Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition

This guy continues to shine but needs to improve his defense.  Reddick has now nose dived to a 224 BA.  Chaing will be interesting to watch when he hits AAA.  Lavarnway, Iglesias, Lin, Navarro?  Who said our farm isn't as good this season? 

Chih-Hsien Chiang   11 | OF
    MLB Parent Club: Boston
    Stats
    AVG:
    HR:
    RBI:
    SB:
    Full Name: Chih-Hsien Chiang
    Born: 02/21/1988
    Birthplace: Taitung, Taiwan
    Height: 6' 2"
    Weight: 170
    Bats: L
    Throws: R

2011 Season
    TeamLeagueAVGGABRH2B3BHRRBITBBBSOSBCSOBPSLGOPS
    POREAS.3154516532521831036106103231.356.642.998
    Minors .3154516532521831036106103231.356.642.998

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition

Before I get a chubbie about another minor league phenom, I hope one of the lot will be ready to step into the position as soon as next year, or even this year if Drew doesn't pick it up a little. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition:
    [QUOTE]Before I get a chubbie about another minor league phenom, I hope one of the lot will be ready to step into the position as soon as next year, or even this year if Drew doesn't pick it up a little. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

I never get overly excited with minor leagers but its great to watch them develop.  Drew, Tek, Wake, Cam, Pap, Scutaro?  We could see more than just a new RF next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I can't really get excited about another LH bat who hasn't ever put up numbers like this in MiLB play.  Hopefully it's a break out season as he has been playing against age advanced competition, but I'm not holding my breath.

His defense should only get better as he only moved to the OF to start the 2009 season (2 years experience in the OF now) and he has good range and a good arm according to reports.

Anyway, thanks for the update, it's always nice to learn something new.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Nice to see the Red Sox have a Right handed outfielder with a good bat. They are short on lefty OF'ers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I can't really get excited about another LH bat who hasn't ever put up numbers like this in MiLB play.  Hopefully it's a break out season as he has been playing against age advanced competition, but I'm not holding my breath. His defense should only get better as he only moved to the OF to start the 2009 season (2 years experience in the OF now) and he has good range and a good arm according to reports. Anyway, thanks for the update, it's always nice to learn something new.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

No problem JB-3, according to scouting reports he has always been an exceptional hitter with good power, range as you stated and arm. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I wonder what the offensive difference would be if the Sox brought up Lin to play RF (putting JD on the bench, as defensive replacement and lefty PH) and brought up Iglesias.  My feeling is that Lin could do what Lowrie/Scutaro hve done, and Iglesias can do what JD has done.  Meanwhile, I believe the defense at SS would be much improved and the defense in RF only marginally worse.  Thoughts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder what the offensive difference would be if the Sox brought up Lin to play RF (putting JD on the bench, as defensive replacement and lefty PH) and brought up Iglesias.  My feeling is that Lin could do what Lowrie/Scutaro hve done, and Iglesias can do what JD has done.  Meanwhile, I believe the defense at SS would be much improved and the defense in RF only marginally worse.  Thoughts?
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with giving Lin a shot parhunter.  I think the Sox could afford to replace Cam or Drew at anytime and still succeed this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

It certainly would likely only lead to improved offense, IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

This guy is not Lin. This guy has just recently emerged as a major prospect. Hassan is playing on the same team though and putting up even better numbers overall. Lin is a great defensive OF but can't hit like this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]This guy is not Lin. This guy has just recently emerged as a major prospect. Hassan is playing on the same team though and putting up even better numbers overall. Lin is a great defensive OF but can't hit like this.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Drew and Cam do bring defense which is important but like Jason, what is ultimately worth more to our team at this point?  Give me a decent defender with more productive offense in RF and I'm happy. 

You are only as strong as your weakest link.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Just another lefty, with talent no doubt.  Is this the guy that is supposedly really good defensively as well or am I thinking of someone else???

I'm high on Bryce Brentz.  Solid right hander, was crushing the ball in Greenville before being promoted to Salem where he has played in only a couple games (just game off the D.L)  Now all three first round picks are playing in Salem (Ranaudo/Vitek/Brentz).

I still think Brentz has a legitimate shot of being the future RF, only problem is there seems to be a year or two gap between when he will be ready and when the job opens up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Just another lefty, with talent no doubt.  Is this the guy that is supposedly really good defensively as well or am I thinking of someone else??? I'm high on Bryce Brentz.  Solid right hander, was crushing the ball in Greenville before being promoted to Salem where he has played in only a couple games (just game off the D.L)  Now all three first round picks are playing in Salem (Ranaudo/Vitek/Brentz). I still think Brentz has a legitimate shot of being the future RF, only problem is there seems to be a year or two gap between when he will be ready and when the job opens up. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Hey pal I'm from Morris CT, I think we tend to make too much of the LH hitter thing.  I would love to see a nice RHH come out of the farm but we do see more righties than lefties.  If you can hit you can hit, its just a matter of finding a decent defensive player that can hit anyone pretty well.

Easier said than done but they are out there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Well hello neighbor (literally) Bethlehem here right near the Morris line.  While I do think having a RH hitter would help balance out the lineup I do think that overall, the most talented player should get the Job.  Sure Kalish/Reddick are both very talented, but there are many players in the lower system who seem to be 'potentially' more talented.  I'm talking about the likes of Brandon Jacobs, Bryce Brentz, Alex Hassan, amongst others.  Heck who knows, Theo could pull the trigger on a trade this off season to replace Drew if he's not Comfortable with Kalish in there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

My bad for confusing Lin for Chiang.  Lin is the really great defensive prospect, and is hitting .286 at Pawtucket, but with only a .315 or so slg pct. and currently on the DL.

Chiang is older and ranked 25 slots lower on Sox prospects.com.  As pointed out, Hassan is currently ranked higher still (after shooting up the chart) and is doing very well at AA.  However, he is "mediocre" defensively.

So I have to agree that Brentz is the best RHH OFer in the system for taking over RF.  He just won't be ready next year, in all likelihood.

P.S.  Lin is not yet 23, and projects to be a top-notch CFer with a plu plus arm (strength and accuracy).  He could be the CFer after Jacoby leaves for FA.  Not quite as much speed or power, but hits a lot like Ichiro.  Ranked right there with Hazelbaker and Hassan, both of whom are a little older.  If Sox think he is the CFer of their future then a LHH OFer in RF is not such a bad thing after all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 1/2/2006
    Last: 6/14/2011
    It certainly would likely only lead to improved offense, IMO.

And the offense is such a weak spot .....   LOL.

Sorry, Par, I couldn't help myself. 

I would LOVE more offense, of course ... the more the bettah!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Bretz kid is something special IMO..I think if/when he does really well in Salem, he COULD sniff Portland this year if there is a trade or another call-up..Has anyone noticed Middlebrooks doing very good in Portland at 3rd? Lots of good talent in the minors.. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Reddick has not hit in AAA.  People keep talking about him as a star in Boston when his career average in three years at AAA is roughly 235.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick has not hit in AAA.  People keep talking about him as a star in Boston when his career average in three years at AAA is roughly 235.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Check out what he did last year during the second half in Pawtucket, pretty much, he killed it.  This year he is working on his plate discipline, as of last year I don't think his OBP was much higher than his AVG.  This year he is walking at 3-4 times the rate.  He's still young with plenty of time to mature, and his defense/arm is mint. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

everyone has an opinion, but it is not hard to read between the lines as to where the Sox (Theo) actually rate their own prospects. (not Sox prospects.com)
    Sox are big believers in age appropriateness at certain levels. They also believe in pushing to higher levels over come failure. Looking at a 22 year old in single A ball does not bode well for that player in the system.
    Sox are a big money market. They aren't going to count on a AAAA player for a full season. Only a real stud prospect will play for this team...Lester, Ellsbury, Ranaudo etc, or a player that has a really special talent...Iglesias. 
    Pawtucket is a nice place to catch a game eventually showcasing the players mentioned in Sox prospects, but not many will play for the Sox. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition : No problem JB-3, according to scouting reports he has always been an exceptional hitter with good power, range as you stated and arm. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

He's supposedly had the ability, but the minor league numbers that I've seen don't show a player who's been able to put it together.  Maybe he finally has.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

ANOTHER "CHIP" !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]everyone has an opinion, but it is not hard to read between the lines as to where the Sox (Theo) actually rate their own prospects. (not Sox prospects.com) Sox are big believers in age appropriateness at certain levels. They also believe in pushing to higher levels over come failure. Looking at a 22 year old in single A ball does not bode well for that player in the system. 

The exception to that rule is first year players.  Vitek, Brentz and Ranaudo are all in their first full professional season.  The Sox don't throw draftees into AA right out the gate, regardless of age.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Reddick has taken a little longer at each level than most of his peers..Hes what ya call a late bloomer..I think he can still be a starter in MLB, just prob not for the sox...Hes done better with his approach at the plate and can still hit for power..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Meh.  Reddick is still only 24.  That's not young but he has time and he is attempting to take a major step in his evolution as a hitter at this time.  If he can incorporate this new plate discipline and then get back to hitting for decent average and plus power, he may still be an MLB starter.  Obviously, not sure if we're talking about an AL East level starter but there's hope ...

I still think Kalish is an intriguing prospect too.  Then there's Lin who's defensive prowess and OBP could be an immediate benefit.  I hear he has a cannon-arm.