Release Mike Napoli!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Release Mike Napoli!

How do all his bonuses add up? What's the max he could make this year?

One of the things I like about our team this year is the quickness and speed some of our players possess. When you have several players with a workable BA, that also know how to lay down an effective bunt for a hit, it gives your offense an important look and a certain protection against batting slumps.

Players with quick reaction times and good speed can learn the art of base stealing. Batting in front of Papi, they can open up first base and force an intentional walk.

If they dribble a grounder they are much less likely to be involved in the back end of the double play. Vics great athletic speed is a huge boost to the defense, as with the ninth inning catch I was there to witness Sunday.

Naps has been a great bargain this year even with his June swoon, but if the big stick is your only role in the club, it's a problem when that goes bye-bye.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Napoli's career OPS

1st half: .822

2nd half: .909

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Just kidding about the OP, but......

Mike Napoli has fallen off a cliff over the last month. His last HR was on June 1 (in case anyone can't remember-I couldn't) and for the month of June he has hit .239/.591. In fact, looking farther back, since he hit two HR in a game on May 1 he has these numbers: .246/.682. Thats nearly two months of stinking. Watching him it does not seem that he is driving the ball with the same authority as he was from the beginning of the season until May 1 (.287/.944). I wonder if he is hurt. He is far below his career production of .259/.854, especially when you consider he is playing half his games at Fenway park.

Glad he's only one year.....Remember the old he kills the ball at Fenway thing? Well he did and now doesn't.Good thing we don't have 3 years of this....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just kidding about the OP, but......

Mike Napoli has fallen off a cliff over the last month. His last HR was on June 1 (in case anyone can't remember-I couldn't) and for the month of June he has hit .239/.591. In fact, looking farther back, since he hit two HR in a game on May 1 he has these numbers: .246/.682. Thats nearly two months of stinking. Watching him it does not seem that he is driving the ball with the same authority as he was from the beginning of the season until May 1 (.287/.944). I wonder if he is hurt. He is far below his career production of .259/.854, especially when you consider he is playing half his games at Fenway park.

Glad he's only one year.....Remember the old he kills the ball at Fenway thing? Well he did and now doesn't.Good thing we don't have 3 years of this....

[/QUOTE]

Napoli is a notorious second half streaky hitter. If he is not injured then I would expect him to pick it up again after the ASB. I can't see him continue with an OPS below .600-or below .750 for that matter, again, unless he is injured. I am not ready to give up on him just yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

streaky hitters. Wade Boggs, George Brett, Tony Gwynn, Barry Bonds..special hitters...rarely got into slumps and if they did they didn't last longer than a week. Most hitters are streaky. Most hitters go over their heads and have a monster month or two, and then have a nose dive. Middlebrooks hit 3 homers in a game, and he never was the same after.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

streaky hitters. Wade Boggs, George Brett, Tony Gwynn, Barry Bonds..special hitters...rarely got into slumps and if they did they didn't last longer than a week. Most hitters are streaky. Most hitters go over their heads and have a monster month or two, and then have a nose dive. Middlebrooks hit 3 homers in a game, and he never was the same after.

His overall numbers are not bad: .261/.782, but he has been terrible for a month. Last year his OPS was .812 and for his career he is at .854. I do not expect his final OPS to be below .800. You cannot compare an 8 year veteran to WMB-who was essentially an unproven rookie this year. No one knew what they would really get out of him; Napoli is a proven power hitter with a track record.

All hitters are streaky to an extent. To achieve an OPS of >.800 Napoli will get hot again. All this assumes he is not injured in which case all bets are off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

he is being paid a pittance so the team has done well there...but long term trends are troubling...I say teach Middlebrooks first base

As always - 100% correct!

why so the Sox can have an even worst hitter at that position?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

How do all his bonuses add up? What's the max he could make this year?

Napoli's contract is actually pretty simple, I think.  If he stays completely healthy he gets $13 million.  If he misses a certain amount of time because of his hip condition, he only gets $5 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

So how many games does he play to get the 13m?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

So how many games does he play to get the 13m?

According to Cot's Baseball Contracts:

Mike Napoli c
    1 year/$5M (2013)

• 1 year/$5M (2013)
      • signed by Boston as a free agent 1/17/13
      • may earn additional $8M in roster and performance bonuses:
        • full $8M with 165 days on active roster, or
        • $0.5M each for 30, 60, 90, 120 days on active roster and 300, 325, 350, 375 plate appearances. $1M each for 400, 475, 550, 625 PAs

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/boston-red-sox/