Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April?

In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : Every team has a slump; it's some fans that are fickle; heck, even during this 15-3 run (or is it better than that?), you saw the whiners come out after losses.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

It was unbelievable Steve. There was so much negativity and bridge jumpers after a few games?!?! All you had to do was sit back, albeit a bit frustrated, look at whos on the team and their careers so far. I was frustrated like every sox fan, but had my emotions in check and decided to take a logistic approach..
    That made it easy to say "Too much talent to go on like this"...Now here we are in 1st place at the end of july..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnMMWledtZ8
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Harness,

You and the Sheriff cover the moosic for us .... poor Amy ...there's always one in a generation.  "Me and Bobby Magee" ....poor Janis ...

Sox will sing our toon!  "So good, so good, so good"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Um....I think I called that King Felix game.  Not all of us believed what was being presented. :) Great thread, Yaz.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Thx Kim,

We got him this time ...

First time we were looking up from on our backs.  This time we put them on theirs, while looking from the top.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]OMG i could not stay up last night/this morning to watch the game. Im in SHOCK, we lost a game, we are now in a major SLUMP. I think its time we make some changes, this team is toast and going nowhere, our lead is now down to 2 games over the Yanks, I know we are doomed, how could we lose to KC? My summer has been ruined. I digress! 
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

We digress ... this is surely the sign we've been afraid of.  Season's over, like you said.  

We just have to face facts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Although, it is great that we are currently  in 1st place, it was still disappointing to see the Red Sox play so poorly and start the season the way they did.  Especially since they had a similar start last year.  Not sure why, but they have to be better prepared during spring training.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]Although, it is great that we are currently  in 1st place, it was still disappointing to see the Red Sox play so poorly and start the season the way they did.  Especially since they had a similar start last year.  Not sure why, but they have to be better prepared during spring training.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

It is speculation to correlate their poor start in April with the guess that that were not adequately prepared coming out of spring training. It may be true and it might not be true, I don't know. I would value the opinion of someone who was at the Ft. Myers facility on a daily basis and could give year-to-year comparisons as a reference point. Opinions that should not be respected are from Joe Sixpack sitting inhis armchair in Worcester who watched the NCAA March madness instead and just enjoys trolling on the BDC forum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]*  No one gave up, we still watched the games. 

No one gave up?  Not what you said, sir.  Still watched the games doesn't mean you didn't give up.  You are being less than straight forward.

*  IMO if you weren't frustrated in April then you aren't a real fan.  Just my opinion of course and I don't want to say who is a real fan or not. 

Said it was tough and frustrating but DID NOT KNOCK THE TEAM OR PLAYERS, believed in it and them instead.  The discussion over being a fan continues, but the right to be negative was championed then .... and I champion the right to be positive.

*  I said many times they still had a chance but that they gave away the division.  They haven't won the division yet.  I still think they weren't prepared on Opening Day.

You and others completely threw away the idea that we could come back and that it was ridiculous to think otherwise.  You even said you were the one being "realistic" about this and others opposing it were just dreaming.
      You may have said other places that the Sox could come back, but in respondiong to me, you made it clear I was being a fool while you were correct.

*  For those who claim to take the "high road" in July by looking back on comments in April, you would be well-adivsed to wait until October or November to do that. 

If claiming the high road is only valid in November, then turn the thing on its ear and stop being so critical until then as well.
        You want the right to complain and criticize all through the season, each pitch, each at bat ....hell, even every facial expression.  But to say support that guy, support that team is .... only valid at the end.

No sir, I want you and every other doubter, every other realist to know I didn't wait until the end to support ... that I did it all the way through.

Without faultering or finding fault.

If I'm proven wrong, it won't be at the end of a bad start, but at the end of a FULL SEASON.  I'll call 'em as I see 'em, too.  As far as I'm concerned, it's far easier to give in to the dark nature we have within and be negative than face that dark nature and turn it around.

Funny how it's ok to be critical from the start, but absurd to be supportive from the start - and through each peak and valley.

*  No proven lefty in the pen hasn't been too problematic yet.  The playoffs is really when this could be a problem.  Right now, looks like their pen is OK. 
    But we won't know until the end of the season.  If you can spend 170 million but don't spend $ on a bona fide lefty, it seems like a foolish way to allocate your budget. 

It seems foolish to focus on a weak spot as if it is a trumpeting call.  It seems that all one is doing is saying this s ucks, never mind how good the rest of it is.  Negative focus ... always.

*  Kinda sad to spend that kind of time to go back to old posts to the extent you are now to try and beat up on other posters for speaking their minds.  Especially since most posters talk about the game and players.  It's the few that think it is their "role" to try and bash other posters because they don't like what they write - so sad. 

It took me less than 20 seconds to go back to this bookmarked thread and re-post it.  ACTUAL TIME.  Now, it took me about three minutes to edit out most of the linkage material, the routing references, in other words.  But none of the text.  So in 3 and a half minutes of wasted time, I brought this up ... and it's my right to express what I like, too,

Funny how it's only sad when someone disagrees.  If I was agreeing with you it would be just dandy.

What's sad to me is all the bashing of players, manager and FO ... 

As I've said before, they are MY team and I'll go after who ever goes after them, whether Yanqui troll or Red Sox "fan".  I actually have more trouble with the Red Sox "fan" that is overly, constantly, or singularly critical.

-Bold print, SinceYaz's response.

Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Although, it is great that we are currently  in 1st place, it was still disappointing to see the Red Sox play so poorly and start the season the way they did.  Especially since they had a similar start last year.  Not sure why, but they have to be better prepared during spring training.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Susan, 

I'm not going to lie to you and say it was fun being 0-6 and 2-10.  That would be disingenuous.  As a matter of fact I opened the original thread with my confession of being upset.

It isn't whether one is upset or bothered.  It's whether or not you support your team - and they know it - come hell or high water.

It's been a long time ago now, but when I played high school sports or went to my school's sporting events, I never stopped yelling FOR my team.  And I had a HUGE mouth and voice to go with it.  It doesn't mean I didn't listen to the coach when he said, "Clarkie, block out you man better.  Or stop riunning beside your man, get there ahead of him and cut him off. {basketball}  Or don't lose control of your position, don't get pulled in by a sweep going the other way. {Football}"   Coaching is fine, pointing out needs is fine.  I played for morons that thought they had to belittle you to make you play better somehow.  Not successful.  I also played for coaches who taught me the benefit of playing this way or that and showed me their support as I was able to fuse their thought with my action.
       The coach who thought his foot up my butt was guidance  is akin to the bangers and bashers who somehow feel that climbing all over the Sox is a better thing than the coach who taught before hand, taught as we went, and allowed us to believe we could make it instead of being dumb 'tards that were hopeless.

I see ST this way.

They already KNEW who was gonna be the central players in the season.  They were giving others opportunity to make the team and make a difference.  So those odd cards were playing to get a spot.

It took a few weeks for all the new team mates to gell, once the team broke camp.  Why?  Because they had not yet played together ... and one guy was trying so hard that he almost cut off his talent, trying to prove to us he was worthy.

So, instead of playing starters all through ST, they got to know each other as a team playing...

I think even Tito knew there were 162 games to be played and that most likely these pros would get their act together.  Most likely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Just a question but if the Red Sox lose is it not okay to discuss how they lost, and if need be name name's to how they might have lost?  Or is it all rah-rah?

I never jumped ship in April but I see here we have some posters who think it odd one might talk about why and how we lost.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? :
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Amazing....you know everything about everything.  You are the greatest Fan and the most enlightened member of the board.  I hope you feel better about yourself and I hope you said everything you wanted to because that's the last post I'll be reading of yours.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Just a question but if the Red Sox lose is it not okay to discuss how they lost, and if need be name name's to how they might have lost?  Or is it all rah-rah? I never jumped ship in April but I see here we have some posters who think it odd one might talk about why and how we lost.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Reasonable question, Burrito. 

I am reacting to the relentless negativity that some folks bring as well as the level of vitriol attached to a loss or decision. 

For example -

I've posted that I don't agree with Tito 100% - but kind of hesitate because of those who do always bash him.  Several times before I've wondered why he leaves guys in as long as he does.  But in response to that, I've also learned, from posters here, about the need to give the pen a break sometimes, so the starter is sacrificed for the longer term health of the pen.  That's just one example.  Why he had both Cam and DMac in the line up at once...

But I don't see the need to always jump him and be so damning all the time.  He has, in spite of himself (wink,wink) been able to pull off what no other manager in any Red Sox fan's lifetime has done .... win 2 WS Crowns .... (Unless that fan was born in 1912 ...)

And you know as well as I do, there are some fans that never have anything to say unless it's negative.  That's bs.  

You know you and I haven't always agreed, but we've settled some of those issues ... even the right to agree about disagreeing.  

But I'm gonna still take the side of the player (especially if he's injured or recovering from an injury) over the big mouthed know it all with a bad attitude.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]Just a question but if the Red Sox lose is it not okay to discuss how they lost, and if need be name name's to how they might have lost?  Or is it all rah-rah? I never jumped ship in April but I see here we have some posters who think it odd one might talk about why and how we lost.

Burrito my friend, I agree, one should talk about why a team lost and what caused them to lose. Heck I get just as upset as most people. But I dont jump off the bridge after pushing the team off. I think we have seen the losing days of the past and the disappointments together. My problem lies in fans who see the end of a season because of , for example, a bad start to the season. Im madder'n heck that a player missed a sign last night and may have (Key may have) cost them a game. But what my dear friend SY has pointed out was out right quitting on our team. Everyone today has to have instant gratification, we have to win every game or the team or players stink. I remember when I was young (and thats difficult for me these days) I was angry when they lost, but I never gave up. I think the younger sect today looks for an all Allstar team that will win 162 games. Ive got news for them the Yanks of the 20's are not coming back and they were the greatest ever and did not win'em all! What fun would it be to watch a season of games if there was no mystery of whats to come, no pain or anguish to be relieved by a 10 game win streak that brings our hopes back to life? I believe we love baseball because it mimics our lives. Do we quit every time we have a bad spell in life? No, friends (Our teammates) pick us up and carry us to better days, same as our beloved Red Sox do with each other.It's also one thing to talk about what a player or team does wrong, but you have to admit, sometimes people here go overboard in their attempt to trash our players and our team!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : Reasonable question, Burrito.  I am reacting to the relentless negativity that some folks bring as well as the level of vitriol attached to a loss or decision.  For example - I've posted that I don't agree with Tito 100% - but kind of hesitate because of those who do always bash him.  Several times before I've wondered why he leaves guys in as long as he does.  But in response to that, I've also learned, from posters here, about the need to give the pen a break sometimes, so the starter is sacrificed for the longer term health of the pen.  That's just one example.  Why he had both Cam and DMac in the line up at once... But I don't see the need to always jump him and be so damning all the time.  He has, in spite of himself (wink,wink) been able to pull off what no other manager in any Red Sox fan's lifetime has done .... win 2 WS Crowns .... (Unless that fan was born in 1912 ...) And you know as well as I do, there are some fans that never have anything to say unless it's negative.  That's bs.   You know you and I haven't always agreed, but we've settled some of those issues ... even the right to agree about disagreeing.   But I'm gonna still take the side of the player (especially if he's injured or recovering from an injury) over the big mouthed know it all with a bad attitude.      

You ol Dawg you beat me to the punch!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? :

Post of the decade Yaz. You are the man. I wish that I was able to articulate my feelings as well as you do.Your aim in this post was at Andrew but it most certainly applies to many others. Tremendous responses. Hats off to you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Burrito, we get mad at those who are the opposite of rah-rah. We get mad at those who complain and are critical in 9 out of 10 posts. They are obvious. They are never happy unless they are miserable. I agree with many on Drew but is it really necessary to bash him when multitudes of other posters do it everyday like brushing their teeth or combing their hair? What do they bring to the forum when we can guess their act before they utter a word. Why is Softlaw worth reading when you can predict his words? The forum needs some joy and praise of the team once in awhile instead of wall-to-wall negativity. Yes, negativity is rampid on the Internet for some reason but why not recognize it, identify it, and try to counter it. How many have come to this forum and left because it was too negative?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : You ol Dawg you beat me to the punch!
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

I liked your answer, Promise.  I thought it was great.  You  put a nice shine on the apple.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 6/4/2005
    Last: 7/26/2011
    In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? :
    Posted by SinceYaz

Amazing....you know everything about everything.  You are the greatest Fan and the most enlightened member of the board.  I hope you feel better about yourself and I hope you said everything you wanted to because that's the last post I'll be reading of yours.
    Aww, now that's not quite true ....

I have been amazing sometimes, but you have to get some of the credit.  I wouldn't have reacted quite as strongly if you hadn't tried to button hole me when the Sox were 11-15.

I don't know everything about everything.  I'm still dealing with string theory since it was expanded to include M.  I think our physicists are bordering on some form of hoodoo with that, but it is interesting. 
       I also don't handle calculus well ... but then I haven't tried to since the '80s.

I am fanatic.  No doubt.  Best fanatic?  I probably don't spend enough money to qualify for that.  But I am fanatically FOR the Sox ... not just nuts ...

I have and  do spend time on gaining more entlightenment ... ongoing pleasure.

But we are even.  I don't read your posts unless addressed to one of mine. 

If I offered you a cookie, would it help?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : Post of the decade Yaz. You are the man. I wish that I was able to articulate my feelings as well as you do.Your aim in this post was at Andrew but it most certainly applies to many others. Tremendous responses. Hats off to you.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

I'm honored, Echo, even tongue in cheek.  :o)  Andrew wasn't my only target ... he wasn't the only one who said I was a goofy dreamer when I asked every one to relax back when the season started.

It isn't personal, it's the general idea, the principle.  

Your point about Softy in another post is quite true.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : What a thin-skinned wuss. You  were exposed and instead of manning up to it you blame the messenger and put him on IGGY. You really are a sad b*tch.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

He did seem to get a little bent out of shape.  I noticed that.  :o)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : I'm honored, Echo, even tongue in cheek.  :o)  Andrew wasn't my only target ... he wasn't the only one who said I was a goofy dreamer when I asked every one to relax back when the season started. It isn't personal, it's the general idea, the principle.   Your point about Softy in another post is quite true.   

Speakin of GOOFY, momma and I were watching via puter ( Damn what a great invention) on the deck, we spit and shouted together, ( A loving moment which we have shared a few over our Sox) because our hind butts were getting kicked. But we ( as should the Sox) stuck together. Darn and behold while we were doing the dishes these smart fellas from the Sox went and scored 6 runs! Momma's response you might ask," Jerks why do they always wait till im doin the dishes"! Darned if I know, but now she is happy, happy wife, happy home! Guessing its the same for you ol man!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

There's nothing woring with discussing how they lost. It's the overreaction that's ridiculous. A player makes an error that costs a game or strikes out in a key situation and the board is filled with posts on how that player is garbage or something of that sort.

In sports, on any given day -- especially in baseball -- the reason is s siimple as the other team played better. Too many posters see a team with a bad record -- like the Royals -- and think that the Sox should beat them all the time. That's ridiculous and to me, shows a lack of understanding of the nature of baseball.

I'm all for good discussions of the good and the bad but too many poster always have to take things to extreme. And for the record, I criticize posters who take the good to extremes to.

This thread was about the overreaction to the slow start. Andrew's post was clear about how he gave up on the season and it's a bit disingenuous to now say it was just frustration. It's a bald-face LIE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : There's nothing woring with discussing how they lost. It's the overreaction that's ridiculous. A player makes an error that costs a game or strikes out in a key situation and the board is filled with posts on how that player is garbage or something of that sort. In sports, on any given day -- especially in baseball -- the reason is s siimple as the other team played better. Too many posters see a team with a bad record -- like the Royals -- and think that the Sox should beat them all the time. That's ridiculous and to me, shows a lack of understanding of the nature of baseball. I'm all for good discussions of the good and the bad but too many poster always have to take things to extreme. And for the record, I criticize posters who take the good to extremes to. This thread was about the overreaction to the slow start. Andrew's post was clear about how he gave up on the season and it's a bit disingenuous to now say it was just frustration. It's a bald-face LIE.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Amen my friend!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

You think I don't laugh AT the posters who start threads such as "Scutaro is garbage," or "Tito has to go now"?

I barely even bother to open those threads, in fact the Scutaro thread I have not even opened.

promise4you "I don't jump off the bridge after throwing the team off," was very funny. thnaks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : This is the point. There were plenty of defeatist posts like andrewbitch's, and you can't say his was just a worried post. The board was filled posts on how the season was lost and it was time to panic and how the Sox had no chance and .. I could go on. Those weren't worried posts, they were defeatist posts and posters like that deserve to be mocked. Of course no one was saying it was going to be a piece of cake. Anyone who thought it would be a piece of cake before teh season or if the Sox began 10-2 deserve to be mocked too. It's a long season. Certainly there were things to be concerned about but look at all the "Salty experiment is a failure" posts there were. The overreaction after 12-15 games was pathetic and those posters deserve to be mocked all the time.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Actually, Roy, I started a thread on April 16th, the title of which was "5 back with 150 to go ... piece of cake."  I modified the title to "3 back with 141 to go" nine games later.  You posted positive comments on that thread, as did SinceYaz.  And, of course, there was a certain nattering nabob of negativism there, too.  Here's that thread. 

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a519c9ae6-f5db-4afa-956b-6c45b3ddd7af&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:519c9ae6-f5db-4afa-956b-6c45b3ddd7afPost:9322e626-6346-4d6f-9c6e-d26eea5e7914

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Relax Revisited.... Care for a review of the season lost in April? : Actually, Roy, I started a thread on April 16th, the title of which was "5 back with 150 to go ... piece of cake."   I modified the title to "3 back with 141 to go" nine games later.  You posted positive comments on that thread, as did SinceYaz.  And, of course, there was a certain nattering nabob of negativism there, too.  Here's that thread.  http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a519c9ae6-f5db-4afa-956b-6c45b3ddd7af&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:519c9ae6-f5db-4afa-956b-6c45b3ddd7afPost:9322e626-6346-4d6f-9c6e-d26eea5e7914
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

That's true, but I was interpreting the phrase as -- there's no reason to panic being five games back in mid-April, not that it would be easy or a guarantee.

My first post on the thread was:

I was thinking the sme thing earlier. For all the ugliness of a 2-10 start, five games back in August isn't necessarily a big deal, let alone, April.

Of course before we even start thinking playoffs, we need to start winning a few games. Let's get to .500, then I'll start thinking playoffs again.

Sections
Shortcuts