Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt?

The more I think about it, the more shameful I find it.  It just drives home the point that this management group views players only as #'s and commodities and has little appreciation for the human element of this game.  Bringing in some random, to throw on a uniform and pitch the biggest game of the year, pathetic.

Hey Theo, the regular season is over in a few hours, if this team doesn't have a guy to pitch tomorrow that is on you, don't embarress the Red Sox further with this stunt. 

Bring in Pedro and/or Schill for Thursday if you want to do something epic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt?

I would be more ashamed of Theo if he allowed Tito to start Wakefield in that game.

That would be suicide.

I'd take my chances with Lackey or Doubront before starting Wakefield or trading for a washed-up Bruce Chen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt?:
    The more I think about it, the more shameful I find it.  It just drives home the point that this management group views players only as #'s and commodities and has little appreciation for the human element of this game.  Bringing in some random, to throw on a uniform and pitch the biggest game of the year, pathetic.  Hey Theo, the regular season is over in a few hours, if this team doesn't have a guy to pitch tomorrow that is on you, don't embarress the Red Sox further with this stunt.  Bring in Pedro and/or Schill for Thursday if you want to do something epic.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Great post and I agree with you 100%.  Theo should have acquired someone when Dice-K was injured, which was a long-time ago. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt?:
    In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt? : Great post and I agree with you 100%.  Theo should have acquired someone when Dice-K was injured, which was a long-time ago. 
    Posted by susan250

Exactly. What an embarassment this season has become. Really Theo, Bruce Chen???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Lackey at least had a solid putting in ny and is known to be a big game pitcher. I'd roll the dice in him instead of anyone else.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

How about we look at from this perspective....at least Epstein is still trying...sorry but Lackey's feelings are the least of the concerns...If they do indeed get Chen then I'll be pulling hard for him...best case is that we win and the Rays lose tonight...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I would be more ashamed of Theo if he allowed Tito to start Wakefield in that game. That would be suicide. I'd take my chances with Lackey or Doubront before starting Wakefield or trading for a washed-up Bruce Chen.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

You start Lackey.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Man up and put Lackey in if there is a play-in game. Use multi-pen arms if Lackey struggles and get Buch in to start off an inning and try and get an inning or so from Buch. All hands on deck, except Wastefield.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The other piece to this puzzle, is IF, there is a 1 game play-off with TB and IF the Red Sox win that, then who do you throw game 1 on Friday?  Beckett would be on short rest, he could go on regular rest in game 2 and still come back to pitch game 5 on normal rest because of travel days.  Game 3 would be Lester on regular rest, but game 1 would likely have to be Lackey, Wake, or Miller I guess.  If you somehow steal that 1, you'd be loving your chances then!

Obviously getting way ahead of myself here......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4145298. Show user_4145298's posts

yes it would be pathetic, better call Alex Wilson up as a surprise as Lavarnway, call Okajima up, use 1-2 ip Buchholz, 1-2 Lackey, 1-2 Doubront, Tazawa or others from the pen

....or go like this also today, given the bad status of Lester, using him tomorrow with early hook

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff185. Show jeff185's posts

This would be a desperation move, you could pitch lackey for 3 innings and bring in clay for 3 and hope the bullpen can handle the rest, but either way we are in trouble.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Frankly, I don't give two cents about Lackey's feelings. His Lack of success this year, has been most of his own doing (personal problems aside). That being said, I think you give the ball to him, because I think he'll stand-up to the pressure. His last outing wasn't stellar, but it wasn't bad either.

As for this Bruce Chen rumor. Get real Theo!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

you stick with our team, our guys...flat out!  like a lizard drinking...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I would be more ashamed of Theo if he allowed Tito to start Wakefield in that game. That would be suicide. I'd take my chances with Lackey or Doubront before starting Wakefield or trading for a washed-up Bruce Chen.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Any disrespect that John or Wake would feel towards management bringing in a guy like Chen would be sensless.  We need a big win, I'm not saying Chen is the guy but neither are Wake or John have pitched well this season..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Go with Doubrount and then patchwork from the pen if he starts giving it up.  Lackey will give up 4 in the first inning and 3 more in the 3rd, you don't want that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedGatorSox. Show RedGatorSox's posts

You start Lackey.  Theo is paying him to be a playoff caliber starter and that was the idea from day 1 of his signing.  If he's injured, that would be one thing.  But, absent that, it's his time to shine and you give him the ball.  If he fails, it's just another reason to criticize the signing.  If he succeeds like he's supposed to, then it helps ease some of the pain of all the failures he has had since he got to Boston.  There's NO WAY you acquire Bruce Chen to come in and start a do-or-die playoff game only to flush him afterwards.  PERIOD.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if they do this i will root against the sox...i did not spend the entire year rooting foir a team so that they could have some mercenary with no ties to the organization start over a rested Miller (who i think is the best option)...shoot i would accept wake/weiland...anyone but this scenario

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Am I alone in not having a problem with this?  IMO it's like exploiting a loop-hole that the play-in game is not treated like a playoff.  Chen doesn't really thrill me, but what about trading Lars Anderson (or another blocked guy) and a rule 5 guy that we wouldn't sign anyway for Hiroki Kuroda, who is likely a type-b, possibly type a FA?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedGatorSox. Show RedGatorSox's posts

Am I alone in not having a problem with this?  IMO it's like exploiting a loop-hole that the play-in game is not treated like a playoff.   
    Posted by slomag

Obviously, the only goal the Sox should have is to win the game so they can make the playoffs.  So, from that perspective, I agree with you in not having a problem with exploiting a loophole in the rules.

The question really becomes is Chen or Kuroda, who are unfamiliar with this team, these catchers, this system, going to give you a better chance to win that game than Lackey or Wakefield.  Based on the way those two guys have pitched in the past few months, it's hard for me to stomp the ground for them.  But, both Wake and Lackey have pitched in big games in their career and do have that comfort level with this team.  I think there's something to be said for that and so I'd go with Lackey.  With that said, I have to swallow hard to put my trust in Lackey.  But, I still think it's the right move.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt? : Obviously, the only goal the Sox should have is to win the game so they can make the playoffs.  So, from that perspective, I agree with you in not having a problem with exploiting a loophole in the rules. The question really becomes is Chen or Kuroda, who are unfamiliar with this team, these catchers, this system, going to give you a better chance to win that game than Lackey or Wakefield.  Based on the way those two guys have pitched in the past few months, it's hard for me to stomp the ground for them.  But, both Wake and Lackey have pitched in big games in their career and do have that comfort level with this team.  I think there's something to be said for that and so I'd go with Lackey.  With that said, I have to swallow hard to put my trust in Lackey.  But, I still think it's the right move.   
    Posted by RedGatorSox

Don't forget - if we play and win tomorrow, we play the following two days as well, before getting a day off.  So if we get that far, the choices are 1) trust Lackey in the playin game and Wake in 1 or 2 of the ALDS or 2) pitch both Beckett & Bedard on three days rest.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

John Lackey will just sit and pout for the whole game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox considering Bruce Chen for the play-in game tomorrow; if they do, would John Lackey's feeling be hurt? : Don't forget - if we play and win tomorrow, we play the following two days as well, before getting a day off.  So if we get that far, the choices are 1) trust Lackey in the playin game and Wake in 1 or 2 of the ALDS or 2) pitch both Beckett & Bedard on three days rest.  
    Posted by slomag

Assuming it comes down to winning a play in game and then game 1 of the ALDS, I think you go with the "whoever is available/rested" option in game 1 then throw Beckett game 2 and Lester game 3 on normal rest. 

You would never do it intentionally but if you can steal a game 1 with a lesser starter that is a huge edge, think Wake in 2004 WS.  After the Red Sox win game 1 with Wake it is Schill/Pedro 4 times in the next 6 games, series over.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

+++++! !! second that.

Sections
Shortcuts