Red Sox will interview Tony Pena

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Re: Red Sox will interview Tony Pena

it's sad when a good thread about a potential manager turns into bickering and 3rd grade insults.  Grow up people.  It is supposed to be about baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Demarlo Hale is Green? Or is he Purple?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

That's the man they want.  Former manager of the year, former Red sox player, Players like him but he also commands respect.

Done deal.

Really? A guy who after being awarded Manager of the Year quits on his team because he is "tired of losing" and then goes on to be a coach for the gluttonous "we win every year" Yankees?

Snake for someone who spends so much time "critiquing" others positions you come across as an idiot on this one. 

Tell me will a quitter be given more respect than Tito?

Voice of Reason

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Demarlo Hale is Green? Or is he Purple?

Exactly. Dont need to interview more than one minority candidate  to meet the "quota". Hopefully, those days are behind us.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pena and Hale. Thats 2, so I dont see it as a quota thing this time, but as two very legitimate candidates for the position.

Although I realize there is a rule in place,  I think these guys wouldve been interviewed regardless...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

More important to see who they will interview b4 we immaturely suggest that "quota's" are a factor... which essentially was a race play by the poster. Very irrsesponsible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

I really don't think it's a quota thing Zac.

I have no idea HH or a feeling one way or the other

my only point was the thought is in play

and it wasn't meant 2B a boston thing

the issue comes up often with minority canidates

Tony Pena has merit. Not my first choice but in the top 5 for sure.

IDK, why has it taken so long 4 him 2 get another shot after quiting ?

I wonder if him or just how many from his generation are into the new superstats

If it costs the Sox a top prospect or two I have no interest in Farrell.

I don't C all the fareel stuff either

I've seen others make a good case for making him pitching coach

but not mgr, he hasn't shown flaws while with the jays

and I'm not even thinking about his record

He clearly isn't the only good candidate avail.

agreed

Over the weekend, Farrell said he hasnt been told by the Blue Jays the Sox have even contacted them or shown interest. Maybe they've decided to move on or see who is available they may have interest in first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I won't dignify some of the truly idiotic comments to this point, but I will say I believe Tony Pena would be a good hire. He was the guy I was hoping they'd go after last year.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I don't know what caused or how that happened. BDC was working on the software at the time and gave him the benefit of the doubt, thought it may have had something to do with that. If we had to tolerate pike and all his mutiple screen names and all that went with it, idiots seems harmless enough. I think steven is right, the pics did him in. Regardless, as you say, its over.

++++++++++++++

I was under the impression Idiots was female.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

good point about hale,

didn't know he was black or that had an interview coming

I feel kinda silly right now

I mean it's not like the sox

would ever over do anything for good PR

do I sense a scosh of sarcasm zac?  ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

More important to see who they will interview b4 we immaturely suggest that "quota's" are a factor... which essentially was a race play by the poster. Very irrsesponsible.

It wasn't a "race play" at all.  As I explained, all teams have to interview at least one minority, regardless if they have already decided on a candidate or not.  I have heard that Ausmus is leading candidate at this point, he's coming in this week, so this allows them to make an offer if they so choose.  I never said that they are "only" interviewing Pena because they have to, it's certainly possible though.  Let's stop being so sensitive. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

That's the man they want.  Former manager of the year, former Red sox player, Players like him but he also commands respect.

Done deal.

Really? A guy who after being awarded Manager of the Year quits on his team because he is "tired of losing" and then goes on to be a coach for the gluttonous "we win every year" Yankees?

Snake for someone who spends so much time "critiquing" others positions you come across as an idiot on this one. 

Tell me will a quitter be given more respect than Tito?

"I come across like an idiot"  Cleverly worded.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

for the managerial position today, according to WEEI

He's the guy I wanted last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I wanted Pena as Yankee manager instead of Girardi.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to Strike13's comment:

Brad Ausmus is coming in this week and he is supposedly the favorite right now.  You have to interview at least one minority, so Pena may just be here to meet the "quota." .

That is so wrong, go back to 1950.

it is wrong

but that doesn't mean jasko's post doesn't have merit

I really don't think it's a quota thing Zac.

Tony Pena has merit. Not my first choice but in the top 5 for sure.

If it costs the Sox a top prospect or two I have no interest in Farrell.

He clearly isn't the only good candidate avail. 

I certainly wasn't trying to be "racist."  I'm not sure how seriously the Sox will consider Pena, but MLB rules state that you have to interview at least one minority for every managerial opening.  It's a fact. If people don't think that teams have already settled on a choice for manager in recent years, but still interviewed someone else because they HAD to, then you might be a little naive...

[/QUOTE

In no way was I viewing your post as racist.

I believe the MLB's position that you have to interview a minority to be very racist.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

If Idiots has a brain (EDITHBUNKER) he can come up with a way to return.... Maybe in the spring. However the fact we cannot upload repetitive garbage sort of destroyed his MO.

Nobody cared when he started ghost threads and ran up threads by 100+ posts even though maybe only a dozen (by other posters) were visible? He was purposely acting like a 4 year old.

Anyhow whatever....  it is over. 

I don't know what caused or how that happened. BDC was working on the software at the time and gave him the benefit of the doubt, thought it may have had something to do with that. If we had to tolerate pike and all his mutiple screen names and all that went with it, idiots seems harmless enough. I think steven is right, the pics did him in. Regardless, as you say, its over.

Maybe a petitition to reinstate him would help....on probation for a time maybe. I like Pena from what I hear about him...tough, respected, able to deal with a large media presence. I would also like Varitek in the coaching mix somehow

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think Pena is an excellent candidate.  He is plus on Being a Player's Manager (opposite of Valentine), commanding respect, understanding Boston, experience ... succesful experience.  The only red flag on his resume is that quit job in KC.  This is not to be taken lightly.  I certainly wonder if this is a marker of the sort of man he is.  when the going gets tough in Boston, and it will get tough, will he respond rashly?  Or, on the other hand, was the situation in KC untenable for reasons we cannot fully understand on the outside?  Or, furthermore, was that a one-time reaction to a bad situation that Tony learned and grew from?  I do not know.  But I do know that the KC situation should certainly not keep him from being considered.  I think Wallach is a strong candidate as well, but Pena, having played in Boston and been long-time bench coach in NY, has a level of experience in the AL East that makes him attractive.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I think Pena is an excellent candidate.  He is plus on Being a Player's Manager (opposite of Valentine), commanding respect, understanding Boston, experience ... succesful experience.  The only red flag on his resume is that quit job in KC.  This is not to be taken lightly.  I certainly wonder if this is a marker of the sort of man he is.  when the going gets tough in Boston, and it will get tough, will he respond rashly?  Or, on the other hand, was the situation in KC untenable for reasons we cannot fully understand on the outside?  Or, furthermore, was that a one-time reaction to a bad situation that Tony learned and grew from?  I do not know.  But I do know that the KC situation should certainly not keep him from being considered.  I think Wallach is a strong candidate as well, but Pena, having played in Boston and been long-time bench coach in NY, has a level of experience in the AL East that makes him attractive.  

I wonder if Pena quit in KC because he came to the conclusion that he could never win a ring there. I want guys in this franchise who want to be winners and not settle for where the Sox are today. I do not hold what happened in KC against him because I do not know all the facts of what transpired there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I wonder if Pena quit in KC because he came to the conclusion that he could never win a ring there. I want guys in this franchise who want to be winners and not settle for where the Sox are today. I do not hold what happened in KC against him because I do not know all the facts of what transpired there.

I take this line too Pumpsie.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what is this charade...we all know its Farrell...

beyond dumb.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

beyond dumb.....

No, that would be your Pedroia thread.

Not to mention that desperate cry for attention that is the "bootlicker" thread.

Pathetic...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

FourB's makes Wally & Pike sound like Einstein...keep up the good work forum troll!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

beyond dumb.....

Is it beyond dumb G?  Why?  Last I checked, Toronto wasn't ready to let John waltz out of his contract, especially not to the Sox.  When I get word that the Jays are just going to lay down and let John go with no compensation, I will call anyone not assuming the next manager of the Sox 'beyond dumb'.  Until then, I call your post beyond dumb.

Sections
Shortcuts