Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days

It just gets worse, doesn't it?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/30/report-red-sox-pitchers-drank-beer-during-games-on-their-off-days/

http://bostonherald.com.nyud.net/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2011_0930titos_time_may_be_up_in_trying_season_clubhouse_got_away_from_managers_style/srvc=home&position=0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days

Probably their beer farts contributed to the city's methane gas problem, too,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

the easy answer is,  no beer in the clubhouse.

the real answer is, the players need to work out the way they did when they were trying to become the major league players they have and being paid millions to do it.

post game Wednesday Jim Rice was asked if he felt the condition of the players was an issue. his response was telling, "the players need to realize they're going to work, not a spa".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Whoever becomes the next Red Sox Manager, the most important characteristic will be "toughness" in terms of rules, fundamentals, clubhouse demeanor, workout schedules and team chemistry. I don't care if we lose 162 next year, I want to see this malaise stopped and stopped right now. Blow this team up now!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Tomase wrote that & you guys believe it? How gullible are you? Did you forget the debacle he created before the SB? He's not a credible source, or he'd still be covering the Patriots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm not sure Lackey is fat enough!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

CLEAN OUT THAT DEN OF "DESPICABLE STUPIDITY" RIGHT NOW !!!  NO LESS THAN 12 PLAYERS NEED TO GO !!!   GET AT IT , THEO !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days:
      CLEAN OUT THAT DEN OF "DESPICABLE STUPIDITY" RIGHT NOW !!!  NO LESS THAN 12 PLAYERS NEED TO GO !!!   GET AT IT , THEO !!!
    Posted by Bill-806
    OK Bill. Who are your 12 and who are your replacements?

The market is over reacting at this point. This team needs to be tweaked not blown up. Blowing it up won't be a rebuild on the fly, it will be the beginning of a process.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

..trying to be the best that they can be- that's why they get the big bucks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Pitch like crap every 5th day while earning good money, and drinking beer in the Sox clubhouse?  I was built for that job!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox pitches apparently like beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDKwpbkIpQ4&feature=related

Cameos by an entire starting rotation: Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey and Tim Wakefield.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/07/hell_yeah_red_s.html?comments=all#comments

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days:
    In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : OK Bill. Who are your 12 and who are your replacements? The market is over reacting at this point. This team needs to be tweaked not blown up. Blowing it up won't be a rebuild on the fly, it will be the beginning of a process.
    Posted by fivekatz

Gone:
    Lackey
    Albers
    Wakefield
    Jenks
    Varitek
    Lowrie
    Youikilis
    DMac

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Can anyone imagine being blamed for losing games because you're drinking beer while you're NOT pitching, and have no chance to be in the game? Hilarious.

This whole blaming players not even in the game is getting out of control.

FTR, I've never heard of this happening to any team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

Can anyone imagine being blamed for losing games because you're drinking beer while you're NOT pitching, and have no chance to be in the game? Hilarious. This whole blaming players not even in the game is getting out of control.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

What if drinking beer on your day off prevented you from getting you in the condition you needed to be in on the day that you do play?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : What if drinking beer on your day off prevented you from getting you in the condition you needed to be in on the day that you do play?
    Posted by null

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that other teams' pitchers weren't drinking beer on their days off. My bad. I guess I didn't realize that because I've never heard anyone even mention it or care about it before. You're right. All the players in the game had nothing to do with the losses, it was the guys not playing, supposedly, drinking beer that was the reason. It's so obvious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Can anyone imagine being blamed for losing games because you're drinking beer while you're NOT pitching, and have no chance to be in the game? Hilarious. This whole blaming players not even in the game is getting out of control. FTR, I've never heard of this happening to any team. 
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Beckett gained TWENTY pounds during the year and faded terribly in September - scouts everywhere said he was done after 90 pitches...did you think pounding beers hurt his pitching and the team? wake up please...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that other teams' pitchers weren't drinking beer on their days off. My bad. I guess I didn't realize that because I've never heard anyone even mention it or care about it before. You're right. All the players in the game had nothing to do with the losses, it was the guys not playing, supposedly, drinking beer that was the reason. It's so obvious.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Beckett looked just awful...so out of shape and its not comparable to Sabathia who is a much bigger man....Beckett needed to be in way better shape and it showed at the end.  Whoever comes in needs to address that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : Beckett gained TWENTY pounds during the year and faded terribly in September - scouts everywhere said he was done after 90 pitches...did you think pounding beers hurt his pitching and the team? wake up please...
    Posted by georom4

See this part of being in shape I can agree with. I never bought the attitude that they weren't in shape to start the season as the reason for the 2-10 start. If they were in that bad of shape they wouldn't have turned it around as quickly and have the best record in baseball for the next 4 1/2 months. I just think it was just one of those funks baseball teams have and for them, it happened the first two weeks of the season. (And by all accounts, guys like Beckett and Ortiz came in to spring in shape and what we've been hearing since the end of the season has been in-season stuff, not spring training, so I'm not going to guess at what they did or didn't due then.)

But not staying in shape during the season I can buy 100 percent for the September fade. Simply drinking beer on the off days isn't a big deal in of itself. It's how much, first, and also, what else they are doing or not doing on their days off.

If a player gains weight during the season because of workouts and a routine to make sure he doesn't wear down, that's fine -- unusual, but fine.

But if Beckett gained 20 pounds during the season because of not doing his work, drinking and not eating right, then yes, that's a problem that certainly needs to be addressed. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : Beckett gained TWENTY pounds during the year and faded terribly in September - scouts everywhere said he was done after 90 pitches...did you think pounding beers hurt his pitching and the team? wake up please...
    Posted by georom4

The poster is not interested in reality and would defend pitchers doing heroin on their day off in the clubhouse so long as they were members of the Red Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : OK Bill. Who are your 12 and who are your replacements? The market is over reacting at this point. This team needs to be tweaked not blown up. Blowing it up won't be a rebuild on the fly, it will be the beginning of a process.
    Posted by fivekatz

Agree 100 percent. And if a problem player owns up to his mistakes and is accountable then I think they can be part of the solution. Players can make mistakes and not be total bad guys. If they have any sort of personal and professional pride, they'll be embarrassed and could actually be part of the solution.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am sure most players drink beer after the games. To do it in the clubhouse while the game is in progress is disrespectful and unprofessional, to say the least. The Sox starters were obviously out of shape, and they were the number one reason for the team's September collapse. There should be no downplaying or excusing this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Let's get one thing straight too.

Beer in the clubhouse isn't a problem. Many players and managers have a beer after a game.

The problem first is whether or not they're doing their proper workouts on off days or before games or whenever they're supposed to do it.

Then the problem is drinking during the game and how much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Posted by georom4

I'm just sorry he didn't show up with the extra twenty...or fifty or so that Sabbathia showed up with. He may not have had as much of a problem. But Yankees don't drink beer on their off days, so what am I talking about? And since there's no history of it even being discussed before, I'm also assuming that no other team in MLB history has pitchers who drink beer on their days off.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : I'm just sorry he didn't show up with the extra twenty...or fifty or so that Sabbathia showed up with. He may not have had as much of a problem. But Yankees don't drink beer on their off days, so what am I talking about? And since there's no history of it even being discussed before, I'm also assuming that no other team in MLB history has pitchers who drink beer on their days off.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Sabathia and Beckett are totally different, Sabathia is a big man who carries his weight differently.  Beckett is a small guy especially in comparison to Sabathia and the extra weight that Beckett carries is much more detrimental to his athletic performance than Sabathia's. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Pitch like crap every 5th day while earning good money, and drinking beer in the Sox clubhouse?  I was built for that job!
    Posted by chuchos

Amen.  Cut me off a slice of that.

Sections
Shortcuts