2nd in the MVP for Hanley and an unproven player. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Sox Management and Talent evaluators have to really, really look at their Prospects. Are these kids going to contribute within a year or two. This new Front Office has to start thinking about Trading away their kids.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

You only trade those kids that you think won't develop.  Trading away good prospects for vets will rarely work out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There is a more complicated option: trade Youk to team in high need of a quality 1Bman (StL? Milw? ...) for prospects. (We could also trade Lowrie, DMac, or Scutty for lesser prospects.) Trade those propsects and more for Gonzalez, Guthrie, Wandy, or someone else.

We seem to have a lot of OF prospects and 2 nice SS prospects. I could see trading Iggy and Reddick with the acquired prospects for very good pitcher, and not really harm our farm system too much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Nah, might want to rethink trading partners. Oakland doesn't really need to trade right now, they have their payroll under control and their key players are trending in the right direction. 

Unlike the Red Sox whose payroll is out of control and key players are trending in the wrong direction. The need change, but their chnages need to come from within. They need to trim player by leeting the high priced guy go, like Paps and JD not coming back are really good moves. Good players but too costly.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Why ? the guy does not like to throw between starts, is a problem, cannot make it out of the 5th inning, and unless you are getting this guy at the Major League Minimum. Stop the Innsanity already. 

[QUOTE]Does it look like Bedard is gone for certain? I would not mind him coming back as the #5.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Gonzalez would be a very nice addition to the Sox staff. If the Yankees are interested in him too it will not be easy to get him. I'm not sure we can put together a package of prospects that the A's would prefer over what NY can offer.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

I agree that NY probably would be able to offer them more than the Red Sox. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade for Gio Gonzalez : Bedard had some of the worst calls I've ever seen from the umpires behind the plate. Laughable really, and constantly hurting his pitch count and keeping innings going that should have ended before runs were scored. I have no idea what that was about, but it certainly took him out of games early.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    I noticed the exact same thing with Bedard. Since you and I noticed it, I wonder if the team noticed it. To me it says that with decent umpiring, Bedard pitched very well, better than his record actually shows.  He's a perfect example of why umpires shouldn't be calling balls and strikes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

How about Lars Anderson, Michael Bowden and a AA pitcher for Gio.

Sections
Shortcuts