Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?

Pen:  Deal for Heath Bell

RF:  Call up Josh Reddick, maybe Kalish.....I think it's time the lifeless Drew be replaced by someone hungry

C:  If the Cards need to break the bank for Puljous and if the want to also keep Carpenter, they may have to let Yadiar Molina walk after the season.  If they are out of the race, they should deal him.  Lot's of if's, so it's a long a shot. 

But could imagine adding Bell and Y Molina to this team and then subtracting Drew?!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?

In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?:
    [QUOTE]yeah, Bay is a stretch to say the least. Just an idea. there is just so little RH power out there. Obviously the Mets would have to eat a contract to make it viable (Lackey?).  But other than Upton who else is out there that would give us some power from RF?
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

pumpisefan..I think the Sox will be OK in RF this year and with Kalish and Reddick ready now and Hassan and Brentz almost ready, the Sox might only need a stopgap for a year..If even that..Its not a glaring need, IMO, right now..back of the rotation is another story..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

One possibility could be to consider attempting a deal for Jeff Francoeur mid season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?:
    [QUOTE]The only flaw I see on this team is the back end of the rotation. None of the options for a new backstop are better than what we already have. Drew will go on a tear eventually and finish the season with 275-280 BA and close to a 100 RBI's. why would this year be any different for him when he's been streaky his entire career. Have no idea what your talking about with the pen either. Our bullpen is one of this team's greatest strengths.
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]

RSN14; JD has only drove in 100 rbi once..hes more like a 60-70rbi guy..But i agree that he will go on one of his hitting streaks at some point..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each? : pumpisefan..I think the Sox will be OK in RF this year and with Kalish and Reddick ready now and Hassan and Brentz almost ready, the Sox might only need a stopgap for a year..If even that..Its not a glaring need, IMO, right now..back of the rotation is another story..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

The only real option for RF in the minors right now is Reddick.  Kalish has a torn labrum and Linares is having (had?) season ending surgery on his ankle.  Brentz isn't close to ready, he's in his first full year at A ball, while Hassan is in his first year at AA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I'll take either Pirate catcher.  They gotta move one of 'em.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

who in their right mind would deal Kalish and years of cheap control, a guy who goes all out, and keep Bellsbury who plays every ball as if it's a recreational softball game, when Bellsbury is going to cost a lot more and Crawford can do everything Bellsbury can do, except better:

Bellsbury: Cost will be 4 to 7 million for 2012
                  Cost will be 4 to 7 million for 2013
                  FA demands of absurdity for 2014

Why sink 10 to 14M in a guy for, at best, a couple of draft picks, when you arleady have Kalish and Reddick under control for years and you can find MLB ready young talent by year end if you trade Bellsbury to the NL. Makes zero sense. Spend the 10 to 14M elsewehre, over the next two years, and get back a solid and proven young RH OF'er or a catcher.

Bellsbury is what he is, and this superstar nonsense is just that. He plays CF like he's worried about his next contract, and he was, at best, marginal at it in the first place. He has a lower OBP than Gardner, plays worse defense, has a weaker arm, yet most fans are attached to this guy like he's the second coming of Ted Williams. 142M on Crawford means you need to find another speed baseball hero to identify with. Ellsbury needs to be traded, by the end of next winter. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each? : The only real option for RF in the minors right now is Reddick.  Kalish has a torn labrum and Linares is having (had?) season ending surgery on his ankle.  Brentz isn't close to ready, he's in his first full year at A ball, while Hassan is in his first year at AA.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I realize Reddick is the only option now due to others being injured. I dont think there is a need now though. That was my main point.. Brentz, IMO, will be in AA very soon.. College exp., 1st rounder whos got all the tools and is killing A pitching.. Plus i was naming those two(Hassan,Brentz) because they are RH bats who playcorner OF..We dont need another LH bat in that OF IMO..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each?:
    [QUOTE]It has become increasingly obvious that these 3 areas are the sox most glaring needs. Catcher is a tough one, not much out there that would really be an upgrade. Bullpen is tough too because most teams will not be looking to move quality bullpen arms unless they are guys who will be free agents at seasons end. There could be some decent options for right field though. Grady Sizemore is a free agent at seasons end and if healthy would be a really good pick up, Andre Eithier could be available as well and i think he would be a good fit for us as he would bring some needed punch to this line up as the bottom half of our line up is sucking big time (drew, salty, crawford) and papi is doing good right now but who knows if he will be able to keep it up. Obviously i would love for us to get a guy like justin upton and he could be available as the dbacks will likely not be contending let alone making the playoffs any time soon. He would command a pretty package in return but would no doubt be worth it as he is young and we could really use a right handed bat in the line up with pop. Now from what i have heard the dbacks wanted either buchholz or the agonz package for upton last offseason. Of course the players in the agonz package are gone but i think we could put together a pretty similar package: 1.ranaudo/doubront 2.anderson 3.reddick could be other lesser parts added as well. i think he would be a perfect fit for us.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

This is why I howled when they let Martinez go.  What an astonishingly dumb f'n thing for Epstein to do!   Finally they had the catcher with the big bat they sorely needed and the Boy Blunder strikes again!!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each? : I realize Reddick is the only option now due to others being injured. I dont think there is a need now though. That was my main point.. Brentz, IMO, will be in AA very soon.. College exp., 1st rounder whos got all the tools and is killing A pitching.. Plus i was naming those two(Hassan,Brentz) because they are RH bats who playcorner OF..We dont need another LH bat in that OF IMO..

Ok, just making sure you were aware.  I honestly don't see either Brentz or Hassan as being MLB ready before mid 2013.  I also don't see Brentz going to AA any time soon (maybe a cup of coffee stint at years end).  He isn't even in high A ball right now.  I can't see him skipping Salem.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

" He has a lower OBP than Gardner"

Would anyone on here have a problem with a player who has a .356 career OBP and a .388 OBP last year?

You can keep comparing Ells' OBP to Gardner's all you want, but it's meaningless unless people have a problem with Gardner's OBP.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

majorleague sounds so much like softlaw on the subject of Jake.  Hard for me to see dumping someone who has nailed down the leadoff spot, who is up there in runs scored and SB's, and who even gets an rbi now and then--as in, he is currently tied with Ortiz in rbi's.  He has good range in the outfield and rarely makes an error.  Not much of an arm, but that hasn't cost the Sox much to date. 

I also would keep Drew/Cameron in RF for the rest of the season.  Drew does seem to be near the end of his career, but who knows?  Maybe he will turn things around, if only to get another year in MLB. 

Kalish and Reddick have never demonstrated that either can hit MLB pitching consistently.  This could change, of course, but I wouldn't bet the farm on either one. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]majorleague sounds so much like softlaw on the subject of Jake.  Hard for me to see dumping someone who has nailed down the leadoff spot, who is up there in runs scored and SB's, and who even gets an rbi now and then--as in, he is currently tied with Ortiz in rbi's.  He has good range in the outfield and rarely makes an error.  Not much of an arm, but that hasn't cost the Sox much to date.  I also would keep Drew/Cameron in RF for the rest of the season.  Drew does seem to be near the end of his career, but who knows?  Maybe he will turn things around, if only to get another year in MLB.  Kalish and Reddick have never demonstrated that either can hit MLB pitching consistently.  This could change, of course, but I wouldn't bet the farm on either one. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

That would be because he is softlaw/GM.

I agree that the Drew/Cam platoon in RF is fine for this year in theory, but the question is what happens when one (or both) of them get injured *knock on wood*.

There is usually an adjustment period for players moving up to the MLB level (see Pedroia as a perfect example), so I'm not overly concerned about what Reddick/Kalish have shown in short MLB samples.  Keep in mind Kalish did have a .710 OPS last season in 53 games, and was on pace for 30+ SB's and 12+ HR's over a full season in his first appearance in the bigs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

My thoughts are:

Bullpen: There are plenty of moving parts in house. Getting a "name" is going to cost futures and often works out like the Gagne trade did. Wheeler and Jenks are injured, Albers has been a pleasant surprise, Aceves seems OK, Bard is killer with inherited runners has hurt himself in clean frames 3 times. Paplebon looks like he is much closer to 07-08 Paps than the 09-10 Paps. Seems there is enough on hand to avoid spending futures in the speculative market of relief pitchers.

Right field: First of all the RF on this roster is a bottom third of the order position. Second after all the years of watching JD Drew you think people would get that he goes off once or twice a season for high productivity and gives you a gets on base about 36% of the time in between without a lot run production. Both Cameron and Drew patrol RF well on defense. If the 2B and the LF start to hit like the back of their baseball cards, this is not a big deal.

Catcher: Yeah neither guy is hitting, on is too old to hit, neither guy has a gun for an arm and catches a staff that can't hold runners well. Stating that the RS have a weakness at catcher is stating the obvious frankly. But the market is thin at best and deals won't be happening until the deadline and few will be there at an acceptable price point if there are alot of tight races in MLB come July.

The biggest needs are for the players on the roster to play to their potential, to get timely hitting when they are getting good pitching and to get lights out pitching or explosive offensive nights when one of the two elements is off. Just like the last three games.

Just my takes

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Ellsbury hasn't exaclty "nailed down" the leadoff spot. Nor has he ever become a "on-base machine". The nail came out a few weeks ago. Of course, when someone calls him "destined to be a superstar", take those comments with a large grain of bad salt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each? : Ok, just making sure you were aware.  I honestly don't see either Brentz or Hassan as being MLB ready before mid 2013.  I also don't see Brentz going to AA any time soon (maybe a cup of coffee stint at years end).  He isn't even in high A ball right now.  I can't see him skipping Salem.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

yeah. I agree JB..i didnt think they would be up til 2013 either, I was just referring to the future options...I think Brentz will rise quick, but thats just me..Im really impressed with what Ive seen from him so far so i might be a little bias..They are both doing great so far. What are your thoughts on our group of catchers in the minors?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]We do not need a RF, Drew is here for the remainder of the year. As we are accustomed to he is not performing offensively to our satisfaction.  This is no surprise, and was pre-accepted going into 2011.  Next year will bring new faces in Dewey's domain.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  RF is not going to be addressed this season.  Drew will probably end up having a couple hot stretches so by years end his #'s will look similar to what they have been but overall he will continue to frustrate at the plate. 

RF moving forward is interesting because while both Reddick and Kalish have given reason to believe they could be RF of the future for the big club, it would seem either of them would have to be the LH bat in a RF platoon since Crawford and Ells are LH sticks that look like they are going to be here for many years. They need at least 1 RH bat in the OF against LHP.

I don't follow the farm teams that closely but I know Reddick is killing it so far this year and Kalish has been hurt I think.  Management needs to decide what they want to do because with that many LH OF bats someone is trade bait.

I don't think they are in any rush to make moves in the Pen.

They thought Salty was the guy so I'd guess they stick out the Tek/Salty experiment a while longer, hoping that Salty pulls a Pedroia circa 2007.  If not, catcher will have to addressed before the deadline.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i disagree with those of you that say drew will go on a hot streak at some point this year. Drew has clearly declined offensively. look at his stats from last year, almost every category dropped. his batting average was .255, so i dont see why anyone would expect him to hit .275-280. This line up needs more power, plain and simple. We have agonz who is our only real power threat, and youk who will hit 25 homers, and papi who will hit around the same, maybe closer to 30. Neither are the kind of threat though that we need. Ya they will each hit their fair share of homers but youk especially is more of a contact hitter than a power guy. I agree catcher will be hard to fill, miguel montero will likely be our best bet. Imagine if we could work out a blockbuster for upton and montero. that would be awesome and fill 2 major needs. And ya relievers are hit or miss, but i think guerrier and crain would be good pick ups. they are both pretty reliable guys. But really what we need is for jenks and wheeler to come back and pitch better. hill has be solid so far and is looking like he will stick around as our 2nd lefty. aceves is a good 6-7 inning guy. So hopefully we can somehow get rid of wakefield so our pen would be this:

papelbon
    bard
    jenks
    okajima
    hill
    aceves
    albers

thats best case scenario. i dunno how wheeler will fit in but the way he has pitched i dont really care. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Drew last year was streaky. He had 3 months where his OPS was over .800, one at .965 and two under .700. His stats also suffered from having more PAs versus LH pitching than he had at any previous point in his RS career. That was a by-product of the injuries. If Crawford starts to hit like he can this line-up will have the RF combo in the 8 spot in the line-up and that will be more productive than almost any team has at 8 and the known softness at 9. The front seven IMO playing to potential will cover it and the RF combo will field the position quite well.

IMO in 2011 if the RS get 30-35 HR from A-Gon - 25-30 from Youk and Ortiz that is a lot of power. 90 to 100 HR from 3 players will get it done. It isn't 2004 anymore. Only 3 teams in MLB had 200 HRs in 2010 and only one made the playoffs (NYY with 201).  The other 10 players should be able to provide the other 100 HR.

Not that it means much but prior to the start of this season and a DL trip, Wheeler was a model of consistency in a role (relief) where consistent play is not  common.

2008 WHIP : 0.995
    2009 WHIP : 0.867
    2010 WHIP : 1.076

So it certainly is very early to write a guy off 10 innings pitched in Boston while hurt after putting up those kind of numbers over 3 years and 150 plus innings. Plus they have Doubrount, Miller, Atchinson and Bowden in the minors. The BP is probably fine over the course of the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Hard for me to see dumping someone who has nailed down the leadoff spot, who is up there in runs scored and SB's

A.L. League average from leadoff spot. 

Ellsbury

Hmmm? Looks pretty nailed ddown to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each? : yeah. I agree JB..i didnt think they would be up til 2013 either, I was just referring to the future options...I think Brentz will rise quick, but thats just me..Im really impressed with what Ive seen from him so far so i might be a little bias..They are both doing great so far. What are your thoughts on our group of catchers in the minors?

Brentz has looked really good so far this year, and appears to have found his swing, which he lost after signing in 2010.  For me, it's just a matter of how far down in the organization he is right now and I don't think the Sox will want to rush the kid and risk altering his development when they haven't developed a power hitter to this point in time.  Either way, we're certainly not that far off from each other regarding Brentz.

As for the catchers in the system, there's certainly a lot of quantity.  To me, Lavarnway looks like Jesus Montero, but with less bat.  I think he could have a decent career as a 1B or DH, with a chance of catching considering he started learning the position relatively late in his amateur career.

As far as near term help in the minors, I have to give the nod to Exposito (although that may be slightly biased) even though he is currently struggling at AAA.  His main advantage is that he is already on the 40 man roster and has spent considerable time at AAA.  McKenry on the other hand is hitting far better than expected and is solid defensively.  If there's a long term need mid-season, I believe this is their guy.

Dan Butler could end up as a future starter in MLB, but he's a couple years away (although already 24).  He's currently sporting a .909 OPS in high A ball and is average defensively and supposedly calls a good game.

One of the problems the Sox minor league catchers are facing is the sheer quantity.  Butler will have a hard time moving up without moves being made.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]The only flaw I see on this team is the back end of the rotation. None of the options for a new backstop are better than what we already have. Drew will go on a tear eventually and finish the season with 275-280 BA and close to a 100 RBI's. why would this year be any different for him when he's been streaky his entire career. Have no idea what your talking about with the pen either. Our bullpen is one of this team's greatest strengths.
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]
    "Drew will go on a tear eventually" Really! Last year he had 66 rbis. This year he is on a pace for 30-40. All that for14 million per!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Drew last year was streaky. He had 3 months where his OPS was over .800, one at .965 and two under .700. His stats also suffered from having more PAs versus LH pitching than he had at any previous point in his RS career. That was a by-product of the injuries. If Crawford starts to hit like he can this line-up will have the RF combo in the 8 spot in the line-up and that will be more productive than almost any team has at 8 and the known softness at 9. The front seven IMO playing to potential will cover it and the RF combo will field the position quite well. IMO in 2011 if the RS get 30-35 HR from A-Gon - 25-30 from Youk and Ortiz that is a lot of power. 90 to 100 HR from 3 players will get it done. It isn't 2004 anymore. Only 3 teams in MLB had 200 HRs in 2010 and only one made the playoffs (NYY with 201).  The other 10 players should be able to provide the other 100 HR. Not that it means much but prior to the start of this season and a DL trip, Wheelerwas a model of consistency in a role (relief) where consistent play is not  common. 2008 WHIP : 0.995 2009 WHIP : 0.867 2010 WHIP : 1.076 So it certainly is very early to write a guy off 10 innings pitched in Boston while hurt after putting up those kind of numbers over 3 years and 150 plus innings. Plus they have Doubrount, Miller, Atchinson and Bowden in the minors. The BP is probably fine over the course of the season.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Wheeler has had 5 good seasons out of 11. This is his 12th, and he looks like a complete bust.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Redsox biggest needs: catcher, right fielder, pen help. Who do we get for each? : Wheeler has had 5 good seasons out of 11. This is his 12th, and he looks like a complete bust.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

It's not such a big deal if Wheeler is a bust.  Maybe he recovers, maybe he doesn't.  He's an extra spare part at this point.