Redsox Injury Depth...Is trade bait available if needed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Redsox Injury Depth...Is trade bait available if needed?

From a quick look at the farm we have quite a bit of starting pitching depth right now. We lost Matsuzaka, and Lackey is teetering on the edge with elbow issues but we do have the below options:

1) Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) Buchholz
    4) Lackey
    5) Wakefield
    6) Aceves
    7) Andrew Miller
    8) Doubront
    9) Milwood
    10) Duckworth

At least 8 of those guys are viable mlb starters right now. We should be ok going forward. It is amazing how such situations change but overall we are in a good situation for starting pitching IMO. I wouldn't trade any of these guys though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Redsox Injury Depth...Is trade bait available if needed?

We have some decent relievers available also. Okajima, Bowden, Hottovy. Weiland could be a starter or reliver and he's probably having his best year to date this year. Position player depth is fairly well covered. Where do we have some available trade material?

I would say potentially at OF depth:

1) Ellsbury
    2) Crawford
    3) Drew
    4) Cameron
    5) McDonald
    6) Reddick
    7) Hassan
    8) Kalish
    9) Chih-Hsien Chiang ( Look him up...he is emerging this year )
    10) Linares 
    11) Nava
    12) Hazelbaker 
    13) Brentz  
    14) Jacobs  
    15) Ramos  
    16) Lin

The above are probably our best OF prospects right now. We probably have some potential to trade some of these guys. Some of these guys are having breakout years, i.e. Brentz, Hassan and Jacobs. These are prime mlb prospects at this point and would be very much in demand.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Which 8 do you consider "viable" MLB starters?

I count 5 - Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Wakefield, Lackey. With Aceves being a good "swing man" but not a longterm solution to anyone's rotation....so you could stretch that to 6 , maybe.

If you consider Okajima as a "decent" reliever, you are probably the only one who thinks that way. Most believe he is close to washed up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Agreed Slomag! I think Millwood has a chance but it is a remote one. The stuff is gone but he hasn't had good stuff for years and did pretty well with it until last year if I remember correctly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

My point to this thread is that if we do have to trade someone from the farm, it should probably include and outfielder. We will need some OF talent next year so it probably is a guy from the low minors. Basically, we really do not have that much to offer right now even though the farm is rebuilding fast.

For those of you into it, Xander Bogaerts just jumped to Greenville as a 18/19 year old. Skipped Lowell. The SS prospect compared recently to Hanley.

I love what is going on in the low minors right now, especially in Greenville. Does anyone think Miles Head is for real? The guy is putting up Papi like numbers. He's starting to really emerge as a future hitting stud!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Cameron right now is not trade bait - not with an average below the Mendoza line and on off-season that included abdominal surgery.

He'll be fortunate to get a minor league deal for next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Ellsbury
    2) Crawford
    3) Drew
    4) Cameron
    5) McDonald
    6) Reddick
    7) Hassan
    8) Kalish
    9) Chih-Hsien Chiang ( Look him up...he is emerging this year )
    10) Linares 
    11) Nava
    12) Hazelbaker 
    13) Brentz  
    14) Jacobs  
    15) Ramos  
    16) Lin

Red= FA this winter  Blue=ARB 1 of 4

With Drew and Cameron both almost certainly leaving this winter, I'm not sure Theo will be looking to trade "depth", unless they are part of a deal to get a RH'd ML ready OF'er for 2012.

While I think Reddick may be higher than Kalish in readiness right now, I think other teams value Kalish higher as trade bait.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Redsox Injury Depth...Is trade bait available if needed?:
    [QUOTE]1) Ellsbury 2) Crawford 3) Drew 4) Cameron 5) McDonald 6) Reddick 7) Hassan 8) Kalish 9) Chih-Hsien Chiang ( Look him up...he is emerging this year ) 10) Linares  11) Nava 12) Hazelbaker  13) Brentz   14) Jacobs   15) Ramos   16) Lin Red= FA this winter   Blue=ARB 1 of 4 With Drew and Cameron both almost certainly leaving this winter, I'm not sure Theo will be looking to trade "depth", unless they are part of a deal to get a RH'd ML ready OF'er for 2012. While I think Reddick may be higher than Kalish in readiness right now, I think other teams value Kalish higher as trade bait.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]So what do you think of softy's idea of Ells and Lowrie for Kemp or Upton with Kalish or Reddick taking over the leadoff slot?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

"So what do you think of softy's idea of Ells and Lowrie for Kemp or Upton with Kalish or Reddick taking over the leadoff slot?"

Ahhh...Carnie, you can't be serious?  Besides, I don't think of softy...ever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I don't agree with softy often. Kemp or Upton could really blossom in the RS lineup though. If Kalish or Reddick could put up .350+ OBP, I don't think the trade would hurt much. And we really do need a RH OF going forward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"So what do you think of softy's idea of Ells and Lowrie for Kemp or Upton with Kalish or Reddick taking over the leadoff slot?"

1) Softy's a clown and probably never said this.
    2) If we get Kemp or Upton, will Reddick or Kalish play SS so they can leadoff or will Drew be benched?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id rather keep Ellsbury...we got plenty of guys to hit the long ball..Ill take the "skatback"..I think thats what he was referred to as..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Including Ells in any of these scenarios would be insane. Who is Softy anyway? Oh, that's right, saw him at the "Crow Restaurant" yesterday, choking on Dead, Rotten Crow a la Florentine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Redsox Injury Depth...Is trade bait available if needed?:
    [QUOTE]Including Ells in any of these scenarios would be insane. Who is Softy anyway? Oh, that's right, saw him at the "Crow Restaurant" yesterday, choking on Dead, Rotten Crow a la Florentine.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he eats there frequently sin..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

ELLSBURY WILL BE OUR CF UNTIL THE COW JUMPS OVER THE MOON!  MAKES ZERO SENSE TO TRADE HIM!  AND, AT WORST, LOWRIE IS AN EXCELLENT RESERVE INFIELDER, AND VALUABLE!  SO, NO THE TRADE MAKES NO SENSE TO ME!

I WOULD WELCOME A TRADE FOR KERRY WOOD.  HE WOULD BE A BIG HELP, AND KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE YANKS!  BECTON?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sorry, but I don't quite see a RH long term righty outfielder as all that vital.  The Sox don't have a really strong righty bat right now--not Manny, not Bay, and not Beltre--but they lead MLB in runs scored and are probably going to get better.    Youk and Pedroia, both righties and both keys to this team, have been a little down this season, and Youk in particular is not getting a lot of dingers.  Nor, for that matter, is the team best hitter, Adrian Gonzalez. 

I would have brought up Reddick to replace Drew in RF, but that obviously wasn't doable.  Next year, of course, it will be--or Kalish. 

I would not dump Lowrie either.  He isn't hitting that well right now and has 9 errors, but he is almost ideal as the utility infielder--assuming Navarro or Iglesias will start at SS next year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This from softy, the baseball "genius" -- "Crawford should lead off."

Really?

Crawford's OBP for 2011: .280
    Ellsbury's OBP for 2011: .373.

And since he likes changing the goalposts to suit his needs.

Crawford's career OBP: .335.
    Ellsbury's career OBP: .349.

And again to prevent the changing goalposts.

Crawford's career OBP from the leadoff spot: .319 (374 games).
    Ellsbury's career OBP from the leadoff spot: .340 (313 games).

Softy has continually berated Ellsbury as not being a leadoff hitter because of his OBP, but no matter how you cut it, Ellsbury's OBP is better than Crawford's.

It's sad really. 

Softy has reduced himself to be just a caricature of himself. He doesn't even try anymore. Just sad, sad, sad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Kemp and Drew are pretty valuable players. We'd all like to have them but some teams hold on to their stars so much that they will not take any reasonable deal. How about Ethier last year. Everyone wanted him last year. It didn't happen.

Softy just wants to trade Ellsbury and Lowrie period. We all know that. It gets his bad projections off the team and that's the main reason for his constant Ellsbury trade proposals.

Last winter I and others here projected a monster year from Ellsbury and that is exactly what he is doing. He got stronger last year and in the second half of 2009 he was already starting to drive the ball more, get on base more ...etc. It made sense that he would come back strong. Anyone with an objective viewpoint towards him would conclude that last winter, as long as he was finally healthy.

Ellsbury would start in any mlb level outfield in baseball right now, somewhere in the OF. He needs to stay with the Redsox until we get the 2 picks. A guy with his speed and contact rates could even have a .330 year with a .385 OBP. He could have a few years at that level in his career. He is quickly becoming one of the best lead off guys since Rickey! He's playing every game. He could end up putting up huge numbers this year. Close to 50 doubles. Well over 200 hits. I don't see any reason to trade one of the best young studs in baseball when he is at his best.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have wanted McCutchen for a while now. I would try hard to get him.