Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time

As noted on here many times, and in a great article in another paper this morning, J.D. Drew needs, should, and probably wants to be released. He looks like he doesn't care, his stats do not warrant playing time ahead of Reddick,
    and he is hurting the potentialy growth of Reddick.

We all remember how long it took for Youkilis to take over Millar's spot, probably two years later than it should.

Looking at the numbers:

At Bats - Reddick  75, Drew 230
    Xtra base hits - Reddick 12, Drew 11
    RBI's - Reddick 18, Drew 22
    HR's - Reddick 4, Drew 4

At one third of the opportunities, Reddick has at much if not more production than Drew.

Put the kid out there everyday. He's not going to be worse than Drew, and it would allow the Red Sox to fill their roster spot with another player or even Lavarnway as a 3rd catcher and righthanded bat.

His contract is essentially up and for both player development purposes and the good of the team, his roster spot is no longer warranted or needed.

It will be interesting to see who is in right field tonight. Francona may delay that decision today by DH'ing Crawford, but the outfield tonight should be:

LF - Crawford
    CF - Ellsbury
    RF - Reddick

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time

In Response to Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time:
    [QUOTE]As noted on here many times, and in a great article in another paper this morning, J.D. Drew needs, should, and probably wants to be released. He looks like he doesn't care, his stats do not warrant playing time ahead of Reddick, and he is hurting the potentialy growth of Reddick. We all remember how long it took for Youkilis to take over Millar's spot, probably two years later than it should. Looking at the numbers: At Bats - Reddick  75, Drew 230 Xtra base hits - Reddick 12, Drew 11 RBI's - Reddick 18, Drew 22 HR's - Reddick 4, Drew 4 At one third of the opportunities, Reddick has at much if not more production than Drew. Put the kid out there everyday. He's not going to be worse than Drew, and it would allow the Red Sox to fill their roster spot with another player or even Lavarnway as a 3rd catcher and righthanded bat. His contract is essentially up and for both player development purposes and the good of the team, his roster spot is no longer warranted or needed. It will be interesting to see who is in right field tonight. Francona may delay that decision today by DH'ing Crawford, but the outfield tonight should be: LF - Crawford CF - Ellsbury RF - Reddick
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Why would you release him until you had someone better?  Benching him certainly makes sense though.  The Red Sox have no one at AAA that could take his place currently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I wonder if Francona would love to bench Drew but Theo won't allow him to do so b/c it would highlight another high-priced Theo blunder?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

DUHH... anout 2 weeks too late! definitely a day too late with craw back. certainly when ortiz returns, its samsonites time for JUST DONE DREW..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time:
    [QUOTE]I wonder if Francona would love to bench Drew but Theo won't allow him to do so b/c it would highlight another high-priced Theo blunder?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I doubt that.  The remaining value of Drew's contract is down to about 5 million.  They released Cameron and Theo took the hit.  I think if they feel it's the right move Drew will be traded or released.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Theo would have to really be forced into it.

How many more black eyes can he take?

Plus, it would make his defending of Drew look really lame and hypocritical - unless he's willing to eat crow and admit that Drew is "Worth a tick LESS than 14 mil a year" ???  That would be good "out" for him........

I just don't think Theo wants to admit he was wrong on this one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]Theo would have to really be forced into it. How many more black eyes can he take? Plus, it would make his defending of Drew look really lame and hypocritical - unless he's willing to eat crow and admit that Drew is "Worth a tick LESS than 14 mil a year" ???  That would be good "out" for him........ I just don't think Theo wants to admit he was wrong on this one.

"how many more black eyes?"

at this point theo looks like a raccoon. when it comes to bad free agent signings, theo is a legend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Theo would have to really be forced into it. How many more black eyes can he take? Plus, it would make his defending of Drew look really lame and hypocritical - unless he's willing to eat crow and admit that Drew is "Worth a tick LESS than 14 mil a year" ???  That would be good "out" for him........ I just don't think Theo wants to admit he was wrong on this one.

Dude Don't you remember when being a Red Sox fan meant that you rooted for a team that may never win a World Series in your lifetime?

Theo can afford a few more black eyes.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Drew has something left in the tank. Might not be premium, might just be regular unleaded, but he has something left.  He was still the AS Game MVP in 2007.  He's got something. The question is: how much of it does he still have and can he use it? 

I think Theo and the Trio believe there is something left. And to release him at such a high cost would also be otherwise embarrassing, IMO.

So he's ours and we gotta deal with it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

J.D. Drew...the most uninspiring ballplayer to ever don a baseball uniform. Watching him at bat you wonder if the team had to talk him into batting. Shows no emotion regardless what the situation is you have to still wonder if he really likes the game of baseball...the team trainer probably has to hold a mirror under his nose to see if he is still breathing. Enough already!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

You're beating a dead horse.  Literally and figuratively. (see today's Globe article by Christopher Muther)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : "how many more black eyes?" at this point theo looks like a raccoon. when it comes to bad free agent signings, theo is a legend.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Yeah this guy is not doing anything this year, but I seem to remember a post-season grand slam that propeled the team (and they were on the brink of elimination) past the Tribe and into another world series win,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]We all remember how long it took for Youkilis to take over Millar's spot, probably two years later than it should. 
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

We all remember what ...?

There was nothing wrong with Millar in 2004 -- 18 HR, 74 RBI, .297 BA, .383 OBP, .857 OPS.

Youk played 72 games that year, none at 1B, and had an OPS of .780.

Millar did decline in 2005, but he wasn't terrible. 9 HR, 50 RBI, but a respectable .272 BA, .355 OPB and .753 OPS. He lost his power and the signs were pointing that the Sox would need a new 1B for the next season.

Youk was still considered the 3B of the future at this time. He was thought to be insurance that year in Mueller's last season in case Mueller had injury-problems like he did the year before.

So now comes 2006 when the Sox new they needed to replace Millar and Mueller, which they did. Until the Lowell acquistion, Youk was headed to 3B. No one was waiting for him to take over for Millar. He turned out to be a fallback solution to 1B when Lowell came on board.

So I'm at a loss at trying to figure where these ''two years too long for Youk to take over for Millar'' are.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : Yeah this guy is not doing anything this year, but I seem to remember a post-season grand slam that propeled the team (and they were on the brink of elimination) past the Tribe and into another world series win,
    Posted by crmn19[/QUOTE]

yeah, that old grand slam. it's like the O.J. glove for drew. his only defense for 5 years of mediocrity. nancy apologists can cry all they want, but, in reality, the drew signing was , for lack of a better word, TERRIBLE!
    theo(raccoon) should have his free agent signing license revoked.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Drew never had much.  Now he's got less.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]Looking at the numbers: At Bats - Reddick  75, Drew 230 Xtra base hits - Reddick 12, Drew 11 RBI's - Reddick 18, Drew 22 HR's - Reddick 4, Drew 4 At one third of the opportunities, Reddick has at much if not more production than Drew. 
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    Yeah but Drew is so good defensively and Reddick ... oh, he's got good D too?  Oh, okay, let's start Reddick.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if Francona would love to bench Drew but Theo won't allow him to do so b/c it would highlight another high-priced Theo blunder?
    Theo constructs the roster. Terry sets the lineup. Then Theo decides how well Terry uses the roster. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

AS Game MVP?  Really?  That justifies his contract (PS that was in 2008 not 2007)

GS in G6 "PROPELLED" the Sox?  Really?  It had nothing to do with Josh or Curt  or Dice K or Okie or Papelbon or the ROY or Youkilis or Manny or David or Mikey? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

did anyone see Riddick play Jones's fly ball into a triple last night? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Summer of 67's comment:

Drew has something left in the tank. Might not be premium, might just be regular unleaded, but he has something left.  He was still the AS Game MVP in 2007.  He's got something. The question is: how much of it does he still have and can he use it? 

What are you basing your "something left in the tank comment on"?  And regarding the All Star game MVP in 2007, that was 4 years ago. Everybody can see what he has.  He'll be gone on July 31.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

From a poster:

Yeah but Drew is so good defensively and Reddick ... oh, he's got good D too?  Oh, okay, let's start Reddick.

Why does everyone have the impression that Drew is still good defensively?  He looks out of shape and slow out there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

As has been discussed around here ad nauseum and (finally) very thoroughly analysed but a few of our local scribes (T. Mazz and Abraham), the last 4 years of Drews career were hardly a blunder.  He makes more $ than he should, but he was a FA and teams rountinely overpay for good FAs in both dollars and years.  If you want to argue that this year, he's worthy of being DFA'd, I'd buy that, but you can't pretend that he hasn't been a pretty good right fielder before this year.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]From a poster: Yeah but Drew is so good defensively and Reddick ... oh, he's got good D too?  Oh, okay, let's start Reddick. Why does everyone have the impression that Drew is still good defensively?  He looks out of shape and slow out there.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]I don't know what you are watching. The guy still gets great jumps, has incredible reads and catches just everything that can be caught.

Now that isn't enough to keep him in the line-up when there is a hot player who isn't a liability on the roster to play RF. But JD Drew still plays an outstanding RF. Perhaps because he does position, read and jumps so well it is harder to notice.

You know I just don't get the blood lust for Drew. Personally I held him no ill will that his game never matched up to RS fans expectations. He frankly was for most of his career in Boston in his 30's a better player than Trot Nixon was in his late 20's. He did not get hurt more than Nixon. Until last year he wasn't as awful versus LH as Trot. He got to balls on both feet in OF that Nixon didn't or had to dive for. But folks loved Trot and have always hated Drew and now can't wait to see him humiliated.

Personally I take no joy in watching a athlete's skills decline and their career end in a bad way. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : I don't know what you are watching. The guy still gets great jumps, has incredible reads and catches just everything that can be caught. Now that isn't enough to keep him in the line-up when there is a hot player who isn't a liability on the roster to play RF. But JD Drew still plays an outstanding RF. Perhaps because he does position, read and jumps so well it is harder to notice. You know I just don't get the blood lust for Drew. Personally I held him no ill will that his game never matched up to RS fans expectations. He frankly was for most of his career in Boston in his 30's a better player than Trot Nixon was in his late 20's. He did not get hurt more than Nixon. Until last year he wasn't as awful versus LH as Trot. He got to balls on both feet in OF that Nixon didn't or had to dive for. But folks loved Trot and have always hated Drew and now can't wait to see him humiliated. Personally I take no joy in watching a athlete's skills decline and their career end in a bad way. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Drew didn't have enough pine tar on his helmet or a dirty enough uni, and he didn't bark at other players.  Too low key for Boston and made a bit too much per year for what he gave.  Overall, a pretty good player and if Reddick can put up JD-like numbers he's the new hero since he's a rookie/home grown. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Shows no emotion regardless what the situation is you have to still wonder if he really likes the game of baseball

Actually, Drew tossed his bat in disgust the other night when he struck out in the 9th inning at Tampa Bay. I think he may have even mouthed an expletive! I was pleasantly surprised.

I see no reason to jettison Drew. He's still a capable defensive player and his contract will expire soon enough; in a little over a month, the roster expands to 40 and he can be burried deep on the bench.

Sections
Shortcuts