Reds ink Broxton to 3/$21M, Chapman to rotation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Reds ink Broxton to 3/$21M, Chapman to rotation?

Rumor has it that this signing means Aroldis Chapman may be headed to the rotation. So what says the forum? Which way will it fall? Will the Reds find David Price or Daniel Bard? This guy was as dominating as I've ever seen any closer, his fastball and slider are not even fair--literally. He spent some time down in September with shoulder fatigue, and that's after 60, 70 innings (how many ever he pitched last year). What will happen if he's called on to do 180? The other factor though, as my dad pointed out tonight, is that he will always have 4 days to rest. But having seen what happened to Bard last year, I'm a little gunshy about this. If Chapman was with the Sox and this was done, what would you all have to say? I'd be hopeful, but a little concerned-and all this has a familiar ring to it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Reds ink Broxton to 3/$21M, Chapman to rotation?

Its going to be a couple years before Chapman can give them 200IP. The might get 130-140 in 2013, so they should have someone ready to go, and rest AD a game here and there. He'll hit a wall like Doubie did with us this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, theyre saying now he will be on an innings limit. The pitfall there is the Strasburg effect. There will be a hue and cry in Cincinnati if Chapman is shut down for the PS. The Reds will have to learn from Washington's mistakes and pace him all year so that he still has something left at the end. That is, assuming he will be successful enough to be a starter all year. I wonder what the Sox would have done along those lines if Bard had been more effective? And BTW, whats the news on Bard? Will he be his old self again under Farrell?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It worked for pitchers like CJ Wilson (who then got a nice contract from the Angels) but it did not for Daniel Bard. 

Then again, this is the Red's problem so who cares.  LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It worked for pitchers like CJ Wilson (who then got a nice contract from the Angels) but it did not for Daniel Bard. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm part Reds fan. My worry about it is what happened to Bard, but I forgot about Wilson, good point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm part Reds fan. My worry about it is what happened to Bard, but I forgot about Wilson, good point.

[/QUOTE]

Hello TheExaminer   :)
    I remember when Epstein traded Arroyo to the Reds for Wily Mo Pena.  Fast forward to today, Arroyo is doing well for the Reds and I have no idea where Pena is.   LOL 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I remember when Epstein traded Arroyo to the Reds for Wily Mo Pena.  Fast forward to today, Arroyo is doing well for the Reds and I have no idea where Pena is.   LOL 

[/QUOTE]

Im not even sure hes in baseball. Seems like I heard something about him in the minors last year, or he may have been a journeyman for a big league team, but Im not sure. Willy Mo was batter number 5 after the 4 home runs in the 07 Sunday night game against NYY. As Mary Brennaman used to say "Willy Mo giveth, and Willy Mo taketh away" because hed hit a hr then strike out or error a play later on. But yeah, that was a steal for the Reds. Arroyo has more wins in the NL since the beginning of 2006 than any other pitcher. Thats saying something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, theyre saying now he will be on an innings limit. The pitfall there is the Strasburg effect. There will be a hue and cry in Cincinnati if Chapman is shut down for the PS. The Reds will have to learn from Washington's mistakes and pace him all year so that he still has something left at the end. That is, assuming he will be successful enough to be a starter all year. I wonder what the Sox would have done along those lines if Bard had been more effective? And BTW, whats the news on Bard? Will he be his old self again under Farrell?

[/QUOTE]

I think after some time off to clear his mind and think nothing about baseball, Bard should at least be refreshed some. Farrell knows Bard should be a set-up/closer and I believe he will help Bard get back to where he was. Bard is a perfect candidate for a big comeback IMO...Farrell is going to help this team a lot...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think after some time off to clear his mind and think nothing about baseball, Bard should at least be refreshed some. Farrell knows Bard should be a set-up/closer and I believe he will help Bard get back to where he was. Bard is a perfect candidate for a big comeback IMO...Farrell is going to help this team a lot...

[/QUOTE]

Agree

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im not even sure hes in baseball. Seems like I heard something about him in the minors last year, but Im not sure. Willy Mo was batter number 5 after the 4 home runs in the 07 Sunday night game against NYY. But yeah, that was a steal for the Reds. Arroyo has more wins in the NL since the beginning of 2006 than any other pitcher. Thats saying something.

[/QUOTE]

I hated that trade...I was a big BA fan. Fellow musician and all...Good to see hes having a long and successful career...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im not even sure hes in baseball. Seems like I heard something about him in the minors last year, but Im not sure. Willy Mo was batter number 5 after the 4 home runs in the 07 Sunday night game against NYY. But yeah, that was a steal for the Reds. Arroyo has more wins in the NL since the beginning of 2006 than any other pitcher. Thats saying something.

[/QUOTE]

I hated that trade...I was a big BA fan. Fellow musician and all...Good to see hes having a long and successful career...

[/QUOTE]

He was rough in 2011, but made a few adjustments and was great this past year. He just floats it up there and dares guys to hit it. They usually cant. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was rough in 2011, but made a few adjustments and was great this past year. He just floats it up there and dares guys to hit it. They usually cant. 

[/QUOTE]

Those kind of pitchers can last a long time in this league if they pitch smart. BA has some nasty stuff. If hes off a little or his ball isnt moving well, its batting practice. Either way, hes good for about 14 wins and around a 4ERA and 200IP. Perfect 3-5 guy...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Good luck to them making Broxton the closer, he's not very good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good luck to them making Broxton the closer, he's not very good.

[/QUOTE]

Hes a big dude. Id be worried about back issues with his weight.

Sections
Shortcuts