1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Report: Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester claimed on waivers-Is there any untouchabables on this team?

Hard to believe the Sox will let him go.  Awful year, granted. But he's definitely healthy and has a pretty good repertoire--fastball (93 mph), cutter, curve, changeup.  I think he and Buchholz are keys to rebuilding the rotation.  Beckett was not.  Lackey may not be, but he could get a shot in ST--ditto Doubront, et al. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Report: Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester claimed on waivers-Is there any untouchabables on this team?

let's get rid of pedroia, papi, buchholz, bailey, ells, ross, salty too.
    our entire team should be no-name prospects. 
    start making those jerseys with the 7x and 8x numbers on them now!
    cut payroll to under 40MM. 
    we are small market boston red sox after all.

fyi - this post is complete sarc

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Report: Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester claimed on waivers-Is there any untouchabables on this team?:
    [QUOTE]

brianmacp If the season ended today, the Red Sox would have the No. 11 pick in the draft's first round, their highest since 1993 (Trot Nixon, No. 7).

Having a higher draft pick will only help the Red Sox in the future.  Considering all of the recent trades, it is possible that the Red Sox will continue to lose games for the remainder of the season. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

No one is "untouchable" ... Felix Hernandez was claimed on waivers, although the Seattle Mariners reportedly pulled him back:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/241586689275998208

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/241590275116511232

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Since almost every player on every team gets put on the same waivers that Lester was on it is no big deal that he was on such a list.

Although no one is untouchable when your team is below .500 he would only get traded now if there was another team who just blew the Red Sox away with an offer.  This is not likely because the Sox would want young, major league guys and these guys are likely already part of why a team is in contention for a play off spot.

Lester will be much better next year.  Everyone/anyone can have a bad season.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Lester is still a better pitcher than Doub.  To trade him just to dump more salary I think would be a huge mistake.  He should be given another chance now that Josh is gone. 

Lackey yes but not Lester just yet. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I say we keep Jon Lester. 

Can you imagine if Lackey was the only one left: 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 2004Idiots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Felix Doubront ready to take aim at 200 innings next year
    By Brian MacPherson/Providence Journal
    ...His mission next season would be to pitch 200 innings.

"That would be the goal -- 200," he said. "This year, I've been feeling pretty good physically, and I think I can make it to 200 next year."

Are we sure we want that?

Out of all our starters with over 13 starts, Doubront has the highest WHIP at 1.473, thanks mostly to his 3.8 BB/9. He also has the worst QS% at 48%.

Out of our top  7 pitchers by IP, Doubront has the worst OBP (.341), SLG% (.444) and OPS against at .785.

The kid has promise, but I'm seeing what many psoters here did with Kalish- get all gushy over a fewshort glimpses of promise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Bill-806 comment:

When was the last time Lester moved a batter off the plate ???  If there is a deal & it is agood one, then do it Ben, just do it !!

imo lester should have been traded before now. he is not going to be better.
    hes been consistent. becasue he is a lefty, and what he was, we are acting liek hes untradable.
    we need better. by time they decide to trade him, he'll be unintersting to almost all teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to craze4soxs comment:

Lester is still a better pitcher than Doub.  To trade him just to dump more salary I think would be a huge mistake.  He should be given another chance now that Josh is gone. 

Lackey yes but not Lester just yet. 

lester not to dump, but to be better in the future, getting the most in trade.
    im on record as not wanting lackey back

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to susan250s comment:

In response to Report: Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester claimed on waivers-Is there any untouchabables on this team?:

brianmacp If the season ended today, the Red Sox would have the No. 11 pick in the draft's first round, their highest since 1993 (Trot Nixon, No. 7).

Having a higher draft pick will only help the Red Sox in the future.  Considering all of the recent trades, it is possible that the Red Sox will continue to lose games for the remainder of the season. 

hi susan,
    did you see my thread on this?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

This team needs more quality starting pitching, not to trade away any of the quality starting pitching we do have.  It makes no sense to trade away a guy in a down year who really isn't owed a whole hell of a lot of money considering what quality starting pitchers get.  

Lester should be our own version of Andy Pettitte, but the people in the media try to turn the fans against the players.  I really enjoyed the run we had with the Sox over the past decade and until this year we avoided the game that used to always be played in this town with the media.  I wonder if the globe selling their portion of the Red Sox is a spring board for why this is happening on top of the performance of the team.

In a nutshell, you in no way shape or form trade Lester period.  That is of course unless you want to stink as a team for even longer than we are going to.   

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts