Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time

In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : As has been discussed around here ad nauseum and (finally) very thoroughly analysed but a few of our local scribes (T. Mazz and Abraham), the last 4 years of Drews career were hardly a blunder.  He makes more $ than he should, but he was a FA and teams rountinely overpay for good FAs in both dollars and years.  If you want to argue that this year, he's worthy of being DFA'd, I'd buy that, but you can't pretend that he hasn't been a pretty good right fielder before this year.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

P. ABRAHAM is a theo boot-licker.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He's been a good for 4 years?

I gave my summazation on another thread but

*  2007 he was a terrible - 270/11/64 ???

*  2008 - he had a great month (June) and did well is Post Season (Oct) but he was often out of the line up and his OPS # was padded due to low PA's and high BB's

*  2009 - he was a bust all year until Sept; his OPS was decent b/c of Sept and once again, due to the BB's albeit he did have over 20 HR's Finally

*  2010 - Total Bust

*  2011 - Worst Year of his career

I just don't know how, under any stretch of the imagination, can one claim that 4 out of 5 years were good for Drew......If I give him every possible break that I can, I could concede that 2 out of 5 years were good but 3 out of 5 years were poor. 

Remember, consistency counts and averages do not measure consistency......

Hinsight being 20/20, a 3 year/$27 million dollar deal would have been much more appropriate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]He's been a good for 4 years? I gave my summazation on another thread but *  2007 he was a terrible - 270/11/64 ??? *  2008 - he had a great month (June) and did well is Post Season (Oct) but he was often out of the line up and his OPS # was padded due to low PA's and high BB's *  2009 - he was a bust all year until Sept; his OPS was decent b/c of Sept and once again, due to the BB's albeit he did have over 20 HR's Finally *  2010 - Total Bust *  2011 - Worst Year of his career I just don't know how, under any stretch of the imagination, can one claim that 4 out of 5 years were good for Drew...... Remember, consistency counts and averages do not measure consistency......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Clearly you think that BA, HR and RBI are the measures that tell the whole story on JD's production, plus ignore the fact that he's been a pretty good defensive player. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : P. ABRAHAM is a theo boot-licker.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

It's debateable whether Abraham even likes the Red Sox, never mind Theo.  You do realize he covered the Yanks for a living for more than a decade?  I've found him to be pretty objective, along with Mazz, and they aren't the only two guys who agree that JD was good but overpaid.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : Clearly you think that BA, HR and RBI are the measures that tell the whole story on JD's production, plus ignore the fact that he's been a pretty good defensive player. 
    He is an good defensive outfielder ...no Gold gloves....doesnt make up for his weak offensive performance

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

"He'll be gone on July 31."

We shall see, said the blind carpenter...

I think he will be staying - coming off the bench or spelling D-Mac occasionally against righties - unless Theo makes a deal at the deadline, which I do not think will happen.  He's gonna retire. He is not playing like it's a contract year - it's his walk year. Nonethless, he is ours until the season ends.

...as he picked up his hammer and saw.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Nope, BA/HR/RBI are only part of the story

Averages don't measure consistency....A high BA doesn't necessarily mean the guy is consistent.  However, a low BA means the guy didn't even have a hot streak.  Drew is the latter of course.

One can be productive w/o hitting HR's.  Conversly, one can also be productive w/o a ton of RBI.  Drew offers neither.

Gotta look at the whole picture I agree.  And not just stats but watch the games. 

And let us never forget that he was brought on board to be a #5 hitter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Nope, BA/HR/RBI are only part of the story Averages don't measure consistency....A high BA doesn't necessarily mean the guy is consistent.  However, a low BA means the guy didn't even have a hot streak.  Drew is the latter of course. One can be productive w/o hitting HR's.  Conversly, one can also be productive w/o a ton of RBI.  Drew offers neither.

Let's look at the simple metric of 'runs produced', which is runs scored + RBI - home runs.

For the 4 year period 2007-2010 Drew had 504 runs produced in 525 games (316 runs + 284 RBI - 76 HR).  That's an average of .96 runs produced per game.

Some comparative players' runs produced averages for their careers:

Pedroia 1.04
    VMart 1.01
    Damon 1.05

When you factor in Drew's runs scored, which are increased by his high OBP, he was a reasonably productive player for that 4 year period.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

There are liars there are damn liars and there are statisticians

Drew ain't in any of their leagues

Drew is paid much more than those guys

W/ the exception of VMart, Drew is expected to be a run producer

How many standard deviations is .96 from 1.05?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Nice play Drew - way to time the catch and the throw - NOT!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tea8D4MAsX8

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sure, if a 320 OBP equates to "getting on base" then I withdraw my complaint about Drew - play on!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

Since JD Drew has made it this far - there is no way the Sox will just release him.  I mean remember, just last year Theo was saying on the "Big-O-Show" he'd compare Drew's production favorably with the most productive player's at his position, essentially justifying Drew's bogus salary. In other words, don't expect any "Mike-Cameron" like speeches, in which Theo admits, "I made a mistake, this one is all on me."

In hindsight, the only reason Theo came clean and admitted this blunder was because, he was ordered to do so by Red Sox' owner John Henry.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Since JD Drew has made it this far - there is no way the Sox will just release him.  I mean remember, just last year Theo was saying on the "Big-O-Show" he'd compare Drew's production favorably with the most productive player's at his position, essentially justifying Drew's bogus salary. In other words, don't expect any "Mike-Cameron" like speeches, in which Theo admits, "I made a mistake, this one is all on me." In hindsight, the only reason Theo came clean and admitted this blunder was because, he was ordered to do so by Red Sox' owner John Henry.
    Posted by DaPrince77[/QUOTE]

Fun dreaming up this stuff, isn't it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Renteria, Clement, Lugo, Lackey, Cameron - Theo just cannot afford to add another large budget blunder to hit the list.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Renteria, Clement, Lugo, Lackey, Cameron - Theo just cannot afford to add another large budget blunder to hit the list.......

If Theo only knew that Clement would take one off the head...your nonsense never ends.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : It's debateable whether Abraham even like the Red Sox, never mind Theo.  You do realize he covered the Yanks for a living for more than a decade?  I've found him to be pretty objective, along with Mazz, and they aren't the only two guys who agree that JD was good but overpaid.   

Only Theo and those who have a man crush on spaced-aged stats think Drew isn't over-paid........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : Only Theo and those who have a man crush on spaced-aged stats think Drew isn't over-paid........

He was overpaid, I'd agree.  But he fit a need and he was a FA, which usually means as a player you're gonna cash in.  He fit just what Theo and the FO were looking for, and he took over for a guy that was universally respected (Nixon), which is never an easy thing to do. 

A lot of people expected more sizzle for the money he was paid.  I think even most of his detractors would admit the gripe is not so much about his production but rather the perception that he should be a superstar based on his contract.  He was overpaid because he fit a need and because he does some things that this particular front office values.   

There will be a new JD Drew-type player to take the mantle when JD is gone.  Lackey is the front runner and Carl Crawford better seriously pick it up or he and his contract will be talked about for the next six years.  If there's one thing Boston fans hate, especially Sox fans, is the guy not earning his paycheck in their eyes. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02flhri. Show 02flhri's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if Francona would love to bench Drew but Theo won't allow him to do so b/c it would highlight another high-priced Theo blunder?

Theo is not afraid to admit a mistake, and move on, when necessary (see Lugo, Renteria, & Smoltz, to name just 3).  When Ortiz comes back from his suspension Friday, Reddick will be in right field, where he will stay until his hot streak ends.  We're not dealing with Dan Duquette or Haywood Sullivan, here....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : If Theo only knew that Clement would take one off the head...your nonsense never ends.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

and you being a theo apologist never ends.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : Theo is not afraid to admit a mistake, and move on, when necessary (see Lugo, Renteria, & Smoltz, to name just 3).  When Ortiz comes back from his suspension Friday, Reddick will be in right field, where he will stay until his hot streak ends.  We're not dealing with Dan Duquette or Haywood Sullivan, here....
    Posted by 02flhri[/QUOTE]

actually, theo will have to apologize for the crawford deal somewhere down the road. that signing will make the NANCY BLUNDER look small.

"theo raccoon went into his room
     only to find gideon's bible."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Release J.D. Drew Once and For All- It's Time : and you being a theo apologist never ends.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

nice one!

I didn't see the response for obvious reasons but now that I do, how can anyone claim that Clement's career ended b/c of the header he took?  He actually pitched again including the following season when he was about as good as John Lackey - that's why his career ended.  But even still, there is always Renteria and Drew and Lugo etc........

And yes, Crawford is gonna look like a bad signing.  I wanted him on my team.  But not at that price.  I was willing to go 6/100 - 7/145 is just reckless.  Crawford is being paid for his 2010 season which was by far a career year plus he's gonna keep on geting older of course......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Hey Drew is in his last year of his contract.  Let him finish the season.  He still play hard as an OF defender.  How often we all whine about his lack of his effort playing in the OF?  I do not ever saw a thread about it.  All you guys do is whine about his hitting.   Since I saw a post message saying that Reddick misplayed a fly ball in the OF last nite or two nite ago saying he gave up a triple.  That is why Tito isnt ready to tell Theo to get rid of Drew cuz of Reddick isnt ready to be a every day MLB player especially to be a every day RF.  

Since we all have never heard that Drew complaining about being a bench player, then we shouldnt complain about it.   

Dont be surprise that Drew may come back to Boston next year as a back up OF for a low one year contract!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

For the record, Reddick's misplay occured in Centerfield; he will see very rare time there.  That's why keeping MacD over Drew makes more sense b/c McD can back up Jake in CF; no one else on the roster really can.

You see, Drew is a platoon guy right now.  Given Francona feels the needs to carry 7 relivers, we only have 4 spots on the bench.  1 has to go to B/U Catcher.  1 has to go to a MIF.  That's 2 spots left.  Do you want to give half of your roster up to a guy who can only play ONE position (and a position that several other guys on your roster can play) and can only "hit" against RHP's?  "Hit" is in quotes of course for obvious reasons.  It was bad enough when Theo felt compelled to use a roster spot on Casey Kotchman and Seasn Casey  - - - you just can not give a bench spot to ONE dimensional player.  It's plan foolish.  That's why it's time to end the madness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Given Francona feels the needs to carry 7 relivers, we only have 4 spots on the bench.  1 has to go to B/U Catcher.  1 has to go to a MIF.  That's 2 spots left.

That's the standard bullpen/bench configuration for most MLB teams, isn't it?  You seem to be implying that Francona is using one too many spots for the pen...or maybe I'm reading too much into your comment.

Sections
Shortcuts