Reddick Taking The Gas Pipe In Sept. AGAIN!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Reddick Taking The Gas Pipe In Sept. AGAIN!

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The small sample sizes have a way of adding up over time.  Even a full season is a small sample size compared to a long career.  Maybe the next two years will show that Ben C. outsmarted Beane.  Maybe , but I seriously doubt it.

[/QUOTE]

why cant it be a good trade for both sides??

[/QUOTE]

It can be a good trade for both sides if Bailey can fill Papelbon's shoes.  Will that happen ? We can only hope.  I have seen no sign of it so far. 

[/QUOTE]

BIG shoes to fill, gale. If he comes close, I'll be satisfied. I think coming back from surgery, after missing most of the season, especially a pitcher, is too soon to say. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The small sample sizes have a way of adding up over time.  Even a full season is a small sample size compared to a long career.  Maybe the next two years will show that Ben C. outsmarted Beane.  Maybe , but I seriously doubt it.

[/QUOTE]

why cant it be a good trade for both sides??

[/QUOTE]

It can be a good trade for both sides if Bailey can fill Papelbon's shoes.  Will that happen ? We can only hope.  I have seen no sign of it so far. 

[/QUOTE]

BIG shoes to fill, gale. If he comes close, I'll be satisfied. I think coming back from surgery, after missing most of the season, especially a pitcher, is too soon to say. 

[/QUOTE]

I think we have him for two more years.  Let's see how he does next year. We can't keep making excuses throughout the length of his contract.  He pitched well in Oakland. Now , it is up to him to do it in Boston.  Meanwhile , I think Reddick will continue to develop.  I am not against Bailey. I am pulling for him to succeed .  It just bothers me how some on here try to justify the trade by demeaning Reddick.  Reddick is having a heck of a year. Why not admit it and be happy for him ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Andrew Bailey looked sharp again tonight. Only gave up one run. ERA is now 6.00 . Reddick with another meaningless hit tonight. First inning single drove in Crisp. A's up 1-0.  

[/QUOTE]

gale, in fairness, Bailey's back from thumb surgery, this season and month. how about we wait until next season and see how he fairs?? I also think we need more than one season from Reddick before we call this trade. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone here is saying they'd rather have Bailey & Sweeney instead of Reddick based on what they have done this season alone. Judging only by 1 year.

What some seem to be arguing is that Reddick's HR total is not the only thing to look at when evaluating his overall offensive game.

The one thing I haven't heard the Reddick supporters argue is a major point missed, and that is this:

When we traded for Bailey and Sweeney we believed ourselves to be major contenders for a ring in 2013 and 2014. We basically traded 5 years of team control of Josh Reddick (2 pre-arb and 3 arb years) for 5 years of the two guys we got: Bailey (3 arb year)& Sweeney (2 years). Now that 2012 turned out to be a disaster, and 2013 looks to be a rebuilding year, the trade looks much worse from our side going forward. This could be somewhat rectified if one of these two things happen:

1) We do compete in 2013 and Bailey helps us get there.

2) We trade Sweeney and Bailey for players that help us in 2014 and beyond.

My guess is we trade Sweeney this winter for a prospect, so we basically have 2 years of Bailey with the new prospect compared to 4 more years of Reddick. In hindsight, the deal looks bad for the Sox on paper, but my major contention was that at the time of the trade we needed to upgrade our staff. Bailey had a solid record as a closer- no not Papelbon quality, but pretty darn good nonetheless.

Sure, most GMs are judged by hindsight, and injuries or sudden declines are supposed to be somehow devined and expected by savvy GMs. I get this part of the judgement equation- it's part of all sports, however, if we are going to judge in hindsight, we must realize that all numbers and performances are not easily transferable. Had we not made the trade, Bailey might not have gotten hurt and had a great 2012 season, while Reddick wilted in the Boston spotlight during a horrible team season while playing in a park not really well-suited for his game. Yes, I know Oakland is not considered a hitter's park, but Josh actually has a 68 point better OPS in Oakland than on the road this year. In 200 PAs at Fenway, Josh has 4 HRs, while in 321 PAs in Oakland, he has 17. There is just no way anyone can know for certainty that Josh would have had a comparable season had he stayed in Boston. You just can't assume he would have, in fact, I think we could have been justified to assume worse numbers here.

My guess is that if we had publically turned down this trade, and Josh hit .225 with 15 HRs and 55 RBIs with Boston this year, and Baliey had a nice year as closer for the A's, some of these Reddick supporters would be bashing Ben for not making the trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Andrew Bailey looked sharp again tonight. Only gave up one run. ERA is now 6.00 . Reddick with another meaningless hit tonight. First inning single drove in Crisp. A's up 1-0.  

[/QUOTE]

gale, in fairness, Bailey's back from thumb surgery, this season and month. how about we wait until next season and see how he fairs?? I also think we need more than one season from Reddick before we call this trade. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone here is saying they'd rather have Bailey & Sweeney instead of Reddick based on what they have done this season alone. Judging only by 1 year.

What some seem to be arguing is that Reddick's HR total is not the only thing to look at when evaluating his overall offensive game.

The one thing I haven't heard the Reddick supporters argue is a major point missed, and that is this:

When we traded for Bailey and Sweeney we believed ourselves to be major contenders for a ring in 2013 and 2014. We basically traded 5 years of team control of Josh Reddick (2 pre-arb and 3 arb years) for 5 years of the two guys we got: Bailey (3 arb year)& Sweeney (2 years). Now that 2012 turned out to be a disaster, and 2013 looks to be a rebuilding year, the trade looks much worse from our side going forward. This could be somewhat rectified if one of these two things happen:

1) We do compete in 2013 and Bailey helps us get there.

2) We trade Sweeney and Bailey for players that help us in 2014 and beyond.

My guess is we trade Sweeney this winter for a prospect, so we basically have 2 years of Bailey with the new prospect compared to 4 more years of Reddick. In hindsight, the deal looks bad for the Sox on paper, but my major contention was that at the time of the trade we needed to upgrade our staff. Bailey had a solid record as a closer- no not Papelbon quality, but pretty darn good nonetheless.

Sure, most GMs are judged by hindsight, and injuries or sudden declines are supposed to be somehow devined and expected by savvy GMs. I get this part of the judgement equation- it's part of all sports, however, if we are going to judge in hindsight, we must realize that all numbers and performances are not easily transferable. Had we not made the trade, Bailey might not have gotten hurt and had a great 2012 season, while Reddick wilted in the Boston spotlight during a horrible team season while playing in a park not really well-suited for his game. Yes, I know Oakland is not considered a hitter's park, but Josh actually has a 68 point better OPS in Oakland than on the road this year. In 200 PAs at Fenway, Josh has 4 HRs, while in 321 PAs in Oakland, he has 17. There is just no way anyone can know for certainty that Josh would have had a comparable season had he stayed in Boston. You just can't assume he would have, in fact, I think we could have been justified to assume worse numbers here.

My guess is that if we had publically turned down this trade, and Josh hit .225 with 15 HRs and 55 RBIs with Boston this year, and Baliey had a nice year as closer for the A's, some of these Reddick supporters would be bashing Ben for not making the trade.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with any of that, but it contains a lot of ifs , ands , and buts.  The bottom line is that Reddick is helping the A's to the post season , while Bailey and Sweeney have been little , if any , help to us. That is the reality. I just get the feeling that some are trying to defend Cherington by demeaning Reddick.  Reddick is having a heck of a year , and is a big reason for the A's being where they are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

You might be able to trade sweeney for a fungo bat.  You'll never get an actual player for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bailey has been horrible.  He may be another of these guys who can only succeed in a low-pressure environment. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Sweet effort from Bailey tonight.  The kid is LIGHTS OUT NASTY.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sweet effort from Bailey tonight.  The kid is LIGHTS OUT NASTY.

[/QUOTE]

His defenders are already working on the excuses for tonight.  I'm expecting " small sample size."  His ERA is now over 7.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't disagree with any of that, but it contains a lot of ifs , ands , and buts. The bottom line is that Reddick is helping the A's to the post season , while Bailey and Sweeney have been little , if any , help to us. That is the reality. I just get the feeling that some are trying to defend Cherington by demeaning Reddick. Reddick is having a heck of a year , and is a big reason for the A's being where they are.

I agree, and some are trying to demean Bailey to bach Ben.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Over here in my corner, it is pretty obvious that Bailey pipes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't disagree with any of that, but it contains a lot of ifs , ands , and buts. The bottom line is that Reddick is helping the A's to the post season , while Bailey and Sweeney have been little , if any , help to us. That is the reality. I just get the feeling that some are trying to defend Cherington by demeaning Reddick. Reddick is having a heck of a year , and is a big reason for the A's being where they are.

[/QUOTE]

Bailey is doing a good job of demeaning himself. Let me ask you this ? Did you feel confident watching him on the mound tonight ?  I know I did not. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bailey is doing a good job of demeaning himself. Let me ask you this ? Did you feel confident watching him on the mound tonight ?  I know I did not. 

[/QUOTE]

I never judge a player on one game, one week, or one month, especially if he is coming back from an injury.

I do trust him as our closer next year.

I wish we had Reddick in RF this year and next as well, but my point is that we do not know how well he would have done if he had stayed in this messy situation here in Boston this year.

To answer your question, no, I had little confidence tonight, but unlike some here, I look at the big picture not a handful of bad games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Bailey has 18 appearances.  Craig Kimbrel has 61 appearances.

It's about a third of a closer's season we have watched.  And it has been horrible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well , a closer does get judged on each performance. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never judge a player on one game, one week, or one month, especially if he is coming back from an injury.

I do trust him as our closer next year.

I wish we had Reddick in RF this year and next as well, but my point is that we do not know how well he would have done if he had stayed in this messy situation here in Boston this year.

To answer your question, no, I had little confidence tonight, but unlike some here, I look at the big picture not a handful of bad games.

[/QUOTE]

Well , a closer does get judged on each performance.  The thing with Bailey is that he does not show anything to make you think next year will be different.  We had no confidence in him tonight , but it looked like he had no confidence in himself.  That is not what you want to see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Red Sox need to find a closer in the off season or they are setting themselves up to over pay for a closer at the trade deadline.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think getting a closer will be much of a priority.  Also you can probably expect a lot of talk about Tazawa getting a shot at it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Rangers

• Eight All-Stars this season
    • Signed Roy Oswalt
    • Traded for Dempster
    • Last Monday, the Rangers had a 5-game lead over the A's with 9 left to play

A's

• One All-Star this season
    • A's lost Bartolo Colon, McCarthy and Anderson.
    • $55 million payroll which is the second lowest.

Despite all of this, the A's might be crowned as this year's AL West Champs.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Reddick has 32 HR and 94 RBI. That's not taking any pipe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reddick has 32 HR and 94 RBI. That's not taking any pipe.

[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with that.  Reddick is in the post season and the whole team gives him a lot of credit for that.  As to his tanking in Sept...the Sox team tanked the whole year...sort of makes Reddick a shining star when compared to anyone on the Sox.  Hard to understand how a team in last place can throw rocks up that high and try to hit the target.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftymcrighty. Show Leftymcrighty's posts

Reddick has 84 RBI, so big deal.

He takes the gas pipe by not hitting with men on base. Read the stats, instead of looking only at HRS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reddick has 84 RBI, so big deal.

[/QUOTE]

Good enough to put him around 20th in a league of 14 teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Snake is right. Bailey does have electric stuff. With one swing of the bat Ibanez lit up Yankee Stadium.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

They just won the division.  I would imagine that he is very happy that he was traded.