Rethinking 2013

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Rethinking 2013

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Papelbon was too expensive and he was not consistent and the budget was tight.

The logic of trading Reddick for Bailey was obvious since Papelbon was gone.

Bailey got injured in a freak accident. No fault of Cherrington

That has been explained to you 200 times but you won't let it sink in.

No GM should be held accountable for 32 injuries.

The new signings are good news to most in RSN

How do you know that they will fail?

My guess is that you are toying with us

Am I right?

[/QUOTE]

Yes , Edith.  You are right. I am toying with you. And while you are up , fetch me a beer.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The moves he did make in 2012 only served to make for a worse team.  The outlook is, realistically,  not any better this year, despite the big trade with L.A.  Despite the high payroll.  If the team fails again in 2013 , the same fans will make more excuses.  We need accountability , not excuses. We need results.  If you are the GM of a big business like the Sox , you need to show some results. When things get worse on your watch , you need to be held accountable. Do you deny any of those statements ?  If so , which ? On what  grounds ?

[/QUOTE]

To which moves are you referring? Be specific.  And obviously you have to exclude the late season moves after the season was lost.

[/QUOTE]

Letting Papelbon walk away without an offer.  Replacing him by trading Reddick ( 16th in MVP voting , playing for the playoff bound , low payroll A's. ) for the injury prone and ineffective Bailey. Coping with the injuries by signing a parade of ham and eggers during the season. Presiding over all of the turmoil surrounding the team.   When you are the GM , you have to be held accountable.  The late season moves , after the season was lost, were strictly to clear payroll.  Now , the cleared payroll dollars have been spent on another collection of ham and eggers.  Is that specific enough ?

[/QUOTE]

Oh come on, that's all absurd.

• Do you think Paps had any intention of staying?  Even if so, would you have paid such a gigantic price over 4 seasons?  How do you know if the Sox offered or not? Can you provide an old post of yours confirming your opposition to the move?
    • Reddick had done nothing for the Sox, and Bailey was already a 2-time all star and former ROY with better recent stats than Paps.  Can you provide an old post of yours showing your opposition to that deal at the time?
    • He had....you know...NO BUDGET to acquire new players during the season.
    • It's widely accepted that Ben did not want the worst manager ever hired....did you?
    • Re salary clearance, do you think it makes more sense to attack Ben now, or wait to see the results?

It's specific, but silly nonsense.  How surprising.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The moves he did make in 2012 only served to make for a worse team.  The outlook is, realistically,  not any better this year, despite the big trade with L.A.  Despite the high payroll.  If the team fails again in 2013 , the same fans will make more excuses.  We need accountability , not excuses. We need results.  If you are the GM of a big business like the Sox , you need to show some results. When things get worse on your watch , you need to be held accountable. Do you deny any of those statements ?  If so , which ? On what  grounds ?

[/QUOTE]

To which moves are you referring? Be specific.  And obviously you have to exclude the late season moves after the season was lost.

[/QUOTE]

Letting Papelbon walk away without an offer.  Replacing him by trading Reddick ( 16th in MVP voting , playing for the playoff bound , low payroll A's. ) for the injury prone and ineffective Bailey. Coping with the injuries by signing a parade of ham and eggers during the season. Presiding over all of the turmoil surrounding the team.   When you are the GM , you have to be held accountable.  The late season moves , after the season was lost, were strictly to clear payroll.  Now , the cleared payroll dollars have been spent on another collection of ham and eggers.  Is that specific enough ?

[/QUOTE]

• Do you think Paps had any intention of staying?  Even if so, would you have paid such a gigantic price over 4 seasons?  How do you know if the Sox offered or not? Can you provide an old post of yours confirming your opposition to the move?
    • Reddick had done nothing for the Sox, and Bailey was already a 2-time all star and former ROY with better recent stats than Paps.  Can you provide an old post of yours showing your opposition to that deal at the time?
    • It's widely accepted that Ben did not want the worst manager ever hired....did you?
    • Re salary clearance, do you think it makes more sense to attack Ben now, or wait to see the results?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You try to rationalize every blunder.  You need to be less " feisty " , and more results oriented.   Making excuses for failure is not the way to go.  By the way , I have neither the time or desire to provide anyone with " old posts " of mine.  Feel free to research them , if you have nothing better to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

I certainly think you are right about that.  Which is why I cannot conceive of the Sox winning fewer than 70 games in 2013, even if Ben had done nothing.  BUT, by the same token...with a new manager and coaches and all of that Magic Johnson money spent on less than superstar players, if the 2013 Sox flop as bad or worse than the 2012 Sox, I have to believe that Ben will be gone, even if the owners do not think it was his fault.  They would have to fire him just to restore the public's trust (you know, the people who pay big bucks to fill the seats and drink the beer) in the team.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, and reckon you and I agree that such short-term decisions are wrong.  I also think there is little evidence to justify thinking Ben is a good GM or a bad GM.

It amuses me that the board seems to be roughly split along the lines that:

• 35% think Ben is a terrible GM;
    • 65% think it's too early to tell if he's a good GM or not;
    • 0.00% think Ben is a good GM.

"I can see Ben's house from my house!" 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You try to rationalize every blunder.  You need to be less " feisty " , and more results oriented.   Making excuses for failure is not the way to go.  By the way , I have neither the time or desire to provide anyone with " old posts " of mine.  Feel free to research them , if you have nothing better to do.

[/QUOTE]

You won't/can't respond to any of my points.  Ok, I think it's more can't than won't.  I'm 100% results-oriented...and despise short-termist, biased, change-phobics. "It weren't like this when I were a lad!"  "The modern world is rubbish, it is"! 

In your terms:  "What are you against, dgalehouse?"  "Whaddya got?"

• Let's keep it simple:  Did you want to pay Paps 4/50-ish to stay?  I didn't.
    • Did you object to swapping Reddick for Bailey?  I didn't.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You won't/can't respond to any of my points.  Ok, I think it's more can't than won't.  I'm 100% results-oriented...and despise short-termist, biased, change-phobics. "It weren't like this when I were a lad!"  "The modern world is rubbish, it is"! 

In your terms:  "What are you against, dgalehouse?"  "Whaddya got?"

• Let's keep it simple:  Did you want to pay Paps 4/50-ish to stay?  I didn't.
    • Did you object to swapping Reddick for Bailey?  I didn't.

[/QUOTE]

I was for re-signing Papelbon. The money it would have cost was instead spent on a few ham and eggers.  I did not want to trade Reddick for Bailey.   But I am just an old , headstrong , obstinate , but sincere fan.  I am not being paid for my opinion. Obviously , Ben thought that trading Reddick for Bailey was a good idea.  Obviously , Billy Beane thought that trading Bailey for Reddick was a good idea.  GMs are paid to evaluate talent and make good decisions.  Which GM turned out to be right ?  Which small payroll team improved and made the playoffs ?  Which large payroll team tanked and finished in the basement ?   Baseball is a business. In business , results are all that matters.   Excuses are for losers. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well said and I concur with your overview of the team and in particular the upside of Lester in 2013.  Moon's take is that we're doomed even before the season begins and given the depth of his disappointment with what he sees as underwhelming player aquisions. it might take until June or July for him to come out of his funk...

[/QUOTE]

Hi BT.  I hope Moon comes out of his funk soon.  :-)

I would rather the Sox sign the guys that they did, even though they are overpaying in dollars, rather than paying committing to someone long term or overpaying for a player with prospects.  The Sox are by no means a shoo-in or a favorite, but they should be competitive, and they did not have to mortgage the future to do so. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"Even if Ben had done nothing to the roster and counted on the return to health of Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury and Lackey (and somewhat of Pedroia as well), then he would be justified in expecting some improvement. "

This is my feeling as well.  Ben could have done nothing as far as adding new players this offseason, and the team would have a better record in 2013 than they had last year.  That's how many things went wrong last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Even if Ben had done nothing to the roster and counted on the return to health of Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury and Lackey (and somewhat of Pedroia as well), then he would be justified in expecting some improvement. "

This is my feeling as well.  Ben could have done nothing as far as adding new players this offseason, and the team would have a better record in 2013 than they had last year.  That's how many things went wrong last year.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and Lackey will be back to help out the rotation. Last time he pitched he had the worst ERA of all ML pitchers who pitched over 100 innings. Yes, he was hurt for part of it, but thats not all of it: he stinks. It takes a real effort to finish last in ERA among ALL pitchers. Quite a feather in his cap....something to tell his grandkids about one day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

so, pumpsie, do you think Lackey will pitch to the worst ERA among ALL pitchers now that he is healthy, or do you think he will improve on that?

I would be willing to place a bet that he is better than that at the end of 2013.  Are you going to bet against me (and Ben and Kimmi)?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and Lackey will be back to help out the rotation. Last time he pitched he had the worst ERA of all ML pitchers who pitched over 100 innings. Yes, he was hurt for part of it, but thats not all of it: he stinks. It takes a real effort to finish last in ERA among ALL pitchers. Quite a feather in his cap....something to tell his grandkids about one day.

[/QUOTE]

What do you think his ERA wil be this year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTChris. Show CTChris's posts

Lackey is a tough call JB. I don't have any insight into his specific situation, but I can share what my expectations of him are.

To the best of my knowledge, most pitchers coming off TJ surgery go thru....let's call it an adjustment period before things begin to click for them on a consistent basis.

Therefore, I don't expect we'll see the best Lackey has to offer in April. My guess would be that we'll see what he has to offer by late June or sometime into July.

Regarding his ERA, who knows? That's a real stab in the dark, but if you want a guess (which is all this can be), I'll go with an ERA of 4.30 - 4.40 on the season with his 2nd half numbers being better than that.....let's say in the high 3's. 3.80-3.90.

But as always, a pitchers ERA isn't a direct reflection on how they soley performed. There are other variables involved that go on behind him in the field that influence those numbers. However, I'm guessing your trying to keep it simple with the folks your talking to so, I'll stick with the above ERA predictions just for giggles.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

moon has been uncharacteristically dour this off-season.  And I certainly understand his position.  After years (going on 6 now) of waiting for individuals to live up to their career norms (not even their hype) and watching them get injured and tank and all manner of underperforming, the Sox this off-season have signed a bunch of guys who are overpaid considering their career performances and age with the hopes they will have career years while the unmoved underperformers are counted on to return to their former glory days.  Unrealistic, says moon.  And I concur.

However, I am more in the Chad Finn line of philosophy on the Sox off-season so far.  A few of these guys will Tony Clark on us, in all likelihood.  But there is depth that the Sox have not had for a few years, and the guys providing it are gamers and true professionals.  Not a one of them is an entitled whiner, like Beckett.  And hopefully they bring passion that was lacking in Gonzalez, and health that was lacking in Crawford.  And they do it for a less.  So, the prognosis for next year is sunnier than 2012 if one remembers that what made the team a 69-win team was won only 16 games after July 31st.  That team lacked Ortiz and Middlebrooks and Lackey...all back.  And it had:  Nava/Kalish/Ciriaco/Iglesias/Lavarnway/Podsednik/Byrd/McDonald/Loney/Punto/Gomez/Sweeney in the starting lineup on a regular basis.  Not one of them provided enough production during that time period to justify the amount of starts and ABs they received.

And worse, the pitching of the bottom end of the rotation was 5 and 20, 7.13 ERA in 31 starts.  Dempster, even if he is pitching like he did for Texas, will improve on that.  In years past, moon would have recognized that and used it as part of his argument for an improved team.  This year he is just too discouraged to see the light, IMO.  In addition, the bullpen, which moon has defended, was wretched as well.  The closer lost and/or blew more than a dozen games.  They were 17-20 in one run games and 2-10 in extra innings games.

Even if Ben had done nothing to the roster and counted on the return to health of Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury and Lackey (and somewhat of Pedroia as well), then he would be justified in expecting some improvement.  But he went out and got bona fide major league talent to bolster a roster that will see the return of some very important players.  And he has addressed the bullpen woes (I especially like the Uehara signing) and the back end of the rotation (even though I would have preferred he do that by adding a #1/2 type starter, pushing all the rest back). 

Will it be enough to be a WC contender?  It just may be.  We will have to see.  Will they be fun to watch?  Certainly more so than they were after July.  I remain cautiously optimistic.

[/QUOTE]

I will enjoy watching the Sox in 2013. I will root hard for them. I will watch every pitch of every game (sometimes more than once).

I hope we do well. If everything falls together all at once we may make the playoffs, but that is about as much as I can see us doing.

I just wish we had made at least one move that looks to help us in 2014 or 2015. I don't think that was too much too ask for or impossible to make happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well said and I'll add that the roster is still not complete and given the terms of the current players under contract and the less than free agent pool this year. Prudence was the best coarse and entering the season and into next offseason we're positioned to add impact players to the roster. a fact that seems to be lost on Moon. of which there were exactly two in this years FA class.

Not lost on me.

I totally understand what Ben did and why. It was still the wrong plan. We are not going to win in 2013, and we are not positioned any better in 2014 and beyond. Just because some of the guys we signed will be gone by 2014 and 2015 allowing us to sign someone else, doesn't change much. It just pushes back the choice to maybe a better FA class next winter.

What 2 are you referring? A Sanchez and B McCarthy?

While I can understand not wanting to sign anyone to 5 years, it's not as bad as 7 years for CC. Also, A Sanchez has pitched over 195 IP for 3 straight years and is only 28. He'll be 33 when his contract runs out. That's about 5 years of prime. I know he was way overpaid, and signing him was not part of my top plan, but after seeing how much Ben spent this winter, I have to think that spending $82M for 5 prime years of Sanchez would have been better than $75M on Victorino or Napoli, Dempster and Drew or $87.5M on Victorino, Napoli and Drew. 

Yeah, we'd have some holes to fill in RF (Kalish/Linares/Gomes/Nava?) and SS (Iggy/Ciriaco/Holt?), but I really think we'd be close to as good in 2013, bu more importantly, we'd have a good player in his prime poised to help us in 2014, 2015, and beyond.

Brandon McCarthy was certainly a risk. He could have been a terrible signing at my suggested $25M/3 offer, but he's younger than Dempster and we'd have him for 3 years not 2.

I haven't checked the ages of other FAs, but I'd rather have had 4 years of Angel Pagan than 3 years of Victorino at about the same cost.

I realize some of these guys may not have wanted to sign here even for slightly more money, but I never heard of any offers to these three guys.

My #1 plan was to go all out for 2014/2015. Every move should have been based on improving for the future, except fo maybe a couple 1 year bridge signings like Uehara and 2 year signings like D Ross (trade Salty) and Gomes. I'd have tried hard to get B Anderson and/or J Upton. I'd have tried to get Wil Myers from KC (maybe wihtout the other good prospects TB got) for Lester & Doubront or Morales. If we couldn't get Myers, I'd have tried hard for Stanton. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What do you think his ERA wil be this year?

[/QUOTE]

Pumpsie, what do you think Lackey's ERA will be?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well said and I'll add that the roster is still not complete and given the terms of the current players under contract and the less than free agent pool this year. Prudence was the best coarse and entering the season and into next offseason we're positioned to add impact players to the roster. a fact that seems to be lost on Moon. of which there were exactly two in this years FA class.

Not lost on me.

I totally understand what Ben did and why. It was still the wrong plan. We are not going to win in 2013, and we are not positioned any better in 2014 and beyond. Just because some of the guys we signed will be gone by 2014 and 2015 allowing us to sign someone else, doesn't change much. It just pushes back the choice to maybe a better FA class next winter.

It depends one's definition of winning, as comprised before and after the trade of Beckett, Gonzalez and Crawford the nucleus of the team was not of championship mettle...Thus adding to that core would have yielded the same less than results...Also what I've yet to see you speak to is the need to field a team that also keeps the fan base engaged and the TV audience tuned in...The Sox given their resources don't need to blow up the team and start over like they do in smaller markets.

What 2 are you referring? A Sanchez and B McCarthy?

That would be Hamilton and Grienke. Both of whom come with baggage and neither of whom I would think wanted to play in Boston anyway...

While I can understand not wanting to sign anyone to 5 years, it's not as bad as 7 years for CC. Also, A Sanchez has pitched over 195 IP for 3 straight years and is only 28. He'll be 33 when his contract runs out. That's about 5 years of prime. I know he was way overpaid, and signing him was not part of my top plan, but after seeing how much Ben spent this winter, I have to think that spending $82M for 5 prime years of Sanchez would have been better than $75M on Victorino or Napoli, Dempster and Drew or $87.5M on Victorino, Napoli and Drew. 

I would have been fine with signing Sanchez. Although he has had problems in the past with his elbow and shoulder...without seeing his MRI. That alone would give me pause signing him to a long term deal..Also he chose to stay in Detriot a team with a legit shot at winning it all in the next 2 to 3 years where he had the opportunity while pitching for them to get a feel for his teammates, the area and how the organization worked... All factors which can't be dismissed as irrelvent...

I'll agree to disagree on your math regarding the value of adding three postion players vs one pitcher, given the teams needs...

Yeah, we'd have some holes to fill in RF (Kalish/Linares/Gomes/Nava?) and SS (Iggy/Ciriaco/Holt?), but I really think we'd be close to as good in 2013, bu more importantly, we'd have a good player in his prime poised to help us in 2014, 2015, and beyond.

If you're reffering to the Drew & Victorino signings...End of the day the moneys they spent on Drew was a good investment...Clearly they don't see Iggy as being ready and Ciraico's value is that of a super utlity guy...As for Victorino they might well have overpaid for year three...This season and next his value to the team is in providing a bridge to the future and he also gives them the roster flexibility to move Ellsbury this year...

Brandon McCarthy was certainly a risk. He could have been a terrible signing at my suggested $25M/3 offer, but he's younger than Dempster and we'd have him for 3 years not 2.

McCarthy has yet to prove that he can navigate a full seasons workload and that alone is enough for me to dismiss him as a player worthy of signing...the Sox already have two guys that are equal in terms of value to him on our existing roster at a fraction of the cost (Morales & Tazawa). McCarthy's stuff certainly intrigues me but his inability since he dawned the White Sox uniforms and was heralded as the next coming to pitch well enough to earn and keep is spot in the rotation and give his team 33 starts and 200 innings

I haven't checked the ages of other FAs, but I'd rather have had 4 years of Angel Pagan than 3 years of Victorino at about the same cost.

I realize some of these guys may not have wanted to sign here even for slightly more money, but I never heard of any offers to these three guys.

Pagan re-signed with the Giants...as in the World Series Champion Giants and not unlike Sanchez not sure that he or his agent actively or agressively pursued other teams...As they say there's no place like home and when your talking about free agents that played for teams that were both WS teams last year and project to be in the mix in the near term. All things being equal of close most would chose to re up vs moving to a new city...Jason Varitek resigning with the Sox after we won it all in 2004 comes to mind... 

My #1 plan was to go all out for 2014/2015. Every move should have been based on improving for the future, except fo maybe a couple 1 year bridge signings like Uehara and 2 year signings like D Ross (trade Salty) and Gomes. I'd have tried hard to get B Anderson and/or J Upton. I'd have tried to get Wil Myers from KC (maybe wihtout the other good prospects TB got) for Lester & Doubront or Morales. If we couldn't get Myers, I'd have tried hard for Stanton. 

Your plan, my plan or Ben's all are predicated on and dicated by the terms of and the quality of the players under contract on the 40 man roster, those available through various modes of aquisition and those currently in your system not on the 40 man roster. If we look at the ideal makeup of a championship team.

It's starts with evaluating where you are reletive to the competition within your division & league. In the AL East 95 wins almost garantees you'll be in the mix for both the division and one of the WC spots...

1) Pitching; the formula that has been used since the dawn of the new bullpen is to have a 6 deep rotation fronted by two top of the rotation starters where in an ideal world they as a group give you consistency and length during the season to navigate the marathon and once in the post season the top three guys all have the ablity to shutdown the opposition for 7 plus innings while matching up against your opponants top three. Supported by a bullpen with quality and depth to pickup where the starters left off, keep you in games in the middle innings with a lockdown late innings trio lead by a guy to take care of the 9th.

Show me your projected rotation that delivers to this level in 2015 and I'll be more than glad to send your resume to John Henry...

2) Defense; far too often an overlooked aspect in terms of the sucess of a team..."strength up the middle" includes the pitching staff but refers to the defensive ablity of the catcher, 2B, SS & CF.

We have question marks at all but one of these positions with Pedrioa the only "long term" 2015 guy on the current roster...show me whom you see as our everyday guys in 2015 and if Lavarnway is part of that group then I'd say we'd still need to find a catcher...sorry but I'm not bulish in him...

3) Timely Hitting; What made Manny, Manny (aside from his antics), was that he hit good pitching. When teams are building thier rosters the goal is to do so with players that are complimentary and excell hitting in certain spots of the lineup...In an ideal world you'd have a line-up with 6 guys capaple of hitting .280 with 20 homers with a couple of proven run producers in the middle of the lineup that "hit good pitching"...Typically the positions where that level of production is the expected norm. Are the corner outfielders and the corner infielders (In the AL the DH)...What separates the deeper lineups are teams where they get that level of production from one or more of the strength up the middle group (CF, SS, 2B and Catcher)...

Today as comprised given the players on the current market place that don't require us to find a willing "trade partner". The Red Sox have only 1 proven core element of the above "under the teams control" locked up to any length and that's Pedrioa. Middlebrooks shows promise, but has yet to prove that he's capable of playing at a high level for an entire season. As we're retooling this team none of our current players nor were any of the free agents on the market (aside from Hamilton) that profile as legit middle of the order threats. We need two...no disrespect but Papi's not that guy anymore and hasn't been since 2007.

As with our pitching staff I'd love to see your 2015 lineup that factors in the above and delivers a championship level team.

4) Bench & Depth

Always plays a role in helping teams to navigate the long marathon of a season and should be manned with players that both accept the role and are complimentary to the starters..

[/QUOTE]

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts