Report: Red Sox agree to terms with Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Report: Red Sox agree to terms with Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers

Less than half a day into the new international free agent signing period, the Red Sox have already made a big splash.

ESPN Deportes' Dionisio Soldevila and MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reported on Twitter that the Sox have agreed to terms with 16-year-old third baseman Rafael Devers out of the Dominican Republic on a $1.5 million deal.

Devers is a 6-foot-1, 215-pound left-handed batter and right-handed thrower whose biggest strength is his bat. Baseball America credits him as being the third-ranked player available in this pool of international free agents, with his quick bat speed and compact swing helping make him "the most advanced left-handed hitter on the marker."

Defensively, Devers is more of a question mark. As he gets older and fills out, his power is expected to benefit while his defense and running could take a hit. If he can't keep his "round body type in check," as BA put it, a move across the diamond to first may be necessary.

The Red Sox have also been linked to a number of other international youngsters, including Venezuelan outfielder Freddy Rodriguez, Venezuelan southpaws Emmanuel DeJesus andJonathan Diaz, and Dominican outfielder Yohan Aybar, who turns 16 on Wednesday.

Devers's reported bonus represents a significant chunk of the nearly $3.2 million — a figurereported by BA — the Red Sox are allotted to use on international free agents this year.

Photo credit: scoutingbaseball.com.

Tim Healey is a staff writer for SoxProspects.com. Follow him on Twitter @timbhealey

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Re: Report: Red Sox agree to terms with Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers

OverTheMonster ‏@OverTheMonster 8m

Red Sox sign international free agent LHP Emmanuel DeJesus http://sbn.to/12bPaEN 

Expand 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Wow, a 16-year-old getting a $1.5 million deal.  Congrats to Rafael!!!   Laughing

When I was 16, I was making 1.5 million won (around $1,400) per month.   LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Wow, a 16-year-old getting a $1.5 million deal.  Congrats to Rafael!!!   Laughing

Ice-Cream... I don't usually post here (but am an avid reader of the message boards) and don't usually notice people's screennames... are you Korean? I noticed the WON reference... do you still live here?

Just curious... I'm from America (New Ham
    pshire), but I've been living in Seoul for the last six years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to tombirner's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ice-Cream... I don't usually post here (but am an avid reader of the message boards) and don't usually notice people's screennames... are you Korean? I noticed the WON reference... do you still live here?

[/QUOTE]

Hello tombirner   Laughing

Nice to meet you.  Yes, I am Korean.  

My family lives in Dogok-Dong (southern Seoul).  I live and work in White Plains, NY.  

Wow, six years in Seoul?  What do you do in the capital city?  

I hope you are enjoying your time in Seoul.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My family lives in Dogok-Dong (southern Seoul).  I live and work in White Plains, NY.  

[/QUOTE]

안녕하세요. 어떻게 당신은?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hwaiting. Show Hwaiting's posts

In response to PaulLaCourse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

안녕하세요. 어떻게 당신은?

[/QUOTE]

나도. 파주. 하지만 난 집에 토요일에 갈거야. 7. 내가 가야 시간입니다.

Small world eh :D

As for these signings, dever is awsome to hear.  I hope they get that young LHP they were gunning for too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

When I was 16 girls were my number one priority :)

Sections
Shortcuts