Report: Carlos Beltran Would Waive No-Trade Clause If Traded to Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Report: Carlos Beltran Would Waive No-Trade Clause If Traded to Red Sox

by Alex Speier/WEEI

PHOENIX — Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran, who will serve as the DH of the National League All-Star team on Tuesday, is emerging as one of the foremost trade targets on this summer’s market. The free-agent-to-be is nearing the end of his landmark seven-year, $119 million deal with the Mets.

With Beltran enjoying a resurgence that has him hitting .285 with a .377 OBP and .880 OPS, along with 13 homers and 58 RBI, and the Red Sox struggling to get production from their right field position, his performance suggests a player capable of upgrading the Sox.

Yet Beltran has a full no-trade clause in his contract (something that is now redundant, anyway, since he is a player with 10 years of service time in the majors and five straight with the same club). And so, he was asked, would he accept a trade to the Red Sox should that be dangled in front of him?

“They’re in first place,” he smiled. “That’s a no-brainer.”

It won’t likely come to that. Both Red Sox sources and executives from other clubs who have talked to the Sox say that Boston won’t have much money to spend this summer in order to upgrade in the middle of the season. With Beltran owed roughly $6 million over the remainder of the year, he would be an unlikely target of the Sox.

The team is more likely to seek either internal solutions (whether from the performance of Josh Reddick or J.D. Drew, or right-handed bats Darnell McDonald or even Yamaico Navarro) or a more modest upgrade, a player who could serve a role as a complementary right-handed bat off the bench.

Even so, the Sox have expressed interest in Beltran at multiple stages of his career, including doing due diligence in talks with the Mets on the outfielder this winter (before signing Carl Crawford to his seven-year, $142 million deal) and even as far back as 2004 when he was with the Royals.

Beltran ended up going to the Astros in a three-way trade and carrying them to the NL Central title and indeed within a game of the World Series against the Red Sox that year. But the Sox made a hard play to acquire him from the Royals before Houston ultimately landed his services. For weeks, Beltran was a constant rumor. It was a challenging time.

“At the beginning, it was a little bit uncomfortable, because everyday I thought maybe today might be the day that I’m traded. But one day I had a conversation with Allard Baird, the general manager,” Beltran recalled, citing the former Royals GM who is now a top Red Sox executive. “He told me, ‘Don’t listen to rumors. If you don’t hear from me, nothing’s going to happen.’ That really took some weight off me, off my shoulders. I didn’t worry anymore about being traded. … That was good for me until that day came that I was going to be traded to Houston.

“It was an experience, at a very young age I was able to go through it. Now, I know that this is something that might happen — me being traded — but you have to be able to deal with it.”

And Beltran is willing to do just that should the Mets decide that they will be better off making a move.

“I have already made it clear to the Mets — and they know — that I’d say yes [to a trade],” Beltran said. “At the same time, right now we’re playing good baseball and we’re contending. So we have to wait. We have to wait and see what happens.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Report: Carlos Beltran Would Waive No-Trade Clause If Traded to Red Sox

With a MLB best 482 runs scored and 14th best 371 runs allowed I don't think the RS are going to give the Mets what they will want for Beltran to score more.

Just my take

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

RF is fine, may be the weakest position in this lineup, but the lineup is still very good.  Best thing to do for a trade is not to do anything.  This team is designed for a very deep run into October as is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Beltran for McDonald straight up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Beltran for Lackey and 1,000 bowls of New England Clam Chowder. 

Take it or leave it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

how about Drew + a outfield prospect for Beltran?

we still eat a million of his salary for the mets but we don't take on as much by releasing Drew, plus we give them a possible outfielder for the future.  Then Beltran will also bring in first round pick or two (depending on the new system) via free agency.

I will not defend this trade scenario very hard, just having a little fun with the idea. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Carlos Beltran Would Waive No-Trade Clause If Traded to Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]how about Drew + a outfield prospect for Beltran? we still eat a million of his salary for the mets but we don't take on as much by releasing Drew, plus we give them a possible outfielder for the future.  Then Beltran will also bring in first round pick or two (depending on the new system) via free agency. I will not defend this trade scenario very hard, just having a little fun with the idea. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I really like this idea.  Would probably take at least 2 prospects...unless we think drew is worth any prospects in return....but I doubt it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Report: Carlos Beltran Would Waive No-Trade Clause If Traded to Red Sox:
    [QUOTE] by Alex Speier/WEEI PHOENIX — Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran , who will serve as the DH of the National League All-Star team on Tuesday, is emerging as one of the foremost trade targets on this summer’s market. The free-agent-to-be is nearing the end of his landmark seven-year, $119 million deal with the Mets. With Beltran enjoying a resurgence that has him hitting .285 with a .377 OBP and .880 OPS, along with 13 homers and 58 RBI, and the Red Sox struggling to get production from their right field position, his performance suggests a player capable of upgrading the Sox. Yet Beltran has a full no-trade clause in his contract (something that is now redundant, anyway, since he is a player with 10 years of service time in the majors and five straight with the same club). And so, he was asked, would he accept a trade to the Red Sox should that be dangled in front of him? “They’re in first place,” he smiled. “That’s a no-brainer.” It won’t likely come to that. Both Red Sox sources and executives from other clubs who have talked to the Sox say that Boston won’t have much money to spend this summer in order to upgrade in the middle of the season. With Beltran owed roughly $6 million over the remainder of the year, he would be an unlikely target of the Sox. The team is more likely to seek either internal solutions (whether from the performance of Josh Reddick or J.D. Drew , or right-handed bats Darnell McDonald or even Yamaico Navarro ) or a more modest upgrade, a player who could serve a role as a complementary right-handed bat off the bench. Even so, the Sox have expressed interest in Beltran at multiple stages of his career, including doing due diligence in talks with the Mets on the outfielder this winter (before signing Carl Crawford to his seven-year, $142 million deal) and even as far back as 2004 when he was with the Royals. Beltran ended up going to the Astros in a three-way trade and carrying them to the NL Central title and indeed within a game of the World Series against the Red Sox that year. But the Sox made a hard play to acquire him from the Royals before Houston ultimately landed his services. For weeks, Beltran was a constant rumor. It was a challenging time. “At the beginning, it was a little bit uncomfortable, because everyday I thought maybe today might be the day that I’m traded. But one day I had a conversation with Allard Baird , the general manager,” Beltran recalled, citing the former Royals GM who is now a top Red Sox executive. “He told me, ‘Don’t listen to rumors. If you don’t hear from me, nothing’s going to happen.’ That really took some weight off me, off my shoulders. I didn’t worry anymore about being traded. … That was good for me until that day came that I was going to be traded to Houston. “It was an experience, at a very young age I was able to go through it. Now, I know that this is something that might happen — me being traded — but you have to be able to deal with it.” And Beltran is willing to do just that should the Mets decide that they will be better off making a move. “I have already made it clear to the Mets — and they know — that I’d say yes [to a trade],” Beltran said. “At the same time, right now we’re playing good baseball and we’re contending. So we have to wait. We have to wait and see what happens.”
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

I would be very surprised to see Theo go after Beltran.  We need a RH hitting OF who can handle lefties.  Carlos isn't the guy, his career BA is only 232 against them.  We already have Crawford who struggles so I don't see it happening.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Pitching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Love to have Beltran but with the offense already being solid I just as soon see Reddick go full-time or at the least a straight platoon with Nancy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If he was for sale I'd want Cuddyer.....if he was for sale.  I think Burrito is right though when it comes down to it this offense is the best in the league, why mess with such a good thing?  We don't even need a bat in RF and Reddick is good enough defensively to take Drew's spot...and if he fulfills his potential then all the better.  It will also be on the cheap as well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MIKESOX. Show MIKESOX's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing Cuddyer play RF for us, but I think there will be a "Fire Sale" in Dodger land and Kemp or Ethier could probably be had too. I heard once that Ethier and Pedroia roomed together in college, so he has one friend in Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Let the Muts keep Beltran. No expensive rentals.
    Now, if they could somehow get Pence or Quentin, who are under control for at least next year.............

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Carlos Beltran Would Waive No-Trade Clause If Traded to Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]Beltran for McDonald straight up.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]
    I like it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

[QUOTE]Beltre is in the wheelchair stage. Offer Jed Lowrie and a year's supply of HGH.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]
    Drivel, Beltre is healthy and productive right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

it makes no sense for the sox to trade for carlos beltran. we already have one 35 yr old outfielder on the roster we dont need 2. If we trade for a right fielder it only makes sense to get a guy for the future.(though reddick could be that guy) What i mean by this is that we would have to get someone like andre ethier, matt kemp, hunter pence etc. I think that will happen in the offseason once drew is off the roster and we have got a better look at josh reddick. As for the upcoming trade deadline, i think pitching will be our main concern. Andrew miller has been decent so far but has faced pretty weak hitting teams. john lackey has been a mostly crap but has had the occasional good start.buchholz and lester are both on the DL. Now rumors have surfaced that the sox are going after matt garza. I think he would be a good pick up depending on the cost. Looking at the teams who are out of it and who they would realistically move garza seems to be the best fit. He is AL east proven and under team controll till 2013 and is quite durable. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

And to think we were worrying about the backstop.

Now we worry about RF.

katz is right. Why talk about another stick when we need another loose arm to eat some innings and be another stopper.

Rather add a strong arm to the rotation or the bullpen - how about another lefty?