Rethinking 2013

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Rethinking 2013

lava lava lava. i don't see them giving up on salty after the work we've put in to him. he is really coming into his own also. If salty continues to improve then lava will be made a 1Bman or get traded. pretty exciting stuff

Salty is a FA after this year. I guess we could re-sign him after the year if he does well this year, but his cost will be very high.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I never used the ignore button.... but certainly that is the surest way to avoid posters that bother you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

1) Ben's Youth Movement is neither youthful nor a movement.

Youth Movement is just a slogan.  Ben and the FO have made a serious effort at increasing the stock of young talent with a) prospects acquired from Dodgers; b) not trading any prospects except Sands who we acquired from Dodgers; c) not giving up draft picks with free agent acquisitions.

Humorists might add d) really stinking last year to get higher picks in this year's draft.   

So, what you saying is that it is youthful and is a movement. Interesting concept.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

..where he erred was in his assumption that Beckett and Lester would both be top of the rotation guys similar to the Pedro/Schilling dynamic in 2004. To lead the staff in the post season.

Well, Beckett did an awesome job leading us through the postseason in 2007...

(30 IP  19 H   2 BB  35K  4 ER)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Conversley the question tht begs to be answered is do we have a position player or pitcher current in our system who projects to be an impact bat or a big game pitcher...My feeling based on everything I've read is the answer is maybe Bogharts or Barnes...To me if's and might be, could be, falls short of definitely will be...Which is why I'm of the mind that we will need to acquire by trade or FA impact players and if we have to sell the farm..

I agree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Youth Movement is just a slogan.  Ben and the FO have made a serious effort at increasing the stock of young talent with a) prospects acquired from Dodgers; b) not trading any prospects except Sands who we acquired from Dodgers; c) not giving up draft picks with free agent acquisitions.

Humorists might add d) really stinking last year to get higher picks in this year's draft.   

So, what you saying is that it is youthful and is a movement. Interesting concept.

The Hippie Generation, that was a Youth Movement.  This is on a much smaller scale. :-)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

lava lava lava. i don't see them giving up on salty after the work we've put in to him. he is really coming into his own also. If salty continues to improve then lava will be made a 1Bman or get traded. pretty exciting stuff

Salty is a FA after this year. I guess we could re-sign him after the year if he does well this year, but his cost will be very high.

if he plays well then why not? we know he can play in boston and lots of people like him here. it owuld be better than letting him go and have a slew of Catchers in and out of boston for years.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

if he plays well then why not? we know he can play in boston and lots of people like him here. it owuld be better than letting him go and have a slew of Catchers in and out of boston for years.

I'm not against it, in fact I have turned a 180 on Salty since April of 2012. I actually think we should extend Salty now at a hopefully discount rate (becuase I expect further improvment this year) and trade Lava now that Papi is the DH (Lava's best spot) for 2 years.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'm nots against it, in fact I have turned a 180 on Salty since April of 2012. I actually think we should extend Salty now at a hopefully discount rate (becuase I expect further improvment this year) and trade Lava now that Papi is the DH (Lava's best spot) for 2 years.

well i'd be down for that too. definitely down. i see him as our catcher for years to come.

I'm nots against it, in fact I have turned a 180 on Salty since April of 2012. I actually think we should extend Salty now at a hopefully discount rate (becuase I expect further improvment this year) and trade Lava now that Papi is the DH (Lava's best spot) for 2 years.

well i'd be down for that too. definitely down. i see him as our catcher for years to come.

We could be wrong, but he's worth a reasonable risk at a 2-3 year extension at a modest rate.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

I thought you said you'd come to this thread to see how you took it off track. Instead, you have come here to continue nonbaseball tangents.

Look in the mirror...long and hard.

Keep baseball threads about baseball. Is that such a hard thing to do for someone who is hypersensitive about trolls, Ben-bashers and pessimists?

Do what you asked me to do on your thread: go back and see who took this thread off baseball...

Cue sound of crickets....

It's fairy clear the intent of Edith, Kimsaysthesamethings, Burrito, the Sherif, along with Salty is to dilute this discusion and drive it off the board. Pretty juvenille if you ask me. Fear not, dispite there intent. I'll continue to try to sift through all of thier diatribes and non-sensical comments that lend nothing to the thread and stick to discussing baseball.

Baseball Fever..Catch it!

No, apparantly it's not "fairy" clear to you because that was not my intention at all.  I was actually reading the discussion and enjoying it.  My post was directed at Edith (aka Pike).  You completely misunderstood.  

And lighten up.  You're discussing hypothetical baseball scenarios as a fan, not finding medical cures.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

I thought you said you'd come to this thread to see how you took it off track. Instead, you have come here to continue nonbaseball tangents.

Keep baseball threads about baseball. Is that such a hard thing to do for someone who is hypersensitive about trolls, Ben-bashers and pessimists?

Do what you asked me to do on your thread: go back and see who took this thread off baseball...

It's fairy clear the intent of Edith, Kimsaysthesamethings, Burrito, the Sherif, along with Salty is to dilute this discusion and drive it off the board. Pretty juvenille if you ask me. Fear not, dispite there intent. I'll continue to try to sift through all of thier diatribes and non-sensical comments that lend nothing to the thread and stick to discussing baseball.

No, apparantly it's not "fairy" clear to you because that was not my intention at all.  I was actually reading the discussion and enjoying it.  My post was directed at Edith (aka Pike).  You completely misunderstood.  

And lighten up.  You're discussing hypothetical baseball scenarios as a fan, not finding medical cures.

As I stated to Burrito and will repeat to you sir. My lumping you into my earlier statement had to do with the timing of your's, his and the other posters. Each of whoms posts, none of which were related to the actual thread topic, all coming within minutes of one another.

Perhaps I do have to lighten up, Since I don't try to keep track of the numerous alias of many of those that come to this site. Nor do I try to disuade them from the games they like to play with one another. I come here to talk baseball nothing more nothing less. I typically just ignore most of the post when they're not on point or I see an obvious attempt by some to simply play the devils advocate or the board police...we've not had a lot of exchanges and again if you are one of the good guys as Hlfx stated. Then I will moving forward try to see you for what you are and if you want to talk ball, I'm game, bull and I pass. It's really that easy...

..where he erred was in his assumption that Beckett and Lester would both be top of the rotation guys similar to the Pedro/Schilling dynamic in 2004. To lead the staff in the post season.

Well, Beckett did an awesome job leading us through the postseason in 2007...

(30 IP  19 H   2 BB  35K  4 ER)

He did, however begining late in 2008 season he failed to finish strong due to a myriad of health issues and each year thereafter began to lose velocity on his fastball and command of his offspeed stuff...All warnig signs that Esptein ignored when he extended Beckett's contract after signing Lackey who also pitched with diminished stuff.

I understand... really I do. Calling you "beanbag" is harldy fighting words. 

Depends on what part of Boston you come from...

Mocking my sreeen name might not be fighting words, they are and can be construed as insulting, which then can lead to verbal altercations...It happens everyday in grade schools accross the country...It's something I grew out of when I got to HS. Your attempt to chide me, is more evidence of the juvenille behaviors that permeate this board. More power to you and I will do as you suggest and franky have always tried to stay above the fray when threads go south and the tenor of the debate digresses to name calling and insults (see the I digress thread).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

He said "fairy" clear!  lol. Ha! 

Yeah and same for me... a thread is an woven mess of several discussions or rants going on at once.... if anything Bean you interupted my conversation with Edith.

Anyhow time to move along, nothing to see here.

He said "fairy" clear!  lol. Ha! 

As in not crystal clear...english is a funny language....

if anything Bean you interupted my conversation with Edith.

true and I will try to in the future refrain from doing so...

Anyhow time to move along, nothing to see here.

I know, it's a shame isn't it, just another thread talking about baseball. What fun is that?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

When I want serious discussion I go to the Realistic Look Thread... its great! I read it everyday and most of my participation there is 100% baseball related. You won't find pike, ADG, kim, or Albi in there.

Albi started this thread which instantly makes it a laugher.... 

Enjoy the winter...

I can't wait to see how this team shapes up and I pray Napoli is sitting on the DL all summer with another team.

I really don't care who starts a thread, and I often do not even pay attention, but this thread was going pretty well for a while.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Most threads, past page 2 or 3, veer drastically off course from the content of the original post anyway, and as long as it's baseball-related I don't have a problem with that. Even a dumb OP can set off some really great discussion (which makes Pike's maxim that you shouldn't reply to threads started by certain "undesirable" posters kind of ridiculous, IMO).

When I want serious discussion I go to the Realistic Look Thread... its great! I read it everyday and most of my participation there is 100% baseball related.

I think it should be a New Years resolution of mine to start reading that thread...I peek in it from time to time, but not regularly enough to keep up. I think I'm intimidated by its sheer size and volume, lol.

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Most threads, past page 2 or 3, veer drastically off course from the content of the original post anyway, and as long as it's baseball-related I don't have a problem with that. Even a dumb OP can set off some really great discussion (which makes Pike's maxim that you shouldn't reply to threads started by certain "undesirable" posters kind of ridiculous, IMO).

When I want serious discussion I go to the Realistic Look Thread... its great! I read it everyday and most of my participation there is 100% baseball related.

I think it should be a New Years resolution of mine to start reading that thread...I peek in it from time to time, but not regularly enough to keep up. I think I'm intimidated by its sheer size and volume, lol.

Just skip to the last 2-3 pages.

It's been kind of dull recently with not much new to talk about.

I'm thinking once the Naps deal is settle and the trade that is waiting for that to come down is completed (Salty?), I'll start Part II.

I really don't care who starts a thread, and I often do not even pay attention, but this thread was going pretty well for a while.

however it appears to have run it's course...Thank's for the riveting back and forth Moon, your a class act and I truly enjoyed our debate. Reminded me of the old days back on the dem yanks thread....lots of very good back and forth...

BT

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not against it, in fact I have turned a 180 on Salty since April of 2012. I actually think we should extend Salty now at a hopefully discount rate (becuase I expect further improvment this year) and trade Lava now that Papi is the DH (Lava's best spot) for 2 years.

[/QUOTE]

That's the key with a Salty-like player i.e. skilled, but with holes plus upside.  I would try to sign him now and hope he continues to improve.  There are so few good catchers around - ever - that you sometimes have to take a risk.  It is virtually guaranteed that D Ross will be gone after 2014, and by no means certain that Lava will approach even Salty's current level....then some catchers e.g. Swihart years away.

For the Nth time (to some), Grandpa Salty is 2 and bit years older than Babyface Lava....and still young for a catcher and still developing.  

however it appears to have run it's course...Thank's for the riveting back and forth Moon, your a class act and I truly enjoyed our debate. Reminded me of the old days back on the dem yanks thread....lots of very good back and forth...

BT

Anytime Bean. I have always enjoyed our exchanges. I'm sure we'll have more.

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

• That's the key with a Salty-like player i.e. skilled, but with holes plus upside.  I would try to sign him now and hope he continues to improve.  There are so few good catchers around - ever - that you sometimes have to take a risk.  It is virtually guaranteed that D Ross will be gone after 2014, and by no means certain that Lava will approach even Salty's current level....then some catchers e.g. Swihart years away.

For the Nth time (to some), Grandpa Salty is 2 and bit years older than Babyface Lava....and still young for a catcher and still developing.  

We should also remember that VTek led the league in PBs at ages 27 and 28 and he had some low OPS at about Salty's current age (.730 at age 28 and .724 at age 30).

I'm not saying Salty will ever get to be as good as VTek behind the plate, but some catchers have late learning curves.

Sections
    Shortcuts