Revisiting B. McCann after surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Revisiting B. McCann after surgery

In response to notin's comment:

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

harness once told me we could never-ever get McCann. I have coveted this player a long time. Please Please Please

he should be our number one target...and call me crazy..we should resign napoli.

Napoli has potential.  But Mark Reynolds and Kendrys Morales represent Plans B and C, and without potential hip concerns (that I know of).

I like McCann, but I wodner if long term free agents are in the Sox imemdiate plans.  At least they have some decent catcher prospect depth. 

And since it looks like they have foregone a "defense first" option at shortstop, maybe they will focus this way at catcher...

yeah..i don't think the red sox will be giving 5 or 6 year contracts away like before....i think they will stick with the 3 year deals..and no way mccann will sign for that...and i forgot about mark reynolds..i always liked him...but somthing tells me we will stick with napoli...and he sounds like he likes being here...i think his hip will not bother him til his playing days are over... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This will make 2 years in a row, unless he comes on strong the last 2 months, that Upton has a very pedestrian year for all the hype. .785OPS last year and hes sitting at .809.

I dont disagree that he has the talent, but to me, has not been consistent and wasnt worth the prospects for only 3 years during our rebuilding years. Ill wait until hes 28 and in his prime when we have lots of payroll flexibility. By then we should know exactly who he is. Is he the .785OPS guy or the .875 one? Hes been back and forth every year.

I dont care if hes before his prime. His production has NOT been consistent year after year.

Not many players are as "consistent" as you amy wish them to be. Upton had some injury issues that effected his numbers somewhat, but I think if you look closer at his numbers, you'll find that his OPS has been between .785 and .899 for 6 straight years. My guess is that a .114 differential is better than 90% of MLB players in any 6 year sample size.

Upton is signed through 2015. I really am not sure we'll know more then than we know now, but if he does much better up to then, he'll cost a pretty penny to get- as did Manny.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not sure about his intangibles as a catcher, but I would rather have him than Salty. The problem is, he may cost 3 times what Salty costs and want a year or two too many on his "big deal". 

We need to fill 5 big slots this winter:

1) SS  (Boggy?)

2) 3B  (Middy/Cecchi?)

3) 1B  (Carp/Nava/Papi?)

4) CF  (JBJ/Victorino with Nava/Brentz in RF?)

5) Closer (Uehara/Bailey/Dempster/Villareal/other?)

If we intend to stay under the luxury tax limit, we will only have about $32M to spend, assuming we take Lester's option. That's not much to sign McCann and a couple other guys.

I'd love to see some of our young catching talent come up for a look, sooner rather than later. That might answer a few questions for us.

I wish we could somehow bring up a number of our young guys to play against Houston. If they can't hit Houston you know they need more seasoning in Pawtucket.

What FA pitching is going to be available this fall? If Lester starts looking like a BOTR pitcher, maybe you combine that 13 million with some spare change and go after FA?

Dempster's last start was a stinker, and he may be tiring at this point in the season, but he actually has put us in a position to win a lot more games than he's given credit for. Maybe we pick up some of his salary and include him in some kind of deal for needed pieces.

If some pitcher would become available late, maybe he'd pass thru waivers and we could even do a deal this year??

Maybe we work some multi-player deal for a MOTR starter, or maybe Webster gets better command of the fastball, or Wright has some good outings ...

We have good pitching prospect depth going forward and I can't wait to see how some of these guys pan out. Gonna be an interesting rest of the season!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not sure about his intangibles as a catcher, but I would rather have him than Salty. The problem is, he may cost 3 times what Salty costs and want a year or two too many on his "big deal". 

We need to fill 5 big slots this winter:

1) SS  (Boggy?)

2) 3B  (Middy/Cecchi?)

3) 1B  (Carp/Nava/Papi?)

4) CF  (JBJ/Victorino with Nava/Brentz in RF?)

5) Closer (Uehara/Bailey/Dempster/Villareal/other?)

If we intend to stay under the luxury tax limit, we will only have about $32M to spend, assuming we take Lester's option. That's not much to sign McCann and a couple other guys.

I'd love to see some of our young catching talent come up for a look, sooner rather than later. That might answer a few questions for us.

I wish we could somehow bring up a number of our young guys to play against Houston. If they can't hit Houston you know they need more seasoning in Pawtucket.

You really think a 3 game series sample size would have any meaning?

Even a couple of weeks would tell very little.

What FA pitching is going to be available this fall? If Lester starts looking like a BOTR pitcher, maybe you combine that 13 million with some spare change and go after FA?

There is a $13M team option with a $.25ZM buyout. If we let Lester go, we'll have about $45M to spend. If we keep him, we will have about $32M to spend and stay below the luxury tax limit. We could also take the option then trade him.

There's enough money to sign a FA pitcher, but we also have 6 big openings to fill:

C (Salty)

1B (Napoli)

3B (Iggy)

SS (Drew)

CF (Ellsbury)

Closer (Hanrahan)

My guess is that Lester or no Lester, we won't sign a FA SP this winter.

Dempster's last start was a stinker, and he may be tiring at this point in the season, but he actually has put us in a position to win a lot more games than he's given credit for. Maybe we pick up some of his salary and include him in some kind of deal for needed pieces.

Maybe.

If some pitcher would become available late, maybe he'd pass thru waivers and we could even do a deal this year??

Doubtful. Some team below us would snag him up.

Maybe we work some multi-player deal for a MOTR starter, or maybe Webster gets better command of the fastball, or Wright has some good outings ...

We have good pitching prospect depth going forward and I can't wait to see how some of these guys pan out. Gonna be an interesting rest of the season!

True enough.

Sections
Shortcuts