Remember Ryan Howard?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Remember Ryan Howard?

For those complaining about Papi choosing to take it slowly with his achilles issue, remember that Howard was lost for a long time with his injury.  

Papi has run his mouth a bit with less-than endearing comments, but I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to take this injury slowly and carefully.

Yes, the Sox offense needs his bat.  But if it hurts to run, he does no good.  I am sure the risk for real damage is high, especially when hitters have to go from a stand still to a full-out sprint each time they bat.  Howard hurt his achilles just running to first base!

And, no, I am not a pink hat just for thinking this.  Some injuries are harder to get past than others.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Remember Ryan Howard?

Ortiz probably won't play much for the remainder of the season.  It doesn't make sense for him to risk further injury. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In Response to Re: Remember Ryan Howard?:
    [QUOTE]Ortiz should shut himself down and call the Yankees. Yes, if Ortiz passes the physical, even with A-Rod, the Yankees will have interest in a one year contract for the player who his owned them.  It's hard being the only Red Sox player who produces at a high level every year, but is unpopular in a racist town.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

missing way too many games for having a sore foot. If it was really that injured he would have had surgury by now. Not worth the 15m he is being paid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Remember Ryan Howard? : missing way too many games for having a sore foot. If it was really that injured he would have had surgury by now. Not worth the 15m he is being paid.
    Posted by stillallbost08[/QUOTE]

Calling it "a sore foot" serves to decrease the severity of this injury.  It is not just a sore foot, or he wouldn't be wearing the boot and working out in pool, etc.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I think teams should provide links to every athlete's medical records, including MRI's, x-rays, and course of treatment.  Then the fans can really make decisions about their team's employees, as well as sound intelligent when second-guessing trained medical professionals, as well as the the heart of a player.

Also, many people have lambasted Pedey for coming back from his injuries too soon and stinking up the joint.  Do the Sox really need a gimpy Papi?  He would only help if he hits it out. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]Ortiz should shut himself down and call the Yankees. Yes, if Ortiz passes the physical, even with A-Rod, the Yankees will have interest in a one year contract for the player who his owned them.  It's hard being the only Red Sox player who produces at a high level every year, but is unpopular in a racist town.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the Yanks would be one of the few teams that could afford him, and would do this.  Wuh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Remember Ryan Howard?:
    [QUOTE]For those complaining about Papi choosing to take it slowly with his achilles issue, remember that Howard was lost for a long time with his injury.   Papi has run his mouth a bit with less-than endearing comments, but I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to take this injury slowly and carefully. Yes, the Sox offense needs his bat.  But if it hurts to run, he does no good.  I am sure the risk for real damage is high, especially when hitters have to go from a stand still to a full-out sprint each time they bat.  Howard hurt his achilles just running to first base! And, no, I am not a pink hat just for thinking this.  Some injuries are harder to get past than others.
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

He should shut himself down for the year, the Red Sox should not offer him arbitration (after learning the lesson in 2012), and let him go elsewhere and sign for a payday from another team that will pay him nothing near what the Red Sox have paid him.

Let another team be strapped by a non-positional player who just creates roster issues.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Remember Ryan Howard? : missing way too many games for having a sore foot. If it was really that injured he would have had surgury by now. Not worth the 15m he is being paid.

Have you ever hurt an achilles? It's a little bit worse than a sore foot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Remember Ryan Howard? : He should shut himself down for the year, the Red Sox should not offer him arbitration (after learning the lesson in 2012), and let him go elsewhere and sign for a payday from another team that will pay him nothing near what the Red Sox have paid him. Let another team be strapped by a non-positional player who just creates roster issues.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

If the Red Sox let Papi walk, they are going to have to spend 20M+ / year to get a #3 or #4 hitter.  That is just what they go for.

We should keep Papi, he's great value even at 14M/yr.  Very cheap for a #3 hitter.  Doesnt matter that he is a DH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

drewski, Ortiz is already making calls about his next stop. I think this whole BV thing has finally soured him, and with him being out as long as he has, he's spending more and more time dealing with the media blitz and the bad aura around the Sox. I think he will pull a Papelbon and take the first offer out of town. The Sox will not be able to replace his offense, and seeing Ciriaco as the DH breaks my heart--and in the 2 spot...just breaks my heart as a fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ortiz should shut himself down and call the Yankees. Yes, if Ortiz passes the physical, even with A-Rod, the Yankees will have interest in a one year contract for the player who his owned them.  It's hard being the only Red Sox player who produces at a high level every year, but is unpopular in a racist town.

Takes one to know one.

This from the clown that called me a racist for offering him 2 yrs with a player option 3rd year making the deal worth about $9M/3 for the luxury tax, but about $27M/2 for Papi, but now he's calling for us to offer him $7-8M.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and since you are one, you certainly know one. 

Playground.

This from the stooge who is talking about a year ago... 

I'm the one starting hundreds of Wake and Vtek threads a year later?

and has to resort to making numbers up. 

Huh?

The same stooge who wanted to pay Wakefield a million when his market value was zero.

Keep up the lies and distortions. St. Peter is watching.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]I think teams should provide links to every athlete's medical records, including MRI's, x-rays, and course of treatment.  Then the fans can really make decisions about their team's employees, as well as sound intelligent when second-guessing trained medical professionals, as well as the the heart of a player. Also, many people have lambasted Pedey for coming back from his injuries too soon and stinking up the joint.  Do the Sox really need a gimpy Papi?  He would only help if he hits it out. 
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

Lol, can't do anything remotely like that. It's called a hipaa violation. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Remember Ryan Howard? : Lol, can't do anything remotely like that. It's called a hipaa violation. 
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know.  I think I personally have a couple dead trees attributed to all the ones I have signed.  Can't we push for a millionaire/entertainer exemption?  jk

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There's no reason for this.  You're basically accusing him of faking the injury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Having been one of the more critical posters of Ortiz, I feel I should weigh in.

I've never said he should be back, never took issue with the rehabbing, or timeframe. ALL I've taken issue with are the exceedingly self-serving comments he feels it's ok to make publicly.

I'm no dummy, I KNOW he doesn't want to jeopardize his FA, and the remaining few years of his career. At the core, I'm mostly ok with that. I am NOT ok, however, with him stating as much and think that's ok. I understand MLB pros are mercs now, but they don't have to rub it in our faces. ESPECIALLY when he's going to talk about how much he loves Boston, and play the "Big Papi" card so freely. Be consistent. All he had to do was keep his mouth shut, that's it. He constantly opens it at reminds people how clueless, ignorant, and unintelligent he can be.