Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?

It has become increasingly obvious that these 3 areas are the sox most glaring needs. Catcher is a tough one, not much out there that would really be an upgrade. Bullpen is tough too because most teams will not be looking to move quality bullpen arms unless they are guys who will be free agents at seasons end. There could be some decent options for right field though. Grady Sizemore is a free agent at seasons end and if healthy would be a really good pick up, Andre Eithier could be available as well and i think he would be a good fit for us as he would bring some needed punch to this line up as the bottom half of our line up is sucking big time (drew, salty, crawford) and papi is doing good right now but who knows if he will be able to keep it up. Obviously i would love for us to get a guy like justin upton and he could be available as the dbacks will likely not be contending let alone making the playoffs any time soon. He would command a pretty package in return but would no doubt be worth it as he is young and we could really use a right handed bat in the line up with pop. Now from what i have heard the dbacks wanted either buchholz or the agonz package for upton last offseason. Of course the players in the agonz package are gone but i think we could put together a pretty similar package:

1.ranaudo/doubront
    2.anderson
    3.reddick

could be other lesser parts added as well. i think he would be a perfect fit for us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?

Keep Randaudo and Reddick. Send Bellsbury and Lowrie to take care of these long term needs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?

I would love to see Sizemore in a Sox uniform but I just don't see them going all out for a big bat unless there's a major injury. 

As of right now, finding a catcher is key.  Maybe Ryan Doumit is the guy to go get, who knows.  Doubront would be too much to give up for him.  Maybe a B-Level prospect or 2 and Reddick can pull it off.

They have bullpen depth but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go out and grab another arm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Cleveland Indians hold an $8.5 million on option on Grady Sizemore for 2012 and if Sizemore is traded the option becomes a player option, Sizemore receives a $500,000 assignment payment and the 2012 salary increases to $9.35 million, accorindg to Cot's Baseball Contracts:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/cleveland-indians_20.html

Also, I'm not sure the Red Sox want another lefthand-hitting outfielder, especially one with Sizemore's platoon splits:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=sizemgr01&year=Career&t=b

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?:
    [QUOTE]The Cleveland Indians hold an $8.5 million on option on Grady Sizemore for 2012 and if Sizemore is traded the option becomes a player option, Sizemore received a $500,000 assignment payment and the 2012 salary increases to $9.35 million, accorindg to Cot's Baseball Contracts : http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/cleveland-indians_20.html Also, I'm not sure the Red Sox want another lefthand-hitting outfielder, especially one with Sizemore's platoon splits: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=sizemgr01&year=Career&t=b
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

The big picture though is that you'd have to think they'd be in the market for an outfielder of JD Drew keeps this up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Right now Catcher a Lefty reliever and a RF are the needs.  This team needs a guy who can get Lefties out and spell Bard in the later innings.  Catcher is a tough sell when there are not that many upgrades available without selling the farm.  Id like to see how Reddick fairs in the bigs but they would have to let Mcdonald go which would not take away from the team at all.  Scutaro should net you a RP at the deadline if he comes back healthy.

Take a look at the catchers in the majors and you will see a lot of guys who's avg. are around .220-.250 and strike out just as much as Salty and Tek.

Oki and Hill are not reliable options in later innings.  Bard is being used to much and you have no idea what you will get from Wheeler and Jenks when they come back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the more i think about it, the more unlikely i think it is that the sox will deal for a catcher unless a good deal comes along. I think they will try to pick up someone for the pen maybe jess crain or matt guerrier and try to move drew and trade for a right fielder. I think the most likely guy for the sox to go after is andre eithier. I just think that justin upton would be too expensive in terms of prospects though he would certain be worth it. Eithier could be had for less and would add some much needed pop to the line up. I dunno why i just have a feeling we will go after him and hopefully get him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Be happy with our catching, Salty will be a good catcher and hit 250 with 15 hrs. Needs to  catch more. Drew needs to move on and bring up Reddick before tossing away all our prospects. Cant believe you are panic mode in May when we are 3 games out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

The Sox are fine in those 2 spots. Relax.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

What happened to all of the Red Sox OF prospects? Wouldn't you rather keep them than trade all of them for another OF?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

power hitting right handed right fielder, mike morse, nationals
    dump Lackey, he is terrible

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

i see the Sox going with Salty and Tek as long as they are healthy. if JD stays healthy he mans right field. the bull pen has all the parts they need - it will be a mix and match depending on health.

I don't really see the Sox making a major deal. no catcher that is likely to be available is enough of an upgrade to empty the minors for.

I can see them moving Scutoro if they swallow some money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We do not need a RF, Drew is here for the remainder of the year. As we are accustomed to he is not performing offensively to our satisfaction.  This is no surprise, and was pre-accepted going into 2011.  Next year will bring new faces in Dewey's domain.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

pumpsiefan i like you the idea of getting bell and mathis, though i am not sure about bay. i agree we need a right handed power hitting outfielder, but i just dont think bay is the answer. He is 32 years old and is struggling and is signed to a bad contract. We need to get younger, so i think that theo may take another run at justin upton. I think we could get a deal done with the dbacks. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?:
    [QUOTE]Jeff Mathis catching, Heath Bell for the pen and....as ridiculous as it may sound, Jason Bay for RF. Their clubs are looking to move them. I'd give up Reddick. Brenz and Hassan will bypass him this year anyway. I'd even give up Kalish as he is to similar to both Crawfort and Ellsbury. We need righthand power in right field.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

Jeff Mathis catching?  Yeah, I'm sure RSN would love seeing someone less effective at the plate than either Salty or Tek playing every day...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, let's go with two catchers throwing out 14% of runners, one hitting .200 and the other .100. And by all means lets stay with a right fielder who projects out to about .230 and ten homers IF he stays healthy. And let's top if all off by not improving the pen and trading an invaluable utility infielder. Are you insane or just a Yankee fan?

Pumpsie...why do you trust the last six weeks over the last four years?  I don't get it.  I don't see any reason why Drew can't turn it around.  He has a history of struggling, and then becoming hyperproductive for several weeks.  I'm not saying it will happen again, but I feel much more comfortable trusting a mountain of data than an anthill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Right now Catcher a Lefty reliever and a RF are the needs.  This team needs a guy who can get Lefties out and spell Bard in the later innings.  Catcher is a tough sell when there are not that many upgrades available without selling the farm.  Id like to see how Reddick fairs in the bigs but they would have to let Mcdonald go which would not take away from the team at all.  Scutaro should net you a RP at the deadline if he comes back healthy. Take a look at the catchers in the majors and you will see a lot of guys who's avg. are around .220-.250 and strike out just as much as Salty and Tek. Oki and Hill are not reliable options in later innings.  Bard is being used to much and you have no idea what you will get from Wheeler and Jenks when they come back.
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]

Only one problem here jb...Hill has been lights out..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]the more i think about it, the more unlikely i think it is that the sox will deal for a catcher unless a good deal comes along. I think they will try to pick up someone for the pen maybe jess crain or matt guerrier and try to move drew and trade for a right fielder. I think the most likely guy for the sox to go after is andre eithier. I just think that justin upton would be too expensive in terms of prospects though he would certain be worth it. Eithier could be had for less and would add some much needed pop to the line up. I dunno why i just have a feeling we will go after him and hopefully get him.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Jesse Crain and Matt gurrier just signed this offseason..Doubt theyre going anywhere just yet. I would go for Kemp as hes a power RH bat..Ethier is LH

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]What happened to all of the Red Sox OF prospects? Wouldn't you rather keep them than trade all of them for another OF?
    Posted by StatsFromLouie

I would Louie..Hassan, Brentz, Lin, Reddick, Kalish..Just to name a few...Lots of kids doing well on the farm..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]power hitting right handed right fielder, mike morse, nationals dump Lackey, he is terrible
    Posted by bramrok[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, another brilliant post..How would you get rid of Lackey..theyre NOT going to "dump", as you say, 15.5 million a year til 2014..I hope your not suggesting the nats will take him..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Jeff Mathis catching, Heath Bell for the pen and....as ridiculous as it may sound, Jason Bay for RF. Their clubs are looking to move them. I'd give up Reddick. Brenz and Hassan will bypass him this year anyway. I'd even give up Kalish as he is to similar to both Crawfort and Ellsbury. We need righthand power in right field.

So let me understand this..you want to replace an aging RF'r with another aging LF'r who makes MORE money than our current RF and is signed for 2 more years at 2 mil more a year?? Brentz and Hassan will be ready possibly 2012 and def 2013...Both RH bats..I agree we need a Power RHB in rf, but Bay is def NOT it IMO...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

The only flaw I see on this team is the back end of the rotation. None of the options for a new backstop are better than what we already have. Drew will go on a tear eventually and finish the season with 275-280 BA and close to a 100 RBI's. why would this year be any different for him when he's been streaky his entire career. Have no idea what your talking about with the pen either. Our bullpen is one of this team's greatest strengths.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I THINK THE RED SOX CAN SURVIVE THE YEAR WITH J.D. DREW, BUT
    HE IS REALLY THE "BLACK HOLE" IN THE SOX LINEUP. SOMETIMES
    WHEN I AM WATCHING A GAME, HE MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM
    INSANELY WHEN HE STANDS UP THERE LIKE A STATUE AND REFUSES
    TO EVEN SWING AT BALLS DOWN THE MIDDLE. THEN HE PROCEEDS
    TO HIT A SOFT BOUNCER TO SECOND OR STRIKE OUT WITH RUNNERS
    ON THE SACKS. HE IS TRULY A MOPE AND A RALLY KILLER. FOR
    PETE SAKES, THE GUY IS HITTING ABOUT .230 AND IS ON THE DOWN
    SIDE OF HIS CAREER. WHY CAN'T WE JUST BRING UP REDDICK. THIS
    WOULD SEND DREW A MESSAGE, EVEN THO HE DOESN'T CARE
    ANYWAY...BUT IT WOULD BE A BREATH OF FRESH AIR.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Was this thread really started in the seventh inning of a tight, huge game last night? Hard to believe.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Pumpsie is just another one of those moron fans who panic a month into the season. Drew will be fine, as he’s generally a slow starter and is getting on base at a very good clip. People need to stop being ignorant and look at OBP instead of crying over BA.

And I’m actually quite happy with the pen. Hill has been lights out, as has been Alberts so those are 2 very nice surprises. Bard and Paps have been rock solid for the most part and there’s Bowden in AAA doing very well as reliever.

As for C, there’s no one out there worth getting so I rather stick with Salty who’s young enough to show potential.

Sections
Shortcuts