Red Sox will make the playoffs in 2013

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Red Sox will make the playoffs in 2013

Like the optimism! Think the pitching will be much improved this year, couldn't get any worse? Think team will respond to having some leadership in the Mgr's office. Lineup while not as great as years past should score some runs, little concerned vs. really good pitching. Weak spots for me are Salty and Gomes. While Salty showed some pop w/ bat last yr, for me most important thing a C does for team is lead a pitching staff or make it better, something Tek was very good at. Since Salty became regular the staff has gone backwards. Addition of Ross will help, but Salty still in there for 90+ games, we know Lester doesn't want to throw to him. Gomes for me is a platoon OF'er and starting to sound like he wants to be everyday guy in LF, hope this not the case his defense is terrible. Watched last week ball dropped in front of him w/ man on 1st threw to third when there was no play allowing hitter to take 2nd, nothing drives pitchers crazier than taking away force and putting another runner in scoring position. Love his bat vs the CC / Pettite /Price in AL East but thats it. Don't want to see him for 140+ games IMO. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

The so called National "experts"are giving the World Series to the Tigers and the East to the Blue Jays. Don't count out the Red Sox. They have solid starting pitching depth, crucial in 162 game schedule, a great bullpen (history shows that teams with great bullpens can reach the World Series) and top-notch prospects ready to contribute later in the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EncchiladaT's comment:

The so called National "experts"are giving the World Series to the Tigers and the East to the Blue Jays. Don't count out the Red Sox. They have solid starting pitching depth, crucial in 162 game schedule, a great bullpen (history shows that teams with great bullpens can reach the World Series) and top-notch prospects ready to contribute later in the season.

You should just go back to your own name and stop all the childish bs with the real EnchaladaT...Your better than that.

Oh, and I appreciate the quality of your posts as of late.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley--beni--2817. Show smiley--beni--2817's posts

I agree my good friend.  The Sox are well positioned not only for this year, but for many years to come, unlike Team Titanic in the Bronx.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Although weve certainly had our share of injuries the past few years and still need to be cautious about them this year (Papi, Naps, Buch, Lackey), it looks like the NYY have their share of issues before the 2013 season even starts...with certain players returning from  injuries (MO, Jeter, CC), another possible problem (Tex's wrist) and now a PED accusation towards 3 of NYY prime players (Grandy, ARoid, Cano)...Things are starting to pile up in the Bronx.

With that said, Its still the NYY and they usually do what is needed to compete. I would bet that they would go over the luxury threshold if need be...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to smiley--beni--2817's comment:

I agree my good friend.  The Sox are well positioned not only for this year, but for many years to come, unlike Team Titanic in the Bronx.

That ship sailed in 1912 .....  Again, like the YANKS, too much ICE is not good !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to smiley--beni--2817's comment:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2010/269311.html

However, the Red Sox' scouting and player development machine continues to roll on. The team has enviable depth at the lower levels, led by a pair of 2008 draft picks, outfielder Ryan Westmoreland and righthander Casey Kelly. Boston was as bullish on Westmoreland and Kelly as any club, backed up its beliefs with $5 million in bonuses and was rewarded with two blue-chip prospects.

That's the Red Sox philosophy in a nutshell, to identify elite talent and spend what it takes to acquire it. Boston aggressively mined the draft and the international market once again in 2009, handing out seven-figure bonuses to Cuban shortstop Jose Iglesias ($6.25 million), Dominican shortstop Jose Vinicio ($1.95 million), third-round shortstop David Renfroe ($1.4 million) and first-round outfielder Reymond Fuentes ($1.134 million).

PRprojected 2012 line upCTED 2012

Catcher Victor Martinez

First Base Lars Anderson

Second Base Dustin Pedroia

Third Base Kevin Youkilis

Shortstop Jose Iglesias

Left Field Jacoby Ellsbury

Center Field Reymond Fuentes

Right Field Ryan Westmoreland

Designated Hitter Josh Reddick

No. 1 Starter Jon Lester

No. 2 Starter Josh Beckett

No. 3 Starter Clay Buchholz

No. 4 Starter Casey Kelly

No. 5 Starter John Lackey

CloserJonathan Papelbon

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox will win around 87 games and earn a wild card berth. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Like the optimism, but I see them winning no more than 81 games and NOT making the playoffs. Still, they are a better team with a brighter future than last year's team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

any team that would be the underdog in the majority of the 162 games isn't likely to make any playoffs any time soon.The sox would be underdogs against the rays,yanks and jays and no better than even with the orioles in their own division and underdogs against the other divisions top teams.Not only my opinion but the pros in Vegas as well.Miracles do happen,check the a's and o's last year but still improbable.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Polly-'s comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Like the optimism, but I see them winning no more than 81 games and NOT making the playoffs. Still, they are a better team with a brighter future than last year's team.

At the start of the 2012 season the Red Sox were considered to be a very good team. Is that the team that you speak of?

I am talking about the team that won 69 games last year. If they win 81 this year thats a vast improvement and given the SP rotation, I would take it. Like another poster wrote here, miracles happen, but that doesn't mean you should count on one.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

At the start of the 2012 season the Red Sox were considered to be a very good team. Is that the team that you speak of?

I am talking about the team that won 69 games last year. If they win 81 this year thats a vast improvement and given the SP rotation, I would take it. Like another poster wrote here, miracles happen, but that doesn't mean you should count on one.

I was referring to the team on paper that started the 2012 season prior to all of the injuries and off years by the starting pitchers and the blockbuster trade.

The team on paper is not worth the paper its written on. On paper this year's team isn't even listed in the top 15 ML teams in the power rankings. Its all in how many wins they end up with. Period. And don't give me the injury excuse. All teams deal with that. Its our pitching, especially our starting pitching, that is responsible for winning just 69 games last year. Thats what happens when you are the 12th ranked team in ERA out of 14 in your league: you stink. Not sure why anyone here expects much more than a 12 game improvement over last year. Thats a big jump and is probably already unrealistic. More than that would take a miracle.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

They are not a better team than the one that took the field prior to August 25th of last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Bold statements considering they had their worst stretch in almost 50 yrs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think the Sox do make the post-season.  They might not have the firepower of recent years, but I think they have an above-average lineup that can produce 200 HRs if completely healthy.  Also, they have probably the best bullpen in the league, so it really comes down to the starting rotation.  It helps that the manager knows the limitations of his starters inside and out.  Buchholz and Lester are both in their primes, and Dempster is very good through six innings.  I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be favored to win most of the games those three start, and Doubront & Lackey (if healthy) match up well against other teams 4 & 5s.  There's also a ton of potential for a guys like Morales, Mortensen, Tazawa, De La Rosa, Aceves, Webster & Wright to play their way into the rotation.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are in a lot of trouble - they've lost Swisher, Chavez & Martin permanently, A-Rod for the year, and Granderson & Teixeira for the first 4-8 weeks.  They're counting on Youk to be healthy and productive, and we know too well how that goes.  For a team that won on the back of the long-ball in 2012, things look very dim for the Yanks right now.

The Jays will be better, of course, but JJ is always an injury risk, and IMO Jose Bautista's "stance improvements" have begun wearing off.  I don't know if they are going to be as good as people seem to think.

Are the Rays any better?  If Wil Myers comes in and hits like Mike Trout they are - if he needs another year, then they're a worse team than in 2012, having lost Shields in their rotation.

And the Orioles were smoke and mirrors - a +7 run differential should not lead a team to the playoffs.

I like our chances.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Allen Webster's final numbers today: 3 IP, 2H, 1 ER, 5 K, 0 BB. John Farrell again visibly impressed.

Manager John Farrell indicated that Webster won’t be held back in terms of innings — like Rubby De La Rosa is. That means Webster could find himself in Boston at some point this season, even if he does start the year at Triple-A Pawtucket as expected.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I like it! Should be fun year in AL East, also possibility that RS and Yanks finish 4 & 5. Who would have predicted that 2 yrs ago? AL East is wide open this year and full of ?'s.

Jays- can they put all the talent acquired and become a good team. As RS fans we know just because you win the off season doesn't always translate into great season.

Orioles- can they win all those 1 run games again? history says no. Hammels/Chen/Tillman/Gonzalez all basically had career yrs, can they improve?

Yanks- 75% of HR's hit last yr will be gone on Opening Day. Yanks only seem to be able to score when hitting HR, can they play small ball? Counting on [3] 40 yr old pitchers to play huge parts in pitching staff is risky plus ace CC is coming of elbow surgey, not usually a formula for success.

Rays- IMO the most solid team of the bunch. But will Myers play to potential as rookie and help a team starving to score runs? Shields will be missed greatly, mostly by the pen and all the complete games he gave the pen to rest, don't underestimate his loss will have on the pen.

Red Sox- team turmoil last 2 yrs w/ injuries and Valentine. New Mgr clean slate for everyone. Loss of Agon will hurt offense, but pitching will be much improved, and finally has some depth in both rotation and pen. Also has much young talent almost ready to help. IMO could be the surprise team.

Can't wait for season to start. Alot could happen this year in AL East, could see just about any team winning it if everything went right, but could also see anyone finishing last if things didn't work out. Much different than years past when it was Yanks or RS 1st?, then Rays making it a 3 team battle since 08.