Reddick fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Reddick fans

The guy is hitting 203 with a 600 OPS.

If he were on the Red Sox he would be in AAA.

Please post below how fabulous you think he is. Thank you in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Reddick fans

I was a fan of his, but realized he was no more than a 4th OF here. Lots of "pop", no patience and lots of K's with solid defense.

I had no issue with the trade because at the time he was redundant in our system and we needed a closer. Id say both teams got a little something out of each player and then both sides of the trade failed miserably. it happens. Welcome to MLB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I was a fan of his, but realized he was no more than a 4th OF here. Lots of "pop", no patience and lots of K's with solid defense.

I had no issue with the trade because at the time he was redundant in our system and we needed a closer. Id say both teams got a little something out of each player and then both sides of the trade failed miserably. it happens. Welcome to MLB.

Exactly. And who knows -- maybe Bailey and Reddick both bounce back next year and the trade works out good for both teams.

Regardless of what Bailey has done or didn't do, the angst over losing Reddick was way overboard. People just looked at one number -- 32 home runs -- and ignored everything else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

Exactly. And who knows -- maybe Bailey and Reddick both bounce back next year and the trade works out good for both teams.

Regardless of what Bailey has done or didn't do, the angst over losing Reddick was way overboard. People just looked at one number -- 32 home runs -- and ignored everything else.

[/QUOTE]

Roy, 

We all know many of the Red Soz fans who I'm sure are diehard fans are reactionary in thier point of view. Stephen Drew is today's hero to many of these folks but if he strikes out with the bases loaded in the 9th tomorrow those same fans will call him a bum. Reddick had a decent year last year and going by his stats is having an awful year this season, at least by what I can tell just looking at the stats. 

Hetch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i could care less what Reddick does now or Iggy) its all about what we got for them and how THEY are doing....last time I checked Bailey was a bum last year and a total dud and it was an awful trade....stop trying to spin a bad trade...JR was an All Star/Gold Glover last year and PLAYS everyday...AB????

As always - 100% correct!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

One of BC's low moments.  The LA trade more than makes up for it.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

At the time it was a great trade. It has turned out only slightly better for the A's as Reddick has had a very good half season, and Bailey hasn't done much. But we also got Sweeny in the trade, and he wasn't horrible when he was healthy. It really was a trade that, at the time, was perfect for everyone involved. The Sox got an all star caliber closer and a guy who would give you what Reddick was likely to give at the time, and the A's got a guy with a lot of future upside.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

At the time it was a great trade. It has turned out only slightly better for the A's as Reddick has had a very good half season, and Bailey hasn't done much. But we also got Sweeny in the trade, and he wasn't horrible when he was healthy. It really was a trade that, at the time, was perfect for everyone involved. The Sox got an all star caliber closer and a guy who would give you what Reddick was likely to give at the time, and the A's got a guy with a lot of future upside.

Good point. Most forget about Sweeny who provided great defense and batted .260 in a platoon role here. Bailey has pretty much been a bust, but was great for a short time early on this year. I dont see how one 1/2 season of good play is all that much better than what we got. Since the first 1/2 of last year, Reddick has been nothing short of terrible, whether he plays FT or not. he was a 4th OF'er at best in Boston if he stayed. You have to look at it that way. We got rid of a 4th OF'er who has been terrible for a year now.

After the trade deadline in 2012 Reds numbers were .209BA  .249OBP  .374SLG  .623OPS

This year his numbers are  .203BA  .287OBP  .326SLG  .613OPS

Oh, and he has all of 5 HR this year, which means VIC has more than him.

Sorry, I just dont see that much of an advantage by Oakland in this trade. Id say both teams didnt do very good. Red won a GG and an AS appearence for his first half stats. So Oakland got 3-4 months of good play from Red. Thats certainly NOT a distinct advantage like some of you think.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The "I told so people" are always so eager to point out how bad a former player is doing.

Consider this: Reddick is only in hit 3rd full season. He hit .280 with the Red Sox in 2011, while playing in 87 games. he hit 32 HRs for Oakland last year, along with 29 doubles ( in a home park which is pithcer friendly). This year is a bit of a downturn. He still has time to elevate his stats...and he's with a 1st place team, which means he must be doing well enough to not hurt the team.

Andrew Bailey played in only 19 games last year with a 7.09 ERA. This year's umbers are better, but he's hurt again.

All in all, I'd rather have the young healthy outfielder who is struggling, with plenty of time to turn it around over the often injured relief pitcher who can do damn little for us from the DL.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember watching a clip on the MLB network (during Spring Training).  Josh Reddick said that he did not buy a WWE Championship belt because it cost too much ($500).   Is he good with his money or is he making only the min?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I just think Reddick was on PED last year at the same time Colon was suspended last year for failing a drug test.

Now since then, Reddick havent done much.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Reddick has 5 HRs in the two games since this was posted.

I nominate this as the worst-timed thread of all time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good for him. I hope he does well because I wasnt trying to bash him in any way. I was just trying to be realistic about this trade. I stated I was a fan of his, but understand why they traded him. I hope he has a successful career, but make no mistake. Hes been nothing short of awful since last july/august. Besides a few HR, his numbers are terrible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i could care less what Reddick does now or Iggy) its all about what we got for them and how THEY are doing....last time I checked Bailey was a bum last year and a total dud and it was an awful trade....stop trying to spin a bad trade...JR was an All Star/Gold Glover last year and PLAYS everyday...AB????

As always - 100% correct!

You cared a lot about Scutaro though.  Seemed obsessed by it.  Like he would have made a difference and rescued and the 2012 Red Sox.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Not even close.  My favorite is the georom thread knocking Francona earlier this season right before Cleveland went on a run.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Really?

How about the real stats -- 3 HR, 5 RBIs in the last seven days with a robust .200 BA.

How about -- 3 HR, 8 RBIs in his last 14 days with a below-Mendoza .133 BA.

28 Days? -- 4 HR, 10 RBIs and a .169 BA.

I dunno -- timing seems pretty good to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ben has done a good job. Let's not be so in love with him that we defend every move. Last year , Reddick finished 16 th in the MVP voting. Not just the home runs, but great defense in right all year. He was one of the big reasons the A's went to the post season. This year he has struggled, partly due to a bad wrist. He is now heating up. Five homers in the last two days. Andrew Bailey has contributed next to nothing for the Sox. This trade favors the A's by a wide margin. It's okay to admit it. Let's just hope the Iglesias for Peavy trade works out better. I have my doubts about that. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Ben has done a good job. Let's not be so in love with him that we defend every move. Last year , Reddick finished 16 th in the MVP voting. Not just the home runs, but great defense in right all year. He was one of the big reasons the A's went to the post season. This year he has struggled, partly due to a bad wrist. He is now heating up. Five homers in the last two days. Andrew Bailey has contributed next to nothing for the Sox. This trade favors the A's by a wide margin. It's okay to admit it. Let's just hope the Iglesias for Peavy trade works out better. I have my doubts about that. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Saying a wide margin is a huge overstatement, and that has nothing to do with Bailey. Reddick, has has been pointed out, had a very good (batted just .242 and just 42 RBIs, so I hesitate to call it great) first half. Since then he's been mediocre and has been godawful this year. Great defense -- that's debatable. He was very erratic in Boston.

If Reddick played for the Sox this year -- or even in the second half of last year -- Reddick lovers would be spamming this board with DUMP REDDICK threads.

Yes, the A's made out better based on last season, but it's hardly a wide margin simply because from the middle of last season and on, Reddick has been rapidly going downhill. I have nothing against the kid, but too many of you are making it sound like Reddick is a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer and a perennial All-Star when it looks more and more he's just another Phil Plantier.

I'm hardly losing sleep over the fact that he's not in Boston, regardless of what Bailey has done or will do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

Really?

How about the real stats -- 3 HR, 5 RBIs in the last seven days with a robust .200 BA.

[/QUOTE]

This thread wasn't started 7, 14 or 28 days ago, and you haven't looked at today's box score, genius.

2 HRs today + 3 HRs yesterday = 5 HRs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A week ago in my fantasy league I was ridiculed for trading Atlanta shortstop Andrelton Simmons* for Josh Reddick, but I have not had Reddick in my lineup the past two days when he slugged five homeruns.

* In a vacuum, Andrelton Simmons is worth more than Josh Reddick, but my team had specific positional needs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Really?

This thread wasn't started 7, 14 or 28 days ago, and you haven't looked at today's box score, genius.

2 HRs today + 3 HRs yesterday = 5 HRs.

Unlike you, I'm not a prisoner of the moment.

I was showing a consistent streak of crppy production -- over the past seven, 14 and 28 days (not to mention the season) -- genius. Where you inferred that those numbers meant the thread started seven, 14 or 28 days ago is beyond me.

If this spike in offense continues through the end of the season, then you'll have a point of bad timing. Back-to-back good days doesn't overcome a season of garbage.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Reddick and Middlebrooks both have 3-home run games this year...one is woefully overrated but is a good defensive OF with tremendous power (Rob Deer with defense), the other went into the tank, dropped to the minors, and tonight returned after a long minors stint to go 2-for-4....who cares.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Perhaps one day the Reddick for Bailey deal will fade to black and we can stop lamenting the loss of a platoon OF with a god glove and some pop. Reddick was given the chance to seize the moment and cement his spot on the Sox roster, but to this day has yet to see a ball that he doesn't think he can hit. 

Lost on many that continue to beat the drum about this deal was that at the time of the trade Ryan Kalish was seen as the RF of the future and had already surpassed Reddick on the organizational depth chart. Before his un-timely tragic illness Westmoreland and Kalish were 1&2 on the Sox prospects list with Reddick fading due to his inability to command the strike zone. 

I get that Bailey due to injury has not performed to expectations and Sweeney didn't become a. all star. Take a deep breath, let it go. No need to cry over spilt milk, especially when the milk is sour...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You don't have to be a Reddick fan to point out that so far Oakland has got the better of the deal. If you want to post threads like this every time a former Red Sox player goes through a slump then have at it and enjoy yourself.

Why not a James Loney thread?....maybe not homegrown, but isn't he helping TB out right now?

See. It works both ways....But, I am jus goofing, because I know full well, that Loney could go into a 0 for 25 tailspin just as easily as he could go on a 25 game hitting streak. Not saying they made a wrong decision, but since many posters are unhappy with Napoli, how about pointing out that the guy we had last year is doing okay and the guy we have is struggling?

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

Sections
Shortcuts