Reddick Taking The Gas Pipe In Sept. AGAIN!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Reddick Taking The Gas Pipe In Sept. AGAIN!

Reddick has been a great addition to the A's. 

But I think Moss (another former Red Sox) has been a finer addition.  Take a look at Moss' career numbers and this year's. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reddick has been a great addition to the A's. 

But I think Moss (another former Red Sox) has been a finer addition.  Take a look at Moss' career numbers and this year's. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I remember all those Sox fans screaming and yelling when we dumped Moss.

Here's the Moss 2013 numbers pro-rated to 162 games:

.283  42  95   (Reddick  .244  33  86)

And vs RHPs only:

.289  54  118  (Reddick  .248  30  76)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Big home run for Reddick today as September ends. Number 32.  Helps Oakland reach the playoffs.  Sox take " the pipe " again.  It's okay though.  Bailey will be a great closer next year.  And , Zach Stewart was a great pickup in the Youkilis deal.  I think we can depend on him as well.  Keep up the good work Ben.  Things are looking up.  Now , let's get rid of Pedroia, Ellsbury and Ortiz.  If we try hard enough , we can become the worst team in baseball.  Then we can get the first draft pick.  That is the way to go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Big home run for Reddick today as September ends. Number 32.  Helps Oakland reach the playoffs.  Sox take " the pipe " again.  It's okay though.  Bailey will be a great closer next year.  And , Zach Stewart was a great pickup in the Youkilis deal.  I think we can depend on him as well.  Keep up the good work Ben.  Things are looking up.  Now , let's get rid of Pedroia, Ellsbury and Ortiz.  If we try hard enough , we can become the worst team in baseball.  Then we can get the first draft pick.  That is the way to go.

[/QUOTE]

I was against the Youk deal and railed against it for weeks, but in hindsight, Youk would not have made a difference this year, and we would not have taken the 2013 option anyways. I'm not counting on Stewart to amount to anything, but he does have a 3.19 ERA in the minors and is just 26.

Just a quick question, do you think Reddick would have hit 32 HRs had he played RF with the Sox all 2012?

FYI: he has 4 career HRs in 200 PAs in Fenway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was against the Youk deal and railed against it for weeks, but in hindsight, Youk would not have made a difference this year, and we would not have taken the 2013 option anyways. I'm not counting on Stewart to amount to anything, but he does have a 3.19 ERA in the minors and is just 26.

Just a quick question, do you think Reddick would have hit 32 HRs had he played RF with the Sox all 2012?

[/QUOTE]

Ted Williams would not have made a difference this year.  Stewart does not have major league stuff.  He is a waste of time.  Reddick is starting to realize the potential that he showed last year. Oakland is a more difficult hitter's park than Fenway.  Home runs aside, Reddick is a much better all around player than Ross , Sweeney or Nava.  Bailey will never be the closer in Boston that Papelbon was.  Ben will be judged on how he spends the money saved on the L.A. bailout deal.  All is not lost , but things are not good right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've reported you for personal attacks. You don't like what I write, pass it by.

Got it, coochie coo. As for your daughter marrying a cop, BFD! Mine married an Army Ranger.

You are a shallow, little creep.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, you really are a hard man!  Here I was thinking it was just a sad, macho internet act from a pathetic has-been...

I think the occupation of either is meaningless, I was just responding to your pitiful attack on hairdressers, etc. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Andrew Bailey 5.79 ERA

Snake Oil calls that "nasty" and "electric"

[/QUOTE]

You really think it's smart to compare 12 innings pitched to a guys entire career.

Brilliant point.  I don't see how I could argue with you.  Well played.  Bravo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This entire conversation is ridiculous.  I am out of it.  The reason I got involved in these the whole year is because of the panic stricken "Reddick is amazing Bailey is horrible" comments such as the moronic one from Schump above.

Reddick is a good player.  he also has some serious flaws in his game.

Bailey is a good closer.  He was injured this year so he didn't get to show that.

If you don't know that both of the above comments are true than you don't know much about baseball.  I've wasted way too much time arguing about those two very obvious points.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This entire conversation is ridiculous.  I am out of it.  The reason I got involved in these the whole year is because of the panic stricken "Reddick is amazing Bailey is horrible" comments such as the moronic one from Schump above.

Reddick is a good player.  he also has some serious flaws in his game.

Bailey is a good closer.  He was injured this year so he didn't get to show that.

If you don't know that both of the above comments are true than you don't know much about baseball.  I've wasted way too much time arguing about those two very obvious points.  

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and just because Bailey may never be equal to Papelbon, does not make him horrible or useless. Reddick certainly has done well for Oakland, but his swing was not "built for Fenway", and the pressure spotlight playing here may have made a difference had he stayed. Much of this is conjecture, but too many posters here speak in absolutes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I haven't gone as far as doing an overlay of Reddick's 2012 HR's onto Fenway, but according to the HR Tracker website, about half of Reddick's HR's this year have been at least 400 feet, and the shortest of his 32 HR's travelled about 360 feet.  According to some data I found on ballpark dimensions, right centre in Oakland is 362 feet compared to 380 feet in Fenway.  But of course that difference would vary as you move closer to the right field line.

Based only on how far he's been hitting the ball, it appears that Reddick wouldn't have lost too many homers in Fenway this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

What everyone is losing sight of here is, Reddick has contributed next to nothing in the A's fight for a post season birth. He's at .171 for September. For the season, .197 w/RISP and 2 outs, .210 in late or close games, and .189 with men on base, with 149 Ks and 15 grounded into double plays.

If we had these kind of production going on from any RF in Boston, he'd get run out of town.

All thesse Reddick worshippers look at is one stat. HRs. Period.

Brandon Moss has had 2 walkoff HRs for the A'stin September, and has contributed far more than Reddick, when it's mattered. In September ,he's hitting .355, with 1.109 OPS, with 6HRs and 14 RBI! For the season, he's hit .268 w/RISP and .314 with men on base, far better and more valuable stats than Reddick's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What everyone is losing sight of here is, Reddick has contributed next to nothing in the A's fight for a post season birth. He's at .171 for September. For the season, .197 w/RISP and 2 outs, .210 in late or close games, and .189 with men on base, with 149 Ks and 15 grounded into double plays.

If we had these kind of production going on from any RF in Boston, he'd get run out of town.

All thesse Reddick worshippers look at is one stat. HRs. Period.

Brandon Moss has had 2 walkoff HRs for the A'stin September, and has contributed far more than Reddick, when it's mattered. In September ,he's hitting .355, with 1.109 OPS, with 6HRs and 14 RBI! For the season, he's hit .268 w/RISP and .314 with men on base, far better and more valuable stats than Reddick's.

[/QUOTE]

You're not looking at the full picture either.  All the games count, not just the September ones, and all the runs count, not just the late ones.  Reddick had 23 RBI in August when the A's went 18-10.  To say he's contributed next to nothing to their record is false.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Josh Reddick stats with the A's: .244/.775. Not horrible, but certainly not superstar status. Pretty ordinary for an OF really.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I haven't gone as far as doing an overlay of Reddick's 2012 HR's onto Fenway, but according to the HR Tracker website, about half of Reddick's HR's this year have been at least 400 feet, and the shortest of his 32 HR's travelled about 360 feet.  According to some data I found on ballpark dimensions, right centre in Oakland is 362 feet compared to 380 feet in Fenway.  But of course that difference would vary as you move closer to the right field line.

Based only on how far he's been hitting the ball, it appears that Reddick wouldn't have lost too many homers in Fenway this year.

[/QUOTE]

Simple overlays can be telling, but it is not the whole story. Pitchers pitch differently to batters in different parks.

I remember people doing overlays of AGon in SD vs Boston and projected 50+ HRs for him, but as it turned out, pitchers made pitches that AGon could pull to Left-center, but not go to LF with.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You're not looking at the full picture either.  All the games count, not just the September ones, and all the runs count, not just the late ones.  Reddick had 23 RBI in August when the A's went 18-10.  To say he's contributed next to nothing to their record is false.

He's also hit some big September HRs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

He's also hit some big September HRs.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Moon. And the A's are going to the playoffs and he played a role in April, May, June and July.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

WARNING to all GMs:

When discussing a possible trade with Billy Beane, be EXTRA careful.   LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WARNING to all GMs:

When discussing a possible trade with Billy Beane, be EXTRA careful.   LOL

[/QUOTE]

I'd say the Nats did pretty well getting Gio from the As.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Andrew Bailey looked sharp again tonight. Only gave up one run. ERA is now 6.00 . Reddick with another meaningless hit tonight. First inning single drove in Crisp. A's up 1-0.   I know , I know. Small sample size. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Love the one game sample size definitive judgements.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

Andrew Bailey looked sharp again tonight. Only gave up one run. ERA is now 6.00 . Reddick with another meaningless hit tonight. First inning single drove in Crisp. A's up 1-0.  

[/QUOTE]

gale, in fairness, Bailey's back from thumb surgery, this season and month. how about we wait until next season and see how he fairs?? I also think we need more than one season from Reddick before we call this trade. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The small sample sizes have a way of adding up over time.  Even a full season is a small sample size compared to a long career.  Maybe the next two years will show that Ben C. outsmarted Beane.  Maybe , but I seriously doubt it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

The small sample sizes have a way of adding up over time.  Even a full season is a small sample size compared to a long career.  Maybe the next two years will show that Ben C. outsmarted Beane.  Maybe , but I seriously doubt it.

[/QUOTE]

why cant it be a good trade for both sides??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why cant it be a good trade for both sides??

[/QUOTE]

It can be a good trade for both sides if Bailey can fill Papelbon's shoes.  Will that happen ? We can only hope.  I have seen no sign of it so far.