Replay expansion - it is going to happen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Replay expansion - it is going to happen

a death blow to the "purists':

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball appears set for a vast expansion of video review by umpires in 2014 and is examining whether all calls other than balls and strikes should be subject to instant replay.

what do you guys think?

no 99 alcs phantom tag.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Replay expansion - it is going to happen

If they can do it like the NHL and have a home office that decides in a short amount of time i have no issue with it. Umpires going off the field takes way too long for my taste. It has to be more efficient than that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Something else to make games even longer and more tedious than what they are now.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yeah, no one is going to complain about the time when the call goes their way.  I get both sides of the argument, but the question of time should be the last concern.  If it takes 5 extra minutes to determine that a HR ball was actually fair or foul down the line, then so be it.  Expanded replay is coming.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

Expanded replay will be good.  One of the more frustrating aspects of the game for hitters and pitchers is their disagreement with the home plate umpire on a ball or strike call. With expanded replay, if a hitter or pitcher doesn't agree with a ball or strike call they should be able to ask  for a review of the pitch in the replay booth and get a consensus opinion on the correct call.  It'll be better for the fans too.  With ticket prices so high... the fans will get more bang for their buck -- instead of games lasting a few hours...an average game could now go for six or seven hours with the added replays.....it'll be like getting two games for the price of one ticket....everyone wins.

Their not going to question balls and strikes, and use replays to do it. That would be bad for the game. What they could do is bring back a program that grades the umpire after every game. The league should say, "This is the strike zone, use this one and not your own personal one." I think if they made the umpires stick to this it would be more fair across the board.

An umpire creating his own personal K zone is the big issue with me.

As far as other replays, Im ok with that. Although I think there should be a home base like the NHL, which will take it out of the hands of the onfield umpires and will also speed up the process.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

I'd love to go to a game that starts at 7:00 PM and ends around 2:00 -- 2:30 AM....although that could be a little rough on kids on school nights....but nothing a couple cups of black coffee in the AM couldn't fix.

If it was say, hockey, then Id agree. Much more action and excitement IMO.

Dont get me wrong, I love baseball, but after 4hrs Im pretty much toast. The closer it can be to 3hrs, like most other sports, the better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am not a fan of this. Games are already too long in most cases. If they are going to expand replay..then I suggest they just give each manager two challenges..like the do in football. Just review those plays that get challenged. Otherwise the game is going to be slowed down to the point of irrelevency.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to PikeJr's comment:

Fair balls over the bags or hitting the foul lines can be done with cameras similar to those used in tennis tournaments and such requests only take about fifteen seconds to be settled.

Except that in tennis, you do not have to determine what happens to men on base when a foul call is reversed...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

IMO, they should do away with instant replay altogether.

I am not a fan of this at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

a death blow to the "purists':

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball appears set for a vast expansion of video review by umpires in 2014 and is examining whether all calls other than balls and strikes should be subject to instant replay.

what do you guys think?

no 99 alcs phantom tag.....

I would love to see one standard/accurate pitch replay like Ameca used as a replay tool.  You obviously couldn't do it on every pitch or we wouldn't need a home plate ump.  However we could certainly allow a team to utilize it once or twice every game just to keep the home plate umps in line.