Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox?

just read on mlbtr that heath bell is close to signing but the team he is signing with is unkown. could it be the sox? do you guys think he is the right guy for the job? I am ok with the sox signing bell but its hard to say whether or not he is the best option out there. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox?

After missing out on Broxton, whats the point?

Admit it.  We all wanted to see Bell, Broxton and Jenks out in the bullpen together.  That's about 1,000 pounds of reliever right there.

Maybe we can still get Tommy Hunter...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I guess we know it isn't Boston.  Latest update from mlbtr: 

"11:55pm: 
    Bell wrote on his personal Twitter account that there's nothing going on: "The most exciting thing that happened today..put up my Christmas lights. No news people."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

I like Bell but he is a fly ball pitcher and we all know how those types fair in the friendly confines....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No fear, Tim Wastefield is ready to fill the innings eater role in the pen or starting. This team has finished 3rd two years in a row, and it would have been worse if not for the unique talent that is the 45 year old man with a paunched beer gut. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox?:
    [QUOTE]No fear, Tim Wastefield is ready to fill the innings eater role in the pen or starting. This team has finished 3rd two years in a row, and it would have been worse if not for the unique talent that is the 45 year old man with a paunched beer gut. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

You have to get over your pathological obsession with Wakefield and Varitek.  It just can't be healthy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox?:
    [QUOTE]I like Bell but he is a fly ball pitcher and we all know how those types fair in the friendly confines....
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]
    Heath Bell is not a fly-ball pitcher:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2080&position=P#battedball

Jonathan Papelbon is far more a fly-ball pitcher:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5975&position=P#battedball

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox? : Heath Bell is not a fly-ball pitcher: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2080&position=P#battedball Jonathan Papelbon is far more a fly-ball pitcher: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5975&position=P#battedball
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thanks for those links, Hill. I had no idea Paps was such a flyball pitcher, but the stats show that's the case.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I like Bell but he is a fly ball pitcher and we all know how those types fair in the friendly confines....
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]

But he isn't really a big fly ball pitcher overall.  Last season, just 26% of his batted balls against were outfield fly balls, with about 9.5% as infield fly's which inflated his total fly ball rate (35.4% in 2011, 31.8% in his career).  What concerns me the most is the combination of his age (34), the huge drop in his K rate last year (11.06 K/9 in 2010 - 7.32 K/9 in 2011), and the expected length of a contract that Bell is looking for (3+ years).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox? : Heath Bell is not a fly-ball pitcher: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2080&position=P#battedball Jonathan Papelbon is far more a fly-ball pitcher: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5975&position=P#battedball
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it Hill.  What do you make of his drop in K rate though?  It doesn't look like his stuff got any worse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Maybe Heath Bell is coming?  Red Sox already have an oldster who has had success in the AL, and also have a Closer in waiting Daniel Bard.  Maybe Bard will be a starter, but it might be easier to bring in a #4 or 5 starter and use Bard where he has done well recently.  Aceves may move into the rotation, but I don't think the Red Sox will want both Bard and Aceves in the rotation. The decision on who will be the Closer candidate to succeed Papelbon should be made by Manager Valentine and his pitching coach and hopefully will be the first decision they coordinate with Ben Cherington.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

When I read a thread like this too closely I feel psychosis creeping in.

Or...is it the voices in my head saying...quiet!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Report: Marlins meet with Heath Bell

This should come as no surprise, as the Marlins appear to have eyes for every free agent that breathes. But Jon Heyman of SI.com is reporting via Twitter that the Marlins have spoken with closer Heath Bell. In another tweet, Heyman reports that Ryan Madson declined to meet with the Marlins because he didn't like their initial offer.

Earlier reports have indicated that the Padres don't believe they'll be able to re-sign Bell, who has averaged 44 saves over the past three seasons with San Diego.

The Marlins clearly lack a closer. Juan Carlos Oviedo (formerly Leo Nunez) remains in the Dominican Republic, where he continues to sort out immigration issues. And even if Oviedo were to be cleared soon, it's not certain that the Marlins would tender him an offer as he stands to make up to $6 million through salary arbitration. The Marlins' current in-house candidates -- Edward MujicaSteve Cishek and Mike Dunn -- are not exactly appealing options for the ninth-inning role, either.

Bell would not come cheap. There have been reports suggesting that Bell could command a three-year deal worth more than $30 million. And Bell has stated publically that he would prefer to remain on the West Coast.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2011/12/report-marlins-meet-with-heath-bell.html#ixzz1fJAqyr7u

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Seriously, stay away from free agent closers.  Their asking price is still too high.  Best solution is to have Bard to close and have Jenks/newly sign free agent set up man to become a set up pitcher.

Use $$ to get Berhrle or trade for Garza!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Bell's the guy I REALLY want. Hard to imagine it's the Sox though...with not 1 rumor flying? I'm thinking we were probably caught napping again....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Heath Bell reportedly has signed with the Miami Marlins:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7302467/miami-marlins-agree-closer-heath-bell-three-year-deal-sources-say

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Report: Marlins meet with Heath Bell        This should come as no surprise, as the Marlins appear to have eyes for every free agent that breathes. But  Jon Heyman  of SI.com is reporting via Twitter that the Marlins have spoken with closer  Heath Bell.  In another tweet, Heyman reports that  Ryan Madson  declined to meet with the Marlins because he didn't like their initial offer.         Earlier reports have indicated that the Padres don't believe they'll be able to re-sign  Bell , who has averaged 44 saves over the past three seasons with San Diego.         The Marlins clearly lack a closer.  Juan Carlos Oviedo  (formerly  Leo Nunez ) remains in the Dominican Republic, where he continues to sort out immigration issues. And even if Oviedo were to be cleared soon, it's not certain that the Marlins would tender him an offer as he stands to make up to $6 million through salary arbitration. The Marlins' current in-house candidates --  Edward Mujica ,  Steve Cishek  and  Mike Dunn  -- are not exactly appealing options for the ninth-inning role, either.         Bell would not come cheap. There have been reports suggesting that Bell could command a three-year deal worth more than $30 million. And Bell has stated publically that he would prefer to remain on the West Coast. Read more:  http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2011/12/report-marlins-meet-with-heath-bell.html#ixzz1fJAqyr7u
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Heck, 3/30 for Bell would be a bargain compared to what Papelbon got in Philly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I guess we know it isn't Boston.  Latest update from mlbtr:  "11:55pm:  Bell wrote on his personal Twitter account that there's nothing going on: "The most exciting thing that happened today..put up my Christmas lights. No news people."
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

His pants must be on fire, because espn is reporting him going to the Marlins now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox? : His pants must be on fire, because espn is reporting him going to the Marlins now.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I do agree with him that Christmas lights are more exciting than the Marlins....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

For those of you upset the Sox did not get Bell, bear in mind this does mean the Marlins will be non-tendering Leo Nunez Juan Carlos Oviedo, or LNJCO as I like to call him...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Heath Bell close to signing, team is unknown. Could it be the sox? : I do agree with him that Christmas lights are more exciting than the Marlins....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Good point! Turns out he was being honest after all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Marlins are in the process of upping the ante and buying a spot in the play-offs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Wow! Can't believe he went for $9 million per for a 3 yr deal. Where the heck were the Red Sox when all this went down? Napping....caught napping I say. Bah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't like what I'm seeing from this front office so far. I said it before, this is NOT the off season for sluggishness. The early birds will gobble all the worms leaving the rest starving and looking stupid.

[QUOTE]Heath Bell reportedly has signed with the Miami Marlins: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7302467/miami-marlins-agree-closer-heath-bell-three-year-deal-sources-say
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Some teams want to win and want others to know it. It helps to draw talent who are interested in vying for a ring. Other teams...they nap. Man alive! I hope by seasons start we are counted in the former camp rather than the latter.

[QUOTE]The Marlins are in the process of upping the ante and buying a spot in the play-offs.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts