Report: Kevin Youkilis' Rehab Being Monitored by Phillies, Indians -Masterson for Youkilis and Buchholz?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Report: Kevin Youkilis' Rehab Being Monitored by Phillies, Indians -Masterson for Youkilis and Buchholz?

Are you serious hank using that kind of limited vocabulary in reply to a fellow poster that has equal rights on this forum. If you can't be civil please don't participate--you're no fun. I don't think we are able to help you with anger management. Sorry if this offends you but you offend me and I'm sure a few others with your "M" and "I" words.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Re: Report: Kevin Youkilis' Rehab Being Monitored by Phillies, Indians -Masterson for Youkilis and Buchholz?

I wouldnt trade Buch for Masterson straight up. Yes I know Buch is having a bad year, but his stuff and pre injury numbers should be what you are looking at....not two months of bad pitching. Thats why I hate being a Sox fan, people never look at the complete body of work, they only look at what is right in front of them. before Buch got hurt last season he had a mid 3 ERA and a 2/1 K to BB ratio, as your number 3 starter.
    So why would you trade the two pitchers AND give them Youk?
    Now I would take Youk and Buch for Lowe and a mid level prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Kevin Youkilis' Rehab Being Monitored by Phillies, Indians -Masterson for Youkilis and Buchholz?:
    I wouldnt trade Buch for Masterson straight up. Yes I know Buch is having a bad year, but his stuff and pre injury numbers should be what you are looking at....not two months of bad pitching. Thats why I hate being a Sox fan, people never look at the complete body of work, they only look at what is right in front of them. before Buch got hurt last season he had a mid 3 ERA and a 2/1 K to BB ratio, as your number 3 starter. So why would you trade the two pitchers AND give them Youk? Now I would take Youk and Buch for Lowe and a mid level prospect.
    Posted by slicksteve38

I'll re-post my earlier contribution that examined "the complete body of work."

Justin Masterson, who is ninth months younger than Clay Buchholz, had a peak WAR* of 4.9 in 2011 after WAR of 2.1 and 2.7 in 2009 and 2010.

Buchholz had a peak WAR of 3.8 in 2010 with WAR of 1.3 in 2009 and 1.1 in 2011.

Buchholz has a 2012 WAR of a negative 0.5 while Masterson has a 2012 WAR of 0.4.

Masterson has a career WAR of 10.9 in 669 innings while Buchholz has a career WAR of 7.3 in 496.1 innings.

Masterson remains under his team's control for two more arbitration years working off his 2012 salary of $3,825 million. Under his contract extension, Buchholz will earn $3.5 million in 2012, $5.5 million in 2013, $7.7 million in 2014 and $12 million in 2015 with a $265,000 buyout of a $13 million option for 2016 and a $500,000 buyout of a $13.5 million option for 2017.

Given their respective struggles this season, Buchholz's contract would seem to be the riskier of the two.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In additionMasterson is as flexible a performer as Aceves. He was a multiple inning relief performer with trhe Sox. He is a succesasful starter.

I'm not saying he is twice as good as Buch but he is at a  minimum a better all around player than Buch. I think if Buch returns to the minors as other outstanding pitchers have, namely Halladay and Cliff Lee, he will show tremendous growth by the time he returns.

I would make that trade and probably with Youk-Youk and Buch for Masterson and OF Duncan. Youks salary is gone; a big lift.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Sorry if this offends you but you offend me and I'm sure a few others with your "M" and "I" words.

I'm sure you are deeply offended with "equal rights" Moonshwemp uses the "C" word in such a kind and considerate manner. LMAO!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Sorry if this offends you but you offend me and I'm sure a few others with your "M" and "I" words.

I'm sure you are deeply offended with "equal rights" Moonshwemp uses the "C" word in such a kind and considerate manner. LMAO!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Youk for Blanton. Youk owed 12m and Blanton 8m and each in final year of contract. Pitching for hitting. Spilt the difference of the contracts.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Actually, in this analogy, Middlebrooks is the other riding lawnmower you're keeping. The weedwacker would be the pitcher, prospect or whatever you'd get by selling the other lawnmower (Youk) at a cheaper price simply to fill another need.

Yes, precisely, and since I can't ride 2 riding lawnmowers at the same time, I won't even notice one is missing, but I sure will notice my new weedwhaker, since I didn't have one before and had to pull up all the weeds on my hands and knees.

The lawn will look much nicer now.

(I'm not saying give the other lawnmower away.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Masterson has potential, but just 1 year under a 1.500 WHIP the last 4 seasons is not what I call an upgrade.

Blanton? Then, split the difference in contracts? I wouldn't do this trade even if Philly paid all of Youk's deal. Plus, I'm not sure I'd bet on Blanton outpitching Buch or Bard the rest of the year. I'd just as soon get a propsect if that's all we can get, or just keep him since his value is worth more here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Kevin Youkilis' Rehab Being Monitored by Phillies, Indians -Masterson for Youkilis and Buchholz?:
    Sorry if this offends you but you offend me and I'm sure a few others with your "M" and "I" words. I'm sure you are deeply offended with "equal rights" Moonshwemp uses the "C" word in such a kind and considerate manner. LMAO!
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Yup.  Same old Softy with the same old tactics - those of a 7th grade girl who, when accused of something deflects it by saying, "But...but... but....Look what HE"S doing!" rather than take responsibility for his own actions. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His favorite ploy is to distract the attention away from his mistake, by bringing up (or inventing) a past mistake of yours, and using the faulty reasoning that if you made a mistake earlier with a position, then you are doomed to always being wrong and your opinions are forever useless, "idiotic" or "moronic".

If this were the case, then judging softy by his past would make him the mega "____". (insert any of his favorite ad hom attack words)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This thread deserves legs and should have a great discussion, but doesn't quite.

News alert.  The Sox have more good hitting outfielders on the DL than Carter has little liver pills.  Thus AGon has played RF in both NL and AL parks to make up for the loss of Ross and Sweeney, to say nothing of CC and Ells, and I'm not mentioning the other DL outfielders because they don't have good bats. 

Thus it's a pretty good bet that tonight Youk or Middlebrooks will be in LF, with Nava in RF, and Posednick (TB is starting a righty) in CF. 

Right now Youk and Middlebrooks are both hitting better than AGon, but no way will Bobby V pull him out of the lineup short of an injury. 

Tomorrow Price, a lefty, starts for TB, which is one more reason to expect Middlebrooks or Youk in LF even though Sweeney should come off the DL. 

Come Sunday and another righty starting for TB and Sweeney available, I'm thinking Bobby V will still put Middlebrooks or Youk in LF, Nava in RF, and Sweeney in CF because he is going to want to keep Pedroia batting 2d, then Ortiz, then AGon, then Youk (who has looked like the old Youk since he returned), then Middlebrooks, followed by a pretty productive bottom of the order with Salty/Shoppach, Nava, and Sweeney/Byrd/Posednick (or lead off with Sweeney and bat Aviles 9th). 

Given the desire to keep the much younger Middlebrooks, I think the Sox will want to keep playing Youk at 3B or 1B because that's where his trade value is.  Plus he has seniority.  Plus his last forays in the OF suggested he doesn't do well there. 

It's also possible AGon could play LF at Fenway, keeping Youk at 1B and Middlebrooks at 3B, but I think that's asking a lot.  On the other hand, the Sox are right now at .500 for the fourth time this season, and I'm thinking Bobby V wants to break through that barrier, especially against the TB Rays, who right now should be the favorites to win the AL East. 

In summary, I think the departure of Youkilis in the near term is very much in doubt.  The Sox own him and sure can use him.  Plus he is also pretty darn good insurance if another good bat goes on the DL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hmwazmo. Show hmwazmo's posts

Why would Arizona want Aviles as part of a trade for Upton? They would want the younger Iglesis who has more promise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Why would Arizona want Aviles as part of a trade for Upton? They would want the younger Iglesis who has more promise.

You don't seem to paying attention to "the off charts production" from the young Aviles and his cheap control costs. Simply read nearly every member of this Board on "how great Aviles is playing".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Why would Arizona want Aviles as part of a trade for Upton? They would want the younger Iglesis who has more promise. You don't seem to paying attention to "the off charts production" from the young Aviles and his cheap control costs. Simply read nearly every member of this Board on "how great Aviles is playing".
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Once again.  You aren't bright.  Iggy has a much higher upside longterm.  

Aviles can be having a very good year and a younger prospect could still have more value in a trade.  This does not mean the younger prospect is better now.

This is like explaining things to a child.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I still think Youk moves. He's shown he's still a solid Bat, and especially at 1st, he still has a good glove. As soon as he shows durability/consistancy, he'll be able to fetch a middle of the rotation arm. He isn't going to get an ace in return like some people hope, but he alone should be enough for a Masterson type.

Sections
Shortcuts