Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?

In Response to Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?:
    No, Kemp is the correct player the pry away from the Dodgers. Bellsbury and a couple of prospects will get it done.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw

As much as i would love for the sox to get matt kemp, i just dont see it happening. I dont see kemp leaving the dodgers. He is the guy they will rebuild around. Just like hanley ramirez in florida etc. He is the young guy that they will build there team around. Also, he will cost a huge amount in prospects/players to pry him away from the dodgers if they would even trade him. (i doubt they would move him). The package we would have to offer would be about the same as the agonz package which the sox farm system could not handle. It would be wiped out. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?

There is no way the dodgers would take ellsbury as the centerpiece of a deal for matt kemp. They would not trade their best hitter for a lead off hitter with some pop. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

either is hitting below .240.  why would we think that he is a better solution in RF than reddick at this point?

reddick is much, much, much less expensive and doesn't need to be traded for (n stripping any of the better prospects out of the minor league teams).

just write his name in the lineup and let him play.   if he flops, then look for a replacement.  if he continues to hit something hard every game then just let him keep hitting and hitting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Kemp is not happening.  I don't think Ethier is either....but I think they would both fit in very nicely in Boston. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Pedey can be a bleep, but he is still my favorite player. Often I see Ells get thrown out by a step, and I think "Aw, come on, if he hustled like Pedey he'd be in there." I have never seen someone hustle like Pedey does, and I think it's how people should play.

J.D Drew runs pretty hard too, as does Marco Scuatro. They aren't flashy players, so the average fan may not notice their baserunning as much. I just think they also deserve some credit for their hustle. They're always diligent.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?:
    In Response to Re: Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested? : Uh, Adrian Gonzalez is a .291 career hitter not .266
    Posted by westcoastsox9

My mistake, my original post were averages versus lefties, though I can see how that wasn't so obvious. A few initial posters were commenting that he's very bad, and though not good, I was giving a comparison and showing he's not terrible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Report: Andre Ethier Interested in Joining Red Sox -Should Theo be interested?:
    by Michael Hurley/NESN Last week, Theo Epstein told Peter Gammons that he's more likely to add a position player than a pitcher before the trading deadline. Now, one of those position players might be trying to get Epstein's attention. Andre Ethier is reportedly interested in joining the Red Sox , according to SI.com's Jon Heyman . "He's got his best buddy, Dustin Pedroia , telling him how great Boston is,'' a person "close to Ethier" told Heyman. "In Andre's mind, [the Dodgers' situation] is embarrassing, and Boston has a different [vibe] right now.'' The Dodgers, in the middle of a dreadful season and the financial turmoil of owner Frank McCourt , are in a bad place right now, and Ethier, who's not eligible for free agency until after 2012, may want out sooner rather than later. "He loves L.A., but he wants to play for a winner, and he wants to be associated with a team with positive things surrounding it,'' the source told Heyman. " Matt Kemp 's a guy who won't let it bother him, who'll just say I'll play my game. Andre isn't like that.'' Ethier, 29, is hitting .313 this season with seven homers, 42 RBIs and an .833 OPS. Red Sox right fielders have just a .646 OPS this season, second-worst in the majors.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

Like I mentioned, Either struggles a bit against lefties but he is a Theo type player and good friend of Dustins.  Don't be surprised if Ethier ends up our FT RF at some point.  I would say Kalish, Doubront or Renaudo, Lowrie or Navarro and possibly even Bard could be part of a package that brings him to Boston.

Lets see what happens, It would keep us with three LH OF but Theo has that now and also would with Reddick or Kalish.  Kemp is probably a better fit but would cost us too much.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

theo should definetly be interested. Eithier may well be the best option the sox have to replace jd drew. Maybe we can include drew in the deal(just as a throw in) plus prospects (the main part of the deal). When looking at some of the other options that have been thrown out there, ethier despite being left handed makes the most sense. Guys like hunter pence, matt kemp, etc are going to cost way too much and there teams would probably not trade those guys anyways. Ethier on the other hand would be much more reasonable in terms of cost and the dodgers would trade him. Add in the fact that he is really good friends with pedroia and wants to play for the sox and you the makings of a deal. 2 things have to be considered when making a deal for eithier, 1) the cost and 2) where would he fit in the line up. The cost for either would start with a young corner outfielder to replace eithier. Josh reddick fits that description, they could use a young pitcher, add in kyle wieland, and young catcher could help them so add in exposito/federowicz. That would likely get a deal done. The second part of the equation is where ethier would fit in the line up. Obviously he would play right field. I have played around with the batting order and this is the best one i have come up with: ellsbury pedroia gonzalez/ethier ethier/gonzalez youk ortiz crawford salty scutaro/lowrie This makes sense for a number of reasons. 1) we would not have 3 lefties hitting in a row. 2) it would youk more rbi opportunities and i have always thought he was better suited to be a #5 hitter 3) we would have quality hitting from 1-7 and salty/scutaro or lowrie are pretty good bottom of the order guys and salty would not have much pressure on him to hit due to all the good hitters batting ahead of him. I am not sure if i would bat ethier 3rd or 4th. Typically the number for spot is reserved for the clean up hitter, the guys who will drive in the runs. On the other hand a lot of people believe that you should bat your best hitter 3rd so that gets more at bats in. So really you could put ethier at either spot but given the fact that hes is not a huge power guy(but is a great contact hitter and gets on base a lot) makes me think he is better suited for the 3 spot. Hitting ethier 3rd would give agonz even more rbi opportunities. But again either way you cant go wrong. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

No way Sox will put a LH hitter in RF next year. It makes no sense. Theo is no fool.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

No way Sox will put a LH hitter in RF next year. It makes no sense. Theo is no fool.
    Posted by jimdaytona

What are Theo's options for a full time relacement in RF? 

Reddick, Kalish, Chiang - lefties
    Lin, Linares - righties

Kemp or Pence -
    righties, who would probably cost us Ells as part of any package, which won't happen.

Ethier - lefty, much like Drew but better yet still struggles a bit against lefties.  He could also likely be had without giving up Ells.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

all winter long into spring get rid of ellsbury.

now we need to get another lefty bat.

we have one,josh reddick this guy can flat out hit,do you watch the game or do you study it?

Reddick is better than just about anyone out there. Better than yaz ted or babe. just kidding. watch (study) this guy he is the real deal.

bosox04steve semper fi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

all winter long into spring get rid of ellsbury.     now we need to get another lefty bat.     we have one,josh reddick this guy can flat out hit,do you watch the game or do you study it?    Reddick is better than just about anyone out there. Better than yaz ted or babe. just kidding. watch (study) this guy he is the real deal.                              bosox04steve semper fi
    Posted by bosox0489

Even if Theo believes Reddick and Kalish could eventually hit "off speed" pitches, they are still lefties.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Don't be surprised if Ethier ends up our FT RF at some point.  I would say Kalish, Doubront or Renaudo, Lowrie or Navarro and possibly even Bard could be part of a package that brings him to Boston."

Bard??  Seriously dude.  The team with the best offense in baseball is going to trade their most important reliever for more offense.  That makes less than no sense

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

"Don't be surprised if Ethier ends up our FT RF at some point.  I would say Kalish, Doubront or Renaudo, Lowrie or Navarro and possibly even Bard could be part of a package that brings him to Boston. " Bard??  Seriously d ude.  The team with the best offense in baseball is going to trade their most important reliever for more offense.  That makes less than no sense
    Posted by siestafiesta

Lets just wait and see fair enough?  You don't get a guy like Either without giving up something proven in return and the Dodgers need a good set up guy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Nope. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 5/9/2010
    Last: 7/8/2011
    Helllooooo! Salty is a switcher, which means he hits lefty far more than righty.
    Not ONE righty who has ever hit 30 homers.
    Right handed hitters hit against all pitching from the time they're born.
    Read my post in the Ellsbury thread. ALL the best Sox teams had considerable right handed presence. '67 was almost all righty except for Yaz.
    There's no Manny, Rice, Evans, Baylor, Nomar, Rico, or Tony C on this team.

Yoooooooohooooooooooo .....

Youk is what?   Chopped Liver?   OK, only 29 HRs last year.  Sorta close to 30.  Easily the hitter that Baylor, Rico or Tony C.  Rico is a favorite, and could hit the dinger ... but  only one season at 40, and two in the 20's - all other years less than 20.   Youk's lifetime BA and many other stats are higher.  Baylor hit 30+ HRs in on season with us and a huge .239 BA ....

Why sell out Youk like that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

The Sox need Bard 10 times more than they need Ethier.  You can say wait and see but I'll go out on the limb right now and say no way this will happen. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

File Ethier's name next to Hunter Pence on the list of OF Sox fans want but are not going to get this year.

Whether Ethier wants Boston or not is immaterial.  LA decides whether he stays or where he goes, and they won't take his feelings into account.  Whoever offers the best package will get him.

Can the Sox make the best offer at this point?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Tony C was HR Champ at age 20, an age when Youk was still in college. Fastest player in MLB history to 100 homers. Youk has 124 HR for his career! Tony C had that before he was 23 years old! As Yaz said, he was just learning the game when he got hit by Jack Hamilton, and in his and many other's opinion, was on a HOF track.
    Baylor was an MVP. Rico was a power hitting shortstop.
    Also why not mention the other people I mentioned?
    Youk isn't on the same planet as Manny, Nomar and Rice as a hitter.
    I'll take the over 30 Dewey over him, too. Youk has only knocked in 100 runs ONCE! Oh, I forgot, Theo and the stat geeks said RBI doesn't matter.

Sections
Shortcuts