Remy set to return to the booth Tuesday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Remy set to return to the booth Tuesday

Jerry Remy says he will return Tuesday

By Chad Finn, Boston.com Columnist

Red Sox television analyst Jerry Remy, out since May 28 because of illness, said he will return to the booth Tuesday, when the Sox play the Colorado Rockies at Fenway Park.

Remy said on a conference call Wednesday afternoon that he was initially absent because of allergies. That turned into pneumonia, and after antibiotics didn't help, he was hospitalized for five days and required an IV.

"The last couple of weeks have been pretty tough,'' said Remy, who was treated for lung cancer in November 2008 and suffered a relapse this April.

He said his doctors gave him clearance to return but didn't want him traveling to Detroit, where the Red Sox begin a four-game series Thursday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Remy set to return to the booth Tuesday

Great news.  Tough battle for Remy.  I don't care what anyone says, he is the voice of the Sox.  I love what Eck brings to the table.  But, as long as Jerry wants it/can do it, he should be the color.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good. One more day of Rice and I was listening to the radio. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Great news.  Tough battle for Remy.  I don't care what anyone says, he is the voice of the Sox.  I love what Eck brings to the table.  But, as long as Jerry wants it/can do it, he should be the color.

Couldn't agree more. Remy's not perfect but what color guy is in baseball who does 162 games a year. You're going to see flaws in any color guy who's on the air for that much. In the end, Remy's joy and passion for the game comes across and that's good enough for me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

in the words of that famous poster Jose Taveras....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

in the words of that famous poster Jose Taveras....

good to hear :-)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

Remy is a class act and as long as he's healthy, thats all that matters.

welcome back.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I doubt anyone will say Remy is not a class act, but the numbers are growing with fans who think his time has passed.

Got a link, or is that another one of your "educated guesses"?

I doubt you're any better at judging public opinion than you are player health and performance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I am sorry he is ill but I think he should take more time off to heal.  The fooling around is tiresome and Orsillo is better when Remy is out.  I like Rice and Eck across from Don.

I don't know what broadcasts you watch but rice has been pretty terrible in the booth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DAD & B-806 send our best to the Rem-Dawg.........  Hope to have him back soooooon !!! >RESPECT

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Rice is indeed terrible in the booth. I like Eckersley. I think he'd be a fine replacement for Remy. Maybe with all of Remy's health issues, it's time to reduce his workload, sort of the way the Celtics rotate between Heinsohn, Scalabrine, and Marshall, saving the older iconic Heinsohn for most home games and relatively near away games (New York, Philadelphia, Washington, etc.), while Scalabrine and Marshall split the rest of the away games.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Jerry should stay in the booth as long as he wants to and as long as he can manage it.  With all of his health matters, he may just die doing it.  Maybe that's the way he wants it.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Jerry does a great job, he and don have great chemistry.  I hope he stays as long as he can but he is one sick puppy. 

As a nurse I saw people lose the battle with cancer because of pneumonia and blot clots.  Cancer isn't always the cause of death.

Of course I'm not saying jerry is dying or pneumonia is going to kill him.  What I am saying is in a man this ill pneumonia is a very serious condition.

Let's all hope and pray that he is with us for a long time. 

When it's time for him to retire I would like eck to do some time in the booth, maybe share it with another color guy.  Maybe bring in some new blood some of the other color guys are pretting boring.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I rarely turn the sound on, so I don't know.  I have listened to Eckersley and think he is pretty good.

However, Remy was a darned good player, really knows the game, and has been this for like 20 years because he is good at it.  That plus the illness make me root for him to return to the booth and stay there another ten years.  He and Orsillo clown around, but that's OK.  The only thing I object to is when the camera shows them talking or talking to visitors while the game is being played.  I want to see shots of the diamond, the ball park, the fans,  the players, whatever--but not people in the booth. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Jerry does a great job, he and don have great chemistry.  I hope he stays as long as he can but he is one sick puppy. 

As a nurse I saw people lose the battle with cancer because of pneumonia and blot clots.  Cancer isn't always the cause of death.

Of course I'm not saying jerry is dying or pneumonia is going to kill him.  What I am saying is in a man this ill pneumonia is a very serious condition.

Let's all hope and pray that he is with us for a long time. 

When it's time for him to retire I would like eck to do some time in the booth, maybe share it with another color guy.  Maybe bring in some new blood some of the other color guys are pretting boring.

If he's on antineoplastic medication plus other medication like prednisone etc., he may be immunocompromised.

Hopefully, he's not on any of those meds and the pneumonia just happened.

Sections
Shortcuts