Red Sox will interview Tony Pena

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Red Sox will interview Tony Pena

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what is this charade...we all know its Farrell...

beyond dumb.....

[/QUOTE]

Is it beyond dumb G?  Why?  Last I checked, Toronto wasn't ready to let John waltz out of his contract, especially not to the Sox.  When I get word that the Jays are just going to lay down and let John go with no compensation, I will call anyone not assuming the next manager of the Sox 'beyond dumb'.  Until then, I call your post beyond dumb.

[/QUOTE]

you really think Toronto wants him as manager (when they know ben wants him and is waiting for the season to end to negotiate)? Thats a joke right? This is a charade....the Sox know EXACTLY who they want to manage....it is a fait accompli my leftcoast friend...not dumb - insightful

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

beyond dumb.....

[/QUOTE]

Is it beyond dumb G?  Why?  Last I checked, Toronto wasn't ready to let John waltz out of his contract, especially not to the Sox.  When I get word that the Jays are just going to lay down and let John go with no compensation, I will call anyone not assuming the next manager of the Sox 'beyond dumb'.  Until then, I call your post beyond dumb.

[/QUOTE]

you really think Toronto wants him as manager (when they know ben wants him and is waiting for the season to end to negotiate)? Thats a joke right? This is a charade....the Sox know EXACTLY who they want to manage....it is a fait accompli my leftcoast friend...not dumb - insightful

[/QUOTE]

I agree insofar as the sox brass want Farrell to manage the Red sox.  But, why in the world would Toronto not want him to manage the Jays just because Ben wants him?  If you are sort of implying that they think he is a bad manager and would be more than willing to unload a bad manager to AL East competitor, then ok, maybe you have a point.  Is this what you are implying?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

beyond dumb.....

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree insofar as the sox brass want Farrell to manage the Red sox.  But, why in the world would Toronto not want him to manage the Jays just because Ben wants him?  If you are sort of implying that they think he is a bad manager and would be more than willing to unload a bad manager to AL East competitor, then ok, maybe you have a point.  Is this what you are implying?

[/QUOTE]

of course thats what im implying...imagine if someone came to us and asked to "talk" to valentine about being the manager of their team knowing that he was under contract for one more year....we would do it in a second....Farrell has been a disappointment for Toronto and for some reason Ben & the Sox are willing to give something for his leaving....now i really hope im wrong and that either Ben doesnr want farrall or stranger still, Toronto doesnt want to give him up.....i have no idea why his return to boston is even an option....but he does know the system and i have also heard he can be stern when he has to be - so i will give him a chance if he does get chosen.....but maybe they are truly looking....nah!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

beyond dumb.....

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

of course thats what im implying...imagine if someone came to us and asked to "talk" to valentine about being the manager of their team knowing that he was under contract for one more year....we would do it in a second....Farrell has been a disappointment for Toronto and for some reason Ben & the Sox are willing to give something for his leaving....now i really hope im wrong and that either Ben doesnr want farrall or stranger still, Toronto doesnt want to give him up.....i have no idea why his return to boston is even an option....but he does know the system and i have also heard he can be stern when he has to be - so i will give him a chance if he does get chosen.....but maybe they are truly looking....nah!!!

[/QUOTE]

While public opinion on the matter seems to be overhwelmingly that Farrell is the Sox top dog choice for the job, I still have yet to hear anything from the organization suggesting this.  I hope that public opinion is wrong, as i just don't see what makes him a good candidate at all, other than being a reminder of Francona.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

More important to see who they will interview b4 we immaturely suggest that "quota's" are a factor... which essentially was a race play by the poster. Very irrsesponsible.

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't a "race play" at all.  As I explained, all teams have to interview at least one minority, regardless if they have already decided on a candidate or not.  I have heard that Ausmus is leading candidate at this point, he's coming in this week, so this allows them to make an offer if they so choose.  I never said that they are "only" interviewing Pena because they have to, it's certainly possible though.  Let's stop being so sensitive. 

[/QUOTE]

This political correct sh@t should be shoved up some place where the sun doesn't shine.  The fact IS that there MUST be an interview for a minority candidate for every managerial position unless the man promoted is done so the last day of the season or with a day or so.  Besides, Tony Pena is not a token; he has managerial experience as well as coaching experience.  He is not my favorite, Dave Martinez is (whoa, another minority candidate who should be interviewed).  The point someone brought  up about Tony quitting the Royals job because he got "tired of losing" must be looked at in a larger framework.  He did a great job in his f irst year as manager of the team, but the owner Ewing Kaufman decided not to spend but to hold onto his blood money he got in that farcical revenue sharing plan implemented in some form at the time, and his GM Alan Baird went along with it and didn't upgrade the team.  Pena felt he didn't have a chance u nder those circumstances and bailed.  The thing we should concern ourselves with a lot more is that Baird is now an assistant GM with the Red Sox, one more loser in our front office.  Keep also in mind that if Cherington is ever canned this bum could be our next GM.  That is a lot more of a worry to me than Pena having quit a losing organization like ours seems to becoming.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

More important to see who they will interview b4 we immaturely suggest that "quota's" are a factor... which essentially was a race play by the poster. Very irrsesponsible.

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't a "race play" at all.  As I explained, all teams have to interview at least one minority, regardless if they have already decided on a candidate or not.  I have heard that Ausmus is leading candidate at this point, he's coming in this week, so this allows them to make an offer if they so choose.  I never said that they are "only" interviewing Pena because they have to, it's certainly possible though.  Let's stop being so sensitive. 

[/QUOTE]

This political correct sh@t should be shoved up some place where the sun doesn't shine.  The fact IS that there MUST be an interview for a minority candidate for every managerial position unless the man promoted is done so the last day of the season or with a day or so.  Besides, Tony Pena is not a token; he has managerial experience as well as coaching experience.  He is not my favorite, Dave Martinez is (whoa, another minority candidate who should be interviewed).  The point someone brought  up about Tony quitting the Royals job because he got "tired of losing" must be looked at in a larger framework.  He did a great job in his f irst year as manager of the team, but the owner Ewing Kaufman decided not to spend but to hold onto his blood money he got in that farcical revenue sharing plan implemented in some form at the time, and his GM Alan Baird went along with it and didn't upgrade the team.  Pena felt he didn't have a chance u nder those circumstances and bailed.  The thing we should concern ourselves with a lot more is that Baird is now an assistant GM with the Red Sox, one more loser in our front office.  Keep also in mind that if Cherington is ever canned this bum could be our next GM.  That is a lot more of a worry to me than Pena having quit a losing organization like ours seems to becoming.

[/QUOTE]

Cherrington canned?

You are as dumb as your man crush pumpsie.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Wally, did your mother have any children that lived??????  You're so stupid and ignorant that you make an idiot's delight look like a Rhodes Scholar in comparison.  Don't you realize no one on this board takes you seriously.  You are an unemployed mama's boy who knowledge of the game can be put on the head of a pin with enough room for the Gettysburg Address.  Do yourself and everyone a favor and buzz off.  You contribute nothing to this board and you're nothing but a four pound bag of tu@d in a one pound bag.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cherrington canned?

[/QUOTE]

Hey Wally, did your mother have any children that lived??????  You're so stupid and ignorant that you make an idiot's delight look like a Rhodes Scholar in comparison.  Don't you realize no one on this board takes you seriously.  You are an unemployed mama's boy who knowledge of the game can be put on the head of a pin with enough room for the Gettysburg Address.  Do yourself and everyone a favor and buzz off.  You contribute nothing to this board and you're nothing but a four pound bag of tu@d in a one pound bag.

[/QUOTE]

4bs and Wally are running neck and neck for most useless person on this board now that Pike has been temporarily canned from his 46 aliases

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

good point about hale,

didn't know he was black or that had an interview coming

I feel kinda silly right now

I mean it's not like the sox

would ever over do anything for good PR

[/QUOTE]

I'm lucky to come from the Bronx.  I didn't know Hale was black either.  I figured Pena was Latino, but I seriously doubt anyone looks at thaqt anymore.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wonder if Pena quit in KC because he came to the conclusion that he could never win a ring there. I want guys in this franchise who want to be winners and not settle for where the Sox are today. I do not hold what happened in KC against him because I do not know all the facts of what transpired there.

That's the way I figure it.  You don't know what transpired between him and the FO.

And even if he was wrong, and maybe he was, does he stay punished forever?

And I'd have to weigh that against the 83-79 team he had with a real dearth of talent.  That's the highest amount of wins KC has had since 1993.  I would definite listen to him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have the Red Sox ever had a colored manager?

[/QUOTE]

You realized colored is extremely offensive. I think you might want to change it to of color.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cherrington canned?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

4bs and Wally are running neck and neck for most useless person on this board now that Pike has been temporarily canned from his 46 aliases

[/QUOTE]

georom, I went almost a week without answering that guy's barbs and personal insults.  He went after Alibi Ike and Pumpsie recently and I know of others he has denigrated.  I just temporarily lost it and let him have some of his own nonsense.  The guy never has anything constructive to add in a baseball sense; it is all barbs and sarcasm.  If you want my honest opinion he has too much time on his hands.  I do notice most of us can disagree with one another from time to time and still be civil.  What unites us is our love of baseball and the Red Sox and our concern for their hopeful future.  Let's see who Wally attacks next.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cherrington canned?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

georom, I went almost a week without answering that guy's barbs and personal insults.  He went after Alibi Ike and Pumpsie recently and I know of others he has denigrated.  I just temporarily lost it and let him have some of his own nonsense.  The guy never has anything constructive to add in a baseball sense; it is all barbs and sarcasm.  If you want my honest opinion he has too much time on his hands.  I do notice most of us can disagree with one another from time to time and still be civil.  What unites us is our love of baseball and the Red Sox and our concern for their hopeful future.  Let's see who Wally attacks next.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Using the term of colored went out in 1958.

[/QUOTE]

Person of color is still a used term, a colored person is not. They have a much different meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

True story.

When I was in kindergarden, the teacher had us draw a picture of our family.  I am Asian so I drew my family Green.  But the teacher told me to add Yellow.  LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

During the 7th inning of the 2004 ALCS, Sheffield came up to bat.  Several Red Sox fans and I began chanting, "Who's your dealer?!?"

One Yankee fan said to me, "Hey Matsui, shut the f**k up!!!"    LOL

When I went to the bathroom, someone pushed me really hard and I fell to the ground.  I am assuming that it was that fan.  LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

During the 7th inning of the 2004 ALCS, Sheffield came up to bat.  Several Red Sox fans and I began chanting, "Who's your dealer?!?"

One Yankee fan said to me, "Hey Matsui, shut the f**k up!!!"    LOL

When I went to the bathroom, someone pushed me really hard and I fell to the ground.  I am assuming that it was that fan.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable, how scummy some people can be.

Glad you can laugh about it now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if Pena quit in KC because he came to the conclusion that he could never win a ring there. I want guys in this franchise who want to be winners and not settle for where the Sox are today. I do not hold what happened in KC against him because I do not know all the facts of what transpired there.

That's the way I figure it.  You don't know what transpired between him and the FO.

And I'd have to weigh that against the 83-79 team he had with a real dearth of talent.  That's the highest amount of wins KC has had since 1993.  I would definite listen to him.

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the reason. He had a great 2003, lost 104 games in 2004, and started 8-25 in 2005, then resigned.

I can't find it now, but I read somewhere last year, when I was hoping they'd hire him, that he wasn't sleeping at all, the constant losing was just destroying him, so he stepped aside.

It's hard to blame someone in that situation when you know they aren't going to pay for anyone, and won't realistically compete. Who, really, would want that job?

I want him, he's the guy I think could turn this team around. He garners respect everywhere he's been as a player or coach, and understand the game.

Farrell is too close to everything that went wrong, I don't even want him if Toronto fires him to be honest. They need a FRESH start, not hoping a guy who used to be here as a pitching coach will work as a manager. No thank you.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the reason. He had a great 2003, lost 104 games in 2004, and started 8-25 in 2005, then resigned.

I can't find it now, but I read somewhere last year, when I was hoping they'd hire him, that he wasn't sleeping at all, the constant losing was just destroying him, so he stepped aside.

It's hard to blame someone in that situation when you know they aren't going to pay for anyone, and won't realistically compete. Who, really, would want that job?

I want him, he's the guy I think could turn this team around. He garners respect everywhere he's been as a player or coach, and understand the game.

Farrell is too close to everything that went wrong, I don't even want him if Toronto fires him to be honest. They need a FRESH start, not hoping a guy who used to be here as a pitching coach will work as a manager. No thank you.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% about Farrell.  Going backward, hoping for the good ol' days, would be a big mistake.  And that would be the only reason to hire him.  He ws an arguably solid pitching coach, though he was also arguably ineffective in his last couple years of his tenure.  And he has been a ho-hum manager with a good Blue Jay roster.

Fresh start, yes.

Sections
Shortcuts