Remembering Freddy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Remembering Freddy

Ryan Braun made Petco Park history last night ...3 HRs and a 3B

Last time it happened in '75 by Freddy Lynn.  

One gets nostalgic ....  WS crowns notwithstanding ....

Met my wife, college soph, Florida scuba diving, old friends, college basketball, ... Freddy and Jim Rice ...

...and a whole lifetime in between ...

Ahh, those were the days ... fortunately, these, too, are the days!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Remembering Freddy

ah yes yaz my friend. the gold dust twins. what a duo those two were. a perfect example of why it suks to get old. people forget what an outfielder freddy was. and jimmy patroled the left field wall as good as anyone.

and also I agree that these too are getting to be pretty good days. let us please continue to keep hittin the snot outta the ball eh yaz! ah good ol fenway cooking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Those 1-0 games have a certain "charm" but when you're slobberknocking the ball, the juices flow a whole lot more!!   :o)

I guess that is one reason it's always been good to be a Sox fan ... always had some good hitting ... home cooking, indeed!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

man, the first time that my dad took me to fenway was back in 1960 at the tender age of 12. I'd idolized #9 since I was about 8. when I played either sandlot or little league I pretended to be him. Ted Williams was and always will be my greatest baseball hero and my main reason for being a red sox fan for ever. when you think about the fact that he flew 3 years of combat in ww2 and then went back and flew combat in korea, the what if's really makes you think that what might have been had he not had fought for his country. him and pesky. God bless them both.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Remember Fred's 1979 ? 333, 39 hr, gg in cf. Just missed hr title to Gorman Thomas and lost rbi lead to Don Baylor. All summer long he was in the Triple Crown hunt.
    Grand slam in all star game, etc. but that magical year of 1975 was the best !
    He and Rice made me Sox for life.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Remembering Freddy:
    [QUOTE]Ryan Braun made Petco Park history last night ...3 HRs and a 3B Last time it happened in '75 by Freddy Lynn.   One gets nostalgic ....  WS crowns notwithstanding .... Met my wife, college soph, Florida scuba diving, old friends, college basketball, ... Freddy and Jim Rice ...  ...and a whole lifetime in between ...       Ahh, those were the days ... fortunately, these, too, are the days!!!
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I remember that game by Lynn 3 HR, 10 RBIs. I was 11 and listening to the game on the radio in bed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

There have been some fine centerfielders that have patrolled Fenway.  But none of them have made it look as good as Fred Lynn did.  Grace under pressure.  I know we will never see an outfield as good at taming that bizarre park like Rice in left, Lynn in center, Evans in right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

speaking of evans space, I used to marvel at how he would throw a laser beam that seemed to just go straight for an eternity and never dipped or dropped. from the deepest part or right field he would throw guys out at not only 3rd but at home as well. what a gun he had for an arm man.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Remembering Freddy:
    [QUOTE]speaking of evans space, I used to marvel at how he would throw a laser beam that seemed to just go straight for an eternity and never dipped or dropped. from the deepest part or right field he would throw guys out at not only 3rd but at home as well. what a gun he had for an arm man.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

oh man hammah.  the vision, etched in my head forever, of dewey gliding effortlessly under a laser to right as if he was in slow-mo, and then firing a bb to the farthest points of the infield like it was a game of soft toss, THAT is the reason I love baseball on a level that transcends sport.  Pure beauty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lynn with Boston pro-rated to 700 PA:

.308  25 104

OBP .383
    Slg   .520
    OPS .902

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Fred Lynn was one of the great ones for sure. I used to like to just watch that guy play the field. It was a crying shame What Sullivan, LeRoux and Jean Yawkey did to that team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]speaking of evans space, I used to marvel at how he would throw a laser beam that seemed to just go straight for an eternity and never dipped or dropped. from the deepest part or right field he would throw guys out at not only 3rd but at home as well. what a gun he had for an arm man.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]
    Exactly! He'd throw a frozen rope that never got above 10 feet in height but would go 300+ feet on a dime.

My favorite Red Sox player ever. He was the reason I started wearing eye black as a kid, which wasn't that easy to find back then. (Sometimes, I used a Crayon).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Remembering Freddy : Exactly! He'd throw a frozen rope that never got above 10 feet in height but would go 300+ feet on a dime. My favorite Red Sox player ever. He was the reason I started wearing eye black as a kid, which wasn't that easy to find back then. (Sometimes, I used a Crayon).
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

haha.  no question lloyd.  nobody made eye black look as good as dewey, or a moutstache for that matter (thats right Selleck, including you).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

there's a great trivia question boys. what did they use for eyeblack back in the old days. I would have said black shoeshine polish but that would be a son of a gun to get off afterwards.

and I know I'm getting off topic but I gotta say that I am really impressed with the defense we got right now. these boys are throwing some serious leather as of late. especially little dustin the dirtdog. kid makes it look so easy doesn't he? all bobby v can do is smile and shake his head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In honor of Braun's 3 HRs, they've renamed the field PEDCO park.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Remembering Freddy : I remember that game by Lynn 3 HR, 10 RBIs. I was 11 and listening to the game on the radio in bed.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Yeah ... I remember that too.  What an amazing game! 

I can remember smiling an awful lot back in those days ... it was a great deal of fun with them ...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]There have been some fine centerfielders that have patrolled Fenway.  But none of them have made it look as good as Fred Lynn did.  Grace under pressure.  I know we will never see an outfield as good at taming that bizarre park like Rice in left, Lynn in center, Evans in right.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space, I think you are right about the total OF...

But I'm afraid to admit that I never appreciated Dewey until a bit after the fact.  I lived in a place that the local papers were truly local.  Huge local coverage and line scores for MLB.   I coulda gotten Sporting News, but those were college days and ... I paid my own ticket.  Thankful I had the work, but this proves I'm an old goat ... Campbell's Tomato Soup ... we bought on sale for 7 cents a can but didn't when it was full priced at 9 cents.     (We - my new wife an I - now that was priceless!!!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In the 3 homer game, Lynn hit the top of the fence in Detroit for the triple, he should have had 4 home runs. Little known fact about Fred is that he once was pinch hit for in a game at Anaheim---by Tony Congliaro. Lynn K'd 3 times v. Tanana.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In the 3 homer game, Lynn hit the top of the fence in Detroit for the triple, he should have had 4 home runs. Little known fact about Fred is that he once was pinch hit for in a game at Anaheim---by Tony Congliaro. Lynn K'd 3 times v. Tanana.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the spice ... adds flavor to the memory!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I became a sox fan largely because of #19.  He was a true 5 tool player and had he stayed here for his entire career it is likely he would now have a plaque in Cooperstown! Few players excited a fanbase like Freddy did in 1975!