Release Mike Napoli!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Release Mike Napoli!

Just kidding about the OP, but......

Mike Napoli has fallen off a cliff over the last month. His last HR was on June 1 (in case anyone can't remember-I couldn't) and for the month of June he has hit .239/.591. In fact, looking farther back, since he hit two HR in a game on May 1 he has these numbers: .246/.682. Thats nearly two months of stinking. Watching him it does not seem that he is driving the ball with the same authority as he was from the beginning of the season until May 1 (.287/.944). I wonder if he is hurt. He is far below his career production of .259/.854, especially when you consider he is playing half his games at Fenway park.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Release Mike Napoli!

He's probably in a slump.

As I try to explain to you once in a while, always fruitless, the .944 was a mirage.  He had a 40/7 K/W to go with the .944.  The OPS will always come to reflect the K/W.  Think of the K/W as a leading indicator.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Ohhh man... You had me horribly dissapointed in you with the title Surprised  Glad to see that was tongue in cheek.

As for Napoli.  He has dropped off.  I am hoping it is just a slump, and that he will bounce back, because he was one of the main cogs on what got this team started so strongly.  The good thing is, as seems to happen this year, that the rest of the team has kept chugging along, and spared the Sox any dissapointment from his slowdown.  Is it injury?  Not sure.  It could be.  As with Lackey, I think when these guys get caught in worrying about their health and future, they tend to try to play it off, or just play through injuries, because..  Well...  I expect anyway...  They feel that if they get injured, with that view of them being out there, that they are done, or at best marginalized, in the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Fwiw he's being paid 3.9 mil for one year and may knock in 100 RBI's....for a team that doesn't seem o be struggling offensively I'm not really worried about what Napoli does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Most of Napoli's homers and RBIs came early in the season.. His production has dropped considerably of late, as his strikeouts have grown.  It looks to me that his bat speed is not what it was.  There is no way that he should be released, but he maybe should be dropped in the order a bit. And , he should be platooned with Carp, especially against the better righthanders.  I am still hoping that Middlebrooks can come back and be the right handed power bat that we need.

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

He's probably in a slump.

As I try to explain to you once in a while, always fruitless, the .944 was a mirage.  He had a 40/7 K/W to go with the .944.  The OPS will always come to reflect the K/W.  Think of the K/W as a leading indicator.

Its fruitless because you are trying to explain to me something that I already know most of the time. And I am not disagreeing with you that the K/BB is an important reason that his OPS is falling. I am looking at this in a deeper way than you do however: what is the REASON for the decline in his numbers? Bat speed? Injury? One of your problems is that you think that you are one of the few folks here who are savvy about baseball. That is arrogant and simply not true. However, this thread is not about you, its about the possible reason(s) that Napoli has fallen off a cliff over the past two months. I assumed that he would produce at least at the level of his career numbers, maybe more due to the Fenway effect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he is being paid a pittance so the team has done well there...but long term trends are troubling...I say teach Middlebrooks first base

As always - 100% correct!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

he is being paid a pittance so the team has done well there...but long term trends are troubling...I say teach Middlebrooks first base

Middlebrooks is going to be at Pawtucket for a long time. Napoli is a middle of the lineup guy that we are going to need as the season progresses. Its troubling that he has been so bad for so long. His career numbers are much better than this. Maybe its just a long slump, but if it goes on for another month or so I have to suspect its something else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Middlebrooks is going to be at Pawtucket for a long time. Napoli is a middle of the lineup guy that we are going to need as the season progresses. Its troubling that he has been so bad for so long. His career numbers are much better than this. Maybe its just a long slump, but if it goes on for another month or so I have to suspect its something else.

Really? I wouldn't be surprised if he is back up around August 1st.  But I suspect napoli will break out of his slum as well.  Napoli can bat 4 5 on some teams but he's not a true first division starter.  Ideally you have a guy like him batting 5th 6th.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Look, I appreciate what Naps has done as much as anybody, but if this goes on for another month there have to be some changes made!  You can only say, "He's going to..." for so long!

At first I thought my perception that he wasn't hitting well and striking out more was because he'd set the bar so high during the first month of the season.  They I realized that he's just not hitting!

As I've said before, I hope that while Middy is in Pawtucket they give him a 1st baseman's mitt and tell him to learn how to use it.  They may want him there, either before this season is over or next year.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him go 5-5 on Tuesday night and have a BA >.400 and an OPS > 1.00 (figuratively speaking) for the rest of the season, but in case he doesn't we need a Plan B. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Really? I wouldn't be surprised if he is back up around August 1st

To me thats a long time, but I could see him coming back then too. IF he produces and corrects his swing at Pawtucket. IMO he has to learn to just make solid contact and not try for a HR with every swing and to go up the middle and to RF more. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Most of Napoli's homers and RBIs came early in the season.. His production has dropped considerably of late, as his strikeouts have grown.  It looks to me that his bat speed is not what it was.  There is no way that he should be released, but he maybe should be dropped in the order a bit. And , he should be platooned with Carp, especially against the better righthanders.  I am still hoping that Middlebrooks can come back and be the right handed power bat that we need.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Carp is a pretty good s/t solution.  I think the best way to get a guy out of a slump is to give him as many good matchups as possible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

2 years ago for Texas, he was the best hitter in MLB after the All-Star break. He was hitting terrible, then he went on fire all the way to the World Series. Hopefully history will repeat.

The 2011 season he batted .443 for July, .304 August, .429 Sept.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Not sure if it's correct but someone posted in an article in the Sports Section the Napoli has a career OPS of .909 after the All-Star break. Prolonged slumps in MLB are not unusual. Hopefully Naps will snap out of it.  

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

One of your problems is that you think that you are one of the few folks here who are savvy about baseball. 

Not really.  There are plenty of people as savvy as me in here.  I just happen to be less biased in my analysis than you are, and therefore more open to the various nuances that might affect a player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It would seem the way to go.  With Bogaerts knocking on the door, and Cecchini not too far behind, and us not having too much at the top levels at 1B, it would seem like a good fit, though we should keep our minds open for a trade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Cross your fingers, basically, and hope he's like Bay in 2009.  Bay had 2 great months, then 2 horrible months, then 2 more great months.  Then we can all say 'that's baseball, folks!'.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Matter of fact, in July of 2009, when Bay was in the worst of his slump and waving feebly at outside breaking pitches, I remember some murmurs about trading him.

He ended up with a .921 OPS, 36 HR and 119 RBI. Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Some points. To say he's been stinking for two months is an overstatement. He hit four home runs in April and four home runs in May so that is fine (even if the May homers were early). And after hitting 13 doubles in April (a 78-double pace), he came back to earth with seven doubles in May, which is an excellent number (a 42-doubles pace). So overall, I have no problem with his numbers for May even if his RBIs were down a bit.

Napoli drove in 13 runs in May, but after driving in 27 in May, it was a bit of a market correction. I want my middle-of-the-order bats to drive in 15-plus each month, which is 90-plus pace for the season. So he was only off a couple of RBIs in May.

June is interesting. The bad is the power outage -- 1 HR, 1 double. The one double is more alarming than the one home run. But at least his bat didn't go completely cold. He hit .263 in June, which is respectable and drove in 14, which is OK too (I'd rather 15 as I said, so he's off by one). And his OBP was .352, which is very good. Of course his job his to drive the ball and drive in runs, but if a power/run-producing guy is slumping, at least he's getting on base.

The problem with platooning him more with Carp is that you can't do it neatly. Napoli's BA and OBP are about even against lefties and righties. But his slugging is a lot better against right-handed pitchers than left-handers, so it makes not sense to hit him against lefties and Carp against righties.

Hopefully, he's not hiding an injury and it's just a slump, and he'll heat up again. The Sox were 17-11 in June with his power outage, so to me that's great. Hopefully, he'll heat up to pick up the slack in case someone else gets cold.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

One of your problems is that you think that you are one of the few folks here who are savvy about baseball. 

Not really.  There are plenty of people as savvy as me in here.  I just happen to be less biased in my analysis than you are, and therefore more open to the various nuances that might affect a player.

Not to pick sides here, everyone knows I disagree with Pumpsie-Green a ton, but you can't see how that last post could come off arrogant to a person you disagree with?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I wouldn't be too sure about Middlebrooks - he's hit safely in every game at Pawtucket, and he hit 2 HRs yesterday.  

Napoli has always been streaky, but he usually finishes the year strong.  I'd rather have a guy struggle in July than October.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Napoli should hit against lefties and Carp against righties but really how is anyone worried about this so far it hasn't been a problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Keep in mind Nap is there for Ortiz--to get him good pitches to hit--if he stays in the .250-.260 range--even if he strikes out 50 % of the time he's a threat. I would like to see him make more contact and drive the ball to R Center; he's a strong guy. We've scored many runs without homeruns  of late; keep the line moving.

I would like to see a little more of Carp and a little more of Lavarnway and while Drew is out, more of Snyder.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm no Napoli fan, but am definitely a Farrell fan because he sure seems to know what he is doing.  And by and large he has kept Ellsbury in the leadoff, Pedroia at #3, Ortiz at #4, and Naploli at #5.  When Ortiz is intentionally walked to get to Napoli, Napoli has a very high OPS. 

His career stats say his OPS is below average for him, and his strikeouts are definitely up.  But his rbi's are headed toward 100 for the season and he has never come close to doing that before.  Plus he is still getting used to playing just about every single day.  moonslav says he is consistently better in the 2d half.   So the preponderance of evidence is to keep him at #5. 

I do think it's possible Farrell will drop him down in the lineup if the slump continues, but why should he do that now when the Sox have the best offense in MLB? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Although Naps isn't hitting as well as we'd like - and striking out more - there are two things that he's still doing well.  He's still getting enough respect to be good protection for Papi, and he's doing a great job of running up pitch counts.  I'm hoping Moon is right and the offense returns when the warmer weather comes.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Sections
Shortcuts