Renauldo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Renauldo

Do you guy's think that the Sox could bring Renauldo up and see if he could help in the pen like Tampa has done with many of their top prospects.  Just throwing it out there guy's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Renauldo

to tell you the truth..i think matt barnes could do that before ranaudo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How many relief innings have Price, Moore, Shields, Hellickson and Nieman combined for in their entire careers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Ranaudo*

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ranaudo has never pitched above single A, I doubt he will make the jump to the bigs.  Both these guys are top prospects who project as middle of the rotation starter to better....they will spend their time logging innings in the minors and not filling out the Boston bullpen.   Way to aggressive for two top prospects who project to do so well down the road, but arsenals are very raw right now

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

It's much easier to bring up a guy with a 98+ mph (Moore) fastball without having him move up through the ml levels than a guy who is going to be successful only by mixing his pitches and pitching to spots (Ranaudo).  The latter takes time to develop to a level that will succeed in the majors.  a 98 mph fastball cannot be taught, and if it has movement and can be consistently put in the strike zone it will be successful at any level.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Renauldo:
    [QUOTE]It's much easier to bring up a guy with a 98+ mph (Moore) fastball without having him move up through the ml levels than a guy who is going to be successful only by mixing his pitches and pitching to spots (Ranaudo).  The latter takes time to develop to a level that will succeed in the majors.  a 98 mph fastball cannot be taught, and if it has movement and can be consistently put in the strike zone it will be successful at any level.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I'd also add that none of the Rays kids pitched much in the BP.  Between the 5 of them, it's probably about 25 IPs in total., or about 5 each over their career.

In a similar vein to yours, I'd say that if he's slowly being mixed in, the BP is fine.  For a guy like Tazawa, Doubront, etc., if they can contribute out of the BP, and make spot starts, then it sounds like a good idea.

For top prospects, it wouldn't make sense to have a guy burning up his service time doing the same thing a guy like Wheeler can do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

He is simply not ready, hes only had one year of pro ball and has had some control issues and they are still trying to get him to work on secondary pitches.  He has the body and makeup so I have read, but to be a consistent ML starter who can last you need to have command of atleast three pitches. 

You wont see him this year unless its in September, but only if the RS are out of the playoff race.  Barnes will not be seen anywhere near AAA until 2013.  He is a good high ceiling prospect who projects as a middle of the rotation guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We don't have any Moores or Hellicksons or Cobbs in our system right now.

In 2012, we will probably give several young players ample opportunity to earn an important slot on our team:

Doubront
    Tazawa
    Morales
    Bowden
    (Miller)
    ...and maybe some mid or end of season action from:
    Alex Wilson (25) 3 years in minors

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Renauldo : I'd also add that none of the Rays kids pitched much in the BP.  Between the 5 of them, it's probably about 25 IPs in total., or about 5 each over their career. In a similar vein to yours, I'd say that if he's slowly being mixed in, the BP is fine.  For a guy like Tazawa, Doubront, etc., if they can contribute out of the BP, and make spot starts, then it sounds like a good idea. For top prospects, it wouldn't make sense to have a guy burning up his service time doing the same thing a guy like Wheeler can do.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree.  Especially for a team with money, such as the Sox.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]How many relief innings have Price, Moore, Shields, Hellickson and Nieman combined for in their entire careers?

Or Johan Santana and Francisco Liriano?

Oh, wait...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Renauldo : I'd also add that none of the Rays kids pitched much in the BP.  Between the 5 of them, it's probably about 25 IPs in total., or about 5 each over their career. In a similar vein to yours, I'd say that if he's slowly being mixed in, the BP is fine.  For a guy like Tazawa, Doubront, etc., if they can contribute out of the BP, and make spot starts, then it sounds like a good idea. For top prospects, it wouldn't make sense to have a guy burning up his service time doing the same thing a guy like Wheeler can do.

Joe,
    the Rays did have each of them pitch out of the pen after getting a September call up, before they were then moved into the rotation the following spring.

My guess is that Ranaudo and Barnes will probably get a chance in 2013 for a cup of coffee, if they show that they're progressing as planned in 2012. With young pitchers it's about managing their total pitches and innings as they progress and many times they've already reached or are close to that limit when they get called up in September. So pitching out of the pen, allow the manager to limit thier exposure, while giving them a chance to get their feet wet...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What I like about the RS young pitchers is their size. The potential to fill out and increase velocity is what is intriguing to me. While Ranaudo and Briton are touching 95 on the gun, the potential to reach 2-4 additional in the next couple of years is reasonable. Recall Lester 5 years ago and compare his physique now. I have not seen Barnes yet, but his physical size is in the Sox recent draft mode. I am quite sure Theo's draft philosophy had been speed on the gun, projection of physical maturity and that pitching mechanics can be taught. I assume after so many years in the org, that Ben will not stray too far, and will keep that philosophy.

Sections
Shortcuts