Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : The poster is not interested in reality and would defend pitchers doing heroin on their day off in the clubhouse so long as they were members of the Red Sox.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

LOL. Gotta hand it to you, Mikey. That was pretty funny.

I guess you defending Sabbathia has absolutely no bearing on him being on the Yankees, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : LOL. Gotta hand it to you, Mikey. That was pretty funny. I guess you defending Sabbathia has absolutely no bearing on him being on the Yankees, right?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't, they are two totally different body types.  Beckett is small man that has ballooned up.  While CC has always been a big guy.  Beckett needs to lose weight.  They both should in order to be more healthy but the weight hinders Beckett.  Thanks for the kudos Pike Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Apparently not every player follows the advice of the Red Sox nutritionist:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2011/08/20/alfredo-aceves-credits-improved-nutrition-for-success-with-red-sox/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Imagine if Albers was in the clubhouse gulping down beers and a clubhouse attendant came in and told him he was needed in the bullpen and he grabbed his glove and was unsteady on his feet and wobbly walking to the bullpen.

Hilarious !     .......   worth the price of a ticket.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Some of the reaction to all of this has become almost comical.

So what the heck...

How many of you did not want a drink this September after watching 7 innings of the RS play?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Red Sox pitchers drank beer during games on their off days : What if drinking beer on your day off prevented you from getting you in the condition you needed to be in on the day that you do play?
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

What if drinking beer on your day off caused you to trip on a practice mound in Toronto and sprain your ankle?

Both fair questions.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I strongly suggest many of you read Jim Bouton's BALLFOUR.
    The escapades of ballplayers is hardly a revelation.

Babe Ruth might have been the best ever, and look how he lived.
    If ever the team needed to get sloshed, it was in September.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Yes Harness because we know baseball in the 1920s and 30s was exactly like it is now 80 years later....they still take the train for travel, pitchers still pitch complete games every four days, and star players like pujols and agonz still down 2 six packs a beer and a ten pack of dogs every game, and the Negro Leagues are still producing great unknown players....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Yes Harness because we know baseball in the 1920s and 30s was exactly like it is now 80 years later....they still take the train for travel, pitchers still pitch complete games every four days, and star players like pujols and agonz still down 2 six packs a beer and a ten pack of dogs every game, and the Negro Leagues are still producing great unknown players....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Same game. Pitch da ball. Hit da ball. Catch da ball.

Difference is in today's high-stress market...more reason to get clocked.
    Wells pitched hung-over. He did o.k.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

[QUOTE]I strongly suggest many of you read Jim Bouton's BALLFOUR. The escapades of ballplayers is hardly a revelation. Babe Ruth might have been the best ever, and look how he lived. If ever the team needed to get sloshed, it was in September.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

What type of pitching was Babe Ruth hitting off of?  Generally players need to be in shape to compete against other players that are in shape.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is comical how some posters try to spin things when their own personal favorites are at fault. Try to be honest , objective and consistent as Red Sox fans. Don't come around with a bunch of nonsense to defend your own personal fair haired boys.  The Red Sox starting pitchers were absolutely horrendous down the stretch, obviously out of shape, and if their personal behaviour was responsible, then they should be held accountable , and their loyal supporters on here should recognize this.  Let's stop with the nonsense. Every baseball fan in the country knows what a joke this team has become. And, the starting pitchers are the main reason for it.  Get real.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

[QUOTE]It is comical how some posters try to spin things when their own personal favorites are at fault. Try to be honest , objective and consistent as Red Sox fans. Don't come around with a bunch of nonsense to defend your own personal fair haired boys.  The Red Sox starting pitchers were absolutely horrendous down the stretch, obviously out of shape, and if their personal behaviour was responsible, then they should be held accountable , and their loyal supporters on here should recognize this.  Let's stop with the nonsense. Every baseball fan in the country knows what a joke this team has become. And, the starting pitchers are the main reason for it.  Get real.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    I'm a Yankee fan and I think to say the Sox have a become a joke is a bit much.  Clearly some players were out of shape and Beckett is the biggest case of that, if he had some pride in being a professional athlete you would think he would be in better shape, he got really chubby.  I think he will come back in better shape next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The locker room environment sounded like it was horrible, certainly not conducive to winning. Anyone who would defend drinking in the context of the locker room dysfunction we had this season is a hopeless homer. There was clearly a lack of fierce commitment to winning. And yes, believe it or not, conditioning does help you perform at the highest levels in sports and beer drinking in not an integral part of that process. Anyone who is defending these kinds of antics is in very deep denial.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Some things that might seem like loose, harmless fun -- not judging the beer drinking one way or another -- is magnified when the team is losing.

I remember reading stories in Baseball Digest when I was a kid of stories of bullpen goings on. Players having fans buy them a hot dog or at one stadium, calling out to a nearby deli for some sandwiches.

If your team does things like that and win, it's a loose clubhouse of "Idiots." Smile

If your team does things like that and lose, it's a bad clubhouse of IDIOTS!. Yell

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

only in boston do you think this is a story...everyone else has moved on to the playoffs and football...men drinking beer on their day off...wow

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]The locker room environment sounded like it was horrible, certainly not conducive to winning. Anyone who would defend drinking in the context of the locker room dysfunction we had this season is a hopeless homer. There was clearly a lack of fierce commitment to winning. And yes, believe it or not, conditioning does help you perform at the highest levels in sports and beer drinking in not an integral part of that process. Anyone who is defending these kinds of antics is in very deep denial.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Bootom line: NO DISCIPLINE!
    I've been saying all along that Francona let's the players do whatever they want and avoids controntation at every turn. It's easier for him to ignore the issues than to take resposibility and fix problems. He is a poor leader, plain and simple.
    I also blame Varitek. As captain, his job is to get the team to work together and inspire a sense of loyalty and determination. He failed.

This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i still don't get this...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

So I am very curious as to how many other team's starting pitchers on their days off drink beer in the clubhouse before and/or during games? Could this be a normal practice? I so hope not. Are we over reacting? I don't think so...hmm.Undecided

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDKwpbkIpQ4&feature=youtu.be

The Sox clubhouse is very small.    Hardly any way they could have avoided getting caught drinking beer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Never had a thread go this long before.

Must have tapped into somethin'.

Wish I knew what it was...

Sections
Shortcuts