Remember When, and If you can't.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Remember When, and If you can't.........

I remember in 1977 my mother taking me to a day game and I thought I might go deaf with all the "Booooooomer" chants.  It was not long afterward that I had to have tubes in my ears.... and wether that game was truly a factor or not I will never really know... but I will always think so, that is one memory I keep forever.

During the 1978 single play-off game the school rolled the tv sets into the classroom... and when school was out the bus driver played the game on the radio... then of course we got home and Bucky Dent did his best to ruin every New England kid's autumn afternoon.... 

My great-grandfather  out on the faaaarm used to get dissapointed back in the 1970's because the Red Sox game would be canceled due to rain.  Back then in Maine we only had 4 channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS.  Heck if you did not catch the game and you wanted to know who won you had to watch the 6PM news or listen to the radio. The game was truly the only thing on television.

In 2006, the last time I was in Fenway before I left the country, I watched back to back games against the Royals. I stayed at my cousins and walked to the second game (a day game) from the Hill. For the first time in my life I waited outside the ticket window in the morning to get a seat.... ended up with the best seat of my life... Manny hit a solo shot while I was in line getting a dog... Red Sox won that day 1-0.

I have a lot more.  If you cannot tell at least one RS tale that brings a smile or tear you should maybe move on.  If you can.. and you have the nature to be the negative poster its okay with me, it does not make you a non-fan in my book. Don't let the forum police drive you away.

Heck 86 years of drought and constant disappointment - believe me even TWO WSC can't erase that.

Some posters here try to run you off just because; but I know the truth, we are a scarred Nation even though our nation bathes in gold.  However if you cannot provide at least one Golden Memory I would have to say you are here for only one other reason - because you hate.

Go Sox! (the Red ones)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Remember When, and If you can't you might not belong here....

First memory I have was seeing replays of the 1975 game 6 HR by Pudge on wsbk-38 and all the news stations 4, 5, and 7..I was too young to be up to see it live. I have vivid memories of Bucky dent hitting that HR and my uncles saying  "I can believe Bucky Dent hit it..Bucky Fn' Dent!". I was crushed too, although didnt quite understand the full story at that young age, just that the Yankees were the enemy. I idolized Yaz as I was aLH batter too and remember my first game in the RF bleachers..I think the tickets were like 5-10 bucks. Good times..
    My first Bruins memory, while were on the subject, was in 1978 at the old Gahden. section 104 way up top, but with a beautiful view of the whole ice. Bench clearing brawl with the quebec Nordiques.. Wensink, Taz, Jonathan etc..it was awesome..When I was 2 years old, the last time they won the cup, My dad told me that him and all his brothers were watching the game and when they scored, they all jumped up Knocking the table over with all the chinese food that was on in, on top of me..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

WSBK?  Heck we did not get that until early 80's and that is when cable tv required a box with a long cord to change channels.  the other Boston channel we got always showed Creature Creature Double Feature.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Remember When, and If you can't you might not belong here....:
    [QUOTE]I remember in 1977 my mother taking me to a day game and I thought I might go deaf with all the "Booooooomer" chants.  It was not long afterward that I had to have tubes in my ears.... and wether that game was truly a factor or not I will never really know... but I will always think so, that is one memory I keep forever. During the 1978 single play-off game the school rolled the tv sets into the classroom... and when school was out the bus driver played the game on the radio... then of course we got home and Bucky Dent did his best to ruin every New England kid's autumn afternoon....  My great-grandfather  out on the faaaarm used to get dissapointed back in the 1970's because the Red Sox game would be canceled due to rain.  Back then in Maine we only had 4 channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS.  Heck if you did not catch the game and you wanted to know who won you had to watch the 6PM news or listen to the radio. The game was truly the only thing on television. In 2006, the last time I was in Fenway before I left the country, I watched back to back games against the Royals. I stayed at my cousins and walked to the second game (a day game) from the Hill. For the first time in my life I waited outside the ticket window in the morning to get a seat.... ended up with the best seat of my life... Manny hit a solo shot while I was in line getting a dog... Red Sox won that day 1-0. I have a lot more.   If you cannot tell at least one RS tale that brings a smile or tear you should maybe move on.  If you can.. and you have the nature to be the  negative poster its okay with me, it does not make you a non-fan in my book. Don't let the forum police drive you away. Heck 86 years of drought and constant disappointment - believe me even TWO WSC can't erase that. Some posters here try to run you off just because; but I know the truth, we are a scarred Nation even though our nation bathes in gold.  However if you cannot provide at least one Golden Memory I would have to say you are here for only one other reason - because you hate. Go Sox! (the Red ones)
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. I'm sure George Scott was the reason they put tubes in your ears.
    And when they traded Hawk Harrelson, that might explain your lobotomy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It was the constant shouting and "Booomer"ing.... my ears echoed for days... Unlike you I wasn't alive when Hawk was traded... but my great grandfather was.

I was 6 dipstick - fragile ears.  Thanks for giving us your sentimental recollection, perhaps you are one of the ones that doesn't belong here.

Actually it all makes sense, you grew up a Seattle Pilots fan and after they failed you took up being a Sox fan... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

that would be Channel 56. Creature Double Feature was an awesome show. :) I also watched the Red SOx on 38, especially at my grand parents on Sunday.

I can remember Boggs, Dewey, Rice, etc...

one of my favorite memories though is the woman who worked at the local corner store was a cousin of Yaz.

and Bob Tewksbury grew up in the next town over. my brother and sister got to meet him - I never did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

saw the famous B's beatdown of Rangers fans (Milbury with the shoe and McNab choking a fan) on a 12-inch black and white TV on Channel 38 in Boston....My favorite Sox moment...three of them
    1. Derek Lowe 3-2, called K to clinch the ALDS in 2003...most clutch pitch ever delivered in a Sox game in my opinion.
    2. Carl Yastrzemski's home run in the 1975 All-Star Game at Milwaukee. The original broadcast cuts to Yaz coming up as a pinch hitter. He asks the umpire if it's ok to wear his "hat" to the plate (by then everyone was using helmets). He steps in v. Tom Seaver and like the Natural hits a bomb over the CF fence on the first pitch. I don't know how else to completely show what kind of special athlete he was than that particular at bat. It sends chills down my spine when I see it from time to time on MLB channel.
    3. Looie Tiant v. Frank Tanana. Anaheim Stadium. Double 4-hitters, 1975..Got to the game late due to traffic with my dad and brothers. Helmet night, so sellout in Anaheim. Tony Conigliaro struck out PINCH HITTING for Fred Lynn (you know the MVP, ROY of that year)...Tanana won 2-0, 13 Ks, Tiant masterpiece for both sides of the hill. Game took 1 hour, 41 minutes...I think I was there for 1 hour. Got the dogs, watched the last 6 innings, left the park.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i remember taking my younger cousin to a Blue Jays game in the mid-80s and watching jesse barfield throw the ball around the outfield before the game...my cousin pleaded for a ball and jesse heard him and flipped it to him...and the salami DROPPED it....

so my cousin begged him to toss it to him again and he did...and the salami DROPPED it again....

when Jesse picked up the ball my cousin whined for one more chance and Jesse wagged his finger at him - no...basically saying he blew his chances...he then threw the ball into the infield...

I still give him chit about it every time I see him...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ah yes... every time ZillaGod posts here I think of (WSBK-56?) that show.

I remember going to games in the 1993-1996 range and ALWAYS getting a good seat... day games were and are the best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Heck, I remember going to Red Sox games in 1972 when I was 8 and hearing fans boo Yaz. He was my favorite player and I was ready to take on everyone of those morons. Even back then, I had the back of Red Sox players.

That doesn't mean I can't be critical of players or the team, but it's not constant negativity. That's what I laugh at. A poster will come on here and spew venom and negativity in 95 percent of their posts and then say they're not homers, they're just being 'honest.' 

No matter how much a player disappoints, at the basic level, a real fan IMO always roots for all the players to do well because it will help the team win.

I really believe that there are posters on this board who are so invested in their bashing of a player, Drew for example, that if it was the bottom of the ninth inning, the sox trailing 3-0, in the seventh game of the World Series with the bases loaded and a 3-2 pitch, they'd rather see the player strike out so they have more amunition to bash the player rather than the player hitting a grand slam and having to cheer him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

My FIRST real good memories are of listening to Sox west coast games on the radio at night in my bedroom during the 1967 season.  I grew up in NE Connecticut, but we had the '67 series on TV and radio at school that fall (yes, younger fans, the series was played during the day). 

But my BEST memories are of the early 80s, going to Newton to attend Computer school.  You could get bleacher seats, two dogs and a soda or beer, for about the same price as going out to eat at a restaurant.  Dinner and a game, for the price of a movie with popcorn and soda.  Those were the days...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

royf19 fondly hilarious... I can see a youngster being upset over that... good memory to share (or a bad one?)

Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Oh, and don't blame Boomer for the ear tubes.  They were installed to drain the built up fluid that reduced hearing and may also have been causing frequent ear infections.  Many young kids have continuous fluid build up there because their canals have not developed the correct angle (which comes with growth and maturity).  My daughter had tubes and has never been been to a Sox game, with Boomer or not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

as much as everyone basically hated him, I saw carl everett catch a ball in the outfield and gunning down a runner trying to get to third. reminded me of dewey the way he threw a ball and it just stayed straight as an arrow for the longest time. anyway, I was behind the red sox duggout when they came in and I stood up and shouted out to everett. I said "nice arm Carly, nice arm!" and he smiled at me and said "thanks man!" a really great memory.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Remember When, and If you can't you might not belong here....:
    [QUOTE]WSBK?  Heck we did not get that until early 80's and that is when cable tv required a box with a long cord to change channels.  the other Boston channel we got always showed Creature Creature Double Feature.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

yeah. i watched that too right before the games..11am-1pm with my cousins over my grandparents house..that was on wlvi-56..like wsbk, it was a uhf channel..I watched wwwf on 68...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

Nostalgia- nice, very nice. Willie Whistle telling me to get my sox on channel 38, speed racer on 56 and 5 all-night fridays.

My first trip to fenway was an elementary school field trip. Yes, back then we had real field trips not virtual internet type crap. Who remembers Bensons animal farm?

Dont remember much of the game just seeing yaz and Rico, my favorite players(I think wake was just a rookie then).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness will share something positive soon - at the moment he is googling "Childhood memories of a Red Sox fan."  Just curious will he take one all for himself or combine bits of many into one great memory he can call his own.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm9340. Show norm9340's posts

My first game at Fenway Park was in 1953....I had won some coupons for grandstand seats...We ( my Grandfather & I ) sat in the RF grandstand just past the Sox dugout...All I remember was the Sox played the Tigers and won.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I did get to sit in a private box one game - but that was not so special.  I think sitting in centerfield on the end of a row with an empty seat beside me was my favorite seat ever...  

Looks to be Section 42 having just googled it. Perhaps one row above the top of the stairwell.... oh yes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I started watching 2001 (hard to think that was 10 years ago! Jeez that puts me at nine), the later half where Pedro was injured. Then I remember in 2002 Pedro had his 20 win season, mind you I was just a little squirt, and I was all like "Where the hell did this guy come from?" I wasn't very much aware of 1999.

First "Oh god what did I get myself into" moment was in 2003". I still dislike Aaron Boone for it. />:0

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillyKlaus. Show BillyKlaus's posts

I can remember Ted Willams' first at bat following his return from the Korean War. I think it was '53. Flied out to right field, as I recall.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In Response to Re: Remember When, and If you can't you might not belong here....:
    [QUOTE]My first game at Fenway Park was in 1953....I had won some coupons for grandstand seats...We ( my Grandfather & I ) sat in the RF grandstand just past the Sox dugout...All I remember was the Sox played the Tigers and won.
    Posted by norm9340[/QUOTE]

Thats a old one. My fondest memory of being at a game was in 1958, i believe. The Sox were playing the Senators and Washington was killing them. The score was 12-5 Senators with two out in the last of the ninth and can you believe it, the Sox came back and scored 8 runs with two outs to win the game 13-12. Jim Pagliaroni, the catcher hit a grand slam in that memorable inning. It was the greatest comeback I ever witnessed and my fondest memory of a Red Sox game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I have lots but one that comes to mind is a Friday night game in 1978 against the Royals. In those days you knew if you were going to get to the WS you had to get past the NYY in the East and the Royals in the West.

Jim Rice was destroying the AL at that point in what would end up being a MVP season. Whitey Herzog decided to use a shift where Frank White left 2B and became a 4th OFer, way deeper than the Ortiz shift and more to dead center so he could be a rover.

Rice was put out his first couple of times at bat. He then deposited one on the Mass Pike. After the game Herzog mused that there was no shift for that.

I was also there for the Billy Martin  - Reggie Jackson dust up. Loved it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Y'all are old.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Good Memories!