Reddick-ulous

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

Reddick-ulous

The Sox braintrust traded Josh Reddick and two minor leaguers for Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney.  The often injured Bailey is out until at least July.  Whlie Sweeney is hitting ~ .350 he only has 2 HR's and 2 SB's in 2010, 2011 & 2012 combined.  Meanwhile the 25 year old Reddick, who looked to be a promising major league OF when he was first called up in 2010, is batting .292 with 8 HR's (tied for 10th in MLB) and 6 SB's in Oakland; a .500 team that's dead last in MLB batting average and 20th in runs scored.

You can't tell me Reddick wouldn't be a better OF choice than Sweeney, Nava or McDonald.  I would have been happy with an outfield of Ellsbury, Reddick and Ross.  What a horrible trade. Was this a Theo parting gift or the beginning of the Ben era?  Either way this trade is disgusting even if the two minor leaguers never make it to the show.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Reddick-ulous

Its bad right now because Bailey is out.  If Bailey returns and becomes a servicable late inning reliever that he has been along with Sweeney then its not a bad deal.  especially when we get Ellsbury back.  Its just ugly right now because of the injury situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Reddick-ulous:
    The Sox braintrust traded Josh Reddick and two minor leaguers for Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney.  The often injured Bailey is out until at least July.  Whlie Sweeney is hitting ~ .350 he only has 2 HR's and 2 SB's in 2010, 2011 & 2012 combined.  Meanwhile the 25 year old Reddick, who looked to be a promising major league OF when he was first called up in 2010, is batting .292 with 8 HR's (tied for 10th in MLB) and 6 SB's in Oakland; a .500 team that's dead last in MLB batting average and 20th in runs scored. You can't tell me Reddick wouldn't be a better OF choice than Sweeney, Nava or McDonald.  I would have been happy with an outfield of Ellsbury, Reddick and Ross.  What a horrible trade. Was this a Theo parting gift or the beginning of the Ben era?  Either way this trade is disgusting even if the two minor leaguers never make it to the show.
    Posted by teibore1

How come you didn't complain about the trade at the time?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

In Response to Re: Reddick-ulous:
    In Response to Reddick-ulous : How come you didn't complain about the trade at the time?
    Posted by ADG

I never liked trading Reddick.  He played well here and he's only 25.  I just don't see the value of an OF with no power and no speed.  Hate to say it but JD Drew brought more to the table than Sweeney when JD was healthy enough to play.  Bailey has a history of injuries. Bard is capable of closing.  I think its a bad trade even if the minor leaguers never pan out.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Reddick-ulous : I never liked trading Reddick.  He played well here and he's only 25.  I just don't see the value of an OF with no power and no speed.  Hate to say it but JD Drew brought more to the table than Sweeney when JD was healthy enough to play.  Bailey has a history of injuries. Bard is capable of closing.  I think its a bad trade even if the minor leaguers never pan out.   
    Posted by teibore1

Judging a trade involving young players a month and a half into it is a little premature at best. Let's re-visit in 4 or 5 years and then you can make a decision. 

Saying Bard ''is capable of closing," is an assumption and something he clearly doesn't want to do. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Reddick is a promising player a lot of us hated to lose but the main reason this was made, from Oakland's perspective, was in cutting costs. Sweeney has been a solid player and Bailey could well help us over time. As much as I like Reddick, it should be a relatively good deal for us over time, although losing Bailey to injury already is not helping at all. Bailey was supposed to be the main piece in that trade, our probable closer.

Reddick is their best hitter right now and he is solid defensively. He could even play CF. All that said, he's an OF and if not for several injuries we would have been fine in the OF.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Reddick-ulous : I never liked trading Reddick.  He played well here and he's only 25.  I just don't see the value of an OF with no power and no speed.  Hate to say it but JD Drew brought more to the table than Sweeney when JD was healthy enough to play.  Bailey has a history of injuries. Bard is capable of closing.  I think its a bad trade even if the minor leaguers never pan out.   
    Posted by teibore1

Bailey's was the prize....Sweeney was the throw in...who was supposed to platoon with Ross, not be the everyday RFer. Sweeney a good ball player, but comparing him with Drew is to be uninformed. Who in his prime was among the best in the game. Sweeney is what he is and that's a solid platoon player and a plus defender.

As for Reddick, he had his chance last year to stake his claim to RF and the Sox gave him numerous opportunities in the last three seasons, unfortunately for him, he hit below the medoza line and the Sox IMHO got great value in return. The kid has the tools to be an All Star caliber player. What he lacks is plate disipline...we'll see if he can continue his current pace...or will he fall back into the same pattern that caused him to hit below the mendoza line. After starting strong last year. That's expanding the zone, swinging at balls off the plate and not picking up the spin on the hard slider dwon and in. In essense getting himself out.

Time will tell if Bailey can get heathly in time to help this year...when healthy the kid can pitch...none of his injuries to date are of the chronic variety thus I am not all that concerned moving forward. I wish Josh Reddick godspeed and I would like nothing more than for him to realize his full potentail and one day lamment his loss...today, given his career resume. I'm not ready to draw any conclusions...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

ben made a great move by dealing reddick. nobody knew bailey was going to hurt his thumb in ST (its not like he hurt an oft' injured body part that is in his med history..just a freak accident). Also sweeney has been playing GREAT so far into the season, so what if he doesn't have the power #s YET. our hitting coach is the best in the game and if anyone can make sweeney live up to his power hitter body type its magadan..

without injury and the reddick trade this is what our looks like
    LF: Crawford
    CF: big numbah two
    RF: ross/reddick
    with no closer... or worse, Melancon! *shudder*

with the trade the OF looks like
    LF: Crawford
    CF: Big numbah two
    RF: Ross/Sweeney
    and a light out bailey shutting the door for us. all for a spare part in reddick. seems logical to me, if fact it would have been dumb NOT to make that deal

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

The best thing that happened for Josh Reddick was to get traded to the A's. This kid was the best outfielder the RS had in the system, bar none. He has an incredible skill set. His fill in time for the RS at the major league level was more than adequate,.280 BA + 6HRS in 80+ games, ( I'm winging these numbers but I'm close ). He was platooned by TF, DMAC would hit against LH pitchers, and stay in the game on defense. Tough to get any consistency going playing a platoon. His, Reddick's, Splits indicated he wasn't that bad against Lefties last year while DMAC was below .200 from either side combined. We find value in guys like DMAC,Sweeney, Ross,Byrd and trade our best OF'er prospect at the time for a sore armed pitcher with a history of injury for a guy perfectly healthy. Here's the rub, Trading an everyday player prospect like Reddick for a relief pitcher or closer type short changes the team aquiring the pitcher because the pitcher can't help the team everyday, whereas the everyday player can help the team everyday he plays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

The best thing that happened for Josh Reddick was to get traded to the A's. This kid was the best outfielder the RS had in the system, bar none. He has an incredible skill set. His fill in time for the RS at the major league level was more than adequate,.280 BA + 6HRS in 80+ games, ( I'm winging these numbers but I'm close ). He was platooned by TF, DMAC would hit against LH pitchers, and stay in the game on defense. Tough to get any consistency going playing a platoon. His, Reddick's, Splits indicated he wasn't that bad against Lefties last year while DMAC was below .200 from either side combined. We find value in guys like DMAC,Sweeney, Ross,Byrd and trade our best OF'er prospect at the time for a sore armed pitcher with a history of injury for a guy perfectly healthy. Here's the rub, Trading an everyday player prospect like Reddick for a relief pitcher or closer type short changes the team aquiring the pitcher because the pitcher can't help the team everyday, whereas the everyday player can help the team everyday he plays.
    Posted by eggplants

Josh, is that you, or is your Mom on your computer?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Trading a young player , who is still improving , is always a risky proposition.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

yet, if kalish had been healthy, Reddick would have never been called up last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

jasko2248,  Are you still waiting for Kalish? Think he'll get off the DL this year? What's it now, a year - a year and half? And I'm not his MOM but I am his Aunt. Go A's. Jass, can you believe that the A's might be aquiring talent at the trade deadline? They just got Inge and Manny's not too far behind....Think they can catch the Rangers? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

jasko2248,  Are you still waiting for Kalish? Think he'll get off the DL this year? What's it now, a year - a year and half? And I'm not his MOM but I am his Aunt. Go A's. Jass, can you believe that the A's might be aquiring talent at the trade deadline? They just got Inge and Manny's not too far behind....Think they can catch the Rangers? 
    Posted by eggplants

Not in 2012...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

The Sox braintrust traded Josh Reddick and two minor leaguers for Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney.  The often injured Bailey is out until at least July.  Whlie Sweeney is hitting ~ .350 he only has 2 HR's and 2 SB's in 2010, 2011 & 2012 combined.  Meanwhile the 25 year old Reddick, who looked to be a promising major league OF when he was first called up in 2010, is batting .292 with 8 HR's (tied for 10th in MLB) and 6 SB's in Oakland; a .500 team that's dead last in MLB batting average and 20th in runs scored. You can't tell me Reddick wouldn't be a better OF choice than Sweeney, Nava or McDonald.  I would have been happy with an outfield of Ellsbury, Reddick and Ross.  What a horrible trade. Was this a Theo parting gift or the beginning of the Ben era?  Either way this trade is disgusting even if the two minor leaguers never make it to the show.
    Posted by teibore1

And you can't tell me it would have been better to keep George Herman and pass on the 100 K ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This thread has the right title.

It is truly "ridiculous" to be complaining about which outfielders they decided to keep when the starting pitching stinks to high heaven!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Didn't like having to give up Reddick. BUT with the need for a closer, the obvious budget constraints, and the perceived surplus of outfielders ( assumptions of quick returns of Crawford & Kalish at the time) we paid the A's price which included Josh.

I wish him all the best yet would love having him here right now.Very exciting player with great skills package to be developed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Posted by eggplants

I was kidding with you.  I've never heard anyone call Reddick an "incredible talent."  I thought Sweeney and Ross would be more productive in right as a platoon than Josh and Bailey has terrific stuff "when healthy," so I liked the trade. 

Yes, I think Kalish has more upside than Reddick as well, but I guess we won't know for a while.  I don't think Oakland can catch the Rangers unless Texas gets hit with a rash of injuries, but they are playing good ball.  I'm not sure what Manny will have left, either.  Inge was released by a team that needs offensive help right now, so...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Posted by teibore1

I agree that Reddick is a good hitter, albeit very streaky, with good pop, and a decent OF'er. BUT..... I love the way you brush past SWEENEY's numbers!!!

This kid has been THE MOST CONSISTENT hitter on the Red Sox, save Papi.  Yes!  We know the kid's hitting style is completely inconsistent with hitting for power.  It's a trade off!  We've got plenty of pop on this team!!!!!  WHAT WE ARE SHORT ON IS EXACTLY WHAT SWEENEY GIVES YOU IN SPADES!  CONSISTENCY!!!!!!!!  UNBELIEVABLE CONSISTENCY!  .350 WITH A +500 SLUGGING PCTG.

I love guys like you!  Sure, it's fair to compare some trades, but you can't even appreciate a HUGE SURPRISE like Sweeney, because everybody isn't talking about him!!!  WHICH THEY SHOULD BE, but he's been lost in this horrific season.
    This KID is having an unbelievable season, yet fly by night fans like yourself can't appreciate him because you're so easily distracted by little shiny objects.

As for Bailey, I wasn't thrilled about letting Paps go!  However, given the FACT that Paps was in no way anxious to stay in Boston!  He wanted to go elsewhere!  He made that very clear to the organization.  I think they could have wooed him into staying, but it would have cost BIG MONEY!  I'm not sure it would have mattered, as he would have simply used our offer to push up his contract elsewhere!  Having said all this, I'm not convinced Bailey will ever pan out????  Especially given our current penchant for stepping into bad luck with picking up guys who are fragile!!!!  There is definitely a strong argument that the Sox absolutely need to stay away from guys who have a solid injury prone history, in a predictable, if not insane, bargain hunting strategy.

Whatever the case may be, it's clear that your fascination with the shiny object we let slip from our pocket has BLINDED YOU if you can't fully appreciate SWEENEY!  WE NEED TABLE SETTERS!  Wake up!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Reddick is a promising player a lot of us hated to lose but the main reason this was made, from Oakland's perspective, was in cutting costs. Sweeney has been a solid player and Bailey could well help us over time. As much as I like Reddick, it should be a relatively good deal for us over time, although losing Bailey to injury already is not helping at all. Bailey was supposed to be the main piece in that trade, our probable closer. Reddick is their best hitter right now and he is solid defensively. He could even play CF. All that said, he's an OF and if not for several injuries we would have been fine in the OF.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I agree. I liked Reddick OK, although his defense to me was suspect. He non-chalents fly balls too much and dropped a couple because of it.

Reddick is decent enough but I don't think he'll be anything more than a tweener 3rd/4th OF type. He's another Cody Ross, put it that way. So he was a good player to trade. 

If there weren't the injuries, there'd be a Ross/Sweeny platoon in RF and that would like produce as much or more as Reddick would. And Bailey still could help in the long run.

And who knows about Kalish? In the long term, Kalish still could end up having the better career than Reddick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

jasko2248.......Way back in the day, end of 2010, ctsoxfanhugh and I had a back and forth about Kalish and Reddick. We got into it pretty good. A lot of people liked Kalish and some still see him as a RS outfielder of the future,while Reddick got little or no respect. Less publicity. Baseball OPS was pushing Kalish. Kalish this and Kalish that. Not even close, talent wise, to Reddick. The guy they should have been pushing was Reddick not Kalish.Only a blind person could miss it or someone looking at a computer screen and not going out to watch the actual game. I'm sure insiders at the minor league level saw Reddick's potential but were not listened to. It's over now so we move on .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Reddick is off to a nice start, but remember what happened last year. Let's wait a while before judging.

Sweeney has about a 40 point OBP lead over Reddick now, so I wouldn't say it's a sure bet Josh out hits Ryan over the full season. 

Bailey is a darn good pitcher. To me, it is clearly a good trade even if Reddick does well in a no pressure area.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I think it is a noteworthy OP, I must say I didn't know he had 4 HR in his last 6 games.  He has the 2nd highest WAR for RF in MLB.

But it is really early and, just like Lowrie, Reddick has a history of streaks of both varieties.

IT's only 31 games, look at how slow some other RF have started:

Markakis   .779
    Pence       .778
    Hunter     .747
    Choo        .714
    Bautista    .684
    Cruz         .686
    Upton       .666

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Reddick is ridiculously streaky, Bailey is injured and Sweeney is hitting 353.

Which is THIRD IN THE LEAGUE.

I would say this is too early to call whether it be a good trade or a bad trade.

Sections
Shortcuts