Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?

by Michael Hurley/NESN
    Last week, Theo Epstein told Peter Gammons that he's more likely to add a position player than a pitcher before the trading deadline.

Now, one of those position players might be trying to get Epstein's attention.

Andre Ethier is reportedly interested in joining the Red Sox, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman.

"He's got his best buddy, Dustin Pedroia, telling him how great Boston is,'' a person "close to Ethier" told Heyman. "In Andre's mind, [the Dodgers' situation] is embarrassing, and Boston has a different [vibe] right now.''

The Dodgers, in the middle of a dreadful season and the financial turmoil of owner Frank McCourt, are in a bad place right now, and Ethier, who's not eligible for free agency until after 2012, may want out sooner rather than later.

"He loves L.A., but he wants to play for a winner, and he wants to be associated with a team with positive things surrounding it,'' the source told Heyman. "Matt Kemp's a guy who won't let it bother him, who'll just say I'll play my game. Andre isn't like that.''

Ethier, 29, is hitting .313 this season with seven homers, 42 RBIs and an .833 OPS. Red Sox right fielders have just a .646 OPS this season, second-worst in the majors.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?

Andre, don't listen to that sawed-off little_____...Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?

In Response to Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]by Michael Hurley/NESN Last week, Theo Epstein told Peter Gammons that he's more likely to add a position player than a pitcher before the trading deadline. Now, one of those position players might be trying to get Epstein's attention. Andre Ethier is reportedly interested in joining the Red Sox , according to SI.com's Jon Heyman . "He's got his best buddy, Dustin Pedroia , telling him how great Boston is,'' a person "close to Ethier" told Heyman. "In Andre's mind, [the Dodgers' situation] is embarrassing, and Boston has a different [vibe] right now.'' The Dodgers, in the middle of a dreadful season and the financial turmoil of owner Frank McCourt , are in a bad place right now, and Ethier, who's not eligible for free agency until after 2012, may want out sooner rather than later. "He loves L.A., but he wants to play for a winner, and he wants to be associated with a team with positive things surrounding it,'' the source told Heyman. " Matt Kemp 's a guy who won't let it bother him, who'll just say I'll play my game. Andre isn't like that.'' Ethier, 29, is hitting .313 this season with seven homers, 42 RBIs and an .833 OPS. Red Sox right fielders have just a .646 OPS this season, second-worst in the majors.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Either is a nice player but another guy who struggles against lefties.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

Eithier is a fine player, and would be a wonderful addition!  Much would depend on the price in prospects!  He should not bring a Adrian bag of goodies!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Great! Another lefty hitter in the OF.
    But, hey! He's buddies with Dustin Pedroia, so let's go overpay for him!
    Seven homers? WOWIE! WOW!
    Pass!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I think they'll end up with either Beltre or Francoever or however you spell his French name.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Pedey can be a bleep, but he is still my favorite player. Often I see Ells get thrown out by a step, and I think "Aw, come on, if he hustled like Pedey he'd be in there." I have never seen someone hustle like Pedey does, and I think it's how people should play.
     I'd love to see Eithier in a Sox uni, but it would take a boatload of prospects to do it. Eithier would be a JBay-like adittion, except hopefully Eithier doesn't have a knee condition that pevents him from resigning after 2012 if we do acquire him. Hunter Pence, Matt Kemp, and Eithier are 3 outfielders I would love to see in a Sox uni, and Eithier is by far that most realistic one to acquire. I don't think Theo will trade for him, but not many people thought that we would get JBay in 2008. I think that Theo has the chips to pull it off, but either won't pull the trigger or will attempt an Eithier deal only to see MLB break it up because they don't want to see the Dodgers have a fire sale. An Eithier deal is possible, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Oh yeah, I forgot, Eithier is a leftie who struggles against lefties. I don't think it's so bad that we would have to sit him, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Hey, I'm interested in joining the Red Sox too, although they seem to have no apparent need for me.  Why am I not newsworthy? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

because you're a building

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE] Pedey can be a bleep, but he is still my favorite player. Often I see Ells get thrown out by a step, and I think "Aw, come on, if he hustled like Pedey he'd be in there." I have never seen someone hustle like Pedey does, and I think it's how people should play.  I'd love to see Eithier in a Sox uni, but it would take a boatload of prospects to do it. Eithier would be a JBay-like adittion, except hopefully Eithier doesn't have a knee condition that pevents him from resigning after 2012 if we do acquire him. Hunter Pence, Matt Kemp, and Eithier are 3 outfielders I would love to see in a Sox uni, and Eithier is by far that most realistic one to acquire. I don't think Theo will trade for him, but not many people thought that we would get JBay in 2008. I think that Theo has the chips to pull it off, but either won't pull the trigger or will attempt an Eithier deal only to see MLB break it up because they don't want to see the Dodgers have a fire sale. An Eithier deal is possible, though.
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

'Pedey can be a bleep'?   Why?  Because he says things that aren't politically correct?   I suppose(rather, I'm sure of) you also think Schilling is a 'bleep'.

Forgive me is I'm wrong, but I, for one, am sick and tired of rehersed and canned answers during interviews.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ethier is a career .246, only at .233 this year.

Adrian Gonzalez, who I figured is one of the better, is .266 lifetime, though over .300 this year.

Ellsbury is .252 this year, .296 career.

Crawford, .151 this, .263 lifetime

So, yeah, he's not good against lefties, but let's not overstate how bad he is. Besides, lefties only comprise about 1/4 of starters.

For the right price, I'd absolutely welcome him aboard, I fail to see why anyone wouldn't given how he's been doing the past 2 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Honestly, I just said that so that Jete wouldn't chanell his inner Yankee fan and start attacking me. Pedey can be rude, but he is my favorite player, and when you can back up the smack with your play, I'm fine with it.
     Also, I don't see the problems everyone has with Schilling. He helped us to two world series, and you guys act like he has a worse attitude than A-Rod.
     I don't have any problems with either Pedey or Schilling. Sorry I made it sound like I do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

theo should definetly be interested. Eithier may well be the best option the sox have to replace jd drew. Maybe we can include drew in the deal(just as a throw in) plus prospects (the main part of the deal). When looking at some of the other options that have been thrown out there, ethier despite being left handed makes the most sense. Guys like hunter pence, matt kemp, etc are going to cost way too much and there teams would probably not trade those guys anyways. Ethier on the other hand would be much more reasonable in terms of cost and the dodgers would trade him. Add in the fact that he is really good friends with pedroia and wants to play for the sox and you the makings of a deal. 2 things have to be considered when making a deal for eithier, 1) the cost and 2) where would he fit in the line up. The cost for either would start with a young corner outfielder to replace eithier. Josh reddick fits that description, they could use a young pitcher, add in kyle wieland, and young catcher could help them so add in exposito/federowicz. That would likely get a deal done. The second part of the equation is where ethier would fit in the line up. Obviously he would play right field. I have played around with the batting order and this is the best one i have come up with:

ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez/ethier
    ethier/gonzalez
    youk
    ortiz
    crawford
    salty
    scutaro/lowrie

This makes sense for a number of reasons. 1) we would not have 3 lefties hitting in a row. 2) it would youk more rbi opportunities and i have always thought he was better suited to be a #5 hitter 3) we would have quality hitting from 1-7 and salty/scutaro or lowrie are pretty good bottom of the order guys and salty would not have much pressure on him to hit due to all the good hitters batting ahead of him. I am not sure if i would bat ethier 3rd or 4th. Typically the number for spot is reserved for the clean up hitter, the guys who will drive in the runs. On the other hand a lot of people believe that you should bat your best hitter 3rd so that gets more at bats in. So really you could put ethier at either spot but given the fact that hes is not a huge power guy(but is a great contact hitter and gets on base a lot) makes me think he is better suited for the 3 spot. Hitting ethier 3rd would give agonz even more rbi opportunities. But again either way you cant go wrong. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, six lefty hitters in Fenway Park.
    Anyone around here ever heard of BALANCE?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ummm tbrod, 

pedroia, youk, salty, scutaro = 4 righties

eithier, gonzalez, ellsbury, crawford = 5 lefties

Thats pretty much as balanced as you can get it for a 9 man line up. Yes the majority of our good hitters are lefties so in that regard it is slightly unbalanced. But keep in mind most teams have only have 1 lefty in their rotation. There are far more righty pitchers in the league than lefties. And remember the sox only play half of their games at home. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Helllooooo! Salty is a switcher, which means he hits lefty far more than righty.
    Not ONE righty who has ever hit 30 homers.
    Right handed hitters hit against all pitching from the time they're born.
    Read my post in the Ellsbury thread. ALL the best Sox teams had considerable right handed presence. '67 was almost all righty except for Yaz.
    There's no Manny, Rice, Evans, Baylor, Nomar, Rico, or Tony C on this team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?:
    [QUOTE]Ethier is a career .246, only at .233 this year. Adrian Gonzalez, who I figured is one of the better, is .266 lifetime, though over .300 this year. Ellsbury is .252 this year, .296 career. Crawford, .151 this, .263 lifetime So, yeah, he's not good against lefties, but let's not overstate how bad he is. Besides, lefties only comprise about 1/4 of starters. For the right price, I'd absolutely welcome him aboard, I fail to see why anyone wouldn't given how he's been doing the past 2 years.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Uh, Adrian Gonzalez is a .291 career hitter not .266

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Great! Another lefty hitter in the OF. But, hey! He's buddies with Dustin Pedroia, so let's go overpay for him! Seven homers? WOWIE! WOW! Pass!
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

American Bulldog or Mastif?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]because you're a building
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

But not just any building. A BDC building.  I might look good behind Fenway, transplanted to the Boston skyline. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

He'd be cool as a rental player but aint happening.  RF has a farm guy written all over it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

yes, you'd look good as a back-drop for towering Ortiz homers

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

No, Kemp is the correct player the pry away from the Dodgers. Bellsbury and a couple of prospects will get it done.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

who wouldn't be interested in playing in boston, only losers like yankees

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts