Reports say St.Louis checked in on the availability of Stephen Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Reports say St.Louis check in on the availability of Stephen Drew

Heard today that the Cards called BC and asked what it would take for them to give up veteran SS Stephen Drew. I dont know any more than that.

St.Louis has a deep farm system thet could help the Sox depending on what they are willing to give up for a premium position player. BC already said hes not taking away from the MLB roster and with Iggy already reverting back to his old offensive ways, losing Drew would make them worse on defense and offensively too.

Should they move Drew for a package of prospects and HOPE that Iggy starts to hit again and that one of BOgey or Middy can do well?  Do they go get a Michael Young to play the FT 3b slot IF they decide to move Drew? Or do they keep Drew and not take any chances losing both offense and defense at a permium position?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Reports say St.Louis check in on the availability of Stephen Drew

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Heard today that the Cards called BC and asked what it would take for them to give up veteran SS Stephen Drew. I dont know any more than that.

St.Louis has a deep farm system thet could help the Sox depending on what they are willing to give up for a premium position player. BC already said hes not taking away from the MLB roster and with Iggy already reverting back to his old offensive ways, losing Drew would make them worse on defense and offensively too.

Should they move Drew for a package of prospects and HOPE that Iggy starts to hit again and that one of BOgey or Middy can do well?  Do they go get a Michael Young to play the FT 3b slot IF they decide to move Drew? Or do they keep Drew and not take any chances losing both offense and defense at a permium position?

Drew defense?   Iggy better defense. Move to short ...Trade for Young... Young better offense then Drew ...Plus right handed bat.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Reports say St.Louis checked in on the availability of Stephen Drew

I'm not sure how moving Iggy to SS makes us worse defensively, unless whoever plays 3B is poor.

I don't see us trading Drew, unless we pick up a 3Bman somewhere else (Young or A Ramirez?).

I also doubt we get anything valuable for Drew. His contract makes him more of a salary dump type player than one worthy of a good prospect in return.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

if st.louis offered us a legit prospect for drew then absolutely i would deal him if i was bc. we have boegarts knocking at the door who could play 3rd or ss and middlebrooks who can play 3rd which would allow iggy to go back to ss. plus we could potentially use those prospects to go towards getting someone line peavy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I'm on the side of keeping Drew; he's had hard luck with injuries this season, starting with the spring training concussion, which have kept his offensive numbers down, but I consider him above average both defensively and with the bat.  Still hoping they pick up Young for veteran depth.  Nothing like good vets come playoff time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Middlebrooks and/or Bogaerts were better options than Drew, why aren't they here now?

Maybe Ben likes Boggy better, but is protecting his years of service, but Ben obviously has more faith in Drew than Middy right now.

I'm not saying I agree, but I do not see Ben trading Drew, unless we pick up Michael Young or A Ramirez or some other 3Bman.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not sure how moving Iggy to SS makes us worse defensively, unless whoever plays 3B is poor.

I don't see us trading Drew, unless we pick up a 3Bman somewhere else (Young or A Ramirez?).

I also doubt we get anything valuable for Drew. His contract makes him more of a salary dump type player than one worthy of a good prospect in return.

all around defensively Moon...Young doesnt have good defense at 3b, thus making us worse defensively. This isnt a Drew/Iggy comparison at SS, its an all around virew of the left side.

Iggy at 3b and Drew at SS is better than Iggy at SS and Young at 3b as a whole.

I agree with you that I dont think they trade Drew. Personally, like I said above, its too risky to rely on Middy or Bogey and Young makes us worse defensively.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great OP from Southpaw because it starts a good conversation starting with the amazing observation that Drew is not universally regarded as a complete dud as he is by many on this board.

Drew at SS and Iglesias at 3B are a pretty good defensive left half of the infield, and both can hit despite issues/slumps.  If Drew leaves, the defense will in fact and inevitably be worse.  Iglesias going to SS will leave a hole at 3B.  I don't know how important that is, but do know the Sox have a better than expected ERA this year, which might have been helped by the defense. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

all around defensively Moon...Young doesnt have good defense at 3b, thus making us worse defensively. This isnt a Drew/Iggy comparison at SS, its an all around virew of the left side.

I agree with you that I dont think they trade Drew. Personally, like I said above, its too risky to rely on Middy or Bogey and Young makes us worse defensively.

I was not saying Iggy/Young were better defensively than Drew/Iggy. 

I know Middy was struggling defensively erlier this year, but I am not sure Drew at SS and Iggy at 3B is better defensively than Iggy at SS and Middy or Boggy at 3B. It may be close to even, but I would not say it is clear that Drew is better defensively than Middy or Boggy.

I do not want Michael Young. Drew is better defensively and offensively vs RHPs. Young has struggled vs LHPs this year, so maybe he is not even much of an offensive upgrade vs LHPs. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

There is a Baseball God afterall !!!!    Do it in a HEARTBEAT !!!!    Bogarts to 3rd, Iggy to SS and next year Middlebrooks (if still here) can play 1st base !!!!

I'm not against the idea, but what if Boggy struggles? Do you really want to enter the playoffs with Holt at 3B?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

this is not a thread on the merits of Drew. it is a thread that you have to give something to get something back. giving up Drew and his half season of control for bullpen help, most likely is more appealing to the Sox than giving up a top 15 prospect. I suspect that it would be Middlebrooks coming up first, as the Sox would really not lose anything offensively with Iggy/Middlebrooks vs Iggy/Drew, and the defense with Iggy at SS and Middlebrooks at 3B would be an uptick....I could also see Boegardts coming along in August to get his feet wet and see how he responds.

I am all for asset protection. This team can get to the playoffs with its current roster and some tweaks...first tweak must be BP arms. Lester and Buch hopefully puitching in August like they did in May. Giving up Drew to go for it this year is imo the correct move to improve the team

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I was not saying Iggy/Young were better defensively than Drew/Iggy. 

I know Middy was struggling defensively erlier this year, but I am not sure Drew at SS and Iggy at 3B is better defensively than Iggy at SS and Middy or Boggy at 3B. It may be close to even, but I would not say it is clear that Drew is better defensively than Middy or Boggy.

I do not want Michael Young. Drew is better defensively and offensively vs RHPs. Young has struggled vs LHPs this year, so maybe he is not even much of an offensive upgrade vs LHPs. 

Middlebrooks was struggling defensively, but you don't think subtracting Drew and adding Will to the left side will hurt the defense??

Drew may not being hitting, but he hasn't been struggling at defense.

He's been quite good.

I know you think it's a crime that Iggy isn't playing SS, but this makes no sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

There is a Baseball God afterall !!!!    Do it in a HEARTBEAT !!!!    Bogarts to 3rd, Iggy to SS and next year Middlebrooks (if still here) can play 1st base !!!!

Yeah, and according to you, Lavarnway was the next Fisk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Not crazy about banishing any of our men to a leper colony, and dont want any ex-Cardinals here. Punto was enough.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I think it might be time to bring Middlebrooks back up....I don't think his defense was ever a big problem. His 60 K's to 9 BB's at the MLB level was the worse thing I saw with him...you have got to be more selective and force the pitchers to throw you strikes if you want to succeed. In Pawtucket he has struck out 27 times vs 13 BB's....that's a much better 2-1 ratio...if he can do that he will help us a lot. At least a lot more than Michael Young or A Ramiriz hobbling around on his bad knees would. Trading Drew would be a big step....but Iglesias is a lot better defensive SS...and it isn't close in my opinion. The other day in the game Price pitched there were 6 defensive plays at SS...three that Drew couldn't make and three that Escobar made that really were the difference in the game...Drew is very steady at SS but his range is bad and he can't jump.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Weren't they looking to unload Freese?  That would be a fair swap.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bogaerts starting at 3b for Pawtucket tonight. Looks like theyre preparing for a possible call up or switch of positions.

Iggy sitting tonight. Good move since hes been struggling a lot lately. give him a blow for a game or 2.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I would hope Ben would be looking to get back a MLB ready RP.  Sox do not need to salary dump.  he's on a 1 year deal that is more than half over, and the sox saved a gazillion dollars 1 year ago.  was drew overpaid this year?  imo - yes.  but that boat has sailed....no sense selling him now unless we are upgrading our ML club

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

HoltIn response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not against the idea, but what if Boggy struggles? Do you really want to enter the playoffs with Holt at 3B?

Holt is not a bad player        Jerry Adair, Bill Mueller type !!!

So you think Holt is a potential batting champion (Bill Mueller)?  You truly are clueless.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

HoltIn response to moonslav59's comment:

Holt is not a bad player        Jerry Adair, Bill Mueller type !!!

So you think Holt is a potential batting champion (Bill Mueller)?  You truly are clueless.

Did not say that ............  As DAD would say..............   "SON, anything can happen in a short series" !!!!!!

Undecided

Sections
Shortcuts