Report: Sox looking to upgrade at catcher, not happy with salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Report: Sox looking to upgrade at catcher, not happy with salty

There was an article on bleacher report today that sighted recent comments from buster olney that other execs beieve the sox are looking into acquiring an upgrade over salty behind the plate sooner rather than later. in terms of in house options, ryan lavarnway is the obvious choice, but the question is, is he really an upgrade? i would say he deserves a shot before we look to deal for anyone. in terms of the trade market, our options are pretty limited. The first name that comes to mind and perhaps the most likely target is Brian McCann. The braves have a replacement in evan gattis and a prospect who could be the eventual catcher of the future for them. McCan is in his walk year and the chances of him being re-signed are slim. The braves will likely be open to moving him for the right price. McCann is 29, can hit and plays pretty good d. I would be all for going after him as we could really use an upgrade at catcher. what do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Report: Sox looking to upgrade at catcher, not happy with salty

The bleacher report is a pile of garbage writers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tek-9. Show Tek-9's posts

yea I find you should never trust bleacher report. Theres too much noise mixed in with the real writers 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Salty is a DH in waiting. I'm not a hater though. If the Sox don't want him as their catcher then they should do whatever they need to do as far as upgrading is concerned. Just don't trading off every top tier prospect in order too acquire said upgrade. The last time I checked the team was winning and like my dear old dad used too say if it ain't broke don't try to fix it...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lavarnway deserves a shot, but right now the Sox are the best team in the game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lavarnway deserves a shot, but right now the Sox are the best team in the game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am not a big fan of Salty, but I would not do anything as long as the team keeps winning.

Thye already "fixed" it by sending Iggy down... we could easily take on Lava and dish Salty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I'm in Milwaukee and only see a few nationally televised games but from what I've read it seems many fans who know the game well and other reports from execs around MLB seem happy with Salty's defensive work overall. Still room for improvement but among catcher in MLB he is par for the course decent. Lavarney with hard work may over take Salty in time but from numerous scouting reports on his defensive works he doesn't seem ready. Below is one such report.

Defensively, he has indeed shown some improvements, but his range, reaction time, and agility are still below-average. Ultimately, he may be best suited as a platoon catcher who also spends some time as a designated hitter. 

My hunch is that many fans have made up thier minds that Salty needs to go and no matter what he does they'll never be satisfied, the same thing can be said for Drew as well. If he wasn't a Drew many would probably be willing to him more time.

Just my observations from afar.

Hetch  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

There was an article on bleacher report today that sighted recent comments from buster olney that other execs beieve the sox are looking into acquiring an upgrade over salty behind the plate sooner rather than later. 

The most important revelation from Olney was:

"front office executive who spoke on condition of anonymity said there are those around the league who feel Salty just doesn't work hard enough on his defense since he can hit -- this wouldn't be the most surprising thing to learn, given Boston had trouble unloading him this winter when they made him available to trade. "

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/5/1/4290514/red-sox-jarrod-saltalamacchia-trade-rumors

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Not a big fan of Salty. K's to much and too hot and cold for me. Pitchers always seem to have better #'s when working w/ other catcher not a good sign. Can you win w/ Salty as the C - yes. But an upgrade would be nice. Mike Zunino of M's would be a great choice but would take an awful lot to get, but would have a great catcher for the next 10 yrs.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty is a decnt hitting catcher, but not good enough to DH, except maybe for Houston.

He's the 17th best hitting catcher this year out of the 37 with 40+ PAs. That's not good enough to DH. .755 is not what a contender's DH should put up.

His defense has improved, except for throwing out runners.

He's still young enough to keep improving, as VTek proved after age 29-30, but if this work ethic issue is for real, then my guess is, he will be traded.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Every report I've heard on salty is that he has been an incredibly hard worker

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

There was an article on bleacher report today that sighted recent comments from buster olney that other execs beieve the sox are looking into acquiring an upgrade over salty behind the plate sooner rather than later. in terms of in house options, ryan lavarnway is the obvious choice, but the question is, is he really an upgrade? i would say he deserves a shot before we look to deal for anyone. in terms of the trade market, our options are pretty limited. The first name that comes to mind and perhaps the most likely target is Brian McCann. The braves have a replacement in evan gattis and a prospect who could be the eventual catcher of the future for them. McCan is in his walk year and the chances of him being re-signed are slim. The braves will likely be open to moving him for the right price. McCann is 29, can hit and plays pretty good d. I would be all for going after him as we could really use an upgrade at catcher. what do you guys think?

Bleacher report really?

If the Sox felt they could land McCann it's possible they may explore it but I still say Salty controls his own destiny in Boston this season.  He needs to keep his OBP around where it currently is and possibly raise his BA before getting a long term deal in my opinion.  As far as Lav?  He deserves the same opportunity ASAP if Salty can't cut it, otherwise I hope we trade Lav so he gets the opportunity to play elsewhere. 

It's only fair!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We will see "trade for Carlos Santana" threads soon enough.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

McCann is a real good Catcher, but I thought injuries has hurt him recently. Ross and McCann would be a real good tandem, if he is healthy.
    What would Braves want too, cant give away Prospects, just when the Farm is starting to get stronger. Tough decision.

Tim Kurkjian is my favorite reporter. Almost always right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

When Varitek couldn't hit his weight, we wanted him in the game because of how he handled the staff.  Salty is an above-average catcher offensively, and a very good one from the left side, our staff is the best in baseball right now, and we're looking to replace him.  I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it becomes broke, Lavarnway has earned a shot at starting, and Christian Vazquez opened some eyes in Spring Training - he has a .396 OBP at Portland right now.  I don't think we need to look outside the organization for catchers right now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

When Varitek couldn't hit his weight, we wanted him in the game because of how he handled the staff.  Salty is an above-average catcher offensively, and a very good one from the left side, our staff is the best in baseball right now, and we're looking to replace him.  I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it becomes broke, Lavarnway has earned a shot at starting, and Christian Vazquez opened some eyes in Spring Training - he has a .396 OBP at Portland right now.  I don't think we need to look outside the organization for catchers right now.

I agree. When you have the best record n baseball a disruptive trade could demoralize the team. The other thing that is obvious: its just not going to happen, not in early May. Maybe in July if the team has come back down to earth, but there is not a snowball's chance in hell that Salty is going anywhere any time soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Thats the toughest part about being a GM, do you stay status quo, or do you think by adding someone makes you a stronger team?
    Then there's the transaction, if the team your dealing with will make the move, do you weaken yourself in the future. This is a big mistake most teams do, as most fans. They think that winning now should be the philosophy. The thing is how do you know, if you bring up a kid, and he is ready now, just happens to be in the Minors.

At this point I agree, team is winning, playing hard, grinding baseball. No reason to look elsewhere at this time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

In response to Tek-9's comment:

yea I find you should never trust bleacher report. Theres too much noise mixed in with the real writers 

Where did you get the pic to Ted in his Marine fighter. Wow, I was stunned. Way to go!!!!!

Just Googled "ted Williams in Marine Fighter and this came up. Pretty cool page.

http://tinyurl.com/bswss6q

Hetch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

It is welcome news to this fan. Olney is a good reporter. I know zero about the bleacher report but harken to Buster. I truely believed management was happy with salty to my dismay. I think both Lavy and satly are DHs at best. Esposito is probably the best bet down the line. Better baseball teams are very strong "up the middle" and we are really weak at "number two". McCann as a rental is ok if not too expensive but I would really like to get Mauer and I do believe it is possible. We have lots of parts that have been overachieving and lots of quality prospects and at least three catchers we could throw at Minn.

Whos Esposito?

WE had a Louis Exposito, but got rid of his sorry azz a couple years ago. I believe baltimore just gave him his outright release too.

Heres a link to our depth charts

http://soxprospects.com/201213OS.htm

Christian Vasquez, IMO, will be the next Sox FT catcher for a long time. He could be here sometime next year and definitely by 2015, unless he gets injured or has a huge regression. Hes done great so far in AA, so Im not too worried about his ability behind the dish and at the plate.

Not sure why you want to pay a high BA/OBP guy with no power and a history of injuries that will move him off the position before 2018 23M per. Mauer is no where near worth that. That would be a total waste of money and good prospects. We have internal options.

Sections
Shortcuts