Reddick Taking The Gas Pipe In Sept. AGAIN!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Reddick Taking The Gas Pipe In Sept. AGAIN!

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It sounds like you guys are carrying the water for Cherington.  Don't want to admit that he made a bad trade here.   I don't want to kill Ben C. , but let's just be honest here. This is Reddick's first year playing full time. No platoon.  He is batting .245 , 31 homers , 81 RBIs , 28 doubles , 5 triples , 11 stolen bases and 14 outfield assists.  A pretty darn good season by any standard.  Salty , in a much more hitter-friendly park ,  is batting .226 , 24 homers , 56 RBIs , 17 doubles , 1 triple , no stolen bases ( although many have been stolen on him ).   There is no comparison between these two players.  I am willing to admit that Andrew Bailey may turn out to be a good closer for us next year, but it is also very possible that Reddick will also improve next year.  There is no shame in admitting that , at this point , it looks like Oakland got the better of this trade. No need to rip Reddick in trying to defend Ben's deal.

[/QUOTE]

Are you being serious?  Reddick has 160 more at bats than Salty. You think that might be part of the discrepancy?

Reddick's OPS is 776, Salty's is 746.  They are having a very similar offensive year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yep, apparently schump is thrilled with a guy who hits 240, with 30 homers, strikes out 25 percent of the time, and had an OPS around 750.  

Also apparently he gets angry when pointed out this is not very good.

Reddick has the 4th or 5th highest WAR in RF, not very good???  How can you discount fielding?  Look at the whole picture.

Avg RF OPS  .760      JR  .774

Take park effect into account and JR is a bit above average hitting and well above average fielding.

ProJo: Boston has allowed more sacrifice flies than any other team in baseball, and nearly double the league average. While that's a crude judge of outfield arm strength, it speaks to other teams' willingness to run on medium-depth and even shallow fly-ball outs.

MLB OF Assists:

Francouer  19

Gordon   16

Hunter   14

Kubel   14

Reddick  14 (5 errors)

Red Sox OF  25 (19 errors)

[/QUOTE]

Just fighting hyperbole with hyperbole.  Schump says Reddick is "remarkable" and Dalehouse says  he will be in the "top ten of mvp voting"

I take back that Reddick isn't very good.  Now schump and Galehouse can take back their ridiculous statements.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, both have terrific throwing arms. Francouer is the better all-around defender.

So do we need still to see how this plays out?

I don't see how JF is a better all-around defender.  JR has the third best range in MLB for a RF for 2012, his career UZR is great.  JF has terrible range and is only 28 yo.  

Career Range   /   UZR/150    Fangraphs:

JF  -  31.8                 4.6

JR  + 22.9                 17.2

Range at 25yo

JF   - 9.6

JR   + 9.1

[/QUOTE]

Well noted Tom! Some people obviously don't even think before they post. I think a lot of people aren't factoring in the difficulty in putting up good numbers in that stadium also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Zone ratings are the biggest crock of crapola ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It sounds like you guys are carrying the water for Cherington.  Don't want to admit that he made a bad trade here.   I don't want to kill Ben C. , but let's just be honest here. This is Reddick's first year playing full time. No platoon.  He is batting .245 , 31 homers , 81 RBIs , 28 doubles , 5 triples , 11 stolen bases and 14 outfield assists.  A pretty darn good season by any standard.  Salty , in a much more hitter-friendly park ,  is batting .226 , 24 homers , 56 RBIs , 17 doubles , 1 triple , no stolen bases ( although many have been stolen on him ).   There is no comparison between these two players.  I am willing to admit that Andrew Bailey may turn out to be a good closer for us next year, but it is also very possible that Reddick will also improve next year.  There is no shame in admitting that , at this point , it looks like Oakland got the better of this trade. No need to rip Reddick in trying to defend Ben's deal.

[/QUOTE]

Are you being serious?  Reddick has 160 more at bats than Salty. You think that might be part of the discrepancy?

Reddick's OPS is 776, Salty's is 746.  They are having a very similar offensive year.

[/QUOTE]

He has more at bats for a reason. He has earned them.. This is the first time he has not been platooned.  I am sure that his batting average  and some other stats would improve if he got a few " rest " days. Maybe sat out against some of the tougher lefties.   Comparing him with Salty is  ridiculous. Reddick's value is far greater.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Strange argument...here is a post comparing Salty with Reddick to show how good he is and then there is a post here that says Salty is no good and should sit out and give Lavarnway a shot to play.  Go figure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has more at bats for a reason. He has earned them.. This is the first time he has not been platooned.  I am sure that his batting average  and some other stats would improve if he got a few " rest " days. Maybe sat out against some of the tougher lefties.   Comparing him with Salty is  ridiculous. Reddick's value is far greater.

[/QUOTE]

He has more at bats because he isn't a catcher. That's the reason.  catchers don't play every day.  Offensively their numbers are quite similar. Their power numbers and OPS numbers are almost the same.  Not sure why you think it is "ridiculous".  Extrapolate out the numbers if Salty had the same amount of at bats.  You pretty much have the same guy offensively.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Strange argument...here is a post comparing Salty with Reddick to show how good he is and then there is a post here that says Salty is no good and should sit out and give Lavarnway a shot to play.  Go figure.

[/QUOTE]

It isn't that strange. That's the point.

Guy on the Red Sox with low batting average, who has power and strikes out a lot is a bum.

A guy the Red Sox traded with low batting average who has power and strikes out a lot is a hero.

Don't you get it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Just fighting hyperbole with hyperbole.  Schump says Reddick is "remarkable" and Dalehouse says  he will be in the "top ten of mvp voting"

Fair enough Snake.

My thoughts on JR.  JR has had a nice year, and it looks sustainable.   For 2012 he has 14.2% HR/FB and a .221 ISO.  He had similar numbers in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2011 (AAA).  His power and defense seem legit, therefore even with terrible plate disipline he has a good chance to be an above average RF for a few years to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he loves Reddick's numbers, why don't we hear him singing Salty's praises?

Salty has near identical numbers from a more traditional weak offensive position.

[/QUOTE]

If the Red Sox trade Salty for scrubs and then you defend the trade all year - we'll probably discuss it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Andrew Bailey 5.79 ERA

Snake Oil calls that "nasty" and "electric"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reddick actually compares with this guy quite nicely:

Former Red Sox legend:

Age 26

HRs 24

RBI 63 (only 63 RBI with 24 HRs - what a slacker hitting solo HRs just like Redick!)

Average:  .247

Strikeouts:  119

[/QUOTE]

Snake and Moon would have traded this guy for banjo hitting back ups and oft injured mediocre relievers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Please don't compare the ultimate professional, Dwight Evans to Hillbilly Reddick, and his WWE belt collection.

Dewey had good minor league numbers, before coming to the majors. Reddick is the ultimate gag in the clutch player. I can't think of anyone worse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Let's not lose sight of what's really important:  I fervently hope that my daughters all meet, marry and breed with men that aggressively post "thoughts" like 'gas pipe', 'gag' and 'crapola'.  :-(

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Your delicate sensitivity, will undoubtedly lead them towards hairdressers, and clothing designers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Andrew Bailey 5.79 ERA

Snake Oil calls that "nasty" and "electric"

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you want to look at his lifetime stats rather than his stats for what-less than two months? If you compare his stats to those of Papelbon you will see that they are really very similar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your delicate sensitivity, will undoubtedly lead them towards hairdressers, and clothing designers.

[/QUOTE]

Way hey!  Homophobia is now added to your quiver of abuse, your parents must be proud of you.

Do you not understand how rude and aggressive your posts are, or do you not care?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Guess locker rooms dojos and military service, must be things you've avoided all your delicate life.

My parents are dead, but they proud of their son.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Reddick actually compares with this guy quite nicely:

Former Red Sox legend:

Age 26

HRs 24

RBI 63 (only 63 RBI with 24 HRs - what a slacker hitting solo HRs just like Redick!)

Average:  .247

Strikeouts:  119

[/QUOTE]

Snake and Moon would have traded this guy for banjo hitting back ups and oft injured mediocre relievers.

[/QUOTE]

No, I wanted him and a couple other additional prospects traded for Gio Gonzalez and not Bailey & Sweeney. I wanted Bard to be the closer.

Please stop inventing strawmen.

I have never bashed Reddick, but just because I point our some realities, you assume I hate the guy and think he is useless.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Next year Reddick hits 24 homers and withing three years we never hear his name again.... he will be out of baseball within 5.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He is batting .245 , 31 homers , 81 RBIs , 28 doubles , 5 triples , 11 stolen bases and 14 outfield assists.  A pretty darn good season by any standard.  Salty , in a much more hitter-friendly park ,  is batting .226 , 24 homers , 56 RBIs , 17 doubles , 1 triple , no stolen bases ( although many have been stolen on him ).   There is no comparison between these two players.  I am willing to admit that Andrew Bailey may turn out to be a good closer for us next year, but it is also very possible that Reddick will also improve next year.  There is no shame in admitting that , at this point , it looks like Oakland got the better of this trade. No need to rip Reddick in trying to defend Ben's deal.

1) I thought I was complementing Reddick by comparing his offense to Kingman's.

2) Did you bother to look and see that Salty's road splits are better than his home splits? 

3) I never said that so far, the deal looks to be working better for the A's than the Sox.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Please don't compare the ultimate professional, Dwight Evans to Hillbilly Reddick, and his WWE belt collection.

Dewey had good minor league numbers, before coming to the majors. Reddick is the ultimate gag in the clutch player. I can't think of anyone worse.

[/QUOTE]

Do you remember Evans?  When he was young?   He was not a superstar.  Not until he adopted the Charlie Lau hitting theories did he become a great hitter.

In AAA - Dewey had 601 Plate appearances and put up 17 HRs and 107 Ks (in his only full season)

In AAA - Reddick had 482 Plate appearances and put up 18 HRs and 73 Ks (in his only full season)

If anything - Reddick had more power in AAA.  But Dewey was a better prosect because he was 3 years younger than Reddick

Their numbers are similar at the ML level at practically the same age.  Both very good defenders.

Maybe Reddick adopts the charlie Lau hitting theory next.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and maybe Reddick will be a freak of baseball age projections as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Some guys develop later than others, but then usually do not sustain the production as long as those that are early bloomers or develop at the average age.

25. This post has been removed.