Reports say St.Louis checked in on the availability of Stephen Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Reports say St.Louis checked in on the availability of Stephen Drew

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Not crazy about banishing any of our men to a leper colony, and dont want any ex-Cardinals here. Punto was enough.

How about Renteria?  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ampoule, I'm sure you remember Renteria didn't fare too well in Boston.

Interesting that Drew, batting lefty, is starting tonight against a very good lefty, Price, and Iglesias is riding the pine.  If Bogaerts or Middlebrooks is headed back to Boston, my prediction is that Iglesias could become the utility infielder.  Iglesias's fielding is sheer poetry, but the prose of winning games usually occurs in the batters box. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:

Weren't they looking to unload Freese?  That would be a fair swap.

Time out Board---I am really confused----one day Drew should be benched the next day he hits two dingers--Freese--Freese is about as untouchable as Bogaerts. Drew is a salary dump by most believers on the board--all of a sudden SL calls to inquire--he's almost worth Giancarlo Stanton.

This is a crazy time of the year but not this crazy. It is coincidental that Iggy is sitting, Drew is playing against a tough lefty and someone reports Boggie is playing 3B tonight for the PawSox.

Only 3 more days until the insanity is over. I love this time of year. If Drew is moved they will find a replacement internally from the 4 SS's they have in the system.

Young knows how to play 3 B and don't be surprised if Boggie goes to the Phils for Young, Lee, Mayberry, a reliever and Ruiz in return for Ells, Buch, Boggie, Lava and Huntzinger + we pay the full salary of Lee. How crazy would that be Bill--does that qualify for your Blockbuster????????? Top it all off the Phils Extend Ells with the money saved on Lee and Ruiz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

St L just inquired about Drew. No players were named in a possible trade or if Ben was even interested.

Bogey plays about 5 games at SS then they give him a game at 3b. This has been going on for a while so dont read anything into it.

The Sox arent giving up 4 top prospects for Lee, Nor should they.

Drew is playing tonight because Iggy needs a mental break after having about a .170BA for the month of July and struggling at the plate. Drew is also NOT a salary dump. Hes on a 1yr deal and the Sox are well below the tax line.

There has been no further News on this matter, so Im assuming BC wasnt interested. Have to wait and see. Personally, I highly doubt they move Drew to ST.L

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

HoltIn response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

There is a Baseball God afterall !!!!    Do it in a HEARTBEAT !!!!    Bogarts to 3rd, Iggy to SS and next year Middlebrooks (if still here) can play 1st base !!!!

I'm not against the idea, but what if Boggy struggles? Do you really want to enter the playoffs with Holt at 3B?

Holt is not a bad player        Jerry Adair, Bill Mueller type !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill 

Are you saying in the post season you were prefer to go with Brock Holt over Stephen Drew?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is a Baseball God afterall !!!!    Do it in a HEARTBEAT !!!!    Bogarts to 3rd, Iggy to SS and next year Middlebrooks (if still here) can play 1st base !!!!

I'm not against the idea, but what if Boggy struggles? Do you really want to enter the playoffs with Holt at 3B?

[/QUOTE]

Bill 

Are you saying in the post season you were prefer to go with Brock Holt over Stephen Drew?

[/QUOTE]

Postseason???

Left61--We've got 50 + games ahead of us. Drew's good but he probably is not going to hit us into postseason IMHO. I do think Iggy will defensively play well enough to get us there just like Drew probably could defensively. If we make it it will pobably be with somewhat of a different left side of the infield. I do think if you played Brock Holt for the next 50 + games he would play good and hit better than Drew and Iggy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Heard today that the Cards called BC and asked what it would take for them to give up veteran SS Stephen Drew. I dont know any more than that.

St.Louis has a deep farm system thet could help the Sox depending on what they are willing to give up for a premium position player. BC already said hes not taking away from the MLB roster and with Iggy already reverting back to his old offensive ways, losing Drew would make them worse on defense and offensively too.

Should they move Drew for a package of prospects and HOPE that Iggy starts to hit again and that one of BOgey or Middy can do well?  Do they go get a Michael Young to play the FT 3b slot IF they decide to move Drew? Or do they keep Drew and not take any chances losing both offense and defense at a permium position?

Drew defense?   Iggy better defense. Move to short ...Trade for Young... Young better offense then Drew ...Plus right handed bat.....

[/QUOTE]

This makes some sense but only if iggy can hit a little

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wouldn't hang up on them.  I like Drew, but I am kind of indifferent to Drew/Iggy, or Iggy/Bogaerts.  The biggest problem I see is that, if we're winning, why change anything?  But if they really offered something of value, I'd at least about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I watched Adair extensively in 1967 after he came over from the White Sox.  As a super-sub he was outstanding, particularly in clutch situations.

AB 316, BA .291, RBI 26, OBP .321, SLG .367

"That man (Jerry Adair) was the coolest clutch hitter I had ever seen." Carl Yastrzemski

Believe me Holt is no Jerry Adair !

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Heard today that the Cards called BC and asked what it would take for them to give up veteran SS Stephen Drew. I dont know any more than that.

St.Louis has a deep farm system thet could help the Sox depending on what they are willing to give up for a premium position player. BC already said hes not taking away from the MLB roster and with Iggy already reverting back to his old offensive ways, losing Drew would make them worse on defense and offensively too.

Should they move Drew for a package of prospects and HOPE that Iggy starts to hit again and that one of BOgey or Middy can do well?  Do they go get a Michael Young to play the FT 3b slot IF they decide to move Drew? Or do they keep Drew and not take any chances losing both offense and defense at a permium position?

I heard Boston simply asked the Cards pay the remainder of his salary and thye said "NFW!" (no #@$ way)

I guess that shows what other GMs think of Drew's contract vs his value.