Report problems on the Talk to BDC forum

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Report problems on the Talk to BDC forum

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

You have my vote, paw.thanks for the laugh, pumpsie,. You will get your vote Pike

i do think if this were to happen that only posters with X amount of posts (or service time) should be able to vote. if not, what's stopping someone from creating 10 names and voting?

Good point MEF...you are right: people with more than one screen name are still just one person and it would be difficult to make sure those people get just one vote. I think Dottie probably has a good idea of who is generally respected here and who is not. I would trust that she would choose wisely. I do think her choices, in the interest of transparency, should be made public.

I don't think you've thought this plan through. The annimosity that would transpire knowing that one of us could be the moderator would cause more trouble now than going the easy way of handling things with self control. Just like everything else in life, why wouldn't  personal responsibility once again be handed off?   I think we are all adults here. I know if I really wanted to ignore certain people I could. I just chose not to at the moment. But if I did get to the point that I needed someone to step in, I would rather walk away. One time way back when I asked a moderator for help, I lived to regret that choice.

Best advice, leave Dottie and the other moderators out of it. If you keep running to them, eventually they shut down the boards. If you have a problem, either ignore or hit the abuse button but end it there. Leave Dottie alone. She has already shared her thoughts and advice.... so take it and put it to use.

Fair enough, but I do not agree that an on site moderator would create more problems than it would solve. I think we need at least three of them whose names would be known, perhaps by an "admin" note on their avatar. Its nearly impossible, IMO, to adequately moderate this board unless you are here reading lots of posts every day. You cannot really fully ignore individuals because the ones you are ignoring are sometimes quoted by other posters who choose to respond to them. If we had on site mods Dottie would be LESS bothered by complaints since posters could complain to those people she appoints as her deputies here. As long as the on site folks do not go overboard and abuse their authority I think this is worth a try. If it doesn't work out we have lost nothing. You just unappoint them and things are back to the way they are now.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

You have my vote, paw.thanks for the laugh, pumpsie,. You will get your vote Pike

i do think if this were to happen that only posters with X amount of posts (or service time) should be able to vote. if not, what's stopping someone from creating 10 names and voting?

Good point MEF...you are right: people with more than one screen name are still just one person and it would be difficult to make sure those people get just one vote. I think Dottie probably has a good idea of who is generally respected here and who is not. I would trust that she would choose wisely. I do think her choices, in the interest of transparency, should be made public.

I don't think you've thought this plan through. The annimosity that would transpire knowing that one of us could be the moderator would cause more trouble now than going the easy way of handling things with self control. Just like everything else in life, why wouldn't  personal responsibility once again be handed off?   I think we are all adults here. I know if I really wanted to ignore certain people I could. I just chose not to at the moment. But if I did get to the point that I needed someone to step in, I would rather walk away. One time way back when I asked a moderator for help, I lived to regret that choice.

Best advice, leave Dottie and the other moderators out of it. If you keep running to them, eventually they shut down the boards. If you have a problem, either ignore or hit the abuse button but end it there. Leave Dottie alone. She has already shared her thoughts and advice.... so take it and put it to use.

Fair enough, but I do not agree that an on site moderator would create more problems than it would solve. I think we need at least three of them whose names would be known, perhaps by an "admin" note on their avatar. Its nearly impossible, IMO, to adequately moderate this board unless you are here reading lots of posts every day. You cannot really fully ignore individuals because the ones you are ignoring are sometimes quoted by other posters who choose to respond to them. If we had on site mods Dottie would be LESS bothered by complaints since posters could complain to those people she appoints as her deputies here. As long as the on site folks do not go overboard and abuse their authority I think this is worth a try. If it doesn't work out we have lost nothing. You just unappoint them and things are back to the way they are now.

You're missing the main point. Self control and personal responsibility. Even if you see the ignored persons quotes you still need to be adult enough to take control. The only time Dottie should get a complaint is if someone is in danger or has been threatened.  Other than that we should be adult enought to monitor ourselves and stop crying to mom (Dottie).

There is no way in h-e- two sticks your idea would work. Sorry. As soon as the moderators would be named, just as quickly the annimosity and fighting would ensue. For example, if Bill was put in charge there are a NUMBER of people that would take issue with that one. There is no one here that would be impartial. Sorry.  But, if Dottie gives it a green light it will surely be entertaining.

Come on now, do we really need a hall monitor?

Yes, we do. Unfortunately. Many posters have written that this forum has been going downhill. Having an on site moderator is not mutually exclusive with taking some responsibility for your own actions. I can't think of a single forum I have ever been on that has been totally unmoderated. There are people here who persistently engage in personal attacks and according to some, bigotry. Those kinds of posts have no place here. Nor do advertisements. These things can more easily be resolved with on site moderators. You might be right: it might not work. If it doesn't, we go back to the way it was. I think it WILL work, but I respect your opinion too.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

You're missing the main point. Self control and personal responsibility. Even if you see the ignored persons quotes you still need to be adult enough to take control. The only time Dottie should get a complaint is if someone is in danger or has been threatened.  Other than that we should be adult enought to monitor ourselves and stop crying to mom (Dottie).

I definitely agree with this...you hit the nail on the head. Everyone is free to ignore posters who bother them - whether with the actual ignore button that BDC kindly provided, or the good old fashioned way of just controlling yourself and not replying to them. If someone doesn't care for Softlaw or Pike or Georom or whoever, they don't have to read their posts or engage with them...simple as that. No one here can get under your skin if you don't allow them to, or force you to get into a back-and-forth with them.

I'm a fan of laissez-faire moderating (not that my opinion means anything)...given the above, I think the situations in which a moderator needs to step in to delete posts or ban posters should be very limited. However, if the board IS to be aggressively policed, I don't think having several "citizen moderators" who know the board well and have a stake in it would be the worst idea in the world.

There is no way in h-e- two sticks your idea would work. Sorry. As soon as the moderators would be named, just as quickly the annimosity and fighting would ensue. For example, if Bill was put in charge there are a NUMBER of people that would take issue with that one. There is no one here that would be impartial. Sorry.  But, if Dottie gives it a green light it will surely be entertaining.

I disagree that we couldn't find any posters who would be fair and responsible if entrusted with such a task. The likely problem is that, as with running for elected office, the best and most suitable probably wouldn't be interested (though Southpaw has volunteered, and I do think he'd do a good job).

Of course, it's all a moot point as this would never happen. Fun idea to toss around, though.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

No one here can get under your skin if you don't allow them to, or force you to get into a back-and-forth with them.

Just lurking, but I wanted to say I agree with the above sentence.

Took me a while to get it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Dottie: I tried posting on one of the threads today and it failed to appear. Then it finally appeared about six times (my fault; I guess I hit the post button that many times). Please fix this!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Dottie: I tried posting on one of the threads today and it failed to appear. Then it finally appeared about six times (my fault; I guess I hit the post button that many times). Please fix this!

I 2nd that for the last two days.....  It could have something to do with yesterdays events in Boston, the Internet was over used.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah, the site was acting up yesterday afternoon/evening. I think your right Bill. Lots of activity on here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

actually, Its still acting up today. Its lagging. I tried to edit a post and just create a post and it didnt take right away, if at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Solar flares?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

(I think)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

this site is screwy today...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I'm actually seeing screennames other than mine appearing up at the top. Don't know what that's about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm actually seeing screennames other than mine appearing up at the top. Don't know what that's about.

yeah, ive been dgalehouse, pumpise and a couple others since last evening. Im finally southpaw777 right now as we speak.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

same here. i've had it say Welcome, Softlaw2 at the top of the boards

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Welcome, Sheriff-Rojas

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

same here. i've had it say Welcome, Softlaw2 at the top of the boards

I was just going to complain about it calling me TV-Guy [Pike], but that's even worse. My condolences.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Its certainly screwy. My screen name came up as Zorro.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Anyone else seeing their posts several minutes after posting? It's 10:45 now, this might show up by midnight.

Sections
Shortcuts