Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition

The exception to that rule is first year players.  Vitek, Brentz and Ranaudo are all in their first full professional season.  The Sox don't throw draftees into AA right out the gate, regardless of age.

yes, agreed I was speaking generally, as opposed to reading soxprospects and assuming that site is gospel.
    there seems to be differing thoughts on prospects:
    -where soxprospects.com ranks a prospect 
    -what the Sox say publicly about a prospect (always positive)
    -what the Sox do with a prospect (usually the tell all on the prospct)
    -where other teams rate a Sox prospect  (with regards to trade value)
    I find it humorous reading when people state that a player such as Lin would ever be a starting OF on a major market team trying to contend every year, or reading about trading Reddick, Doubront and Iglesias for Felix Hernandez while the Mariners do not find any of the 3 so appealing (and have no intention of trading Hernandez)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition:
    [QUOTE] yes, agreed I was speaking generally, as opposed to reading soxprospects and assuming that site is gospel.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

My bad, I assumed you were speaking to the likes of Brentz and Vitek because of the reference to Brentz prior to your post and the fact that they are both 22 in A ball.  I'm sure you can understand the confusion.

Completely agree that a site such as soxprospects.com only tells part of the story.

Eventhough Lin shouldn't be a starting CF for Boston, I do think that he profiles similar to a JD Drew type, with less power and better range.  High OBP and great defense, except that he plays a premium position.  He seems like he'd be a good 4th OF option internally, or a starting option for a team like Seattle or Oakland (I'm thinking teams with big home parks and CF openings in the next year or two).  Most likely, he'll be trade bait, though he could get a shot in CF if Softy gets his wish.  Lin is only 22 and was playing in AAA prior to the injury.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

If the sox have any movement before july 31, it will probably involve Reddick!  If Kalish recovers well, he will replace Drew next season, or we could see another trade.  Drew will be our RF starter this season, period!  You don't experiement when you are going for the whole deal...WS!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]If the sox have any movement before july 31, it will probably involve Reddick!  If Kalish recovers well, he will replace Drew next season, or we could see another trade.  Drew will be our RF starter this season, period!  You don't experiement when you are going for the whole deal...WS!
    Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

Because trading Nomar wasn't an experiment in 2004 right?

The Nomar deal provided a much needed spark, much as a change in RF could provide at some point this season (though certainly not while they continue winning).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition : Because trading Nomar wasn't an experiment in 2004 right? The Nomar deal provided a much needed spark, much as a change in RF could provide at some point this season (though certainly not while they continue winning).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

We have two RF's taking up space at this point who have huge contracts.  It will be difficult to trade either before their contract ends but I can see Theo trying his best to improve RF if he can.  Drew gets some good post season AB so if we end up keeping him lets just hope for the best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

My bad, I assumed you were speaking to the likes of Brentz and Vitek because of the reference to Brentz prior to your post and the fact that they are both 22 in A ball.  I'm sure you can understand the confusion.
    Completely agree that a site such as soxprospects.com only tells part of the story.
    Eventhough Lin shouldn't be a starting CF for Boston, I do think that he profiles similar to a JD Drew type, with less power and better range.  High OBP and great defense, except that he plays a premium position.  He seems like he'd be a good 4th OF option internally, or a starting option for a team like Seattle or Oakland (I'm thinking teams with big home parks and CF openings in the next year or two).  Most likely, he'll be trade bait, though he could get a shot in CF if Softy gets his wish.  Lin is only 22 and was playing in AAA prior to the injury.

When you say similiar to a JD DRew type, surely you only refer to JD's horrific season this year. To think that Lin will come any where close to JD of past seasons (with the Sox, Braves or Dodgers) is simply wrong.
    Why would you accept Lin playing OF for the Sox posting this year JD Drew numbers but you don't accept the same numbers from JD Drew?
    HAs anyone actually seen Lin play? I have, about 7 games. He looks over matched at the plate. His knowledge of the strike zone is lacking, and he is easily fooled causing him to strike out too much and not walk enough. He has absolutely no power at the plate, very rarely driving the ball (hence his low slugging percent). He does have nice speed, but is not a good base runner nor base stealer proven by his success ratio. Lin is no where near ready to even be a 5th OF for the SOx. He needs to play every day. 
    The player he most reminded me of in the Sox org was Raymond Fuentes, but Raymond is 3 years younger. (and now in the Padres org) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Lin is only 22 and was playing in AAA prior to the injury.

Which is why rkarp's point seems muddled by contradiction to me. 

On the one hand he is criticizing me for citing Soxprospects.com in suggesting Lin might have a future playing for the Sox, while pointing out that the Sox show their true hand by having the players they really believe in playing at higher levels in the minors at younger ages.  Lin is one of the youngest of all the outfielders mentioned in this thread, and he is already playing at AAA level. 

He has a great ability to put the bat on the ball, and if he can correct some mechanical issues, might develop Ichiro like power.  He has great wrists, and to me that is a great sign for a hitter.  On top of that, he was the defensive player of the year last year among all outfielders in the Sox' farm system.  And on top of that, Lin is an undrafted player, meaning the Sox had to outbid other teams for rights to his services. I suspect they are pretty high on him, but we shall see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]When you say similiar to a JD DRew type, surely you only refer to JD's horrific season this year. To think that Lin will come any where close to JD of past seasons (with the Sox, Braves or Dodgers) is simply wrong. Why would you accept Lin playing OF for the Sox posting this year JD Drew numbers but you don't accept the same numbers from JD Drew? HAs anyone actually seen Lin play? I have, about 7 games. He looks over matched at the plate. His knowledge of the strike zone is lacking, and he is easily fooled causing him to strike out too much and not walk enough. He has absolutely no power at the plate, very rarely driving the ball (hence his low slugging percent). He does have nice speed, but is not a good base runner nor base stealer proven by his success ratio. Lin is no where near ready to even be a 5th OF for the SOx. He needs to play every day.  The player he most reminded me of in the Sox org was Raymond Fuentes, but Raymond is 3 years younger. (and now in the Padres org) 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I meant a high OBP, with a batting average lower than you would like, thus resulting in lower RBI totals than you would expect.  Also a player who plays + defense at his position and can run a little bit on the base paths.  At the age of 22 it's tough to tell if he just got lucky this year or if he has actually made strides in his base stealing, but he went 12 for 15 in SB attempts prior to being called up.  A huge improvement over his previous seasons.  I also said that he would have less power than JD, so I'm going to leave that alone.

I didn't say Lin is ready to play right now, just that he would if Softy (current moniker, betterredthandead) gets his wish (to trade Ells and have a young RHH OF with good defense).  

When did you see these 7 games?  He's looked fine at the plate from what I've watched.

Since 2008, the lowest OBP he posted in MiLB was .342 and that was in 2008.  In 2009 he posted a .355 mark and in 2010 he came through with a .386 as a 21 y/o in AA with more walks than K's (72:63), which is something Drew has only done twice in his MLB career (2004-2005).  Line had a .360 OBP in AAA but was only 2 for 5 in SB attempts prior to being injured.

I'm not expecting similar OPS' to Drew (likely 100+ points lower), but as far as how he plays the game Drew is a decent (if imperfect) example who people omn this board can relate to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]  Lin is only 22 and was playing in AAA prior to the injury. Which is why rkarp's point seems muddled by contradiction to me.  On the one hand he is criticizing me for citing Soxprospects.com in suggesting Lin might have a future playing for the Sox, while pointing out that the Sox show their true hand by having the players they really believe in playing at higher levels in the minors at younger ages.  Lin is one of the youngest of all the outfielders mentioned in this thread, and he is already playing at AAA level.  He has a great ability to put the bat on the ball, and if he can correct some mechanical issues, might develop Ichiro like power.  He has great wrists, and to me that is a great sign for a hitter.  On top of that, he was the defensive player of the year last year among all outfielders in the Sox' farm system.  And on top of that, Lin is an undrafted player, meaning the Sox had to outbid other teams for rights to his services. I suspect they are pretty high on him, but we shall see.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]
    Par,
    please allow me to clarify what you feel is contradiction. Lin is 22 years old and playing AAA due to the Sox lack of position player prospects at the advanced levels, especially OF's. Hence the use of term "bridge years". The pipeline for positional players is bare, however the pitching looks very good. 
    A quick look over to your favored site, soxprospects, shows Lin's comp as So Taguchi, not Ichiro, enough said.
    Please watch Lin closer, as he does not have a great ability to put the bat on the ball. He lacks knowledge of the strike zone and his K's are inflated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reddick/Kalish may have serious competition :   He lacks knowledge of the strike zone and his K's are inflated.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

What do you attribute his well above average walk rate to?  It would seem the K's are more indicative of a contact or pitch recognition problem than a strike zone knowledge problem.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think another important aspect to consider is how some of these Prospects develop.  Some may seem like a mid level guy now, but over the next couple years develop and get better at every level.  It apparent that there are many Prospects in our system with the potential and talent to meet that challenge...but in the end only time will tell. 

Remember sometimes top prospects don't pan out, and sometimes superstars come out of nowhere. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What do you attribute his well above average walk rate to?  It would seem the K's are more indicative of a contact or pitch recognition problem than a strike zone knowledge problem.

JB,

I don't know why. I only had the chance to see Lin in about 7 games, and the strike outs that I saw were mostly called 3rd strikes, not swinging strikes.
    I mentioned soxprospects comped him to So Taguchi. I referenced him to Raymond Fuentes, albeit 3 years older. 
    Good to very good with the glove. Fast, but not a good base runner. High strikeout totals. Zero power. Can he be a 4th OF for the Sox? I don't think so. He obviously could be a late inning defensive replacement, but I would prefer to see a 4th OF get 20-25 starts a season spelling the other OF's. I don't think that is Lin. 
    To comp Ellsbury, in 07 he had a cup of coffee in AA and put up monster numbers. Promoted to AAA he was very good, not overmatched at all. Other than his throwing arm, I just don't see Lin comping Ellsbury at all.