Revisiting B. McCann after surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Revisiting B. McCann after surgery

For those who thought B. McCann was done it's pretty obvious his decline was was due to injury because he has recovered quite well.  In 229 AB the 29 year old has  ...... 

286 BA

15HR's

42RBI's

372 OBP

542 SLG

914 OPS

29 BB's

41 SO's

Brian is clearly one of the best all round catchers in baseball along with Y. Molina.  He will be sought after by a ton of teams after the season if he becomes a FA and whoever does get him will greatly improve their ballclub.

Only 1 year older than Salty!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Revisiting B. McCann after surgery

It's a small sample size, but since his career body of work is large enough, I'd say it looks like he is back to his old self again.

I'm not sure about his intangibles as a catcher, but I would rather have him than Salty. The problem is, he may cost 3 times what Salty costs and want a year or two too many on his "big deal". 

We need to fill 5 big slots this winter:

1) SS  (Boggy?)

2) 3B  (Middy/Cecchi?)

3) 1B  (Carp/Nava/Papi?)

4) CF  (JBJ/Victorino with Nava/Brentz in RF?)

5) Closer (Uehara/Bailey/Dempster/Villareal/other?)

If we intend to stay under the luxury tax limit, we will only have about $32M to spend, assuming we take Lester's option. That's not much to sign McCann and a couple other guys.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's a small sample size, but since his career body of work is large enough, I'd say it looks like he is back to his old self again.

I'm not sure about his intangibles as a catcher, but I would rather have him than Salty. The problem is, he may cost 3 times what Salty costs and want a year or two too many on his "big deal". 

1) SS  (Boggy?)

2) 3B  (Middy/Cecchi?)

3) 1B  (Carp/Nava/Papi?)

If we intend to stay under the luxury tax limit, we will only have about $32M to spend, assuming we take Lester's option. That's not much to sign McCann and a couple other guys.

Sox4ever

I'm not saying we should go after him moon as nice as it would be to add him to the offense.  I was just responding to those who thought he was washed up a few months back when I first posted he could be a nice addition.

I agree we still have a lot of other unresolved areas but his offense could help ease the pain a bit if we lose Ells.  I don't see Bradley making up the difference for two to three years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He will be sought after by a ton of teams after the season if he becomes a FA and whoever does get him will greatly improve their ballclub.

It all depends on price.  Lots of FAs, almost all really, will add a few wins, but few add value.  If you get him at the right price and duration, you'd be okay.  But the likelihood is that someone will overpay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

He will be sought after by a ton of teams after the season if he becomes a FA and whoever does get him will greatly improve their ballclub.

It all depends on price.  Lots of FAs, almost all really, will add a few wins, but few add value.  If you get him at the right price and duration, you'd be okay.  But the likelihood is that someone will overpay.

I agree Joe, but the difference between Salty's SO to BB ratio to McCann alone would make us more of a threat.  If we lose Ells the money should be there to at least make a play for him.  McCann is a guy who won't SO very much to end a rally like Nap and Salty do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

1) SS  (Boggy?)

2) 3B  (Middy/Cecchi?)

3) 1B  (Carp/Nava/Papi?)

Sox4ever

THATs the big question. Personally, The more I look at it the more I think they would have no issue at all going over for 1 year and resetting in 2015 again. They have already added Peavys 14M to the payroll and I would bet that Lester will be there too.

I wouldnt hold tight to that 189M next year because after 2014 they lose a lot of payroll and then even more after 2015.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I agree Joe, but the difference between Salty's SO to BB ratio compared to McCann alone would make us more of a threat.  If we lose Ells the money should be there to at least make a play for him.  McCann is a guy who won't SO very much to end a rally like Nap and Salty do.

Salty and McCann are very comparable defensively, But McCann is the much better offensive player. So basically with BM you will get Salty on D with much better and consistent offense.

Some here say salty is worth 8 per for 3-4 years. if thats even close, then BM could be a 10-12M catcher for 4-5 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I agree Joe, but the difference between Salty's SO to BB ratio compared to McCann alone would make us more of a threat.  If we lose Ells the money should be there to at least make a play for him.  McCann is a guy who won't SO very much to end a rally like Nap and Salty do.

Salty and McCann are very comparable defensively, But McCann is the much better offensive player. So basically with BM you will get Salty on D with much better and consistent offense.

Some here say salty is worth 8 per for 3-4 years. if thats even close, then BM could be a 10-12M catcher for 4-5 years.

Lets hope a couple of our youngsters come up big sooner than expected at other positions.  If so, it could make these decisions much easier.  I would do my best to dump Dempsters salary on someone but I know we won't. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Somebody should get a big contract from us in free agency. Whether its Ellsbury-Choo-McCann etc. Right now, I am leaning McCann. I think I would consider offering 5-85. The concern would be whether thats too long and might block all our other catchers. If we could get him for 4-70, I think I would be all over him.

Also, we could trade one of our expensive starters. I actually fully expect that. This will add some money to the piggy bank to play with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Somebody should get a big contract from us in free agency. Whether its Ellsbury-Choo-McCann etc. Right now, I am leaning McCann. I think I would consider offering 5-85. The concern would be whether thats too long and might block all our other catchers. If we could get him for 4-70, I think I would be all over him.

Also, we could trade one of our expensive starters. I actually fully expect that. This will add some money to piggy bank to play with.

I completely agree, with kids like Workman looking pretty good and a few other young hopefulls it could happen.  Bens only huge mistake outside of maybe Hanrahan and Bailey was bringing in Dempster at 13mil.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Lets hope a couple of our youngsters come up big sooner than expected at other positions.  If so, it could make these decisions much easier.  I would do my best to dump Dempsters salary on someone but I know we won't. 

[/QUOTE]

Im thinking they will need a stops gap starting catcher for 2 years. Vasquez is closer than Swihart but is still a year or 2 away.
    They will have 6 very capable Starters going into 2014 so trading one is a very  possible reality craze. Honestly, besides the $$, Dempster has been exactly what I thought he would be.  A 4.5ERA and a guy who will keep you in most games with a few stinkers mixed in and should give you 200IP. I dont pay much attention to the 13M because the theme this year was overpay for less years. What we expected in regards to performance isnt going to change based on his salary. He is who he is.

With that said, hes certainly a candidate to get traded this offseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

1) SS  (Boggy?)

2) 3B  (Middy/Cecchi?)

3) 1B  (Carp/Nava/Papi?)

Sox4ever

THATs the big question. Personally, The more I look at it the more I think they would have no issue at all going over for 1 year and resetting in 2015 again. They have already added Peavys 14M to the payroll and I would bet that Lester will be there too.

I wouldnt hold tight to that 189M next year because after 2014 they lose a lot of payroll and then even more after 2015.

[/QUOTE]

I think they'd prefer to stay under the limit. They may even trade some salary like Lester, Dempster, Thornton, Gomes, Ross, Bailey or lesser paid players to make room for more signings.

Yes, we lose a ton of salary after 2014, but we'll also have a ton of slots to fill. How much will it cost to replace Papi alone?

Point well taken though. It is more likely we go over next year than 2015.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

harness once told me we could never-ever get McCann. I have coveted this player a long time. Please Please Please

he should be our number one target...and call me crazy..we should resign napoli.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hesitate to spend big money on a long term deal for a catcher. Look what happened with Mauer. 

I get the positional value thing, but my guess is Salty may cost 1/3rd of McCann, and may settle for a 2-3 year deal instead of 4-6 years. My hope is that Swihart, Vazquez or Denny may be ready after 2-3 years.

Now that we seem to have the rotation all set until 2015, I'd say we spend big for that RH'd middle of the order thumper... probably a 1Bman, 3Bman or OF'er. With what money is left over, we'll pick up a couple more bridge or role players that can cover a few positions, like a corner IF'er, an OF'er who can play CF, and a catcher. Then, there's the closer situation. I'm not sure how long we push the aging Uehara to new levels.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

I hesitate to spend big money on a long term deal for a catcher. Look what happened with Mauer. 

I get the positional value thing, but my guess is Salty may cost 1/3rd of McCann, and may settle for a 2-3 year deal instead of 4-6 years. My hope is that Swihart, Vazquez or Denny may be ready after 2-3 years.

Now that we seem to have the rotation all set until 2015, I'd say we spend big for that RH'd middle of the order thumper... probably a 1Bman, 3Bman or OF'er. With what money is left over, we'll pick up a couple more bridge or role players that can cover a few positions, like a corner IF'er, an OF'er who can play CF, and a catcher. Then, there's the closer situation. I'm not sure how long we push the aging Uehara to new levels.

Sox4ever

yeah..a 3Bman would be nice...i want to kepp napoli at 1st.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

What happened to Mauer?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

harness once told me we could never-ever get McCann. I have coveted this player a long time. Please Please Please

he should be our number one target...and call me crazy..we should resign napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli has potential.  But Mark Reynolds and Kendrys Morales represent Plans B and C, and without potential hip concerns (that I know of).

I like McCann, but I wodner if long term free agents are in the Sox imemdiate plans.  At least they have some decent catcher prospect depth. 

And since it looks like they have foregone a "defense first" option at shortstop, maybe they will focus this way at catcher...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Sox4ever

One more big RH bat would be much appreciated as long as he can hit lefties, not all can.  Even one more big prospect/trade for another youngster like Stanton would be great if we could keep the right pieces.  I really hope Middy or Brentz can become those guys, then we wouldn't need to purchase another big RH bat.

Potentially, both Middy anf Brentz may have the ability to hit 30 Hrs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox4ever

One more big RH bat would be much appreciated as long as he can hit lefties, not all can.  Even one more big prospect/trade for another youngster like Stanton would be great if we could keep the right pieces.  I really hope Middy or Brentz can become those guys, then we wouldn't need to purchase another big RH bat.

Potentially, both Middy anf Brentz may have the ability to hit 30 Hrs.

Im not a fan of a Stanton trade. I know he has mucho power, but not a high BA and has had numerous little nagging injuries...Hes only played in 67 games this year and 123 the year before. His BA has been .267 with a 350OBP. His K/BB ratio has been bad, but has looked a little better this year. Although I believe its because they are pitching around him with nobody to protect him in the lineup.

Like J.Upton, Id rather wait to see how he does over the next 3 years and grab him in FA than give up all my top prospects. We have Bogaerts, who could very well be our Stanton. maybe not as much power, but 30HR potentil with a 300BA and high OBP for a lot less at a premium position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

What happened to Mauer?

He's done well, but being the top paid catcher in the history of MLB and the 4th highest contract in baseball, I think one might expect him to be the best at his position after the signing.

2010-2013 Qualifying Catchers:

WAR

1) Molina 17.5

2) Posey  17.2

3) Mauer  15.6

4) McCann 13.6

(6 others above 10.3)

He does have the highest catcher BA (.316)  & OBP (.400) since the signing, but...

2 catchers have a higher OPS.

7 catchers have a higher Slg%.

22 catchers have more HRs

At $23M a year until 2018, I guess I expected more, but he has done very well since the signing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Im not a fan of a Stanton trade. I know he has mucho power, but not a high BA and has had numerous little nagging injuries...Hes only played in 67 games this year and 123 the year before. His BA has been .267 with a 350OBP. His K/BB ratio has been bad, but has looked a little better this year. Although I believe its because they are pitching around him with nobody to protect him in the lineup.

Like J.Upton, Id rather wait to see how he does over the next 3 years and grab him in FA than give up all my top prospects. We have Bogaerts, who could very well be our Stanton. maybe not as much power, but 30HR potentil with a 300BA and high OBP for a lot less at a premium position.

I'd rather sign or trade for a player who is before his prime. Most free agents of that stature get 8-10 year deals that take them beyond their prime. There haven't been many Manny Ramirez types, and even he had issues as his contract neared its end.

I'd love to get Stanton, but I think the cost in prospects would be way too high.

I had hoped we'd have traded Lester for Myers, but I'm not sure KC would have done it. I was for trading for J Upton (with an extension) due to his age. There aren't many 25 year olds with 3500 PAs, 165 HRs and an OPS over .825.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Napoli has potential.  But Mark Reynolds and Kendrys Morales represent Plans B and C, and without potential hip concerns (that I know of).

If we spend big at catcher, 3B or OF, we could probably get by with Carp, Nava and Papi (at NL parks) at 1B next year.

Other options besides Napoli, Morales or Reynolds:

Morneau, Morse, and lessers like Loney

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'd rather sign or trade for a player who is before his prime. Most free agents of that stature get 8-10 year deals that take them beyond their prime. There haven't been many Manny Ramirez types, and even he had issues as his contract neared its end.

I'd love to get Stanton, but I think the cost in prospects would be way too high.

I had hoped we'd have traded Lester for Myers, but I'm not sure KC would have done it. I was for trading for J Upton (with an extension) due to his age. There aren't many 25 year olds with 3500 PAs, 165 HRs and an OPS over .825.

Sox4ever

This will make 2 years in a row, unless he comes on strong the last 2 months, that Upton has a very pedestrian year for all the hype. .785OPS last year and hes sitting at .809.

I dont disagree that he has the talent, but to me, has not been consistent and wasnt worth the prospects for only 3 years during our rebuilding years. Ill wait until hes 28 and in his prime when we have lots of payroll flexibility. By then we should know exactly who he is. Is he the .785OPS guy or the .875 one? Hes been back and forth every year.

I dont care if hes before his prime. His production has NOT been consistent year after year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Sox4ever

This will make 2 years in a row, unless he comes on strong the last 2 months, that Upton has a very pedestrian year for all the hype. .785OPS last year and hes sitting at .809.

I dont disagree that he has the talent, but to me, has not been consistent and wasnt worth the prospects for only 3 years during our rebuilding years. Ill wait until hes 28 and in his prime when we have lots of payroll flexibility. By then we should know exactly who he is. Is he the .785OPS guy or the .875 one? Hes been back and forth every year.

I dont care if hes before his prime. His production has NOT been consistent year after year.

Upton has always been a streaky offensive player and an average OF compared to BJ'S defense.  I know a lot of people wanted Justin in Boston but I'm not a huge fan.  If you could combine the skills of both brothers you may have a pretty solid player.