Report: Mets willing to cover Beltran’s salary in trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Report: Mets willing to cover Beltran’s salary in trade

Here's the link:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/18/report-mets-willing-to-cover-carlos-beltrans-remaining-salary-in-potential-trade/

OK, assuming the Mets can cover his salary to begin with, and since it would cost players and prospects, are we interested in trading for Beltran

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Report: Mets willing to cover Beltran’s salary in trade

In Response to Report: Mets willing to cover Beltran’s salary in trade:
    [QUOTE]Here's the link: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/18/report-mets-willing-to-cover-carlos-beltrans-remaining-salary-in-potential-trade/ OK, assuming the Mets can cover his salary to begin with, and since it would cost players and prospects, are we interested in trading for Beltran
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

If i was the Sox I think i would rather pay the Salary for a half a year and give them weaker prospects then to have the Mets pick up the Salary and want top tier players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Depends on the "prospects".

Lars Anderson, Felix Doubront, Ryan Kalish? Sure.

Reddick, Iglesias, and Middlebrooks? No thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Not sure I would give them Kalish or Doubront either....they are more valuable trade chips than to get a rental for two months....Lars Anderson I would agree....he has no future with the Sox....and is not even our top 1st base prospect anymore according Soxprospects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

You didn't allow for:  No...a top porspect or two is too much to pay for a rental player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Depends on the cost in prospects.  And is Beltran necessarily a rental?  I mean he may be a UFA and you might lose him if he gets a monster deal, but you'd have to think if he re-signed he can still play in the OF and could be a DH alternative if Ortiz walks or demands too much. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I like him as a short-term solution to the OF problem. If the Sox win the 2011 WS, he can walk just like they let Cabrera walk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Any idea what type of free agent Beltran would be if he walked?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Mets willing to cover Beltran’s salary in trade:
    [QUOTE]Any idea what type of free agent Beltran would be if he walked?
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Beltran can't be offered arbitration per his contract, so the Type A or B FA option is moot. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Yeah, but would Beltran be willing to platoon with Drew/DMac in RF?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Mets willing to cover Beltran’s salary in trade : Beltran can't be offered arbitration per his contract, so the Type A or B FA option is moot. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]
    :/ That's lame.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Depends on the "prospects". Lars Anderson, Felix Doubront, Ryan Kalish? Sure. Reddick, Iglesias, and Middlebrooks? No thanks.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]Y WOULD u GIVE UP ON FELIX? HOW MANY OF HIS TYPE ARE FLOATING OUT THERE? must be a single a like that bryce guy or even a rook league guy.. noone solid.. then again, we really do not need beltran. reddick/mac should do just fine going forward. y stunt the growth of reddy or y trade him for a 34 yo. u stick with it. i may try to make a play for reyes instead or get a garza for a stud lower prospect. our OF is fine. even for backups. navarro or sutton can go out there. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]You didn't allow for:  No...a top porspect or two is too much to pay for a rental player.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I concur, par.  That was one of the options I was going to put up, but the web page loaded unexpectedly and...there it was. My own answer is a flat no. I started the thread to see how out of touch I was...and I usually am. Wink

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Actually, this makes it easier for other teams to get in on Beltran, like Tampa, for instance.
    He does have the no trade clause, however.
    Why would a 3 time Golden Glover and multi time All-Star want to platoon with anyone? He'll go where he can play full time.
    He's been out the last 3 games with the flu.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

even if the mets are willing to cover beltrans salary, i would still not go anywhere near him. He is not the type of player we need. He is old, is not a great fielder and would cost more than he worth in terms of prospects. Reddick is doing a fine job so far. No need to trade for a rightfielder, save the prospects and use them to trade for a frontline pitcher. Our rotation is a mess. We need a frontline starter to replace buchholz. That guy is ubaldo jimenez. If not him then matt garza would be good too. But i would prefer jimenez.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'm with the beautiful blonde biker on this one. I agree with you CC completely.
    pretty smart girl aren't you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Seems we need a starting pitcher more than a RFer at the moment.  Unless we continue scoring 10+ runs the rest of the season.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]No. We need a right handed bat with some pop and a good defender, to boot. Beltran is frail. And overrated. Ryan Ludwick will come cheaper to boot.  Get it done, Theo.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    Beltran is a very good outfielder....yes he has lost a step but he is a 3 time Glod Glove outfielder. Beltran has 893 OPS and Ludwick has a 683 OPS......and due to Beltrans contract he probably wouldnt be more expensive than Ludwick....and obviously much better to boot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It will be very interesting what Theo does before the deadline. Probably something none of us are even speculating about.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Report: Mets willing to cover Beltran’s salary in trade : If i was the Sox I think i would rather pay the Salary for a half a year and give them weaker prospects then to have the Mets pick up the Salary and want top tier players.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was going to post when I saw the thread title.

He'd basically be a rental, so I wouldn't want to give up any great prospect.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Nyet interested.  Beltran for Drew, even up, maybe. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I could live with that deal, Max.

Sections
Shortcuts