RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!!

CoolIn Response to RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!!:
    No one should be wearing Number 25 EVER on the Sox! Bobby V should be ashamed of himself!
    Posted by cactusTony

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Agree with carnie, Tony.

I do.

I remember  Tony C. Not a hall of famer, but certainly due some respect as a fan favorite and in 1965 was the youngest player to lead the league in home runs.

True, he only hit 32 that year, but that was a real dead ball era!  And he was the youngest AL player to have reached 100 home runs.

Sad end, too.

Yeah, it surprised me, too, that Bobby V took that number. And no one told him about its signficiance.

So much for institutional memory.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!!:
    No one should be wearing Number 25 EVER on the Sox! Bobby V should be ashamed of himself!
    Posted by cactusTony
      Should Mark Clear, Don Baylor and Jeff Russell be ashamed of themselves, too?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!!:
    In Response to Re: RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!! : you are so wrong.  bobby v played with tony c in 1976 when they were both members of the san diego padres. they formed a friendship and bobby wears the number to honor his friend. it's amazing what you can find on GOOGLE. you should try it sometime.
    Posted by mryazz

Tony C. never played for the Pads. He met his pro demise when rookie phenoms Lynn and Rice necessitated Tony C. getting released in 1975.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In Response to Re: RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!! :  Tony C. never played for the Pads. He met his pro demise when rookie phenoms Lynn and Rice necessitated Tony C. getting released in 1975.
    Posted by NHBALLFAN

"I know 25 is really Tony C's number," said Valentine. "I might have been his last roommate, and I think I was. He was trying to make a little comeback when I was with the Padres and I had such admiration for him."

from ESPN back when Valentine was hired.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!! : "I know 25 is really Tony C's number," said Valentine. "I might have been his last roommate, and I think I was. He was trying to make a little comeback when I was with the Padres and I had such admiration for him." from ESPN back when Valentine was hired.
    Posted by fizsh

Must have been in Spring training, but I never heard of it. Or a regular season tryout that didn't amount to anything. Gives me something to research.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: RedSox Org direspecting Tony Conigliaro!! : Must have been in Spring training, but I never heard of it. Or a regular season tryout that didn't amount to anything. Gives me something to research.....
    Posted by NHBALLFAN

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15576/bobby-v-to-wear-tony-cs-no-25

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from knip. Show knip's posts

As far as I can find out, Tony C never played for the Padres at anytime!  He played one season with the Angels (1971).  He did not play at all from 72 thru 74 (neither majors nor minors).  Went to spring training with the Sox in 75 and started the season with Pawtucket, called up to the Sox after appearing in 36 games for the PawSox, he appeared in 27 games for the Sox before his release in September.  It appears that Valentine was right to say -  "I might have been his last roommate, and I think I was."  As it turns out, nothing I have seen indicates that Tony C tried out with, or played for, the Padres at any time.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm sure you were equally outraged when Mike Lowell wore number 25. ------------------------------------- Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud
    Posted by bellhorn_

Not to mention Don Baylor and Troy O'Leary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's a list of the players who've worn #25 since Tony C.:
    Ken Tatum            
    Stan Williams       
    Orlando Cepeda 
    Steve Renko         
    Mark Clear          
    Don Baylor          
    Larry Parrish        
    Jack Clark           
    Jeff Russell         
    Troy O'Leary        
    Dwight Evans    (Coach)    
    Jeremy Giambi       
    Ellis Burks 
    Adam Hyzdu  
    Mike Lowell

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In a way Tony C gave his life that day... he went through a lot every day thereafter and died much too young. In fact had good fortune prevailed he may have been retiring in 1986 after hitting a game winning Game 7 WS homer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Much ado about nada. Sox fans are always looking for something to gripe about. I am in that same group, but can't get riled up about BV wearing 25. We have more to worry about.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its good to see cactus tony getting smacked around on this useless thread....what tripe...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

its good to see cactus tony getting smacked around on this useless thread....what tripe...
    Posted by georom4

Seriously! I mean, when you and I actually agree on something!

Sections
Shortcuts