Reopening old wounds

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Reopening old wounds

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/transaction-retrospection-the-bailey-reddick-trade.html

Now, did we really need to see this MLBTR?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Reopening old wounds

I am happy to see Josh Reddick to well in Oakland.  He also won a Gold Glove in 2012.

I remember seeing Reddick throw a pie at Billy Beane's face after the A's swept the Rangers and won the AL West.  If I threw a pie at my employer, then he would not only fire me, but also not sponsor my visa.  LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I am happy to see Josh Reddick to well in Oakland.  He also won a Gold Glove in 2012.

I remember seeing Reddick throw a pie at Billy Beane's face after the A's swept the Rangers and won the AL West.  If I threw a pie at my employer, then he would not only fire me, but also not sponsor my visa.  LOL

What really surprised me, and I had no idea about, was Miles Head. Sounds like he may be the real deal although they may need to make him a 1B or OFer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I see this as one of the many shock waves of the ill-fated Bard-to-the-rotation experiment. Imagine if Bard stayed in the bullpen (either as the new closer or setup man to Papelbon...who I think in hindsight we may decide it would have been worth it to pay):

-Most obviously, Bard stays in a relief role, where he belongs and where he had excelled before;

-Instead of becoming a 5-plus ERA closer and spending the season fuming, Aceves probably wins a rotation spot out of spring training; he's happier, and we finally get to see what he can do as a starter. Certainly he couldn't do any worse than Bard did;

-The Bailey trade never has to happen. Reddick gets a ton of playing time in the OF in 2012, and we never have to sign Victorino. Plus, I don't know what Miles Head will turn into, but he looks like a better 1B option for the future than any we have readily available right now.

I have a feeling that's just scratching the surface.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I always liked Reddick and thought he had some big hits in 2011 for the Sox. One big hit was a game winning hit off of Mariano Rivera in Boston. He fell off a little in September but so did the whole team. Bailey is an injury prone reliever and truer to form was injured again last year for 90 percent of the season. Sweeney never could hit for power and truer to form last year did not. He is a defensive replacement at best who should be around major league minimum salary.

I wish Reddick luck and am sorry that they made this deal. This is not a great deal for Young Ben Cherrington at all.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Josh Reddick is not Babe Ruth or even Jeff Bagwell.  No need to panic over this.

Most likely we had another Phil Plantier trade. Lost a good player, but hardly crippling. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I disagree that "losing" Reddick is a consequence of the Bard-starter experiment.  First, the Sox pen lost a good arm when Paps left so even with Bard staying in the BP they were likely to pull the trigger on a trade for either a closer or proven setup man.  I don't see a reason to believe they would have passed on the Bailey trade as a way to help fill the void Paps left.  Second, I never had the impression the Sox were that high on Reddick.  He is streaky and lacks plate discipline and we know how much the FO likes OBP.  

It was always about Kalish :(

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Thnings like this happen from time to time. I don't worry about it. However Kalish was a risk then as he is now... Reddick showed he could play at a certain level while he was here. Bad trade but wihtout hindsight I did not give it much thought at the time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm more upset about the David Murphy (and Gabbard) for Gagne deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

...............and the Red Sox still won the World Series despite a very very very very very horrible Gagne.   LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...............and the Red Sox still won the World Series despite a very very very very very horrible Gagne.   LOL

True enough, but D Murph has had about a .350 OBP and 18 Hrs per 620 PAs with TX.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

True moonslav59.   :)

Another trade I did not like was the Red Sox trading Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena.  So much for "You can never have enough pitching."   LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

True moonslav59.   :)

Another trade I did not like was the Red Sox trading Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena.  So much for "You can never have enough pitching."   LOL

Yes, and we certainly could have used Arroyo over the years gone by.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

David Murphy has made a nice career for himself.  From what I heard, everybody in the Sox organization thought the world of him as a person, as he has always been a class act on and off the field, and they included him in that deal to give him an opportunity somewhere (you could call it a favor.)  The Sox had just signed Drew to a 5 year deal, Manny was in left and Ellsbury was the future in center.  They obviously had Crisp as well.  It didn't look like he would ever get an opportunity in Boston, so they moved him.  It's actually not as uncommon as most people would think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Arroyo for Pena is the one that I liked the least.  At the time, I liked the Gabbard and Murphy for Gagne trade, as I thought the Sox were getting a shut down pitcher for a 4th OFer who was never going to get a chance in Boston (and I still believe he would not have amounted to much if he had continued to play for Boston) and Gabbard (who I liked, but recognized he was not likely to ever have any impact on a team's pitching staff).

Reddick for Bailey still has to play out...which was the final message in the MLBTR column.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

David Murphy has made a nice career for himself.  From what I heard, everybody in the Sox organization thought the world of him as a person, as he has always been a class act on and off the field, and they included him in that deal to give him an opportunity somewhere (you could call it a favor.)  The Sox had just signed Drew to a 5 year deal, Manny was in left and Ellsbury was the future in center.  They obviously had Crisp as well.  It didn't look like he would ever get an opportunity in Boston, so they moved him.  It's actually not as uncommon as most people would think.

Yeah, but the fact is that Murphy's numbers were about as good as Drew's, but at a much lower cost. I get why we thought he was expendable, but as it turned out we'd have been much better off with Murphy over Drew and the $70M spent elsewhere.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Arroyo for Pena is the one that I liked the least.  At the time, I liked the Gabbard and Murphy for Gagne trade, as I thought the Sox were getting a shut down pitcher for a 4th OFer who was never going to get a chance in Boston (and I still believe he would not have amounted to much if he had continued to play for Boston) and Gabbard (who I liked, but recognized he was not likely to ever have any impact on a team's pitching staff).

Reddick for Bailey still has to play out...which was the final message in the MLBTR column.

I thought ''Transaction Retrospection:'' was a interesting idea

but was disappointed they didn't focus on a trade from 2 or 3 yrs ago

granderson  trade would of been more interesting

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Josh Reddick is not Babe Ruth or even Jeff Bagwell.  No need to panic over this.

Most likely we had another Phil Plantier trade. Lost a good player, but hardly crippling. 

Phil Plantier won a gold glove.

Huh.  Don't remember that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, Plantier never won a GG, but he did hit 34 HRs his first year with SD (and 100 RBIs).

He ended up with 91 HRs in 2166 PAs or about 24 per 575 PAs (.243 BA/.332 OBP).

He was basically a one year wonder, and that may be what Josh turns out to be.

Plantier Career: (2166) .243  91  292   0 GG

Reddick Career: (1076) .244  42  122   1 GG

per 162 games:

Plantier  .243  24  78  (.332 OBP/.439 SLG/.770 OPS) 

Reddick  .244  23  66  (.300 OBP/.445 SLG/.745 OPS)

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I wonder if Yankee fans whine and cry about the Pineda trade the same way certain sox fans whine and cry about the Reddick trade..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I'm tired of hearing about this one.  No question Gagne was awful.  No question in retropect it was a horrible trade.  But honestly, who at the time thought this was a bad trade?  The intent was obvious.  The Red Sox were a bit thin in the pen.  Basically, all they could count on was Oki and Paps, and Oki had to be shut down in September due to a tired arm.  Fortunately, Oki and Paps were enough to get them through the postseason.  

I'll take the World Series, thank you (and no thanks to Gagne, of course), and not complain about what could have been.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I agree with everything you wrote here.  Another thing that I disliked so much about the Arroyo trade is that he loved playing for the Red Sox and embraced the fans.  He was foolish to take less to stay, as he got screwed.  While business is business, it served the Red Sox organization right to get the short end of this deal.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is funny how some continue to defend this trade in an effort to support Cherington. You can still support Ben while admitting that this was a mistake. Everyone in baseball knows that it was. And , comparing Reddick to Plantier is absurd. Reddick is a far better ball player than Plantier was.  Let's get real. You can defend Ben C without trying to diminish Reddick. Let's try to be a little more objective here.

Sections
Shortcuts